HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Signing: Taylor Ellington

Old
03-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Barney Gumble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascha View Post
Yeah, a lot of us were saying that at the time as well... it's rather a mystery how the Canucks keep missing these guys in their own back yard.
Take a guess which scout is in charge of this geographical region and you'll find the mystery solved.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

vCash: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
will he go to the moose?
He will go to the moose when he gets the chance, he a pretty decent skater that can hit. Just don't expect too many points from him.

Dr Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesome View Post
He will go to the moose when he gets the chance, he a pretty decent skater that can hit. Just don't expect too many points from him.
Personally, I'd rather see him in Victoria at least initially. Playing more minutes against "easier competition". Looks like he's a bit of a work in process so there's no need to rush him. If he excels in the ECHL, then move him up. Don't think the Moose are particularly hard-up on defensive defensemen (though I don't follow the team all that closely) - so he might have a hard time winning a spot (especially over a more seasoned prospect like Rahimi).

Old
03-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Pascha

Yeah I saw him play against Chilliwack and pick up one of the three stars. He has potential to become a solid defensive defenseman.

Pascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 03:05 PM
NCPokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I'm not so sure that's correct, I think it depends on whether he elects to turn pro or not. Blake Wheeler after all hit UFA and he only played three years in the NCAA. I'm not sure at all on this stuff though.

If I were Gillis though I'd really like to see White turn pro so he can develop with the Moose.
The CBA says that once a college player announces their intention to turn pro, their team has 30 days to sign them or they become an unrestricted free agent. A player can turn pro at any time though, so it doesn't have to be after a full 4 years at college.

NCPokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Elliot20

that draft year was a total waste, the first couple rounds anyways.

patrick white and ellington...

Elliot20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 03:23 PM
nuckfan insk

vCash: 934
i hope he's used in a trade. soft as butter stay at home dman........

nuckfan insk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 03:41 PM
galiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
It's because our farm system is so sparse with offensively gifted players that I have this opinion. Especially when we already had a defensive defenseman prospect who is also a defensive defenseman with probably the same upside/downside - Rahimi.

I think it's a stretch to suggest Rahimi has the same upside as Ellington. He has been a scratch for a lot of games with the Moose and wasn't included on their clear day roster so they don't consider him to be in their top 6. Unfortunately Rahimi has gone from prospect to suspect and has slipped way down the ladder. Ellington on the other hand has yet to prove that he isn't a prospect. We'll see.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Towelie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano View Post
I think it's a stretch to suggest Rahimi has the same upside as Ellington. He has been a scratch for a lot of games with the Moose and wasn't included on their clear day roster so they don't consider him to be in their top 6. Unfortunately Rahimi has gone from prospect to suspect and has slipped way down the ladder. Ellington on the other hand has yet to prove that he isn't a prospect. We'll see.
Rahimi was just overrated by a bunch of people on this board.

Towelie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano View Post
Both are likely #6 or #7 guys at best if they every make it to the NHL, so I don't think it's a stretch to rate them as roughly comparable. Ellington may have slightly greater upside - but he hasn't played against men or seasoned professionals like Rahimi has.

That's actually the reason why I want Ellington to be in Victoria next season. He'd be in the same or similiar situation as Rahimi - fighting for minutes. I'd rather have him play a ton of minutes in the ECHL.

The #1 priority of the Moose is to win games not develop our prospects (not that helping the Canucks isn't important - only it doesn't have as high a priority).

Old
03-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

vCash: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Personally, I'd rather see him in Victoria at least initially. Playing more minutes against "easier competition". Looks like he's a bit of a work in process so there's no need to rush him. If he excels in the ECHL, then move him up. Don't think the Moose are particularly hard-up on defensive defensemen (though I don't follow the team all that closely) - so he might have a hard time winning a spot (especially over a more seasoned prospect like Rahimi).
he physical in terms of hitting like Rahimi but a better skater, so if it came down to it i guess it would be experience. But then again I am only a guy behind a computer, lol. Either way he will have to spend a couple of years in manitoba before he gets his feel for the show.

Dr Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 06:30 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I'm not so sure that's correct, I think it depends on whether he elects to turn pro or not. Blake Wheeler after all hit UFA and he only played three years in the NCAA. I'm not sure at all on this stuff though.

If I were Gillis though I'd really like to see White turn pro so he can develop with the Moose.
Wheeler was a special case as he was drafted pre-CBA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascha View Post
Yeah, a lot of us were saying that at the time as well... it's rather a mystery how the Canucks keep missing these guys in their own back yard.
Everett is pretty close.

Whatever, we should just hope that Ellington can become a #4,5,6 D-man who other teams hate to play against in the corners.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 06:33 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot20 View Post
that draft year was a total waste, the first couple rounds anyways.

patrick white and ellington...
No, the whole draft at this point is looking pretty weak.

C-A Messier, 5th round pick, was CUT from his QMJHL team as a 20 year old player.

Kablukov is in Russia with another year on his contract.

Gendur is a long term project.

Matson has had 2 serious injuries in the past 3 seasons. Still think he could become a decent player.

Old
03-16-2009, 07:41 PM
two headed boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
No, the whole draft at this point is looking pretty weak.

C-A Messier, 5th round pick, was CUT from his QMJHL team as a 20 year old player.

Kablukov is in Russia with another year on his contract.

Gendur is a long term project.

Matson has had 2 serious injuries in the past 3 seasons. Still think he could become a decent player.
IIRC, Messier broke his collar bone and just wasn't able to come back from it. Granted, he was a pretty poor prospect anyways, but its not like he was Evan Fuller.

two headed boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 08:28 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
He's had a pretty solid season. Was a decent prospect and is now an even better one.

Oh the HFboards people and their lack of scouting knowledge.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Impossibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I still think he has more upside than that... I think that people are underrating him, just like they have Patrick White, just because they aren't as good as the positions they were drafted in. If White and Ellington were 3rd-4th round picks, a lot more people, I think, would consider them to have NHL upside.

Ellington did put up pretty good offensive numbers in junior this year for a guy who's a defensive dman, with limited offensive potential... he could definitely be a late-bloomer... at his age, he's probably a more accomplished prospect than Bieksa was at the same age... Bieksa didn't show much offensively at the same age in the NCAA.

Not saying that Ellington can turn out to be as good, or even a similar dman... just that's it's way too early to write him off... IMO he still has a shot of being a #4 guy in the NHL.

and I think White still has that shot of being a contributing player at the NHL level.

both guys are likely at least 2-3 years away though.
...and if both those guys weren't Canucks picks, you wouldn't even know their names.

Impossibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 12:26 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Buck View Post
He's had a pretty solid season. Was a decent prospect and is now an even better one.

Yes, he's having a fairly good season as an overager. All that proves is that he can (as a 20 year old) play better as an adult against than other guys who are mostly one to several years younger than him (Ellington himself played his first season in the 'dub at the age of 16 or 17).

As we are Canuckfans here, let's hope he can make the transition to the next level when he plays against men in either the ECHL or AHL.

Old
03-17-2009, 03:28 AM
B-rock

I'd really like to know what was going through Nonis'/Delorme's heads when they drafted Ellington VERY high in the 2nd round. LIke others have said, he's not a write off, but you don't draft a defensive dman from a junior league that high in the draft. As others have said, you draft on skill and those guys that don't make it as offensive dmen at least have the skills to translate their games into defensive players.

The same thing goes for not drafting 3rd line and 4th line players out of junior. You draft the guys with the most skill and those that aren't skilled enough, can translate their games into 3rd/4th liners with enough determination and grit. If a kid can't score in junior, there's not a hope in hell he'll be a good player in the NHL.

It could be argued that White is in the same boat, but at least he showed skill as a prospect. Still wonder why they took him with their 1st rounder though....don't quite get that.

No wonder Nonis was fired.

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 01:55 PM
CM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
I'd really like to know what was going through Nonis'/Delorme's heads when they drafted Ellington VERY high in the 2nd round. LIke others have said, he's not a write off, but you don't draft a defensive dman from a junior league that high in the draft. As others have said, you draft on skill and those guys that don't make it as offensive dmen at least have the skills to translate their games into defensive players.

The same thing goes for not drafting 3rd line and 4th line players out of junior. You draft the guys with the most skill and those that aren't skilled enough, can translate their games into 3rd/4th liners with enough determination and grit. If a kid can't score in junior, there's not a hope in hell he'll be a good player in the NHL.

It could be argued that White is in the same boat, but at least he showed skill as a prospect. Still wonder why they took him with their 1st rounder though....don't quite get that.

No wonder Nonis was fired.
I agree with this if Nonis was hard up on Ellington he should've dealt down for a couple extra picks to get ellington then at least we may not be so upset with the 07 Draft...

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 02:11 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Buck View Post

He's a 20 year old playing against mainly 17 and 18 year olds. He should be dominating out there and clear and above one of the top players on his team.

03-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pauser View Post
He's a 20 year old playing against mainly 17 and 18 year olds. He should be dominating out there and clear and above one of the top players on his team.
Agreed. Dan Gendur sure looked awesome last year in his overage season, and he's in the ECHL being quite inconsistent by all accounts.

Not saying I don't think Ellington has potential; only time will tell. Hopefully he is able to reach that plateau and be a shut down D-Man for us. Or at least a surly, ill tempered, physical one like Bieksa or O'Brien.

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 04:52 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

I played against Ellington on the Island. Tough guy, but will never be a career NHL player, other than maybe a couple of seasons. A good 4th/5th round pick, not a 2nd rounder.

I actually laughed when the Canucks took him so high. But then again, I couldn't believe that Wishart was taken in the 1st round.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 08:34 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanker View Post
I played against Ellington on the Island. Tough guy, but will never be a career NHL player, other than maybe a couple of seasons. A good 4th/5th round pick, not a 2nd rounder.

I actually laughed when the Canucks took him so high. But then again, I couldn't believe that Wishart was taken in the 1st round.
He was ranked as a mid to late 2nd round pick.

Old
03-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Top Scorer

He could play a lower level of the way that willie mitchel plays and could be an asset to the canucks in maybe about 3-4 years.

Top Scorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPokey View Post
The CBA says that once a college player announces their intention to turn pro, their team has 30 days to sign them or they become an unrestricted free agent. A player can turn pro at any time though, so it doesn't have to be after a full 4 years at college.
Ahh ok, thanks for the clarification. Do you know if the loophole Wheeler used to become a UFA is still open or was that amended with the new CBA?

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote