HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our Penalty Kill sucks without Vermette.

Old
03-12-2009, 06:50 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senateurs View Post
I don't mind seeing Alfi on the PK but he has become our #1 pk player. We definately need someone else to play some PK for next year. Right now, Kelly has become indispensable just because fo his PK habilities and very expensive at the same time.
I don't know. He's kinda average on the pk without Vermette now. He's not bad on it mind you, but he's not half of the best pk'ing duo in the NHL anymore.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

You guys/gals should see Greg Mauldin kill penalties, it's a joy to watch..

Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Ron Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpzer0 View Post
Vermette was a locker room cancer and snorted cockaine.

Proof: he's not here and we're suddenly winning.
Given that logic, Emery was a locker room messiah and was too busy going to church every day to even think about doing drugs because since his buyout, they team has gone for a *****.

Ron Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
How many teams in the NHL have a 36 year old as their top player? If you ride him hard for 20+ minutes every night, not only do you risk injury, he'll be sucking so much wind by the time march comes around he'll be totattly useless come playoff time.
Detroit Red Wings : Nicklas Lidstrom (38)
New Jersey Devils : Martin Brodeur (36)
Vancouver Canucks : Mats Sundin (38)
Anaheim Ducks : Scott Niedermayer (36), Chris Pronger (35)
St-Louis Blues : Keith Tkachuk (37)
Colorado Avalanche : Joe Sakic (39)
Montreal Canadiens : Alexei Kovalev (36)
Carolina Hurricanes : Rod Brind’Amour (38) *was their top player at 36
Dallas Stars : Mike Modano (38), Sergei Zubov (38) * were their top players not long ago

With more research I could go on and on for the past decade…

As long as Alfie can be our top player (and he wasn’t this season), what’s wrong with that? He also has Heatley and Spezza to share the load. Those guys are in top shape. They are athletes. Alfie is made of steel, look how fast he comes back from injuries…

Anyway, thx for the laughs. You should get some info before posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouDaMan View Post
Given that logic, Emery was a locker room messiah and was too busy going to church every day to even think about doing drugs because since his buyout, they team has gone for a *****.
Well, he did put a , so he wasn't really serious

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Detroit Red Wings : Nicklas Lidstrom (38)
New Jersey Devils : Martin Brodeur (36)
Vancouver Canucks : Mats Sundin (38)
Anaheim Ducks : Scott Niedermayer (36), Chris Pronger (35)
St-Louis Blues : Keith Tkachuk (37)
Colorado Avalanche : Joe Sakic (39)
Montreal Canadiens : Alexei Kovalev (36)
Carolina Hurricanes : Rod Brind’Amour (38) *was their top player at 36
Dallas Stars : Mike Modano (38), Sergei Zubov (38) * were their top players not long ago

With more research I could go on and on for the past decade…

As long as Alfie can be our top player (and he wasn’t this season), what’s wrong with that? He also has Heatley and Spezza to share the load. Those guys are in top shape. They are athletes. Alfie is made of steel, look how fast he comes back from injuries…

Anyway, thx for the laughs. You should get some info before posting.

D-men can play the game at higher level much longer. Not surprisingly, they make up 95% of your list.

Modano has lost about 27 steps. Ribeiro is their main guy now. Kovalev is dominant once every four game, which is just about the most you can expect out of a 36 year old player. Keith Tkachuk hasn't been relevant in hockey for nearly 10 years.

Look at the top 20 scorers in the league and pull out the players above 35. I doubt you'll find two.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 12:28 PM
jbeck5

4 of 11 doesn't equal 95%. It's 36%.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Ouroboros

I guess Mats Sundin is better than Luongo now...

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
D-men can play the game at higher level much longer. Not surprisingly, they make up 95% of your list.

Modano has lost about 27 steps. Ribeiro is their main guy now. Kovalev is dominant once every four game, which is just about the most you can expect out of a 36 year old player. Keith Tkachuk hasn't been relevant in hockey for nearly 10 years.

Look at the top 20 scorers in the league and pull out the players above 35. I doubt you'll find two.

Well, Alfie is 22nd in scoring. I don't see the problem with him playing PK time. You should ask him if he hates it...

