HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Moving to Brooklyn

Old
03-16-2009, 11:42 AM
JSTAFF

vCash: 500
Moving to Brooklyn

I will be moving to Brooklyn for a new job and I have been looking everyone online trying to find the right place to be looking for an apartment. I have never been to New York so I pretty much know nothing about it. I'm aware that i'm a Flyers fan but I thought I would give this a try anyway. Where are the best places to live? (cost-benefit ratio). I'm not really sure about my price ranges and I'm not THAT worried about sketchy neighborhoods. I'm a young professional so a little bit of a social life would be good as well as some decent restauraunts. Anyone with any info I would be very grateful. (1 or 2 bedrooms)

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Reverend_Hellh0und

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafuccijr View Post
I will be moving to Brooklyn for a new job and I have been looking everyone online trying to find the right place to be looking for an apartment. I have never been to New York so I pretty much know nothing about it. I'm aware that i'm a Flyers fan but I thought I would give this a try anyway. Where are the best places to live? (cost-benefit ratio). I'm not really sure about my price ranges and I'm not THAT worried about sketchy neighborhoods. I'm a young professional so a little bit of a social life would be good as well as some decent restauraunts. Anyone with any info I would be very grateful. (1 or 2 bedrooms)

as a flyers fan I recommend Brownsville.

Reverend_Hellh0und is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Fletch

Bed-Stuy is a neighborhood that's been looking up these days.

But seriously, it really depends on what you're looking for; what you can afford, how many bedrooms you need and how many wou will settle on; if you have a car or not; where in NYC will you be working, etc. Brooklyn's a big place and there's something for everyone; even for Flyers fans.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I PM'ed you Stafucc.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 12:31 PM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I PM'ed you Stafucc.
Ya I got it, thanks for your help man.

Old
03-16-2009, 12:31 PM
levski87

Bay Ridge, but if anything, Park Slope.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 12:34 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

lol at Bed Stuy

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 12:52 PM
ogie

east new york is lovely this time of year

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 01:03 PM
LamoTheKid

Actually, if you can get near the subway, Bed-Stuy isnt that bad. the spillover from Willburgh and Greenpoint is hitting it.

you want to look in:
Williamsburgh
Greenpoint
Park Slope
Brooklyn Heights
Bay Ridge
Certain parts of Red Hook and Bushwick are decent too.

Where will you be working? All I have to say, is avoid the G train at all costs if you can. If you're relying on it to get to work your commute will be hell. The L on the other hand, while crowded is pretty good, and now RUN BY ROBOTS.

Honestly though, check out Greenpoint, its where I'm hopefully moving to in a few months. Right next to Willyburgh where all the good bars and music are and you get a lot more bang for your buck (and Manhattan ave kicks so much ass its not even funny).

Id love to recommend the bad areas (Brownsville, ENY) seeing how youre a Flyers fan, but I just cant do it.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 01:21 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
Actually, if you can get near the subway, Bed-Stuy isnt that bad. the spillover from Willburgh and Greenpoint is hitting it.

you want to look in:
Williamsburgh
Greenpoint
Park Slope
Brooklyn Heights
Bay Ridge
Certain parts of Red Hook and Bushwick are decent too.

Where will you be working? All I have to say, is avoid the G train at all costs if you can. If you're relying on it to get to work your commute will be hell. The L on the other hand, while crowded is pretty good, and now RUN BY ROBOTS.

Honestly though, check out Greenpoint, its where I'm hopefully moving to in a few months. Right next to Willyburgh where all the good bars and music are and you get a lot more bang for your buck (and Manhattan ave kicks so much ass its not even funny).

Id love to recommend the bad areas (Brownsville, ENY) seeing how youre a Flyers fan, but I just cant do it.

Greenpoint really is the winner. I currently live there. Where Williamsburg is 800+ sq/ft, Greenpoint is ~$530. You probably won't be buying, but that affects rents too. A decent 2 bdr starts at 1600.

The neighborhoods are really safe and mostly Polish. If it wasn't for the economic downturn, I would suggest Bushwick. However, it's gentrification has slowed considerably and it can still be quite gritty and sketchy late at night. The marginally lower rent isn't worth the neighborhood, especially since there is much less to do compared to Greenpoint/Williamsburg.

In Greenpoint, you'll have less than a 10 minute walk to the L (which is less than 10 minutes to Manhattan - 14th street from 1st Ave to 8ave).

And while Park Slope, Carroll Gardens, Boreum Hill, and the surrounding neighborhoods are fantastic, they'll most likely be completely out of your price bracket. Greenpoint/Williamsburg are the strongest 22-30 yr/old demographics.

Last edited by frozenrubber: 03-16-2009 at 01:32 PM.
frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 01:34 PM
LamoTheKid

Ive been looking in Park Slope for ***** and giggles and MY GOD its out of control over there. Really nice but not worth it in my opinion. though being 3 stops from Canal St would be REALLY nice (I work on Walker).

but yeah, Greenpoint it is for me L to the N, bang. No more Astoria-Ditmars to Canal St. nonsense.

Old
03-16-2009, 01:39 PM
JSTAFF

I will defintley look into Greenpoint/Williamsburg as that seems to be the general consensus. Ya I was looking on craigslist and Park Slope seems to be out of my price range due to awesome student loans. Thanks for the descriptive response Lamo.

Old
03-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Ive been looking in Park Slope for ***** and giggles and MY GOD its out of control over there. Really nice but not worth it in my opinion. though being 3 stops from Canal St would be REALLY nice (I work on Walker).

but yeah, Greenpoint it is for me L to the N, bang. No more Astoria-Ditmars to Canal St. nonsense.
I work on Franklin, and my commute from Bay Ridge on the R/N line is about 35 minutes from door to door if the trains are running okay.

Old
03-16-2009, 01:56 PM
segmentation fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Bay Ridge, but if anything, Park Slope.
Park Slope if you have the money.

Bay ridge if you dont mind a long commute.

Quote:
I work on Franklin, and my commute from Bay Ridge on the R/N line is about 35 minutes from door to door if the trains are running okay.
Yeah, the MTA ruins my life constantly.

I'm a fan of Greenpoint. its nice, decently priced, and not far from the Williamsburg night life (if youre a fan of that). But beware the dreaded G train.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by segmentation fault View Post
Park Slope if you have the money.

Bay ridge if you dont mind a long commute.

I'm a fan of Greenpoint. its nice, decently priced, and not far from the Williamsburg night life (if youre a fan of that). But beware the dreaded G train.
Agreed with all of that. G train is the reason i'm not moving to Greenpoint when my lease is up on my Bay Ridge place. GP has good prices, decent amount of nightlife not faraway and the Polish food & girls

Old
03-16-2009, 02:01 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Agreed with all of that. G train is the reason i'm not moving to Greenpoint when my lease is up on my Bay Ridge place. GP has good prices, decent amount of nightlife not faraway and the Polish food & girls
Quoted for truth. My god the polish girls in Greenpoint are amazing.

Old
03-16-2009, 02:02 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Yeah, but living in Steinway, I take the Q69 bus to Astoria-Ditmars then the N/W to Canal. Its almost an hour commute thats to the busses in Queens being so craptastic and running less then the G train. Plus, Astoria just sucks. theres the beer garden and a few crappy bars on 30th Ave. Good food though.

Old
03-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Fletch

the problem is, Bluenote, that N stands for Never and R stands for Rarely, and therein lies your commute issues.

Just outside Park Slope is Windsor Terrace and Kensington - the only issue is it's less for single guys and more for families (can't walk to many bars, except for the American Legion and the VFW), but the prices get more reasonable and the commute still ain't bad depending on to where you're commuting.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Yeah, but living in Steinway, I take the Q69 bus to Astoria-Ditmars then the N/W to Canal. Its almost an hour commute thats to the busses in Queens being so craptastic and running less then the G train. Plus, Astoria just sucks. theres the beer garden and a few crappy bars on 30th Ave. Good food though.
Yeah taking a bus to the train sucks. Thats why the people I know in Queens live in Astoria and take the trains to grand central and transfer for the downtown lines.

Old
03-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
the problem is, Bluenote, that N stands for Never and R stands for Rarely, and therein lies your commute issues.

Just outside Park Slope is Windsor Terrace and Kensington - the only issue is it's less for single guys and more for families (can't walk to many bars, except for the American Legion and the VFW), but the prices get more reasonable and the commute still ain't bad depending on to where you're commuting.
Yeah tell me about it - the N train is supposed to be express but runs equal with the R until Atlantic/Pacific, thats NYC version of express

My girlfriend lives in Kensington, great place but a bit of a walk to the subway. Nice area though.

Old
03-16-2009, 02:12 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Yeah taking a bus to the train sucks. Thats why the people I know in Queens live in Astoria and take the trains to grand central and transfer for the downtown lines.
You sure theyre in Astoria? I mean, if you're already on the N/W, the only real transfer that makes sense is to the 456 at 59th-Lexington to shoot straight down. I stay on the N just because im usually asleep and the 456 is a nightmare in the mornings. Of course, if you're on the 7, that makes more sense.

Also, in reference to the N being express, is that only in Manhattan?

Old
03-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Heat McManus

People that knock BedStuy might not have been in the western parts of it. If you're looking for something that is up and coming, BedStuy isn't a bad place.

Fort Greene is an amazing neighborhood as well. Both pretty easy to get into Manhattan from there.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
You sure theyre in Astoria? I mean, if you're already on the N/W, the only real transfer that makes sense is to the 456 at 59th-Lexington to shoot straight down. I stay on the N just because im usually asleep and the 456 is a nightmare in the mornings. Of course, if you're on the 7, that makes more sense.

Also, in reference to the N being express, is that only in Manhattan?
The gal I work with lives in Astoria and takes the R then transfers to the 1 cause its only a block away from our office.

She says Steinway is only 8 blocks from the R line, how come you need to take a bus? Are you that far down Steinway?

N is express in Brooklyn too, but is always delayed, not like an express at all.

Old
03-16-2009, 02:44 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
The gal I work with lives in Astoria and takes the R then transfers to the 1 cause its only a block away from our office.

She says Steinway is only 8 blocks from the R line, how come you need to take a bus? Are you that far down Steinway?

N is express in Brooklyn too, but is always delayed, not like an express at all.
I'm not on steinway though, im closer to Hazen, and those are 8 LONG blocks. Its quicker to take the N/W for me, plus you always get a seat.

Old
03-16-2009, 03:44 PM
HenrikO'doyle

Haha I love all the Bed-Stuy and Brownsville recomendations.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote