HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NYI - PIT proposal

Old
03-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Alex28*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Having Crosby doesn't make Malkin expendable and vice versa.
In Pittsburgh's case he's certainly less vital than he'd be for any other team, especially with Staal there. Of course he's not just "expendable". I don't propose trading him for scraps.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 93
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
In Pittsburgh's case he's certainly less vital than he'd be for any other team, especially with Staal there. Of course he's not just "expendable". I don't propose trading him for scraps.
"Less vital" not really, other teams would use him the exactly the same way. If you follow the Pens through last season and this season he has basically been the definition of vital. I constantly see Staal get mentioned as a reason why the Pens could/should move Malkin but then turn around and constantly see him being labelled as overrated. I wouldn't be happy with Staal being our second line center right now tbh.

Morozov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 07:27 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Not a chance I'd consider doing that.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Everybody knows you can only have one star per team.
Unfortunately I have seen on numerous occasions people trying to justify Malkin proposals by suggesting it is good for the league for Malkin and Sid to be split up lol.

Old
03-17-2009, 07:29 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Isles would probably consider including the 2010 1st if they can keep San Jose's 1st. No way they would include Okposo though.
yeah why would you include Okposo. Your only getting Malkin.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 07:44 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
"Less vital" not really, other teams would use him the exactly the same way. If you follow the Pens through last season and this season he has basically been the definition of vital. I constantly see Staal get mentioned as a reason why the Pens could/should move Malkin but then turn around and constantly see him being labelled as overrated. I wouldn't be happy with Staal being our second line center right now tbh.
Well, on all other teams he'd be the unquestionable 1st line center. So far Pens haven't stumbled without Crosby, odds are they won't severely drop without Malkin. Obviously Crosby and Malkin each do a lion's share of the work, but I don't see them falling apart without either.

Staal seems like the kind of guy who'd actually make a good 2nd line center given the right linemates and coaching style. He was absolutely dynamite with Kunitz early on.

I personally don't think Pens should trade either, but it's interesting to gauge relative value. If the right offer or overpayment comes for Staal though, they should take it if it can get them a young top 6 winger - top 3.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 07:44 PM
A1DRIVER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Probably want to add Okposo and a 2010 1st in there as well. Best players in the league don't grow on trees after all.
The best player in the league is in Washington and goes by the name of Ovechkin.

A1DRIVER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 07:46 PM
boredmale

Can't see Pittsburgh making this deal. If they are going to dump a Center it will be Staal(and they have 4 years to make the choice).

As an Islanders fan I would do it in a heartbeat. Tavares/Hedman might be superstars but Malkin already is

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
Well, on all other teams he'd be the unquestionable 1st line center. So far Pens haven't stumbled without Crosby, odds are they won't severely drop without Malkin. Obviously Crosby and Malkin each do a lion's share of the work, but I don't see them falling apart without either.

Staal seems like the kind of guy who'd actually make a good 2nd line center given the right linemates and coaching style. He was absolutely dynamite with Kunitz early on.

I personally don't think Pens should trade either, but it's interesting to gauge relative value. If the right offer or overpayment comes for Staal though, they should take it if it can get them a young top 6 winger - top 3.
On all other teams he'd be the unquestionable 1 center for sure but he likely would be getting used and contributing all the same as he does with the Pens. Sure he could mean more to lesser teams but that is true of almost any high level player in the league coming from a stronger team.

Old
03-17-2009, 08:06 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
Not a chance I'd consider doing that.
Not to worry. Shero wouldn't either, not in a million years. With or without Okposo included.

Not directed toward you, but do people actually watch this sport?

Likely Art Ross Trophy winner, just into his 20s, one-half of the best 1-2 center duo since Sakic/Forsberg, helped get a team to the SCF at age 20, and helping lead them again....

....For the latest Draft Flavor of the Year, yet to place skate on NHL ice?

Humor me some more.

Some here are EPIC at deconstructing successful teams...years before their time!

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 08:22 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Not to worry. Shero wouldn't either, not in a million years. With or without Okposo included.

Not directed toward you, but do people actually watch this sport?

Likely Art Ross Trophy winner, just into his 20s, one-half of the best 1-2 center duo since Sakic/Forsberg, helped get a team to the SCF at age 20, and helping lead them again....

....For the latest Draft Flavor of the Year, yet to place skate on NHL ice?

Humor me some more.

Some here are EPIC at deconstructing successful teams...years before their time!
I'm not disputing Malkin is good. It's simply not the right move for either team, and either would be stupid to do it.

Old
03-17-2009, 08:25 PM
marc-edouard grier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
I'm not disputing Malkin is good. It's simply not the right move for either team, and either would be stupid to do it.
Getting a definite top-5 F in the league is a bad idea? One who's in his early 20's to boot? For a poor 1st rounder, a #1 pick who you would hope gets to Malkins level, and a good 1st-line dman? I mean, If I'm Garth Snow, I bring in Malkin in a heartbeat.

Point is, the other guys can be replace. A Malkin-type is quite nearly impossible to replace. You get him, you're not in a rebuild, you're a playoff team for next year, so long as the rest of Garth's off-season moves are logical.

marc-edouard grier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 08:26 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc-edouard grier View Post
Getting a definite top-5 F in the league is a bad idea? One who's in his early 20's to boot? For a poor 1st rounder, a #1 pick who you would hope gets to Malkins level, and a good 1st-line dman? I mean, If I'm Garth Snow, I bring in Malkin in a heartbeat.
I was talking more about the people who suggested adding Okposo+ to it also.

Old
03-17-2009, 08:31 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1DRIVER View Post
The best player in the league is in Washington and goes by the name of Ovechkin.
Jeezus, are you just going around to all of the Penguin trade threads and whine about our players?

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 08:59 PM
VHC

Send a message via AIM to VHC
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc-edouard grier View Post

Point is, the other guys can be replace. A Malkin-type is quite nearly impossible to replace. You get him, you're not in a rebuild, you're a playoff team for next year, so long as the rest of Garth's off-season moves are logical.

I don't care how good he is. I wouldn't do it for Gretzky either.

The Isles are building their own team, we probably won't have an elite player for a while but I like the identity we have and the direction. This is no slight to Malkin, he's world class, but this proposal is ridiculous and I am glad it would never, ever happen.

The Islanders have such a history of trading for top talent and saying goodbye to great players. Malkin is above the level of those other trades of course, but still, I am sick of it. We are building a good team here, we are not throwing out every step of progress for one guy.

VHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHC View Post
I don't care how good he is. I wouldn't do it for Gretzky either.

The Isles are building their own team, we probably won't have an elite player for a while but I like the identity we have and the direction. This is no slight to Malkin, he's world class, but this proposal is ridiculous and I am glad it would never, ever happen.

The Islanders have such a history of trading for top talent and saying goodbye to great players. Malkin is above the level of those other trades of course, but still, I am sick of it. We are building a good team here, we are not throwing out every step of progress for one guy.
That about says it all right there, folks.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:15 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
That about says it all right there, folks.
Yup. /thread, we're done here.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:56 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
yeah why would you include Okposo. Your only getting Malkin.
My God... You're right. We might as well throw in DiPietro and our next 15 first round picks. I mean after all, we're getting Malkin.

In all seriousness, I understand the guy is a great player, but do you honestly think it would be a smart decision for the Isles to add Okposo and their 2010 1st rounder to the original proposal? The Isles would guarantee themselves a spot around 15th in the league for the next decade. A team full of scrubs with DP and Malkin to keep them bad enough from making the playoffs but good enough from being able to draft an impact player. I honestly don't even know if I would do the original proposal, which I said in the post, but including Okposo would be unbelievabely stupid.

And yes, I still think the value is close. I understand the concept of Pitt fans not wanting to deal Malkin unless getting a package of '09 1st, '10 1st, SJS '09 1st, Streit and Okposo. However that doesn't mean that's what he's actually worth.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 10:39 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
And yes, I still think the value is close. I understand the concept of Pitt fans not wanting to deal Malkin unless getting a package of '09 1st, '10 1st, SJS '09 1st, Streit and Okposo. However that doesn't mean that's what he's actually worth.
Without doubt, if the Isles get JT you will be declaring his value similar to the above if he starts realizing his potential in the NHL, especially since you think JT before even putting a skate on the ice is worthy of being the key component in a trade for the leagues leading scorer.

Old
03-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Tyler Myers

both team keeps their players/picks

Tyler Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 11:17 PM
LGP8771

And this thread is why HFBoards has the rep that it has...

LGP8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 01:51 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Without doubt, if the Isles get JT you will be declaring his value similar to the above if he starts realizing his potential in the NHL, especially since you think JT before even putting a skate on the ice is worthy of being the key component in a trade for the leagues leading scorer.
He isn't worthy of being a key trade component? I'd like to think that this offseason the 1st overall pick in this draft will be one of the most valuable assets in the NHL. Although maybe you are right and GM's will back off since he's "never put a skate on the ice."

Old
03-18-2009, 01:54 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGP8771 View Post
And this thread is why HFBoards has the rep that it has...
My bad dude. Didn't mean to hurt HF's rep.

Old
03-18-2009, 01:55 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
He isn't worthy of being a key trade component? I'd like to think that this offseason the 1st overall pick in this draft will be one of the most valuable assets in the NHL. Although maybe you are right and GM's will back off since he's "never put a skate on the ice."
He isn't worthy of being a key trade component for the likely Art Ross winner who is only 22 years old no. Of course you left how how I said " being the key component in a trade for the leagues leading scorer." so next time if you bother responding please don't attempt to twist what I said to try prove your point

Old
03-18-2009, 01:58 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
He isn't worthy of being a key trade component for the likely Art Ross winner who is only 22 years old no.
So who is worthy? Jesus Christ himself? You are being ridiculous. I can understand if you came out and said you would not trade Malkin for any offer, but to basically imply that there is an offer out there that you would accept and JT isn't worthy of being a key part of it just doesn't make sense to me.

Give me an example of a player worthy enough to be a key component of a package for Malkin.