HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NYR/TOR] Antropov to Rangers for 2nd + conditional 2010 pick

Old
03-08-2009, 04:48 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaky37 View Post
My Question is, how do the Ranger fans feel about Nik Antropov so far from what they seen of him?
Happy so far. Great hands for a big guy and he doesn't seem that slow for a big man either.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
Us Toronto fans always overrate our players. That explains why everyone suddenly loves them when they're no longer Leafs and are one of the better players on their new team.
I don't know 'bout that. I still think Wellwood, Tucker, Raycroft, Kronwall, both Bells, and Steen aren't much. Coliacovo was injury prone with the Leafs but apparently magically not anymore and Antropov was liked, just not worth a 1st rounder, McCabe was bad with the Leafs...you guys boo him do you not, and everyone wanted Sundin.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 05:49 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by awright1393 View Post
2nd rounders arent as likely to play next year.
Are first rounders? How many first rounders are playing this year? And if they're playing, they're being paid.

03-08-2009, 06:25 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Are first rounders? How many first rounders are playing this year? And if they're playing, they're being paid.
not much. thats the point. and why does it seem as though an administrator is trolling?

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 06:38 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by awright1393 View Post
not much. thats the point. and why does it seem as though an administrator is trolling?
So what's better, paying a guy not much or making the playoffs and making more money for the franchise when the guy you acquired off the books?

I still don't see how the economy was the reason why Burke couldn't get a first.

Trolling? Uh, no.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 06:38 PM
leaky37

Us Leaf fans said all along that Antropov will help 95% of the teams that he could be traded to but everyone kept saying that he sucks! Funny all of a sudden that he is doing something with the Rangers 3 points in 2 games and he is all of a sudden a good player and Drury's points are going to explode now because of him? Weird

leaky37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 07:01 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
So what's better, paying a guy not much or making the playoffs and making more money for the franchise when the guy you acquired off the books?

I still don't see how the economy was the reason why Burke couldn't get a first.

Trolling? Uh, no.
i'd say its more cap management for nyr, it's not really a franchise thats crying poor. but the economy WILL lower the cap, and teams need to be ready for it. especially teams with bloated salary, sound familiar? so you employ cheap young players to augment your overpaid stars(?). i beleived he would have gotten a 1st, but if i'm a gm, i wouldnt give one lower than 25 any year.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 07:04 PM
grabo84

Quote:

Trolling? Uh, no.
The way I read that statement, was that it was the hockey economy that was atypical, emphasis on hockey. This may have something to do with the uncertain outside economy (owners unwilling to add to roster expenses, GMs looking ahead to potential cap rollbacks, etc.) but I don't think that was the main point. There's no doubt that GMs were unwilling to clean their cupboards for rentals, which wasn't true of previous years.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 09:18 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Happy so far. Great hands for a big guy and he doesn't seem that slow for a big man either.
Antropov can be a really good player, and it seems as though the NYR have seen that side of Antro so far. The challenge with Nik is, he can disappear for weeks (from the stats sheet), although even through his scoring slumps, he still plays decent hockey. Unfortunately for fans of the NYR, if he has a good finish to the season, you don't know when the scoring slump will emerge. I'd have to think that is why he didn't get the 1st round pick.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 09:28 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I don't know 'bout that. I still think Wellwood, Tucker, Raycroft, Kronwall, both Bells, and Steen aren't much. Coliacovo was injury prone with the Leafs but apparently magically not anymore and Antropov was liked, just not worth a 1st rounder, McCabe was bad with the Leafs...you guys boo him do you not, and everyone wanted Sundin.
McCabe scored 19G-68pts in 73gp, and in a seperate season went 4th in Norris voting in a Leafs uniform. This guy was far from bad. He made some defensive blunders but he had offensive skill dripping out of his bum..It was the Toronto media and fans that wouldn't leave him alone that ruined him.

Antropov and Kaberle were/are overrated according to non-Leafs fans, but now Antropov is a guy with soft hands and really isn't that slow at all! Watch when Kaberle eventually leaves our team, he will be immediately called the "biggest discount in the league!".

I've read two seperate threads on how Wellwood was playing great hockey in the beggining of the year when he was scoring goals in bunches and when Raycroft went on his 7 game winning streak.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 10:07 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

No, Raycroft stinks.

The rest of the league blamed the leafs' crappy defense, and said our goalies were not the problem.

Tell that to Colorado now.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 07:38 AM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
i doubt it. not going into why antropov is better, but the isles and rangers just don't do such a deal. and besides, it will be more than a 5th if his acquisition pays off...
My post wasn't an attack at Ranger fan(s), it was at the troll whom i responded too. Antropov is and should be a better addition to the Rangers than Guerin would have been,

That all being said I would have paid a 5th for Guerin before giving up a 2nd + 3rd in this years draft for Antropov.

the top 60 players in this years draft are some of the best young players in the world, and a 2nd rounder now becomes as important as a 1st.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 08:16 AM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
No, Raycroft stinks.

The rest of the league blamed the leafs' crappy defense, and said our goalies were not the problem.

To be fair, Colorado has no defense either.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 10:46 AM
In The Flesh

I never really payed attention to Antro on the Leafs, like him so far, didn't know how big he was, love it when he shots, good hands too. Excited about seeing what he can do the rest of the way.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Hulk Hogan*

I don't really get the bashing here.

Teams were reluctant to move 1st rounders due to the imminent salary cap drop in the 2010/11 season. Due to this drop, teams will need cheap talent, hence developing their picks into NHL regulars.

In any of the past 4 trade deadlines, Antropov would have gone for a 1st rounder. Why do you think Murray held onto Kuba and Neil in Ottawa? The offers were downright terrible.

Hulk Hogan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 10:13 AM
Vitto79

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03112009...vs__159043.htm

got a 2nd back....nice move and makes this deal look better

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
McCabe scored 19G-68pts in 73gp, and in a seperate season went 4th in Norris voting in a Leafs uniform. This guy was far from bad. He made some defensive blunders but he had offensive skill dripping out of his bum..It was the Toronto media and fans that wouldn't leave him alone that ruined him.
Exactly, he wasn't good when you traded him. There is should be no way you should expect his value to be as high as it was in 05/06 and 06/07 in the summer of 07/08 where he had 5G-23pts in 54gp. He was playing bad when they traded him. If you read the McCabe rumour threads, people expected quite a bit more than McCabe actually returned, thus people overrated his value. But I agree, he was underrated as a Leaf. Kinda like Souray when he was a Hab.

Quote:
Antropov and Kaberle were/are overrated according to non-Leafs fans, but now Antropov is a guy with soft hands and really isn't that slow at all! Watch when Kaberle eventually leaves our team, he will be immediately called the "biggest discount in the league!".
Not many non-Leafs fans here are saying Antro's worth a first rounder...
Kaberle is a good defenseman, but some of the proposals here seem ridiculous to me and many others. Hence the overrated tag. The guy I quoted said, "Us Toronto fans always overrate our players. That explains why everyone suddenly loves them when they're no longer Leafs and are one of the better players on their new team". All I'm saying this isn't accurate. For example, Antro still wasn't/isn't worth a first as people suggested, thus those people overrated his value. There were people liked him before he got traded too...just didn't think he was worth what Leafs fans suggested.

Quote:
I've read two seperate threads on how Wellwood was playing great hockey in the beggining of the year when he was scoring goals in bunches and when Raycroft went on his 7 game winning streak.
Well now they aren't doing well. Wellwood still gets benched once and a while and Raycroft is Raycroft. I think Wellwood and Raycroft still suck and pretty much worthless.

Old
03-13-2009, 02:51 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
For example, Antro still wasn't/isn't worth a first as people suggested, thus those people overrated his value. There were people liked him before he got traded too...just didn't think he was worth what Leafs fans suggested.
No, they over rated the market place based on previous years. Lesser players than Antropov went for first round picks in the past and he got the maximum or close to it of any pending UFA at the deadline.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 03:34 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
No, they over rated the market place based on previous years. Lesser players than Antropov went for first round picks in the past and he got the maximum or close to it of any pending UFA at the deadline.
Well said.

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 05:04 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
I never really payed attention to Antro on the Leafs, like him so far
Its always amazed me how few posters(you may or may not fall into this category) watch games not involving their team. Last season there was a thread on the Leafs board about other NHL games and it was usually the same dozen or so posters who posted in it.
I love watching hockey, Leafs games or otherwise.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Unk

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
Its always amazed me how few posters(you may or may not fall into this category) watch games not involving their team. Last season there was a thread on the Leafs board about other NHL games and it was usually the same dozen or so posters who posted in it.
I love watching hockey, Leafs games or otherwise.
Ah, me too. Last night I was watching on an online feed and after my team was done it switched to some other hockey games. However, it's not always so easy to watch more than one team. With work and wall, following one can be difficult, and anymore is harder, but if I had the effort and time I'd definitely like to follow some other teams.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Well I've had discussion on that before. The main argument for that seems to be Nagy, who had 2 prior seasons of elite point production to back up his earning of a first. Something Antropov doesn't have. Another is Zubrus, who got a low first from the president trophy winning Sabres. He put up better numbers then than Antropov has now and was arguably was better at the time than Antro is now.

Old
03-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
No, Raycroft stinks.

Raycroft is horrible. But that doesn't change the fact that the Leafs' defense is even worse.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 03:27 PM
RhyZa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhyZa View Post
Agreed. Great pickup by the Rangers, while others were asleep at the wheel. at them if anything

RhyZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 04:43 PM
mapes

Good to see Antro doing so well with the Rangers. Always a great player and seemed like a good guy. People said he fed off Sundin for years.. well where is Sundin this year? Wasn't on the Leafs.. then he can't play without Poni.. but look at what he's doing now. I wish sometimes he used his size a bit more but has a great shot and I hope he does well in the future. I'm happy with what Leafs got since he was a UFA so we had to give him for the highest bidder.

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote