HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Broke CCM U+ Stick. Salvageable?

Old
03-14-2009, 11:33 PM
Saved*

vCash: 500
Broke CCM U+ Stick. Salvageable?

Hiya.

I came in as a trailer, tapped the ice for the one time pass, and as it came out, I wired a one-timer. Blade completely disintegrated. It broke maybe 1 inch above the blade.

I've tried to find out the answer as I've felt like this would happen for awhile. The stick feels great, but I feel like it will break when I take a shot. Well, it finally did.

Is it officially done? or can I use it as a shaft? It's 24' tapered, so I assume if I was to pick up a blade, it would be a tapered blade. Anyone with any experience in this, please help me out. I love the feel of the stick (maybe prefer a different curve) and would like to salvage the shaft if possible.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

I just did this with four Brooklynite sticks, Cut it with a hacksaw inch by inch until you could potentially fit a blade in there. you may have to go up 6 inches or so, so be prepared to use an end plug.
theres a picture of one of my new two pieces on the Brooklynite hockey thread.

keep in mind however, some shafts are rounded on the inside, so you may have to reshape the end part of a blade (hozel?). if your shaft is rounded, I recommend a wooden blade as it will be easier to work with.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 10:25 AM
raganblink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
I just did this with four Brooklynite sticks, Cut it with a hacksaw inch by inch until you could potentially fit a blade in there. you may have to go up 6 inches or so, so be prepared to use an end plug.
theres a picture of one of my new two pieces on the Brooklynite hockey thread.

keep in mind however, some shafts are rounded on the inside, so you may have to reshape the end part of a blade (hozel?). if your shaft is rounded, I recommend a wooden blade as it will be easier to work with.
FYI, ^ is a temp. fix. You are going to fly through blades if you put a blade where you broke it instead of flipping it an putting a standard blade in the butt end.

Since the stick is tapered down, when you stick the blade in, at the top of the blade it is not going to be touching the sides of shaft, and it will be signficiantly weaker, and your going to break that thing on your first slapper.

Just get a standard blade and put it in the butt end. Dont waste your time and money putting a tapered blade on the bottom.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 03:29 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by raganblink View Post
FYI, ^ is a temp. fix. You are going to fly through blades if you put a blade where you broke it instead of flipping it an putting a standard blade in the butt end.

Since the stick is tapered down, when you stick the blade in, at the top of the blade it is not going to be touching the sides of shaft, and it will be signficiantly weaker, and your going to break that thing on your first slapper.

Just get a standard blade and put it in the butt end. Dont waste your time and money putting a tapered blade on the bottom.
No you won't, and never flip it.

What on earth are you talking about? You can buy tapered blades that fit perfectly into a tapered shaft, and you get much better performance. If you flip it and stick a standard blade in, you loose anything and everything that made that stick worth shooting. You'll screw up the flex, you'll screw up the kickpoint.

I use cut OPS as tapered shafts all the time as regular sticks, they become pretty much the exact same thing as a tapered shaft bought from a store. There is no logic to the idea that a tapered blade will break faster then a standard one. It makes it a tapered shaft, and they make tapered blades to go into tapered shafts.

The only time you should ever use a standard blade is in a shaft made for it. If you flip a top end OPS, your expensive stick gets worse performance then a $20 shaft. Turn it into a tapred stick and you get the performance of a $100 tapered shaft.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

The only problem youll have when cutting it down is the paint may chip. Mine started to, I put some clear nail polish around the edges so hopefully this will stop it.
Anyone know how to stop the chipping?

Old
03-16-2009, 08:28 AM
GuitarAwesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
No you won't, and never flip it.

What on earth are you talking about? You can buy tapered blades that fit perfectly into a tapered shaft, and you get much better performance. If you flip it and stick a standard blade in, you loose anything and everything that made that stick worth shooting. You'll screw up the flex, you'll screw up the kickpoint.

I use cut OPS as tapered shafts all the time as regular sticks, they become pretty much the exact same thing as a tapered shaft bought from a store. There is no logic to the idea that a tapered blade will break faster then a standard one. It makes it a tapered shaft, and they make tapered blades to go into tapered shafts.

The only time you should ever use a standard blade is in a shaft made for it. If you flip a top end OPS, your expensive stick gets worse performance then a $20 shaft. Turn it into a tapred stick and you get the performance of a $100 tapered shaft.
You assume have a broken stick cut down is the same as a tapered shaft? Are you insane?
Flipping it over is stupid, do not do this unless you are using it for ball hockey or something. However, cutting it ans sticking a blade in, does NOT equal instant awesome stick. If you cut too much off, you lose the kickpoint ALTOGETHER, and the shaft is weighted wrong, and feels like garbage anyways. Just cutting a stick until you can stick a blade in and assuming it's an awesome stick is for idiots.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAwesome View Post
You assume have a broken stick cut down is the same as a tapered shaft? Are you insane?
Flipping it over is stupid, do not do this unless you are using it for ball hockey or something. However, cutting it ans sticking a blade in, does NOT equal instant awesome stick. If you cut too much off, you lose the kickpoint ALTOGETHER, and the shaft is weighted wrong, and feels like garbage anyways. Just cutting a stick until you can stick a blade in and assuming it's an awesome stick is for idiots.

I know youre addressing the other poster but,
He asked if there was a way to salvage it, not find out if he could make it into a different product. I told him how to salvage it.

Old
03-16-2009, 11:13 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Quote:
No, I'm not insane, I've done it. Several times. I have a commercially made tapered shaft to compare it too.

The fact is that a most tapered OPS are bonded- meaning that they're made as a shaft first and a blade is added to them second. those shafts are pretty much the exact same thing (shafts typically lag behind a stick generation).

And the kickpoint is determined by the taper. If you can fit a tapered blade in, there's still a taper left, and thus a kickpoint.

And since most are bonded OPS, the weighting will be pretty much the same as it was before.

Should I also mention that on most OPS the walls of the shaft are thinner up top? That means they'll crack easier. That means less durable.

Of course, the U+ is a mono comp, so you'll screw up the balance and the weight some either way.

But quite frankly sir, you've received the wrong advice. The only reason you flip a stick is because it's just easier to stick a standard blade in the other end. But it does make it worthless as anything but a ball hockey stick. In ice hockey you need your stick to flex correctly.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 11:13 AM
IniNew

Quote:
Well, like he said, he knows from experience that it is a decent way to go about using a broken OPS. And I agree, I've been using a broken OPS as a tapered shaft for a while now, and there's really no reason to not do it.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote