HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hartley, Crawford & Future Coaches

Old
03-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Lemaire hates the Medias.

End thread.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcoolique View Post
Ehhh, actually Sutter uses an aggressive forechecking system. ?

Wonder why Julien got fired ? The Devils already played the trap, and he made it even more a passive system..

No wonder why this season the Devils are top-10 for scoring goals.
Julien is a better coach today because he had to go through the gauntlet that is the Habs. Any coaches that goes through Montreal and doesn't lose his mind will do just fine anywhere else after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I'm sorry you are so right,I forget Lemaire and his Wild right now are in 9th place (out of the playoffs) and also what did he win again in Minessota since he's been there?I thought so.....
Uh, have you seen Minnesota's roster since Lemaire joined them? They have no business ever making the playoffs with that team. Their only great forward is Gaborik who's consistantly hurt. Mikko is only coming into his own this year. What else do they have? Veilleux? Its real easy to say "He didn't win the cup, he sucks!" isn't it?

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-14-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
So you want to take the best coach in the NHL and then not let him coach? I'm sure he can do other things well but its like getting your hands on a young Bowman and making him be the head scout... Or getting Gretzky and then making him retire early so he can coach... I'm sure there are other guys who can do the role that you speak of but if we get our hands on Lemaire, he's coaching.
Lemaire hasn't been the best coach in the NHL in a while.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcoolique View Post
Ehhh, actually Sutter uses an aggressive forechecking system. ?

Wonder why Julien got fired ? The Devils already played the trap, and he made it even more a passive system..
Sutter won World championships by playing a tight traping system even when he had stars. If you want a strong forechecking style go with Keenan and the Flames, that's what they're using. I happen to think a strong traping system is stronger to play against than a forechecking style.

Quote:
No wonder why this season the Devils are top-10 for scoring goals.
The best trapping teams are usualy the one that score more goals because the trap cause mistakes for other teams and it creats countless counter-strike and breakaways. The trap is a machine of at creating scoring chances. The Habs teams that won cups in 86 and later on in 93 were amongst the top scoring teams also. The same with the Devils since 95.

Old
03-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Sutter won World championships by playing a tight traping system even when he had stars. If you want a strong forechecking style go with Keenan and the Flames, that's what they're using. I happen to think a strong traping system is stronger to play against than a forechecking style.

The best trapping teams are usualy the one that score more goals because the trap cause mistakes for other teams and it creats countless counter-strike and breakaways. The trap is a machine of at creating scoring chances. The Habs teams that won cups in 86 and later on in 93 were amongst the top scoring teams also. The same with the Devils since 95.
Exactly.... I don't think people realize how good the trap is at creating opportunities. A skilled team playing the trap to perfection will score a lot of goals.

I think many people don't understand the trap cause it works so well for non-skilled teams. A non-skill team can use the trap to stay in gaes and play a lot of 2-1 and 3-2 games cause they don't have the snipers to bury their chances. A fast team with finishing ability could use the trap to score a lot of goals on the counter attack.

I always laugh when i hear people say Gaborik would score more goals away from the trap. NO.. he'd score more goals if they had more offensive playerst to compliment him... but as it is the trap plays to his strengths which is his ability to use his speed to counterattack. Gaborik has never really had a centre to compliment his game. Mikko Koivu does now, but he's finally broken out the last 1 1/2 years... in that time Gaborik has been hurt.

I think Plekanec, Higgins, both Kostitsyns, Lappierre, Dagostini, Pacioretty would thrive under a trap system.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacioretty67 View Post
Exactly.... I don't think people realize how good the trap is at creating opportunities. A skilled team playing the trap to perfection will score a lot of goals.

I think many people don't understand the trap cause it works so well for non-skilled teams. A non-skill team can use the trap to stay in gaes and play a lot of 2-1 and 3-2 games cause they don't have the snipers to bury their chances. A fast team with finishing ability could use the trap to score a lot of goals on the counter attack.

I always laugh when i hear people say Gaborik would score more goals away from the trap. NO.. he'd score more goals if they had more offensive playerst to compliment him... but as it is the trap plays to his strengths which is his ability to use his speed to counterattack. Gaborik has never really had a centre to compliment his game. Mikko Koivu does now, but he's finally broken out the last 1 1/2 years... in that time Gaborik has been hurt.

I think Plekanec, Higgins, both Kostitsyns, Lappierre, Dagostini, Pacioretty would thrive under a trap system.
And wasn't this what the Habs were doing last year? The Habs were one of the teams that were the hardest to play against when they had the lead. The counteraatacks lead by Plekanec usualy turned deadly and the other teams didn't know how to handle it.

Old
03-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
And wasn't this what the Habs were doing last year? The Habs were one of the teams that were the hardest to play against when they had the lead. The counteraatacks lead by Plekanec usualy turned deadly and the other teams didn't know how to handle it.
To some extent yes... but we didn't really even play it that well last year.... we were an average team 5 on 5 last year finishing pretty close to even in GF and GA at even strength. The leagues number 1 PP was a huge reason we finished #2 in GF to Ottawa by only 1 goal.

That said, our defensive game was much better last year... our breakout and transition much crisper.

The one thing i've seen all year this year is the attempt at the home run pass... our forwards are often times too far away from the defence. The long pass is either a little inaccurate, or tooo tough for our forwards to handle or intercepted by the other team. This leads to neutral zone turnovers and the other team counterattacking us. What we need is shorter qucker pass breakout which we used last year so that we can control the puck better.

Old
03-17-2009, 06:55 AM
TomWaitsCanKillJesus

Marc Crawford ?? A good choice ??

A posted it yesterday but i want your opinion on this rumour

My girlfriend told me yesterday that her friend is a childhood friend of Marc Crawford.
He called him to tell him that he will be back this summer in Montreal.

He didn't sign anything but he got a conversation with Pierre Boivin

So what do you think??

Marc as a new coach?? New GM ?? Good idea ??

If a remember correctly his system was good right??

TomWaitsCanKillJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 07:18 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Lucic must pay?

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 07:25 AM
centrehice

didn't you already make a post like this yesterday? Where did that go?

And if I remember correctly your him and her's were all mixed up in that one too...

centrehice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 07:35 AM
TomWaitsCanKillJesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by centrehice View Post
didn't you already make a post like this yesterday? Where did that go?

And if I remember correctly your him and her's were all mixed up in that one too...
sorry im not perfect in english

TomWaitsCanKillJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
Lucic must pay?
ESPN2?

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 08:04 AM
GoldenForum

Lever deserves a shot

With all the talk about the need for a coach who speaks French, bottom line is that Don Lever deserves a chance to coach Habs (starting next season). He has been around for an awfully long time and has done a beautiful job in Hamilton. While anglophones should not be so quick to dismiss the importance of a coach who speaks French, rational-minded members of the French media have been quick to point out Lever's genuine qualifications. The trend in the NHL is definitely to promote AHL coaches and we have a possible gem in Lever. Several people (ie. Pat Burns) have already sung Lever's praise, but all I really needed to hear was that Scotty Bowman himself had recommended Lever to Gainey 4 years ago to coach the Bulldogs and states that Lever's an excellent teacher and level-minded (not too-high, not too-low) kind of coach. Montreal needs that kind of stability.

Are Bob Hartley and Marc Crawford good coaches-- yes. But they are both the kind of coaches who rub their players the wrong way 2-4 years down the road. Perhaps in Lever we finally end the revolving coaching door for a while and bring a little Lindy Ruff stability to Montreal (I shutter to think about the circus Montreal would further become if Patrick Roy-- who is not nearly as qualified as Lever-- became Habs next coach). Maybe Lever doesn't pan out, but he most certainly deserves a shot and he seems like the best fit on so many levels.

Now go take some French classes this summer...a la Crawford.

GoldenForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 08:22 AM
saints96

go lever go!!

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 08:24 AM
habfan1968

vCash: 50
I like the idea of Lever as well. The majority of the players next season would have played for him already so the game will be easier to coach and play. Coach knows what to expect from players and players know what to expect from coach.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Pascal

Lever is my first choice. Crawford is an ok one to me. some people think he's a bad coach though (as seen below )

in the end i think none of us really know who the good ones and bad ones are since we aren't in the locker room.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Beakermania*

I never wanna see Crawford coaching this team.

I really don't think he's that good a coach.

Any guy who would leave the greatest goal scorer of all time on the bench for the shootout in Nagano.... DUMBEST HOCKEY DECISION OF ALL TIME.

A guy who kept putting Dan Cloutier out there in Vancouver and then told his GM in LA to trade for him.... yeah thats retarded.

Old
03-17-2009, 10:45 AM
HotHabsFan*

Anyone but Hartley...actually my first pick would be Ted Nolan!

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I would go with Hartley. Time to try something else and coaches with no NHL experience, we've been there already. Keep Lever as an assistant if you like, he'd do a fine job.

'Cause if I had to choose a coach, that was a coach but has no NHL experience, my first pick would be Dany Dubé. Ahead of Lever.

I don't want Crawford.

Or we go with Patrick Roy as the GM.....and Mario Tremblay as the coach.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 12:25 PM
CanadienErrant*

My choice would be Clément Jodoin who is coaching Rimouski right now, and has been in Lewiston and halifax for few years before. he brought Lewiston to the memorial Cup, and Rimouski has lost only one of their last 22 games or so...

He has also been an assistant (if not head coach) with The National Junior Team, and has been an assistant at NHL level with Pittsburg, Quebec and Montreal.

The guy is a great technician and communicator. He is perfectly bilingual on top of that.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 01:58 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Ted *** Nolan.

Most under-rated coach in the NHL.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote