HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moving to Brooklyn

Old
03-17-2009, 12:40 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
I've lived my whole life in Bensonhurst. Don't move here. What used to be a very nice neighborhood has degenerated into a filthy dump. I'm moving to Bay Ridge soon.

If I could afford it, and could live anywhere in Brooklyn, it would be Park Slope. But I can't. Williamsburg and Greenpoint are okay, but I'm not a huge fan personally. They're just dreary, depressing places, IMO. There has been a lot of gang-related activity very recently in Williamsburg, also. But it's not as bad as Bushwick, Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights, etc.

I think Bay Ridge is the best choice if you can afford it because it's a fairly nice neighborhood, not that far from the city if you get a place near the R-train.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 01:32 AM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
F train going express once a week? Eh, it's been a heck of a lot more than that lately and I actually hate it. I'd welcome that if I knew it would happen. I sit in the front car and get off at Ft. Hamilton and walk about three blocks to get home from there. I could sit in the back car of the F and walk three blocks and get off at Church. See where I'm going with this? If I'm going to sit in the back, I'd take the 6 to the 4 to the A to the F (actually quite quick). If the F goes express, great, if not, I go an extra stop. If I'm going to sit in the front, it's the 6 to the F. What's my issue? I've been taking the 6 to the F a lot and the F has been going express a lot lately, which means I have a long walk down McDonald Ave then my three blocks, or get off at 7th to wait for "the train right behind us". If I knew there would be an express train, I'd sit in the back all the time. They should get rid of the G and utilize the express tracks that are there. To put it nicely, F can stand for frustrating.
You are describing exactly where I live and how I ride the F. We've probably seen each other on the train or in Mohammed's store or on the run.

I honestly don't think the F train is all that bad. Especially morning rush hour.My girlfriend lives on the L and commuting to work in the morning it's not uncommon at all to have to wait like 2 or 3 trains before you can squeeze into one. It's awful. The F never gets that bad. I do wish that the f went express to church more often and that the G train extended down to church, but maybe someday...

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 05:04 AM
Nemchinov13

There's a rumor that the G will get extended to Church Ave, so it would run locally from Court Sq and terminating at Church Ave (TA is almost done with the construction of crew facilities), and the F would go express from Church to Jay St.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 08:23 AM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
There's a rumor that the G will get extended to Church Ave, so it would run locally from Court Sq and terminating at Church Ave (TA is almost done with the construction of crew facilities), and the F would go express from Church to Jay St.
Dont get me started on this. Living in Astoria, its so frustrating to have to transfer almost 3 times to get to places in BK yet they are building a new line on the Upper West Side. Really MTA? You can do all this bs work in Manhattan like extend the 7 and create the T but you cant reliably and fully connect Western queens and Brooklyn without forcing us through Manhattan? Really?

Oh, and the fares are going up soon.

sorry guys /rant

Last night my future roomie solidified our plans, we're looking in Greenpoint for May 1st. Anyone know any good honest agents?

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Fletch

I don't make it into Mo's store any longer (he's across from Foodtown, right?). I either pop into Foodtown, or Chino's if I get off a Ft. Hamilton Parkway.

The problem with the F train is it's real spotty. I got spoiled living on 32nd and Lex, and 29th and 3rd for about 10 years and I took the 6 train. The 6 train in the morning seemed to come every 2-3 minutes, and my commute was 2 stops (and I walked home, so that was my commute). You never know what you're going to get with the F train - you could easily wait 15 minutes at 7:30PM and see a V train or two pass by. Then you get stuck before Smith street waiting for the G train.

I guess the bottom line for the original poster is that while we seem to be *****ing about our 25-45 minute commutes into work, it's really not that bad anywhere you go. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a bit to get into a good locale with relatively cheaper rents. But it's not like you're sitting in a car - you can read a paper, do work, listen to music or what-have-you. It's frustrating when one day your commute is 40 miuntes and the next it's 55, but it's a heck of a lot worse on a daily basis for many.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:55 AM
segmentation fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
Seriously it baffles me how they get an amount of people equal to the population of China* to use their services every day and still somehow dont make enough money. We need to storm their offices with pitchforks and molotovs.

*: slight exaggeration

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 10:06 AM
ap215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I've lived my whole life in Bensonhurst. Don't move here. What used to be a very nice neighborhood has degenerated into a filthy dump. I'm moving to Bay Ridge soon.

If I could afford it, and could live anywhere in Brooklyn, it would be Park Slope. But I can't. Williamsburg and Greenpoint are okay, but I'm not a huge fan personally. They're just dreary, depressing places, IMO. There has been a lot of gang-related activity very recently in Williamsburg, also. But it's not as bad as Bushwick, Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights, etc.

I think Bay Ridge is the best choice if you can afford it because it's a fairly nice neighborhood, not that far from the city if you get a place near the R-train.
Yeah i lived there myself that area changed alot my brother in law is also from Bensonhurst.

And to staf i have you enjoy Brooklyn i've lived there for over 30 years my one and only true home for all my life but now i live in SI, as far as places to go Bed-Sty would be one also visit Marine Park lots of cool stores to check out and also there's a big park there as well for summer activities.

ap215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 11:14 AM
JSTAFF

thank guys for all your responses. When I move out there maybe i'll hit some of you guys up so we can catch a NYR/PHI game somewhere. the train situation seems a whole lot more confusion than it is here in North Philly. Only a few choices here haha. Thanks again

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 11:20 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafuccijr View Post
thank guys for all your responses. When I move out there maybe i'll hit some of you guys up so we can catch a NYR/PHI game somewhere. the train situation seems a whole lot more confusion than it is here in North Philly. Only a few choices here haha. Thanks again
its confusing at first, but then you realize that you can pretty much go anywhere with the train. none of that train/bus/train/bus/bus/bus/bus/bus/bus/bus stuff.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Fletch

the only confusing thing is that there are many lines, which is convenient. You can get just about anywhere from anywhere on $2 (or $3, or whatever the fare is and to wherever it's going).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
This conversation about Greenpoint and Williamsburg went on far too long before hipsters were brought into it. Dude, if you move there, make sure to pack your skinny jeans and non-prescription glasses, just sayin'. Lot's of awesome places to get a beer around there though.
The hipsters aren't so bad. Very friendly people. Some hot women too. Also, one more thing about Williamsburg/Greenpoint -- the parking here is terrible. It can be very hard to find a spot around here, if you have or are thinking about getting a car.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 11:58 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
I live here (Bay ridge) Its a nice area, not much crime, some street races/local idiots, but nothing special, ask Levski,NYRANGERSfan0922, and Bluenote. The bars around here are great, foods reasonably cheap and good options, not alot of clubs (whooo!- dont like them) and parkings not too bad. Trains are pretty much all very close, N/R/D (despite what people say, they're not THAT bad), Busses are pretty good, and will most anywhere the train don't, and the timetables are pretty accurate.
If you play Roller Hockey however, be prepared to not find an assessable rink. Also be prepared to get kicked out of most tennis courts and schoolyards.

What he said. I live on 86th and Ft. Ham. Pkway.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 12:05 PM
JSTAFF

The roller hockey thing sucks a bit too. I'm in two mens indoor roller hockey leagues here

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 12:34 PM
LamoTheKid

when it comes to the subways, with the exception of the strictly east west lines and the G, remember this: Uptown is Queens and the Bronx, downtown is Brooklyn. Most lines have to run through Manhattan to go from Q to B or vice versa.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 12:36 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bury Your Head View Post
The hipsters aren't so bad. Very friendly people. Some hot women too. Also, one more thing about Williamsburg/Greenpoint -- the parking here is terrible. It can be very hard to find a spot around here, if you have or are thinking about getting a car.
I don't know really find that to be the case. Compared to a parking hell like Manhattan, the only problem I find in parking in Greenpoint is during street cleaning hours.

While I hope he wouldn't need a car, parking isn't a huge problem at all. I've never had to double around a block for more than twice. Now if you care about your car, that's another story. Remember your unscathed bumpers fondly, because that's the last time you'll see them in that condition.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 03:48 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
You never know what you're going to get with the F train - you could easily wait 15 minutes at 7:30PM and see a V train or two pass by. Then you get stuck before Smith street waiting for the G train.
The V train is absolutely evil. I hate it. There's always an audible groan when one pulls into the station. My cousin works for the MTA and she said that they basically realize that the V is for the most part a colossal failure but they don't want to admit it publicly by getting rid of the line, so it's most likely going to stay around for the time being and us Brooklyn residents get to keep watching them pass through every day.

Quote:
The subways can definitely be confusing to someone not from here, but after a while you'll get the hang of it. Just pay attention to those Weekend Service Advisories because they are always changing things up. Despite all of our complaints, the MTA actually runs pretty well compared to other cities' subways - I was down at the game Saturday in Philly and I waited 15 minutes for the Orange line on a late-Saturday morning..and I know that is typical as well.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
What he said. I live on 86th and Ft. Ham. Pkway.
cool! we should get a beer at skinflints, im on 70th and fortham parkway

Quote:
The roller hockey thing sucks a bit too. I'm in two mens indoor roller hockey leagues here
theres no indoor league here, but theres an outdoor one, PM me for details.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 05:52 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Sheepshead Bay!

Flatbush

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 07:25 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Prospect Heights yet. Tucked between Park Slope, Fort Greene and Crown Heights... prices (if you look hard enough) are still affordable, Prospect Park is walkable, bars and restaurants are exploding (and if you don't like the local ones, it's a ten minute walk to the "known" joints in the Slope) and it's only minutes from Manhattan on multiple train lines.

Fletch, when are we meeting up for a beer at the Gate/Park Slope Brewery/etc.?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
The V train is absolutely evil. I hate it. There's always an audible groan when one pulls into the station. My cousin works for the MTA and she said that they basically realize that the V is for the most part a colossal failure but they don't want to admit it publicly by getting rid of the line, so it's most likely going to stay around for the time being and us Brooklyn residents get to keep watching them pass through every day.

The subways can definitely be confusing to someone not from here, but after a while you'll get the hang of it. Just pay attention to those Weekend Service Advisories because they are always changing things up. Despite all of our complaints, the MTA actually runs pretty well compared to other cities' subways - I was down at the game Saturday in Philly and I waited 15 minutes for the Orange line on a late-Saturday morning..and I know that is typical as well.
The V is really redundant. It's a waste of money. It runs locally in Queens (and that job is done by R), goes through 53rd st into the 6th Ave (which is done by the E and the F) and terminates at 2nd Ave. And along the way, it plugs all three lines. The V is one of the reasons for the occasional F-expresses mentioned earlier.

The weekend advisories... Oh boy. They might put the R on the 6th Ave line, they'll run the D in three sections... But, work must be done and the 100+ year old system must be maintained, if we still want to have subway.

By the way, a person fell under one of the Queens-bound Broadway trains today at 59 and Lex. The Broadway service was killed from roughly noon until ~1300PM.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 09:49 AM
rick063092

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
Dont get me started on this. Living in Astoria, its so frustrating to have to transfer almost 3 times to get to places in BK yet they are building a new line on the Upper West Side. Really MTA? You can do all this bs work in Manhattan like extend the 7 and create the T but you cant reliably and fully connect Western queens and Brooklyn without forcing us through Manhattan? Really?

sorry guys /rant

Last night my future roomie solidified our plans, we're looking in Greenpoint for May 1st. Anyone know any good honest agents?
If you're living on Hazen st., that was and is always considered East Elmhurst.

rick063092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 10:08 AM
ap215

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
Sheepshead Bay!

Flatbush

ap215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 07:28 PM
redfzn

Well, I just moved from Hudson Heights, upper Manhattan, west of Washington Heights to I guess you could say Bed Stuy right on the border of Williamsburg? I'm on Bedford btwn Park and Myrtle. Seems good and quiet, a lot of Hasidic Jewish ppl.

Anyone have any input on the neighborhood being that I've been a Manhattan resident my whole life until it became a gated community, if you know what I mean...

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote