HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Best Intermediate skate?

Old
03-16-2009, 12:30 AM
Dr Turk

vCash: 500
Best Intermediate skate?

Just wondering what the best skates between 150 and 200$ are. So far I am looking at these:

Easton SE10s,-which I can get for 170$, and I think is the only glass fiber one

Reebok 5ks(180$)

Nike bauer one 55s(200$)

Graf supra 502(210$)-probably out of my price range

CCM Vector 6.0(180$).

Nike Bauer Vapor XXII(200$)

Right now Im leaning toward the SE10s, because they are the cheapest and supposed to be the lightest. Im coming from Bauer one05s if it helps.

Has anyone used any of these, especially the SE10s?

Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 12:36 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

out of those, probably the RBK 5ks or the one55s. im not familiar with eastons. the lower level grafs arent great from what i hear and i could be wrong but i think those come with T-blades which im not a fan of

it comes down to comfort and prefernce so try em' on

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 02:04 AM
qwertysac

It all depends on how you feel in them, different people have different feet. id highly recommend you go and try them all on yourself one by one and see which one fits YOU better and which one YOU feel comfortable in.

I can tell you that the Vapor XXII are very solid skates though.

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Dr Turk

I just tried on the eastons and I love them, they fit my foor perfectly and feel real light. The only problem is they are 270$ at the hockey shop by me. But they are 170$ online, so now I feel bad buying them online when the guy there was al helpful. But on the other hand theres no way I can afford to spend 270$.

Old
03-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Tinkeric

You might be able to find a used pair of Graf 703 or 705s on eBay for around $130-150. (I see a lot for sale.) Ideally, the skates will have been used for less than a season and have never been baked.

If you come across a pair and are willing to take a risk, the savings/value is remarkable since Graf 703/705 skates are high-quality and expensive, usually $375+ USD.

Tinkeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 06:28 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTurkelton View Post
I just tried on the eastons and I love them, they fit my foor perfectly and feel real light. The only problem is they are 270$ at the hockey shop by me. But they are 170$ online, so now I feel bad buying them online when the guy there was al helpful. But on the other hand theres no way I can afford to spend 270$.
The eastons are a great option. One piece glass fiber boot, will give you much better weight and performance for the price then any other one of those skates.

Talk to the guy at the shop, tell him about the online price, ask if he can match or come close. Tell him that you would be willing to pay a bit more to get it from him, but you can't go to $270. He might be able to help you out, and if not, you loose nothing.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Stefan It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertysac View Post
different people have different feet. id highly recommend you go and try them all on yourself one by one and see which one fits YOU better and which one YOU feel comfortable in.
Don't fool yourself into buying a skate just cause it's cheap, or supposedly better than another. Fit is the first priority.

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 07:37 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTurkelton View Post
Just wondering what the best skates between 150 and 200$ are. So far I am looking at these:

Easton SE10s,-which I can get for 170$, and I think is the only glass fiber one

Reebok 5ks(180$)

Nike bauer one 55s(200$)

Graf supra 502(210$)-probably out of my price range

CCM Vector 6.0(180$).

Nike Bauer Vapor XXII(200$)

Right now Im leaning toward the SE10s, because they are the cheapest and supposed to be the lightest. Im coming from Bauer one05s if it helps.

Has anyone used any of these, especially the SE10s?
That's a pretty wide range of fit types. You buy what fits you the best, period and there is no exception when it comes to that.

With that out of the way. Don't put much stock into how light the skate is. You aren't making a big enough jump for it to be noticeable.

If you're in the One05's now and they fit good, you should look at the One55's.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 10:25 PM
LarryO

Are the Eastons $170US or $170CDN. If that's US, think of the dollar conversion, shipping, brokerage fees and sales tax and re-calculate. And think of the possibility of having to return them on warranty, etc.

LarryO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Dr Turk

They’re in US$ and I live in the states so its all good. But shipping would be around 15 dollars and of course my size is another 15 dollars for some reason

The guy at the store said all they could do is match their own online prices, so I checked today and they actually have ‘em for 209$ and I would get a 20 dollar gift card and 5% of because of some membership thing I would sign up with. I figure with the shipping costs online it would end up being around the same and I would rather buy locally so I could get them baked and sharpened there.

I really hate the One05’s im wearing now. They don’t feel right and still hurt after a couple months of skating. I think Im gonna pick up the SE10’s tomorrow.

Old
03-17-2009, 07:14 AM
LarryO

I guess the canadian flag in your avatar is what threw me. Good to see that buying them locally works out for you because it's usually the best option for several reasons.

LarryO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 07:11 PM
Dr Turk

Yeah Im glad I bought them locally, I got them baked, sharpened and purchased in around half an hour and was skating on them an hour later.

I went and picked up the SE10’s today, and even though they were more than I was looking to spends, they were worth. I tried ‘em out at and am loving them. My right one fits perfectly but I got a blister from the left because I didn’t have a lace through its hole when I got them baked. Im still breaking them in but every aspect of my skating has improved a small bit. Thanks for the advice all.