HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

World Cup officiating

Closed Thread

Old
09-01-2004, 11:36 AM
SmokeyClause

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
World Cup officiating

I'm not here to bash the officials of the World Cup as I have no major problems with the way they officiated. I even thought they made several great calls that they never would have made in the NHL. That being said, am I the only one a bit disturbed by the fact that North American referees are reffing games involving North Americans. It seems to me to be a significant conflict of interest. The refs for last nights Team Canada/Team USA game were Brad Watson (Canadian) and Paul Devorski (Canadian). The linesman were Brian Murphy (American) and Tim Nowak (American). It's extremely hard to ask an individual to throw out all biases. It's so hard that in most cases in the real world, these people would be deemed unfit to judge.

I'm not accusing these guys of any intentional wrong doing. But aren't they put under unnecessary and undue strain by having to ref their home countries? It's like reffing a game involving your little kid. You might be too lenient or, for fear of being judged too lenient, you call his team or him too strict. I don't think it would be too much to ask to have nationally impartial refs and linesman. I'm sure the other hockey nations would be happy to supply.

Old
09-01-2004, 12:15 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I'm not here to bash the officials of the World Cup as I have no major problems with the way they officiated. I even thought they made several great calls that they never would have made in the NHL. That being said, am I the only one a bit disturbed by the fact that North American referees are reffing games involving North Americans. It seems to me to be a significant conflict of interest. The refs for last nights Team Canada/Team USA game were Brad Watson (Canadian) and Paul Devorski (Canadian). The linesman were Brian Murphy (American) and Tim Nowak (American). It's extremely hard to ask an individual to throw out all biases. It's so hard that in most cases in the real world, these people would be deemed unfit to judge.

I'm not accusing these guys of any intentional wrong doing. But aren't they put under unnecessary and undue strain by having to ref their home countries? It's like reffing a game involving your little kid. You might be too lenient or, for fear of being judged too lenient, you call his team or him too strict. I don't think it would be too much to ask to have nationally impartial refs and linesman. I'm sure the other hockey nations would be happy to supply.
From what I understand they're using NHL rules and regulations, that's why their are no international referees...

These were the refs/linesmen for the Sweden and Germany game...Referees: Dan Marouelli, Kevin Pollock. Linesmen: Brad Kovachik, Derek Amell.

Old
09-02-2004, 01:39 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause

Agreed. That being said, the USA/Canada game certainly had its controversial officiating, i.e. the 2nd Canadien goal as well as the Lemuix/Konowalchuk "scrum".

Great game regardless, and I hope to see the two play for Gold.

09-02-2004, 10:28 AM
Upchuck19

Overall the reffing calls have been like a NHL game. I always hate international refs for the bad calls.

Closed Thread