HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jack Todd Defends Carbo

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2009, 01:24 PM
  #26
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Well, Bylsma was 2-1-1 in his first 4 including -- wait for this -- an OTL to the Islanders.
Just want to be sure, are you talking about the same Isles who beat Chicago sunday evening ?

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 01:26 PM
  #27
number 11
Registered User
 
number 11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
what he's saying ? something along the lines of "thank for Kunitz and Guerin", sometimes he wakes up in the night thanking the two best C in the league I heard...
yup.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 01:27 PM
  #28
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Why does everyone conveniently forget that Cristobal Huet lost to the Flyers as well?

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 01:30 PM
  #29
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Dan Bylsma say what?
Do we have a Malkin or Crosby, or even Staal for that matter?

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 01:31 PM
  #30
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Why does everyone conveniently forget that Cristobal Huet lost to the Flyers as well?
Because people are dumb.
Like Todd only points the bad moves. I guess he forgot to mention all the good ones.

Huet wouldn't have gotten further in the POs, maybe not even through the Bruins.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 01:35 PM
  #31
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Because people are dumb.
Like Todd only points the bad moves. I guess he forgot to mention all the good ones.

Huet wouldn't have gotten further in the POs, maybe not even through the Bruins.
People absolutely love to blame Philly on Price, when the team couldn't score on Biron.

People also like to blame some of the losses against Boston on Price, as if we had Huet, it would have made anything better.

The team was not ready for the playoffs. It was a team built for the season. Very few were ready to step up, and that's because it was a young team with very little playoff experience.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 01:39 PM
  #32
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
People absolutely love to blame Philly on Price, when the team couldn't score on Biron.

People also like to blame some of the losses against Boston on Price, as if we had Huet, it would have made anything better.

The team was not ready for the playoffs. It was a team built for the season. Very few were ready to step up, and that's because it was a young team with very little playoff experience.
That, or people want a taste of glory in thinking we would've been the ECF had we kept Huet, ignoring not only the fact he lost against Philly (while looking absolutely brutal in thte first 2 games), but that he was slumping before he left Montréal AND Price got red hot after the TD.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 01:40 PM
  #33
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
That, or people want a taste of glory in thinking we would've been the ECF had we kept Huet, ignoring not only the fact he lost against Philly (while looking absolutely brutal in thte first 2 games), but that he was slumping before he left Montréal AND Price got red hot after the TD.
It's a lose lose for Gainey.

If you don't trade Huet, we lose in the second round because Huet wouldn't get the job done either. Now people complain that Gainey lost another UFA for nothing.

If you do trade Huet, which we did, we lose in the second round because we can't score on Martin Biron. So its Gainey's fault for going with Price.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 01:53 PM
  #34
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
It's a lose lose for Gainey.

If you don't trade Huet, we lose in the second round because Huet wouldn't get the job done either. Now people complain that Gainey lost another UFA for nothing.

If you do trade Huet, which we did, we lose in the second round because we can't score on Martin Biron. So its Gainey's fault for going with Price.
How about we keep Huet and because of his great play we beat Philly 'cause Huet would have gotten the job done? Huet would not have needed to be lights out against Philly.....just do to a fine job. Don't believe that not being able to score on Biron is solely due to our lack of talent or lack of finish. It has to do with the confidence we didn't have anymore at one point since our goalie wasn't able to stop anything.

See clearly, last year was our year. Everything went our way, and we had all the confidence in the world to at least reach the Conference finals. I keep hearing that we have to go all the way this year since it's the freakin Centennial when clearly it was last year that we had to go all the way with the players we had, the seasons that they were having and the confidence we had in each other.....until the last games against Boston and the Philly series.

In the end though, results are the only thing important. Who cares if people say that Gainey was stupid or wasn't stupid for trading Huet. Who cares for any other transactions that is done? But in the end you need to win and in Gainey's case, you need to bring this team to where it's never gone before in 15 years, the 3rd round.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 01:55 PM
  #35
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
People absolutely love to blame Philly on Price, when the team couldn't score on Biron.

People also like to blame some of the losses against Boston on Price,
as if we had Huet, it would have made anything better.

The team was not ready for the playoffs. It was a team built for the season. Very few were ready to step up, and that's because it was a young team with very little playoff experience.
to say the team had trouble scoring is one thing , but when I look back at carey's performance , SHGs he allowed .... boy that was scary. RJ Umberger looked like Mario Lemieux out there cause of carey. He wasn't ready to takeover #1 ... not saying its his fault, but he did played like crap with 30 xtra pounds of baby fat.

that on top of the fact that he ''took the blame'' in post game interviews at that time ...

people like to blame price ? ... you mean thank god some of us are not brainwashed with the Jesus-price-is-better-than-brodeur sauce the media, the organisation and dillusional fans are trying to push forward.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 01:55 PM
  #36
jnthomas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 679
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
How about we keep Huet and because of his great play we beat Philly 'cause Huet would have gotten the job done? Huet would not have needed to be lights out against Philly.....just do to a fine job. Don't believe that not being able to score on Biron is solely due to our lack of talent or lack of finish. It has to do with the confidence we didn't have anymore at one point since our goalie wasn't able to stop anything.

See clearly, last year was our year. Everything went our way, and we had all the confidence in the world to at least reach the Conference finals. I keep hearing that we have to go all the way this year since it's the freakin Centennial when clearly it was last year that we had to go all the way with the players we had, the seasons that they were having and the confidence we had in each other.....until the last games against Boston and the Philly series.

In the end though, results are the only thing important. Who cares if people say that Gainey was stupid or wasn't stupid for trading Huet. Who cares for any other transactions that is done? But in the end you need to win and in Gainey's case, you need to bring this team to where it's never gone before in 15 years, the 3rd round.
But Huet did face the Flyers and didn't get the job done. Why do you think he would have gotten the job done if playing with Montreal?

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 02:01 PM
  #37
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
That, or people want a taste of glory in thinking we would've been the ECF had we kept Huet, ignoring not only the fact he lost against Philly (while looking absolutely brutal in thte first 2 games), but that he was slumping before he left Montréal AND Price got red hot after the TD.
He had trouble with the 1st and 3rd games....but I love how you don't talk about the other games where he had stars in them or maybe even allowing 4 goals....in 46 shots.

And don't mention that "slumping" when he joined the Caps when Ovechkin and himself are the only guys responsible for one of the greatest comeback to make the playoffs.

I mean almost and you're going to blame him for the goal he gave while being tackle out of his net.....

Even if you want to believe that Huet was bad, Price was awful. And with a better defense like we had in Montreal compared to Washington, Huet would have been OK, at least to give us a better chance to win. In the end, you don't go in the playoffs with 2 still unproven rookies, especially when this year could be THE year....

But Gainey never make mistakes. Every person in here that keeps defending him are not able to name ONE mistake. How's that possible? The guy has really been perfect? Even for the obvious mistakes, people find a way to explain it.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 02:08 PM
  #38
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
He had trouble with the 1st and 3rd games....but I love how you don't talk about the other games where he had stars in them or maybe even allowing 4 goals....in 46 shots.

And don't mention that "slumping" when he joined the Caps when Ovechkin and himself are the only guys responsible for one of the greatest comeback to make the playoffs.
I mean almost and you're going to blame him for the goal he gave while being tackle out of his net.....

Even if you want to believe that Huet was bad, Price was awful. And with a better defense like we had in Montreal compared to Washington, Huet would have been OK, at least to give us a better chance to win. In the end, you don't go in the playoffs with 2 still unproven rookies, especially when this year could be THE year....

But Gainey never make mistakes. Every person in here that keeps defending him are not able to name ONE mistake. How's that possible? The guy has really been perfect? Even for the obvious mistakes, people find a way to explain it.
What I meant was that he was slumping in MTL before the trade. He got a good shot in the arm once he went to WSH and was absolutely fantastic there.

The problem is, once the deadline passes and Huet is still cold, what kind of crap is BG getting then?

It was a no-win situation. Much like the Hossa thing, unless Hossa signed or we won the cup. But even then, ''Hossa gets too much money'' or ''we won the cup, but we lost our only star player and we suck this year and wah wah wah''.

You can't win in Montréal. You just CAN'T. Especially with the cap which means you ain't gonna see much dynastying. Roy won the Cup and was booed the year after due to growing pains. This city is full of **** reporters and **** fans.

This article just proves it again. And the Carbo-loving fans during the NJ game did too.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 02:13 PM
  #39
LiKwiiD
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
It has been too soon to make a huge difference ... He hasn't even had a REAL practice yet (I think they were going to have one today). Why didn't he before? good question....

And how about the fact that our best player (Markov) doesnt even crack the top 60 mark.

LiKwiiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 02:32 PM
  #40
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Do we have a Malkin or Crosby, or even Staal for that matter?
who cares about the players if the coach was the only problem?

they were worst than us with michel Therrien than we were with Carbo.

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 02:44 PM
  #41
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
who cares about the players if the coach was the only problem?
The coach was the only problem?

#1 D-men are perhaps the most impactful players in the game, ahead of franchise centers... and lo, the Pens had this guy named Gonchar on the shelf until one game before Therrien was fired.

Methinks that was also a problem. Same problem as what happens to the Habs when Markov is out.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 02:46 PM
  #42
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The coach was the only problem?

#1 D-men are perhaps the most impactful players in the game, ahead of franchise centers... and lo, the Pens had this guy named Gonchar on the shelf until one game before Therrien was fired.

Methinks that was also a problem. Same problem as what happens to the Habs when Markov is out.
so, why did the coach got fired then if he was not the problem?

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 03:13 PM
  #43
Turboflex*
 
Turboflex*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
jack todd is such a predictable hack

carbo is gone so now he is burying him while setting up his new gimmick of gainey bashing

what a loser, knows nothing about hockey and can't write either, he is a chicken**** too

I cancelled my subscription to the gazette cuz of him and a few other terrible columnists (bill brownstain and josee legault).

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 03:27 PM
  #44
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
He had trouble with the 1st and 3rd games....but I love how you don't talk about the other games where he had stars in them or maybe even allowing 4 goals....in 46 shots.

And don't mention that "slumping" when he joined the Caps when Ovechkin and himself are the only guys responsible for one of the greatest comeback to make the playoffs.

I mean almost and you're going to blame him for the goal he gave while being tackle out of his net.....

Even if you want to believe that Huet was bad, Price was awful. And with a better defense like we had in Montreal compared to Washington, Huet would have been OK, at least to give us a better chance to win. In the end, you don't go in the playoffs with 2 still unproven rookies, especially when this year could be THE year....

But Gainey never make mistakes. Every person in here that keeps defending him are not able to name ONE mistake. How's that possible? The guy has really been perfect? Even for the obvious mistakes, people find a way to explain it.
If Huet was that remarkable for them, they would have resigned him instead of going with Theo this year.
They also would have made Huet the clear cut #1 in Chicago, but he wasn't able to clinch his spot. He's still living the 1A 1B goalie situation and Khabi has the better record.

What happened with Price was bad. Would it have been better with Huet there?..maybe, maybe not. There's no way for us to know. One thing for sure though, he didn't perform well vs Carolina 2years ago, and he couldn't keep the fort well enough for the Caps to get by the Flyers. Those are the facts, speculating beyond that is useless.

Bob Gainey made many mistakes, I have no problem admitting this even if I defend him. His biggest mistake was probably the Ribeiro trade. Every GM will make mistakes over 5years, maybe you wanted more out of our team after 5years and I'd agree. But I do not want to go back to the pre-Gainey era either. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with our team and I'm happy he refused to make deadline trades that would have crippled our future.


Last edited by Kriss E: 03-16-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 03:33 PM
  #45
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
so, why did the coach got fired then if he was not the problem?
Most coaches become part of the problem when the team starts to face adversity and they can't find any solutions to get out of a slump. It's at that time that a coach can start taking unpopular decisions that don't pay off and lose the support of his players little by little.

The coach is not THE problem, he becomes PART of the problem.

In some cases, the coach simply isn't liked even when the team plays well, i.e Claude Julien in NJ.
Jersey was 2nd if my memory serves me right, and they fired Julien about 10Games before the POs. He was talked about as a nominee for the Jack Adams that year.
It just goes to show you, even when you have a performing team, the coach's job is never insured.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 03:35 PM
  #46
shiftycanuck
Habby Habitants
 
shiftycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 488
vCash: 500
Good on him

shiftycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 03:37 PM
  #47
twenty7
Registered User
 
twenty7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 1,320
vCash: 500
So who's Jack Todd ?

twenty7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 03:37 PM
  #48
smon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If Huet was that remarkable for them, they would have resigned him instead of going with Theo this year.
They also would have made Huet the clear cut #1 in Chicago, but he wasn't able to clinch his spot. He's still living the 1A 1B goalie situation and Khabi has the better record.

What happened with Price was bad. Would it have been better with Huet there?..maybe, maybe not. There's no way for us to know. One thing for sure though, he didn't perform well vs Carolina 2years ago, and he couldn't keep the fort well enough for the Caps to get by the Flyers. Those are the facts, speculating beyond that is useless.

Bob Gainey made many mistakes, I have no problem admitting this even if I defend him. His biggest mistake was probably the Ribeiro trade. Every GM will make mistakes over 5years, maybe you wanted more out of our team after 5years and I'd agree. But I do not want to go back to the pre-Gainey era either. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with our team and I'm happy he refused to make deadline trades that would have crippled our future.
From I've all heard Caps fans were really disappointed in not re-signing Huet. The Caps tried hard to keep him but Chicago gave him a ridiculously high contract. It's not that they prefer Theodore over Huet at all, it's that Theodore was cheaper...

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 03:42 PM
  #49
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Todd is speaking the truth. Many were looking for quick fix, a scape goat in Carbonneau not taking into consideration that every move is questioned, especially when it doesn't work. Yet, had his players committed like other teams do, we would have had success.

Way to tell it like it is Jack!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 03:42 PM
  #50
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
From I've all heard Caps fans were really disappointed in not re-signing Huet. The Caps tried hard to keep him but Chicago gave him a ridiculously high contract. It's not that they prefer Theodore over Huet at all, it's that Theodore was cheaper...
Theo was coming off a few very disappointing years and they gave him a 4.5M cap hit. That's only 1.1M less than Huet.
Sorry, but Theo didn't come cheap in WSH, I would have went with Huet.
Need I mention they also resigned Fedorov at a 4M cap hit?..

So they had the room to keep Huet if they truly wanted him back.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.