HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Historical prospective sites for expansion and relocation (1983-2004)

Old
03-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Moobles

vCash: 500
Historical prospective sites for expansion and relocation (1983-2004)

Hey, I'm new to the boards, and starting with a post like this I suppose is a little dangerous, haha but I'll give it a shot. I've been reading stuff for the past few weeks and these are awesome forums, just thought I'd say.

Like the title says, I'm interested if anyone knows any prospective sites (as in cities/arenas) the NHL had considered for expansion or relocation between 1984 to 2004 (if there was any point where they seriously considered expansion after that, that definitely would be interesting as well). I was just having a talk with my friends and we all remembered at some point the Oilers ownership was in serious trouble and talking about a move to Houston (any documentation on this would be interesting), and it just got me thinking about all the other kinds of rumors that could've flown around that I might've missed (given the NHL expanded 8 teams and relocated 3 between when I was born and when I was 10).

What this thread is NOT for is:
1) A debate about who deserves a franchise, who shouldn't have been moved or who should've been added. I'm just looking for the cold hard data (or if that's not good enough you can just throw out hearsay since gossiping is fun). In no way am I trying to offend current franchises or relocated franchises, I just wanted to put up the question since I'm curious.
2) Not a debate ABOUT expansion, contraction, maintaining the status quo etc. I'm just wondering what sites the NHL HAS thought about in the past (and by thought about I mean, x city put in a bid to get an expansion franchise, x owner almost had a deal to get a franchise but pulled out, etc.) There are other threads (that I've read and enjoyed) on those topics so I suppose if you feel very strongly about that subject this isn't the thread for it (or that's not my intent).
3) Not a debate about places NHL teams could relocate to now. I'm only looking for 1983-2004 and not looking to start a firewar about things that have already been talked about.

The reason why I chose 1983-2004 was because I already saw a thread about the Blues-Saskatoon move and didn't want to repeat that discussion, so I pushed it a year ahead. I wasn't alive for the eighties and was a little kid for expansion in the 90s, so I didn't get to experience the rumors of places the NHL was looking at or relocation rumors (some obviously became true). I'm just looking to entertain and say "huh, well that's cool". So yeah, if anyone has any info on it (documentation is always nice) or you just wanna throw in a rumor or some hearsay that you remember (or know) that's cool too. Hopefully you guys remember some for entertainment value : D

If there's already a thread about this I apologize, just point me in the right direction (I didn't find one when I searched hehe).

Cheers! (and it's snowing again in Vancouver, woo hoo!)

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 03:00 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
I think the NHL vetoed the St. Louis owner's attempt to move the Blues to Saskatoon (yes, seriously) in the 80's.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

These should get you started.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/40205

http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...9&slug=1056891

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 04:37 PM
Moobles

Quote:
I think the NHL vetoed the St. Louis owner's attempt to move the Blues to Saskatoon (yes, seriously) in the 80's.
Yes, I remember reading the thread that was done on it and they discussed it. Very interesting.

Wow those are very interesting! Haha, do you have any more like that or any places I should search. I can't remember where I read it, I should go look it up but I remember reading Milwaukee pulled their bid out but it was one of those pay-to-see newspapers so I only got a snippet. Interesting stuff!

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 07:04 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

I just did a Google search for those, by searching NHL expansion Hampton Roads and NHL expansion Milwaukee.

It's not failsafe, as you have to slog through all sorts of unrelated matches (hfboards threads, for example, came up a lot wnever someone here posted "They should exapand to Milwaukee!", so it's a little trial an error.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote