HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blackhawks freeze season ticket prices for next season

Old
03-12-2009, 03:37 PM
McMonster

vCash: 500
Blackhawks freeze season ticket prices for next season

source: NHL.com

Quote:
The Chicago Blackhawks have announced today that season ticket prices for the 2009-10 season will not increase from 2008-09 season ticket package prices.

"Chicago Blackhawks fans are unique in that they have remained loyal to our team through many seasons of challenge," Blackhawks Chairman W. Rockwell "Rocky" Wirtz said. "We are incredibly grateful of this support and recognize that during these challenging times, we are acting in the best interests of our fans and our community by keeping our season ticket prices flat for the 2009-10 season. With a solid record for the current season, contention for playoff play and a team of young stars, the Chicago Blackhawks are well-positioned to be a force in Chicagoland professional sports for many years to come. With much gratitude to all of our fans, we look forward to providing an exciting and winning tradition well into the future."

"We want to be respectful of our fans and their allegiance to the organization with regard to the nature of today's economy," Blackhawks Team President John McDonough said. "We also want to remain consistent with our big picture approach as we attempt to improve all aspects of our franchise."

The Blackhawks have hosted 30 capacity crowds in 30 home dates this season and 33 consecutive dating back to the end of last season. Chicago, which has hosted 11 crowds of over 22,000 fans this season, leads the NHL with an average of 22,395 fans per game. The Blackhawks are currently on pace to surpass the all-time franchise record of 835,977 fans that attended games during the 1995-96 season.
Can you imagine Dolan doing this? I can't...

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 03:47 PM
broadwayblue

Rangers will go up 20%.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 04:01 PM
squishy

Most teams have already announced that they're freezing or even lowering their ticket prices next season. Seems like NHL Home Ice has a story on a different team every day. A couple I can remember off the top of my head: Ducks, Wild, Canes, and Canucks.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Colt Seavers

Amazingly, the Maple Leafs are increasing ticket prices.

Colt Seavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 04:06 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Rangers have some of the highest prices in the league, and Dolan/Cablevision knows even if they double the prices the will still have 18,200 butts in the seats. It's quite a shame.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Fletch

I don't think Dolan/Cablevision actually know that. While the Rangers sucked, the prices held for a long time, until the big 7 signings, when the $35 seats (300s) went to $40. Then they held there a bit longer. So MSG knows it's not immune to empty seats and unsold tickets. There are a few less corporates willing to spend currently, and that undoubtedly will have it effect on Rangers hockey ticket sales.

EDIT: as an example, I unfortunately have some unsold tickets in my desk at work, and the price for the 01-02 and the 02-03 seasons were the same for tickets in the 300s ($40).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

I can tell you that my butt wont, just as it wasn't this year. I just simply cant afford to go anymore. it used to be 35$ for 300 section seats only a few years ago (if I remember correctly- ill check an old ticket) now its over 50!(72.50 on TM)

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 04:18 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Dont see how this is relevant to the Rangers and MSG.

Different market, different team and building - One of which is not being renovated extensively over the next 2 years.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 04:24 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

I totally forgot about the half a billion dollar renovation project, well the $62.50 300 level seats will be at least $85 after the project. Quote me on it too.

Old
03-12-2009, 05:13 PM
broadwayblue

I thought the half billion dollar renovation project was canceled? And before that it was reduced to 200-300 million.

Old
03-12-2009, 06:42 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I thought the half billion dollar renovation project was canceled? And before that it was reduced to 200-300 million.
Are you thinking of the scratched project that was proposed 2-3 years ago? I't involved building a 5th version of MSG atop of the post office and building up a new penn station where the Garden is currently situated. Due to the problems surrounding the deal such as crippling half of midtown the project was cancelled.

Old
03-12-2009, 07:00 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
For the record, I am trying to be relocated to the 400's so I won't be hit so hard when the renovations are over!

NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 08:30 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
Rangers have some of the highest prices in the league, and Dolan/Cablevision knows even if they double the prices the will still have 18,200 butts in the seats. It's quite a shame.
Well considering Cablevision is kicking DTV's behind in the region and they are getting a lot more customers because of the digital switch, Dolan can't complain about revenue.

It just shows the kind of guy he is. Lucky us

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 08:39 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

You can add the Coyotes and Predators to teams that have announced ticket price freezes. The Predators are advertising a two year freeze tonight for ticket holders who sign up by a certain date. And as for the Rangers prices, they are high but if memory serves me right, they are 5th or 6th in the NHL, not first. Not even close. Been to a game in Toronto lately?

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2009, 09:07 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Are you thinking of the scratched project that was proposed 2-3 years ago? I't involved building a 5th version of MSG atop of the post office and building up a new penn station where the Garden is currently situated. Due to the problems surrounding the deal such as crippling half of midtown the project was cancelled.
No, I'm referring to the renovation of the existing Garden. I thought I read that the Liberty are playing this summer after all, and that the renovation project (due to begin this June) was postponed indefinitely. I'm hoping that was just false intel...but you would think we'd hear something recently if we were only 3 months away from a several hundred million dollar renovation.

Old
03-12-2009, 09:34 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
You can add the Coyotes and Predators to teams that have announced ticket price freezes. The Predators are advertising a two year freeze tonight for ticket holders who sign up by a certain date. And as for the Rangers prices, they are high but if memory serves me right, they are 5th or 6th in the NHL, not first. Not even close. Been to a game in Toronto lately?
They are expensive, but multiply that price by .77 for CAD/USD currency conversion and the numbers balance out a bit.

Old
03-13-2009, 12:13 AM
BklyNYR4Life

right before the lock-out Dolan lowered the prices because the team was so bad. of course they all went up once we started making the playoffs.

BklyNYR4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 08:49 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNYR4Life View Post
right before the lock-out Dolan lowered the prices because the team was so bad. of course they all went up once we started making the playoffs.
It was actually a promise he kept from the season before the lockout that if the Rangers didn't make the playoffs he would lower proces by 10%.

As for the original clip, Blackhawks fans have remained loyal? 3 years ago they had less than 10k in the building for some games. It's about the team begin good or not.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 02:12 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
They are expensive, but multiply that price by .77 for CAD/USD currency conversion and the numbers balance out a bit.
When I was there a year ago, I scalped a ticket with a $200 Canadian face that equated to a 200 level (in the corner) at The Garden. That's when the conversion rate was in the high 90's. My Ranger season tickets are in the 300s and I always thought the price/value was pretty close to other NHL arenas. Yes, they do gouge the corporate accounts but the top half of the building is not completely unreasonable. Of course, if you live in Atlanta or Tampa (or Phoenix where I live) it does seem awfully high.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 04:16 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
When I was there a year ago, I scalped a ticket with a $200 Canadian face that equated to a 200 level (in the corner) at The Garden. That's when the conversion rate was in the high 90's. My Ranger season tickets are in the 300s and I always thought the price/value was pretty close to other NHL arenas. Yes, they do gouge the corporate accounts but the top half of the building is not completely unreasonable. Of course, if you live in Atlanta or Tampa (or Phoenix where I live) it does seem awfully high.
Even so, I still think spending $62.50 for a goal 300 level ticket is a lot. I sat in the maroon seats (section 57 I believe) once because I got the ticket for free from my friends dad, and to be honest I don't even think the service and view is worth the $200+ dollar price tag. $45 for a blue seat is... fair. I don't even understand why we are paying such high prices anymore though. The venue is long gone from being state of the art. MSG/Cablevision has one of the richest owners in the NHL, so I don't think they're relying so heavily on our pennies to pay for player salaries or to keep the lights on. But in all fairness I am saying this after spending something around 20 bucks at Nassau mosaleum for the NYR/NYI game last week.

Old
03-13-2009, 04:51 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNYR4Life View Post
And lest we forget, the year after the 10% discount (due to Dolan promising we would make the playoffs, but we didn't) he added back the 10% AND another 14% on top of that!

Old
03-16-2009, 02:20 PM
rambler725

the seats inside the arena will remain the same in 2009-2010 per my account rep.....all work will be done outside the main arena...as far as relocating to the blues....it may be a long walk up since there will be no divider the greens will morph into the blues and have one big aisle from what i hear...think of nassau and the old meadowlands upper deck..i say keep the garden the way it is!!!!

rambler725 is offline   Reply With Quote