HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moving to Brooklyn

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2009, 03:45 PM
  #26
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
east new york is lovely this time of year
Pack your ouzie

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 03:47 PM
  #27
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
the problem is, Bluenote, that N stands for Never and R stands for Rarely, and therein lies your commute issues.

Just outside Park Slope is Windsor Terrace and Kensington - the only issue is it's less for single guys and more for families (can't walk to many bars, except for the American Legion and the VFW), but the prices get more reasonable and the commute still ain't bad depending on to where you're commuting.
The B is barely, W is whenever and the D is daily.M is maybe(when it's running)

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 03:49 PM
  #28
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
People that knock BedStuy might not have been in the western parts of it. If you're looking for something that is up and coming, BedStuy isn't a bad place.

Fort Greene is an amazing neighborhood as well. Both pretty easy to get into Manhattan from there.
Fort Greene and Brooklyn Heights are very expensive because it's near the city.You can walk over the Brooklyn Bridge if you live there.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 04:28 PM
  #29
danno2530
 
danno2530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,453
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
the problem is, Bluenote, that N stands for Never and R stands for Rarely, and therein lies your commute issues.

Just outside Park Slope is Windsor Terrace and Kensington - the only issue is it's less for single guys and more for families (can't walk to many bars, except for the American Legion and the VFW), but the prices get more reasonable and the commute still ain't bad depending on to where you're commuting.
Although that's still better than what the F train stands for.

And I should know because I take that every day and if it goes express once a week, it's a nice surprise. Apparently before my time there was an express F that went from Kings Hwy to Jay St in about 20 minutes..I wouldn't object to that now.

Everybody else pretty much covered the ideal neighborhoods here. Park Slope is about as great a place as there is to spend a day walking around, and I would love to live there eventually, but the prices are just insane. Williamsburg used to be rougher, but Bedford Ave is almost like another 7th Avenue now and there is some great nightlife there and it's a little better price-wise than the Slope.

Kensington is kind of an up-and-coming area as mentioned previously. My uncle lives there but he got a ridiculous deal because his landlords were desperate back in 1994. I'm pretty sure no such desperation exists now unfortunately.

As where I live, I'm in Gravesend and it has it's plusses and minuses. On one hand, it's a safe area and there are 4 subway lines within walking distance. On the other, it's become extremely expensive and as I mentioned, it's a bit of a commute. I'd say 50 minutes to midtown if there are no delays. Nightlife is nonexistent.

Despite being a Flyers fan, I wish you good luck finding a place

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 04:30 PM
  #30
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,518
vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Bay Ridge, but if anything, Park Slope.
Park Slope is where it's at.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 04:38 PM
  #31
Bury Your Head
 
Bury Your Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,861
vCash: 500
I'd recommend Williamsburg/Greenpoint. I live right on Graham Avenue, and have been here for 15 years. The 'hipsters' can be annoying at times, but they are also very friendly. Bedford Avenue (which is like the 'hipster haven', and 2 train stops/8 or 9 blocks away from Graham Ave) is fun, but can be expensive in some spots. It's always busy around there. Greenpoint is great. It's busy at times, but never overwhelming. I used to take the G train every single day, as it was part of my commute to highschool, and I can say that it really isn't THAT bad. The people are nice, a lot don't really speak English, and there's a fair share of drunk Polish men. HOWEVER, it's a safe area, there's good food around there, and you're close to McCarren park (which is a pretty nice park). You're also very close to Williamsburg, which means you're also very close to Manhattan (Union Square, which is like a main point in Manhattan). So yeah, hope this helped some.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 04:53 PM
  #32
RegalRangers
Registered User
 
RegalRangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 1,447
vCash: 500
I recommend the windsor terrace/north kensington area. Right by park slope and prospect park. Plenty to do and it's a nice looking neighborhood. I commute into manhattan every morning - there's a bunch of young professionals around and the rent's more affordable than park slope. It's also really nice to be so close to prospect park. it's really gorgeous in the spring and summer and there are always free concerts going on in the park.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 05:08 PM
  #33
segmentation fault
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Jersey City
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Oh, and if the place is near the J/M/Z lines dont even bother.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 05:18 PM
  #34
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,437
vCash: 500
F train going express once a week? Eh, it's been a heck of a lot more than that lately and I actually hate it. I'd welcome that if I knew it would happen. I sit in the front car and get off at Ft. Hamilton and walk about three blocks to get home from there. I could sit in the back car of the F and walk three blocks and get off at Church. See where I'm going with this? If I'm going to sit in the back, I'd take the 6 to the 4 to the A to the F (actually quite quick). If the F goes express, great, if not, I go an extra stop. If I'm going to sit in the front, it's the 6 to the F. What's my issue? I've been taking the 6 to the F a lot and the F has been going express a lot lately, which means I have a long walk down McDonald Ave then my three blocks, or get off at 7th to wait for "the train right behind us". If I knew there would be an express train, I'd sit in the back all the time. They should get rid of the G and utilize the express tracks that are there. To put it nicely, F can stand for frustrating.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 05:47 PM
  #35
Capitain Midnight
Trust me, I'm a doc
 
Capitain Midnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United Nations
Posts: 629
vCash: 500
My wife and I live in Park Slope and love it. The restaurants are getting better too. Can't help you with the social scene since we are both students. We are the Huxtabuls...if anyone gets that analogy....except i'm not an obstetrician. Ha. She goes to school in Tribeca and I can walk to my clinic or take the bus/subway to the hospital.

If you do live here, see if you can live b/t 5th and 6th or 6th and 7th avenues. They seem to be the better/safer areas

Capitain Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 05:54 PM
  #36
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,437
vCash: 500
unfortunately, safer in the Slope means more expensive - a lot more. People are venturing more North (even North of Flatbush) and west these days (although it's always confusing saying North when it's really Northeast). The Slope's nice to visit - if you go on a Saturday or Sunday in the Summer around 4PM. It's gotten too crowded for me, but I live in the suburbs (East Third and Caton) - where we actually have driveways.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 06:04 PM
  #37
Capitain Midnight
Trust me, I'm a doc
 
Capitain Midnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United Nations
Posts: 629
vCash: 500
Fletch....you and I need to grab a beer sometime...maybe after by big exams in June.

I hear you about the cost. It is not cheap. What's nice is that when I do get a moment, my parents' house where I grew up is in CT about 1.5 hrs away. I'm spoiled in that sense that it feels like I have a weekend house.

I live near Kitchen Bar and Eurotrip and Toby's Public House.

Capitain Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 07:40 PM
  #38
Smashley
Registered User
 
Smashley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rawlbany, NY
Country: Latvia
Posts: 2,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I PM'ed you Stafucc.
So help me god if you bunk up with a flyers fan, you're totally off my awesome list!

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 07:48 PM
  #39
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 4,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bury Your Head View Post
I'd recommend Williamsburg/Greenpoint. I live right on Graham Avenue, and have been here for 15 years. The 'hipsters' can be annoying at times, but they are also very friendly.
This conversation about Greenpoint and Williamsburg went on far too long before hipsters were brought into it. Dude, if you move there, make sure to pack your skinny jeans and non-prescription glasses, just sayin'. Lot's of awesome places to get a beer around there though.

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 08:37 PM
  #40
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stafuccijr View Post
I will be moving to Brooklyn for a new job and I have been looking everyone online trying to find the right place to be looking for an apartment. I have never been to New York so I pretty much know nothing about it. I'm aware that i'm a Flyers fan but I thought I would give this a try anyway. Where are the best places to live? (cost-benefit ratio). I'm not really sure about my price ranges and I'm not THAT worried about sketchy neighborhoods. I'm a young professional so a little bit of a social life would be good as well as some decent restauraunts. Anyone with any info I would be very grateful. (1 or 2 bedrooms)




If you want to live in a cheap, safe and clean apartment with the train nearby (about 30 mins into lower manhattan), then Bensonhurst and Dyker Heights is the place to go. Not a ton of "nightlife" but awesome restaurants, great shopping and most landlords are very reliable, friendly and a lot of the apartments have been redone with new kitchens, bathrooms etc.

1-bedrooms go between 900 and 1200.

Williamsburg is overpriced and dirty. My wife lived there for two years. Very close to Manhattan but the dirty unemployed hipsters will drive you off a cliff.

Forget Crown heights/Buskwick/Bed stuy/east New york. They are slowly (very slowly) coming around but they are still too dangerous for a newcomer or out-of-towner.

Bay Ridge is nicknamed "Beirut" for obvious reasons. But lots of great restaurants and bars. Similar to Dyker Heights and bensonhurst but better options and more expensive

Coney Island/Brighton beach/ manhattan beach/sheephead bay is nice, a much longer commute and a Russian-dominated population (FWIW)

Park Slope/Cobble Hill/Bklyn Heights is very very nice but very very expensive. I'm talking Manhattan prices.


Send me a PM if you have any questions

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 09:27 PM
  #41
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light
 
Hobgoblin Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bay Ridge
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
If you want to live in a cheap, safe and clean apartment with the train nearby (about 30 mins into lower manhattan), then Bensonhurst and Dyker Heights is the place to go. Not a ton of "nightlife" but awesome restaurants, great shopping and most landlords are very reliable, friendly and a lot of the apartments have been redone with new kitchens, bathrooms etc.

1-bedrooms go between 900 and 1200.

Williamsburg is overpriced and dirty. My wife lived there for two years. Very close to Manhattan but the dirty unemployed hipsters will drive you off a cliff.

Forget Crown heights/Buskwick/Bed stuy/east New york. They are slowly (very slowly) coming around but they are still too dangerous for a newcomer or out-of-towner.

Bay Ridge is nicknamed "Beirut" for obvious reasons. But lots of great restaurants and bars. Similar to Dyker Heights and bensonhurst but better options and more expensive

Coney Island/Brighton beach/ manhattan beach/sheephead bay is nice, a much longer commute and a Russian-dominated population (FWIW)

Park Slope/Cobble Hill/Bklyn Heights is very very nice but very very expensive. I'm talking Manhattan prices.


Send me a PM if you have any questions

I live here (Bay ridge) Its a nice area, not much crime, some street races/local idiots, but nothing special, ask Levski,NYRANGERSfan0922, and Bluenote. The bars around here are great, foods reasonably cheap and good options, not alot of clubs (whooo!- dont like them) and parkings not too bad. Trains are pretty much all very close, N/R/D (despite what people say, they're not THAT bad), Busses are pretty good, and will most anywhere the train don't, and the timetables are pretty accurate.
If you play Roller Hockey however, be prepared to not find an assessable rink. Also be prepared to get kicked out of most tennis courts and schoolyards.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 09:39 PM
  #42
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
I live here (Bay ridge) Its a nice area, not much crime, some street races/local idiots, but nothing special, ask Levski,NYRANGERSfan0922, and Bluenote. The bars around here are great, foods reasonably cheap and good options, not alot of clubs (whooo!- dont like them) and parkings not too bad. Trains are pretty much all very close, N/R/D (despite what people say, they're not THAT bad), Busses are pretty good, and will most anywhere the train don't, and the timetables are pretty accurate.
If you play Roller Hockey however, be prepared to not find an assessable rink. Also be prepared to get kicked out of most tennis courts and schoolyards.


I know. I live on bay Ridge PKwy. I went to Xaverian and I'm very familiar with the area (relatives, friends etc) and i still go to Fort hamilton everyday to do some work and stuff.

The only beef I have with Bay Ridge is the parking and the N and R. I grew up taking the D and Q for years and they got me from Kings Highway to 34th street in 35 minutes on weekdays

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 09:47 PM
  #43
levski87
Registered User
 
levski87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
As much as I preach Bay ridge, get an apartment in the city. A studio and you're set. Clubs are everywhere near you, along with bars, and its the city!

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 09:47 PM
  #44
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light
 
Hobgoblin Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bay Ridge
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,953
vCash: 500
thats funny, I work at fort hamilton (Hs) 4 days a week, what do you do there?

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 09:49 PM
  #45
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
thats funny, I work at fort hamilton (Hs) 4 days a week, what do you do there?
I meant the Army base. I just do army admin stuff, plan training and work out before i report back to the line this summer.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 10:02 PM
  #46
Nemchinov13
Registered User
 
Nemchinov13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Gravesend
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,726
vCash: 500
The reason that F is going express is because there's another F train behind the first, and probably an F behind that one too... So, not to make all three F trains arriving late, they'll send the 1st F that's clogging up others express... So, it's not once a week, it's more or less twice or 3 times a day. F is really the worst line in the lettered division of NYCTA.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 10:15 PM
  #47
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light
 
Hobgoblin Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bay Ridge
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
I meant the Army base. I just do army admin stuff, plan training and work out before i report back to the line this summer.
ah I getcha. Stay safe when you go back.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 10:46 PM
  #48
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
F train going express once a week? Eh, it's been a heck of a lot more than that lately and I actually hate it. I'd welcome that if I knew it would happen. I sit in the front car and get off at Ft. Hamilton and walk about three blocks to get home from there. I could sit in the back car of the F and walk three blocks and get off at Church. See where I'm going with this? If I'm going to sit in the back, I'd take the 6 to the 4 to the A to the F (actually quite quick). If the F goes express, great, if not, I go an extra stop. If I'm going to sit in the front, it's the 6 to the F. What's my issue? I've been taking the 6 to the F a lot and the F has been going express a lot lately, which means I have a long walk down McDonald Ave then my three blocks, or get off at 7th to wait for "the train right behind us". If I knew there would be an express train, I'd sit in the back all the time. They should get rid of the G and utilize the express tracks that are there. To put it nicely, F can stand for frustrating.
The fact that the G uses the express tracks for its turnaround has nothing to do with the lack of an express train on the F. There has been a huge push by local community boards to get the F running express again (which hasn't been the case since the 1950s evidently) but MTA won't even consider it until the viaduct (the elevated portion between Carroll Street and 7th Avenue stops) is repaired and the Smith and 9th street station is renovated. This work was scheduled to start in 2010 but has now been posponed--supposedly only until 2011 but who knows. The MTA is also worried about how narrow the Bergen Street station platform is--a little known fact is that the old express stop is actually under the local stop currently in use, if you look down as a train is coming or leaving the station (I can't remember) you will see the express tracks--but are evidently willing to use the local tracks (and then make the switch to the express tracks after Carroll Street) while the Bergen street express stop is fixed up. Still, until the viaduct is repaired, there will be no regular express service on the F. We can pull this thread up again in 2013-4 and revisit the issue.

Also, the R and N have been known to oldtimers as the "rarely runs" and "never runs" for a good 40-50 years--back in the "good old days" (1970s and before) express trains generally had one letter (the D or the B were both express trains) and local trains had two letters. Today's R was the RR and the N was the NR, hence the nicknames.

And finally, they better not get rid of the G! Not only is it a lifeline to many places that would not get subway service otherwise, it is the answer to an important NYC subway triva question: what is the only regularly scheduled subway line (not a shuttle) that never enters Manhattan?

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 10:48 PM
  #49
danno2530
 
danno2530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,453
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
F train going express once a week? Eh, it's been a heck of a lot more than that lately and I actually hate it. I'd welcome that if I knew it would happen. I sit in the front car and get off at Ft. Hamilton and walk about three blocks to get home from there. I could sit in the back car of the F and walk three blocks and get off at Church. See where I'm going with this? If I'm going to sit in the back, I'd take the 6 to the 4 to the A to the F (actually quite quick). If the F goes express, great, if not, I go an extra stop. If I'm going to sit in the front, it's the 6 to the F. What's my issue? I've been taking the 6 to the F a lot and the F has been going express a lot lately, which means I have a long walk down McDonald Ave then my three blocks, or get off at 7th to wait for "the train right behind us". If I knew there would be an express train, I'd sit in the back all the time. They should get rid of the G and utilize the express tracks that are there. To put it nicely, F can stand for frustrating.
I must keep getting on the train that gets stuck behind the train that eventually goes express becuase I haven't been getting them lately. I usually sit in the front car and get off at Kings Hwy but I can also get off at Ave U if I'm in the last car. I only get off at U if I need to pick up something at the store over there though. So it's quite beneficial for me personally since Kings Hwy is an express stop although I do have friends who use 15th and Ft. Hamilton and complain frequently about the express trains, so I can see it both ways.

I agree quite a bit about the G train though. If they really want to put it to better use, make the F a full-time local and have the G go express to Coney Island.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 10:49 PM
  #50
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light
 
Hobgoblin Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bay Ridge
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,953
vCash: 500
If they get rid of the G (I hate the G, its so terrible every time I use it) how else am I going to get to Pratt?

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.