HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jack Todd Defends Carbo

Old
03-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Turboflex*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Theo was coming off a few very disappointing years and they gave him a 4.5M cap hit. That's only 1.1M less than Huet.
Sorry, but Theo didn't come cheap in WSH, I would have went with Huet.
Need I mention they also resigned Fedorov at a 4M cap hit?..

So they had the room to keep Huet if they truly wanted him back.
Cmon dude do a little research before you post something retarded.

Theo's contract = 2 years

Huet's = 4 years

HUGE difference, esp. for the Capitals who are already up against the cap and coincidently have Semin and Backstrom up as RFAs in 2 years and due for big raises.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Todd is speaking the truth. Many were looking for quick fix, a scape goat in Carbonneau not taking into consideration that every move is questioned, especially when it doesn't work. Yet, had his players committed like other teams do, we would have had success.

Way to tell it like it is Jack!
How can they commit to a team when the coach doesn't tell them what to improve??..

Carbo's best answer to when players said they didn't know what was wrong was ''my door is always open''.

Can you name me any boss/manager of a serious enterprise that will wait for their employees to come into his office to ask what they have to do or if they're doing a good job?..
As a boss, you have to manage your crew. Can you imagine how unproductive your workers are going to get if you never check up on them or tell them how to improve certain things?

It's Carbo's job to make sure his players understand everything he wants them to do. That all is clear, and if there's any type of doubts, to ask come to him.
It's his duty to communicate well with his players, something he openly admitted that he needed to work on.

You keep pointing the finger solely in the direction of certain players, most noticeably Kovalev. Questioning their heart and will. But why is that?..Do you think they just woke up one day and said ''bahh..I don't like Carbo's nose anymore, let's play badly until he gets fired''

Are you saying that this team is uncoachable?? that Carbo, Gainey, Therrien, Bowman, Ruff, it's all the same thing because it's only the players's fault??..

I never blamed Carbo completely for it. I said he was part of the problem. You on the other hand, refuse to put an ounce of blame on Carbo. That's foolish.

Last edited by Kriss E: 03-16-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 04:56 PM
smon

Quote:
Theo was coming off a few very disappointing years and they gave him a 4.5M cap hit. That's only 1.1M less than Huet.
Sorry, but Theo didn't come cheap in WSH, I would have went with Huet.
Need I mention they also resigned Fedorov at a 4M cap hit?..

So they had the room to keep Huet if they truly wanted him back.
Yes, but you're taking timing out of it. Huet got signed earlier by Chicago which pissed off Washington's fanbase and led to Washington's management panicking and overpaying Theodore.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 04:57 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
To be fair Huet wouldnt have helped much in the playoffs either. At least Price made it to the second round

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Cmon dude do a little research before you post something retarded.

Theo's contract = 2 years

Huet's = 4 years

HUGE difference, esp. for the Capitals who are already up against the cap and coincidently have Semin and Backstrom up as RFAs in 2 years and due for big raises.
I was talking in terms of cap hit, not length.

And no, the difference is not huge because they will have to resign someone again after Theo.

But 5.6M invested in what you believe is a true #1 Goaltender is a very good deal.
As long as you believe he is a #1. If you don't, then it's different, which is what I was saying. If they thought Huet was truly a great #1, they wouldn't have had a problem signing him at that cap hit and for 5years.

I did my research, I knew the length of the contracts. But like I said, I was talking about his cap hit, which isn't a high one.

You should understand my post before labeling it as ''retarded''.

Old
03-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Yes, but you're taking timing out of it. Huet got signed earlier by Chicago which pissed off Washington's fanbase and led to Washington's management panicking and overpaying Theodore.
Well, they only have themselves to blame for this. Can't blame another organization for signing a player before them.

Old
03-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
How can they commit to a team when the coach doesn't tell them what to improve??..

Carbo's best answer to when players said they didn't know what was wrong was ''my door is always open''.

Can you name me any boss/manager of a serious enterprise that will wait for their employees to come into his office to ask what they have to do or if they're doing a good job?..
As a boss, you have to manage your crew. Can you imagine how unproductive your workers are going to get if you never check up on them or tell them how to improve certain things?

It's Carbo's job to make sure his players understand everything he wants them to do. That all is clear, and if there's any type of doubts, to ask come to him.
It's his duty to communicate well with his players, something he openly admitted that he needed to work on.

You keep pointing the finger solely in the direction of certain players, most noticeably Kovalev. Questioning their heart and will. But why is that?..Do you think they just woke up one day and said ''bahh..I don't like Carbo's nose anymore, let's play badly until he gets fired''

Are you saying that this team is uncoachable?? that Carbo, Gainey, Therrien, Bowman, Ruff, it's all the same thing because it's only the players's fault??..

I never blamed Carbo completely for it. I said he was part of the problem. You on the other hand, refuse to put an ounce of blame on Carbo. That's foolish.
I don't buy that one second!

As I said, way to tell it the way it is Jack!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
How about we keep Huet and because of his great play we beat Philly 'cause Huet would have gotten the job done? Huet would not have needed to be lights out against Philly.....just do to a fine job. Don't believe that not being able to score on Biron is solely due to our lack of talent or lack of finish. It has to do with the confidence we didn't have anymore at one point since our goalie wasn't able to stop anything.
Huet was losing the starting job. He wasn't playing well with us around the time Gainey traded him. The deal shocked people because they thought Huet would be a good back-up for Price, who was clearly on fire at that time. How was a cold Huet, who loves to let in crucial goals, going to be good enough to better the Flyers when Biron was on a hotstreak?

Do I need to make a comparison? Maybe I do.

Huet vs. Flyers: First Four Games
Allowed 16 goals

Price vs Flyers: Four out of Five Games
Allowed 16 goals

While there was that one abysmal game against the Flyers where Price got pulled for Halak after letting in 3 goals in 12 shots, you also have Huet allowing 5 goals in 32 shots.

Neither goaltender would have done any better for one simple fact: The Canadiens, no matter how hard they tried (Holding the Flyers to just 14 shots an entire game but only scoring twice on 34 shots is a good example) could not beat Biron.

Unless you think some magically cold Huet who loves to let in goals at the worst possible time in games is going to somehow help the team break their drought against Biron, I don't know what leads you to think that Huet puts us in the Eastern Conference Finals. Gainey has made mistakes, going with Price isn't one of them.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Beakermania*

If Huet was the starting goalie we may not have beaten boston....

People forget that Price put up 2 shutouts in that series.... 1 in game 4 which was a 1-0 win... and 1 in game 7 where the bruin badly outchanced us in the first period but we somehow got to intermission with a 1-0 lead thanks to Komisarek's shot with a weird bounce leading to a goal. If we were losing 2-1 after that period it would have been a whole different game.

Also what was Price's record down the stretch last year?? If Huet was the starting goalie for the rest of the season we probably wouldn't have finished 1st. We were 6th at the time of the deal.

Its easy to say Huet would have beaten Philly... and there is no denying Price had a very rough series... but hindsight is 20/20... we may not have even played boston or beaten them had we not made the trade. Everything down the stretch last year would have been different.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 12:44 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
To be fair Huet wouldnt have helped much in the playoffs either. At least Price made it to the second round
Agreed. The Habs do not beat the Bruins in the first round with Huet in net. He would have given up a goal in that 1-0 game in Boston and he would have been destroyed in the 1st period of Game 7.

I think what people try to say is that Huet would have been good insurance in the 2nd round when Price faltered. Halak, who I trust more than Huet, was put in for one game and he didn't even win.

People find anything to complain about. If the Habs kept Huet and lost to Philly regardless, they would ***** that Gainey didn't get anything for him. If the Habs traded Souray, Streit or Ryder at the deadline people would cry that Gainey gave up on the season. There just isn't any middle ground over here.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Huet was losing the starting job. He wasn't playing well with us around the time Gainey traded him. The deal shocked people because they thought Huet would be a good back-up for Price, who was clearly on fire at that time. How was a cold Huet, who loves to let in crucial goals, going to be good enough to better the Flyers when Biron was on a hotstreak?

Do I need to make a comparison? Maybe I do.

Huet vs. Flyers: First Four Games
Allowed 16 goals

Price vs Flyers: Four out of Five Games
Allowed 16 goals

While there was that one abysmal game against the Flyers where Price got pulled for Halak after letting in 3 goals in 12 shots, you also have Huet allowing 5 goals in 32 shots.

Neither goaltender would have done any better for one simple fact: The Canadiens, no matter how hard they tried (Holding the Flyers to just 14 shots an entire game but only scoring twice on 34 shots is a good example) could not beat Biron.

Unless you think some magically cold Huet who loves to let in goals at the worst possible time in games is going to somehow help the team break their drought against Biron, I don't know what leads you to think that Huet puts us in the Eastern Conference Finals. Gainey has made mistakes, going with Price isn't one of them.
I love how people keep saying how people who are talking about the drafts are going with hindsight but still people use hindsight to explain how Huet sucked during the Flyers series which then prooves the point that he would not have been able to help us. At the deadline, Gainey did not know that Huet would have given 16 goals in 4 games against the Flyers. The bet was that Price was ready, we didn't need a hot or even a cold Huet. Price wasn't ready, he lost the bet. What Huet did, would have done, would do is totally irrelevant 'cause there is still no way you would konw how Huet would have reacted with a Habs team in front of him, who at the time was much better defensively than a Caps team. So not knowing that piece of info, the only thing we know and can judge is that Gainey believes that Price was ready. And clearly, with everything that we know off and on the ice, he's not ready to be real profressionnal and he's not ready to be the main guy. That's the bet he took at the deadline, and he lost.

And even if you had to compare both Huet and Price against the Flyers, which again makes no sense, 'cause different situations, different teams, I love how you disregard the number of shots Huet faced, the number of quality shots as well and also the factor that Huet was loved in this dressing room, and that him coming on board, while he's not the greatest goalie on the planet, could have changed the pace of a game. All factors we will never know about. Even if from your standpoint, Huet sucked against the Flyers. A guy who DID suck during the 1st game (4 goals on 22 shots), and the 3rd game (5 goals on 32 shots) but who did pretty well the rest of the way.

It was too much to put this playoffs on the shoulders of a young kid who CLEARLY as a lot of maturity to gain. That's not hindsight. We are all stunned to see that trade when it happened and most people talked about how it was a bold move. Too bold in the end.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
People find anything to complain about. If the Habs kept Huet and lost to Philly regardless, they would ***** that Gainey didn't get anything for him. If the Habs traded Souray, Streit or Ryder at the deadline people would cry that Gainey gave up on the season. There just isn't any middle ground over here.
I would love to hear the middle grounds of people who keeps defending Gainey no matter what. Even his most glaring mistakes are never mistakes. Hearing most people the guy did not make 1 single mistake so far. I don't think it's better than people who find that he always makes mistakes.

Old
03-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
I would love to hear the middle grounds of people who keeps defending Gainey no matter what. Even his most glaring mistakes are never mistakes. Hearing most people the guy did not make 1 single mistake so far. I don't think it's better than people who find that he always makes mistakes.
In all respect, I think you're missing the point.

Did Gainey make mistakes? Absolutely.

The point is that he gets **** on regularly for doing something that, had he done the opposite, he would've been **** on too.

There is **** journalisme, and there is Montréal Canadiens **** journalism. NEVER are people satisfied. What I personnaly feel about the situation has nothing to do with what the idiot who wrote that article says. I'm just really tired of bums being allowed to write on just about anything and get away with writing pure BS.

And I hate Réjean Tremblay, SO MUCH. But that's besides the point.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
In all respect, I think you're missing the point.

Did Gainey make mistakes? Absolutely.

The point is that he gets **** on regularly for doing something that, had he done the opposite, he would've been **** on too.

There is **** journalisme, and there is Montréal Canadiens **** journalism. NEVER are people satisfied. What I personnaly feel about the situation has nothing to do with what the idiot who wrote that article says. I'm just really tired of bums being allowed to write on just about anything and get away with writing pure BS.

And I hate Réjean Tremblay, SO MUCH. But that's besides the point.
The fact that you recognize that Gainey makes mistakes is great. Like people should recognize that he makes some great things as well. That's the point. But then the fact that he gets blamed for whatever he does, well that's pretty much life isn't it? There's just as many opinions that there are fans. So it's pretty normal. As far as Habs journalism, well everybody is on the Quebec players, and Quebec coaching so if everybody would be french, it's not true, those journalists would be happy.......until they start losing so they'll be able to tell that it's great to have Quebecers around but we need the RIGHT Quebecers.....and then when that happens, they'll be happy.....I mean as happy as journalists can be. Happy stories doesn't sell as much as negative stories.

So there is a way to make them more happy.....will it make the team win? That seems to be beside the point for them right now. They surely prefer a losing Quebec team than a losing UN team. It's either one or the other. Either you're a great UN team that keeps winning, either you have a team full of francos. But clearly in this city, you CANNOT have an average UN team....not for the media anyway.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 03-17-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old
03-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I love how people keep saying how people who are talking about the drafts are going with hindsight but still people use hindsight to explain how Huet sucked during the Flyers series which then prooves the point that he would not have been able to help us. At the deadline, Gainey did not know that Huet would have given 16 goals in 4 games against the Flyers. The bet was that Price was ready, we didn't need a hot or even a cold Huet. Price wasn't ready, he lost the bet. What Huet did, would have done, would do is totally irrelevant 'cause there is still no way you would konw how Huet would have reacted with a Habs team in front of him, who at the time was much better defensively than a Caps team. So not knowing that piece of info, the only thing we know and can judge is that Gainey believes that Price was ready. And clearly, with everything that we know off and on the ice, he's not ready to be real profressionnal and he's not ready to be the main guy. That's the bet he took at the deadline, and he lost.

And even if you had to compare both Huet and Price against the Flyers, which again makes no sense, 'cause different situations, different teams, I love how you disregard the number of shots Huet faced, the number of quality shots as well and also the factor that Huet was loved in this dressing room, and that him coming on board, while he's not the greatest goalie on the planet, could have changed the pace of a game. All factors we will never know about. Even if from your standpoint, Huet sucked against the Flyers. A guy who DID suck during the 1st game (4 goals on 22 shots), and the 3rd game (5 goals on 32 shots) but who did pretty well the rest of the way.

It was too much to put this playoffs on the shoulders of a young kid who CLEARLY as a lot of maturity to gain. That's not hindsight. We are all stunned to see that trade when it happened and most people talked about how it was a bold move. Too bold in the end.
Its such revisionist history though.... Price was great down the stretch last year taking us from 6th to 1st. He was great in the first round. You can't just start him all those games and then magically airlift Huet in for the Flyers series. If Huet was in net from the trade deadline on we never would have done as well as we did and we may not have made it as far as the Flyers series.

People forget how with Huet every single time we had a chance to pass the sens in the standings last year he **** the bed. Like that Hockey Day in Canada game where we were down 3-0 after 4 shots in the first 3 minutes..... like numerous other games. it was only after he was gone that we took over the conference lead. Price's play down the stretch last year was a huge reason for that. He was spectacular.

If you kept Huet, Price never would have been the starter... just going out and naming price the starter while keeping Huet on the roster post deadline would have caused problems in the dressing room... but even if we assume that this is what happened; then what??

You are gonna start Huet in Game 1 of the Flyers series after Price just shutout the Bruins in Game 7. Come on we both know that isn't gonna happen.

Old
03-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacioretty67 View Post
Its such revisionist history though.... Price was great down the stretch last year taking us from 6th to 1st. He was great in the first round. You can't just start him all those games and then magically airlift Huet in for the Flyers series. If Huet was in net from the trade deadline on we never would have done as well as we did and we may not have made it as far as the Flyers series.

People forget how with Huet every single time we had a chance to pass the sens in the standings last year he **** the bed. Like that Hockey Day in Canada game where we were down 3-0 after 4 shots in the first 3 minutes..... like numerous other games. it was only after he was gone that we took over the conference lead. Price's play down the stretch last year was a huge reason for that. He was spectacular.

If you kept Huet, Price never would have been the starter... just going out and naming price the starter while keeping Huet on the roster post deadline would have caused problems in the dressing room... but even if we assume that this is what happened; then what??

You are gonna start Huet in Game 1 of the Flyers series after Price just shutout the Bruins in Game 7. Come on we both know that isn't gonna happen.
Again, it's not revisionnist history. It's not like we had a need for a 2nd rounder. But don't you remember at the time that at least some people weren't too sure about it when it happened, saying that while Price was doing good, that we should've kept a vet presence around in case it wouldn't work as well? I mean everybody was fine in letting Huet go? Don't think so. Thing is, while it's probably wrong to think that way, trades that happen at the deadline or around it are usually, for contenders, a way to try to help your team to go as far as possible. That wasn't that type of trade.

And I don't know why the fact that we would've kept Huet automatically means that I would've made him THE starter. I would not. And I would not have put Huet in the 1st game of the Philly series 'cause we won it anyway. That again is so not the point. Even how Price looked is not the point. You keep players or you go get players IN CASE something doesn't work as planned. Even just as an insurance policy, Huet was a good choice. So how is keeping Huet automatically means he HAD to be the starter?

I can't stand anymore that everytime we let someone go, he's suddenly the worst player to have ever touched the ice. So all of a sudden, Huet was the worst goalie and would not have made a difference......like Streit.....like Souray.....like Ribeiro....like the finished Ryder.....I mean, why are people doing this? Why are they actually thinking that a player is always worst than he really is? In order to still think that Gainey never makes mistakes? Like those famous "He would not have done it here", or "He had to go no matter what"......

Huet did have a GAA of 2.56 and Save of.916...not the end of the world, but not André Racicot's numbers as well. Then he had in him to have a GAA of 1.63 and a Save% of .936.....not so bad for a terrible goalie. Sure he had the Caps offense but people who thinks that he was irrelevant in the Caps run for the playoffs did not watch a single game they played. As his numbers still prooves this year, he is a good goalie, not great, not invincible, just good......Price wasn't good against Philly. How are we forgetting that we're talking about a rookie goalie who plays in one of the most difficult hockey market? Takes time for any rookies to really feel at ease, do you imagine the time it takes for goaltenders?

Anyway, just my POV based on what I thought when the trade happened.

Old
03-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Jigger77

My opinion on the Carbo firing...After a few days of pondering.

1. The players crashed this team (and not necessarily because of their on-ice performances). Carbo's firing was a smoke-screen of sorts, a way to draw attention away from something else.

2. It wasn't Gainey's decision.

3. It was a mistake, He will coach Dallas to their next Stanley Cup. There aren't too many individuals out there with his work ethic and desire to win.

4. Gainey is gone this summer. He will leave the team.

Just my opinion. Time will tell if I'm way off track or not.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Beakermania*

I still believe Carbo will be a good coach somewhere.. however part of that is he will learn from his mistakes in Montreal.

Claude Julien learned from mistakes in Montreal and in Jersey and is now doing very well in boston... However that doesn't mean that we made a mistake in firing him.

Even if Carbonneau goes on to be a great coach elsewhere it doesn't mean we made a mistake firing him last week.

Old
03-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I still believe Carbo will be a good coach somewhere.. however part of that is he will learn from his mistakes in Montreal.

Claude Julien learned from mistakes in Montreal and in Jersey and is now doing very well in boston... However that doesn't mean that we made a mistake in firing him.

Even if Carbonneau goes on to be a great coach elsewhere it doesn't mean we made a mistake firing him last week.
I totally agree you. I feel that it's just plain stupid to say that they were great 'cause now they did become great. Well maybe they are 'cause they learned a few things long the way. Thing is, clearly Vigneault had almost the worst teams in Habs history and wasn't fired 'cause he sucked but mostly 'cause somebody had to pay. Don't believe Therrien was the right fit for us at the time while Julien wasn't Gainey's man. Do believe that Julien could've stayed though.

But they did become better mostly 'cause of the experience they had in Montreal. Even with that experience though, Julien was fired again since then, same with Therrien, while Vigneault might have been 1 week away from being fired as well...

Old
03-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Jigger77

Quote:

Strange logic.

So why do they need to go to another team to learn from their mistakes and do very well?

Why not learn from them here?

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Strange logic.

So why do they need to go to another team to learn from their mistakes and do very well?

Why not learn from them here?
Well for that, you would need to have patient fans, patient media and a patient upper management.

'Cause it's been 15 years now that we've been waiting collectively for something else than a 2nd rounder, everybody doesn't have much patience.

Old
03-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Dr Blanket

Quote:

There is a saying, at least here in Finland, that a businessman can't really be successful until he/she has gone through at least one bankruptcy. I think it's quite the same with coaching. When you get fired you have to face your faults and by doing that you learn and inevitably become better.

So maybe Habs should hire a coach who has been fired at least once during his career. No more rookie coaches who learn here and then have success elsewhere, please. IMO Lever is an exception since he's not really a rookie, although I'm not saying it has to be Lever.

Dr Blanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

I just want to say that Gainey let Huet go to give the #1 spot to Price. Something he was ready for seeing as he lead us to top seed in east. I also want to add that it was rumored Hossa was coming here along with Hedberg. He would have been that veteran backup everybody longed for.
Alas, Gainey got screwed by Waddell when he decided to raise the price for Hossa when Shero put his two cents in.

Now, to argue we wouldn't have been better in POs if Huet was there is as dumb as to argue we would have been better with him there.

Bottom line is, he lost to Flyers in the 1st round and we lost to them in the 2nd round. The year before, he looked like crap in the PO clinching game vs Toronto(although I blame Carbo for putting him in, that was just dumb). In 05-06, he chocked vs Carolina, giving up that softy to Brind'Amour turned out to be a crucial goal in the turnaround of that Serie. He let in a few other softies after that.
Those are the FACTS.
Anything outside of this is just speculations and that's all they will always remain.

Did BG have any real reason to think we'd be a better team with Huet in PO than Price?..Not really and I completely agree with giving Price the PO experience instead of giving it to a goalie we all knew wasn't going to resign here.

Old
03-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Puckhead58*

Carbo needed to go. He DID lose the dressing room, that is if he ever had it. His lack of communication with the players is enough of a reason to let him go IMO. If you can't get along with and communicate with the players you coach everyday, then nothing you do it going to work. Carbo refused to use a style that the players were comfortable using. He continuously juggled the lines around so there was no chance for anybody to form any kind of chemistry with other players. The way he publically criticized most of his players in the media was not appropriate either. Carbo admitting that he had run out of ideas to get the team to play better was the last straw. Anytime a coach admits he can't get the team to perform, he is usually gone shortly afterwards....whats the sense in keeping him around if the players don't play for him??? Now the only thing the Habs have left to do is to make Lever the head coach, sign some free agents that will actually help the team and we'll be back on track.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I just want to say that Gainey let Huet go to give the #1 spot to Price. Something he was ready for seeing as he lead us to top seed in east. I also want to add that it was rumored Hossa was coming here along with Hedberg. He would have been that veteran backup everybody longed for.
Alas, Gainey got screwed by Waddell when he decided to raise the price for Hossa when Shero put his two cents in.

Now, to argue we wouldn't have been better in POs if Huet was there is as dumb as to argue we would have been better with him there.

Bottom line is, he lost to Flyers in the 1st round and we lost to them in the 2nd round. The year before, he looked like crap in the PO clinching game vs Toronto(although I blame Carbo for putting him in, that was just dumb). In 05-06, he chocked vs Carolina, giving up that softy to Brind'Amour turned out to be a crucial goal in the turnaround of that Serie. He let in a few other softies after that.
Those are the FACTS.
Anything outside of this is just speculations and that's all they will always remain.

Did BG have any real reason to think we'd be a better team with Huet in PO than Price?..Not really and I completely agree with giving Price the PO experience instead of giving it to a goalie we all knew wasn't going to resign here.
Why is it that we choose to disregard Huet's contribution to that regular season as well? He was in net for 39 games, winning 21 games, with a GAA of 2.56 and a Save% of .916. Despite what people want to believe, Huet was a key contributor to that season as well. Yes, Price has slightly better numbers mostly the Save %. But the rest is pretty much the same. Now, like we love to do in Montreal, goalies or forwards, you're just as good as your worst moments. Souray began to be really awful after his Spezza moment. Ribeiro began to be a punk after his fake heart attack, and now Huet was a sieve after some softies and the famous shot from the point running gag. Strangely, as of now, Halak still survive that he is a rebound machine, he is still considered right now as the guy who saved our season but watch will happen after he's gone.....he'll then become Mr. Rebound Machine who was not needed anyway.....

Huet is not as bad as people loves to think he is. I know it's HF, but there are some grey zones. Sure, he let that shot from the point against Carolina, sure some other softies happened.....like Price gave, like Halak gave. But Price was beyond the softies against Philly. Even just an average Huet would have done a better job AFTER YOU WOULD HAVE GONE WITH PRICE FIRST.

Where do I suggest that Huet should've been the #1? Keep Huet, name Price #1 and ride him like you did, giving some games to Huet along the way. Start him against Boston and start him against Philly since he's had you that shutout at the 7th game. But then when everything starts to go from bad to worst, you still have an experience goalie that you hope would have learned from his so-bad moments instead of going with another rookie. All what I'm saying.

Anyway, it's a subject that everybody will keep their position and it's fine for me. My point is that you didn't have to trade him to make Price understand he was the #1. You tell him and play him like #1. You give him the confidence he needs. Huet was not known as a **** disturber. Sure he was playing for a contract, and chances are he would not have had the contract he did if he hadn't play for Washington the way he did. But then, the Habs are not the Salvation Army. I mean it's great to accomodate guys for their own well-being, but at one point, we have a team to run.

As far as the Hossa deal is concerned, well if you traded Huet BEFORE that you knew for sure that Hedberg was coming, well then, if Hedberg was in the deal, it does mean that Gainey didn't want to go with Halak, so if you're not ready to go with him, well you better be sure the deal is done. Was there a rumor that if we had wait after the Hossa deal would have been done, that the Caps had somebody else in mind? If not, the 2nd pick would have still been available at 2:58.