Did you know that guys like Mike Richards, Jeff carter, Shawn Horcoff, Mikko Koivu, Patrick Marleau, Jason Pominville, Chris Drury, Derek Roy, Alexander Frolov, Paul Stastny, Joe Pavelski and Kris Versteeg all have more shorthanded time on the ice per game? Simon Gagne and Patrice Bergeron are equal with Alfie as well...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/app?service=p...OIPerGame&pg=3

Whining about Alfie getting more PK for the remaining 20 games because we traded a PK player, is just another way to be negative about everything, something that i find amusing, annoying and ridiculous at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
I guess Mats Sundin is better than Luongo now...
didn't include much goalies, because they are special.

Well, Sundin is (at least supposedly) one of their top players... I don't think many teams have ONLY 1 top player. Even New Jersey who have Brodeur. They also have Parise and Langenbrunner who are MVPs too.

Old
03-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Suiteness

Quote:
Did you know that guys like Mike Richards, Jeff carter, Shawn Horcoff, Mikko Koivu, Patrick Marleau, Jason Pominville, Chris Drury, Derek Roy, Alexander Frolov, Paul Stastny, Joe Pavelski and Kris Versteeg all have more shorthanded time on the ice per game? Simon Gagne and Patrice Bergeron are equal with Alfie as well...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/app?service=p...OIPerGame&pg=3
Did you know none of these guys are on the wrong side of 35?

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 08:10 PM
hockeycountry

Quote:
Whining about Alfie getting more PK for the remaining 20 games because we traded a PK player, is just another way to be negative about everything, something that i find amusing, annoying and ridiculous at the same time.
Take the trade out of the equation; it's the catalyst, not the point. The point is that Alfie isn't getting any younger, and that adding top PK minutes to his already substantial minutes WILL wear on him over the course of a season. Have we already forgotten how overplayed the top three were in the first half of last year and how it affected them in the second half? Same principle.

This is not out of left field, nor is it rocket science. Alfie has an injury history as long as my arm, has a history of returning from injuries sooner than he should, and when given the choice, almost always takes on more than he should. Of course he's not complaining. But you yourself said he hasn't been on top of his game this year -- do you really think NONE of that is age-related, given how much wear and tear he's gotten from playing as much and as hard as he does? The point is to keep him healthy and playing at a high level for as long as possible, since I'm sorry to say he is not actually made of steel. That includes not playing him where you don't have to, especially when the man is already carrying a good deal of the offensive burden. So yeah, the team needs to look into supplementing the PK. Alfie can stay on it, but preferably not on the first unit. Is that really so ridiculous?

hockeycountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 11:46 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeycountry View Post
Take the trade out of the equation; it's the catalyst, not the point. The point is that Alfie isn't getting any younger, and that adding top PK minutes to his already substantial minutes WILL wear on him over the course of a season. Have we already forgotten how overplayed the top three were in the first half of last year and how it affected them in the second half? Same principle.

This is not out of left field, nor is it rocket science. Alfie has an injury history as long as my arm, has a history of returning from injuries sooner than he should, and when given the choice, almost always takes on more than he should. Of course he's not complaining. But you yourself said he hasn't been on top of his game this year -- do you really think NONE of that is age-related, given how much wear and tear he's gotten from playing as much and as hard as he does? The point is to keep him healthy and playing at a high level for as long as possible, since I'm sorry to say he is not actually made of steel. That includes not playing him where you don't have to, especially when the man is already carrying a good deal of the offensive burden. So yeah, the team needs to look into supplementing the PK. Alfie can stay on it, but preferably not on the first unit. Is that really so ridiculous?
Do you really mind if he plays 2-3 minutes of PK per game for the 14 remaining games? (assuming that we won't make the playoffs)

Next year is next year, for now Alfie on the PK is the short term solution. You can't ask rookies like Winchester (who was good at it today) and Regin to take those responsabilities, plus with a rookie netminder... You need some experience too

Quote:
Did you know none of these guys are on the wrong side of 35?
Nevermind ok? I feel like talking with a mailbox. Age wasn't a factor in my last post but only in the previous. The players i've listed are supposed to be offensive players but they play a lot of PK because they are good at it and are a shorthanded goal threat. That's what you get when you're good at something. Alfie is an all-around player, one of the best in the world. Ask coachs, players, GMs, medias, well people that know more than us. I don't mind if Alfie play 1 or 2 minutes per game on the PK, even next year. For now, he is playing a bit more because we moved Vermette and McAmmond and we don't have enough experienced PKers... Simple as that