HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Price ........

Old
03-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
the goaltending is adequate if the team plays better.
Too small, not an elite conditioned team, weak. Can't change that in the next couple weeks so the prognosis is not good.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habsfan1215

Quote:
Originally Posted by transitguy View Post
NHL shooters going against a minor league goalie. You get what you get.

Minor league goalies don't let 3 goals on 42 shots

Habsfan1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
odishabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Correction - the only reason they got to the shootout was Lundqvist.
NO it should have been about 5-6 to 3 either way carey saved a ppoint for us...i couldnt give a **** if we lost in the shootout and carey let in 3....,it was the 40 saves that got us their....this is getting pathetic

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:41 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Just like Halaks amazing two softies that killed Montreal last game right.

The *****ing and moaning about goaltending just masks whats wrong with the habs. Easy answers for idiots.
Agreed. Price was god-awful in the shootout, but the team was just as awful in the 3rd and was lucky to get to overtime.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
NO it should have been about 5-6 to 3 either way carey saved a ppoint for us...i couldnt give a **** if we lost in the shootout and carey let in 3....,it was the 40 saves that got us their....this is getting pathetic
Lundqvist was weak. He handed the Habs a point. Even in the shootout he tried to give a second point. A sharp goalie beats the Habs in regulation tonight.

Old
03-17-2009, 09:42 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
LOL u need to calm the **** down and remember some shootouts where carey was brilliant, ..jesus christ
Yeah whats his success rate in the SO again this year? Something like 17 saves out of 30. He deserves a medal for that!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Yeah whats his success rate in the SO again this year? Something like 17 saves out of 30. He deserves a medal for that!
Don't blame the kid... he's only doing what he's taught to do...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:48 PM
transitguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post
74 posts in 3 years on the boards and I'm guessing the majority of them were bashing the habs, why is it all the hate comes from the same clowns again and again? are you even a Habs fan?
To answer your question, yes I have been a Habs fan for 50 years and I am willing to bet have seen way more games than you have. I am not bashing the Habs. All I am saying is the kid is struggling big time and probably needs some time in the AHL to get some confidence back. He lets in a weak goal every game. That second goal by the Rangers would have been stopped by a tier 3 bantam goalie. Oh, and you shouldn't put so much emphasis on the 74 posts as a big thing as to whether your a Hab fan or not. I certainly am not in the same league like your 1800+. All your posts, and I am impressed (you must be the ultimate Habs fan with that many) mean 1. you either like to read what you post, pat yourself or the back and say gosh I am good) or 2. you have nothing better to do with your life.

transitguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:53 PM
MTL-rules

Dillusionnal habs fans again, who will always protect Price and overrate him.

I don't mind him at all, I still think he has good potential, but he was obviously rushed... but what really kills me is that we have another fantastic young goalie that sits there and doesn't get a real chance (and gets bash by the Price lovers) to prove he can become OUR no1 goalie.

Right now, let the best goalie play. I don't care if Price is the backup and I don't understand what would be the problem with that? He could learn and grow has the backup for now, why does he absolutely have to be the no1 guy... right now, this situation is bad for the team and for him...

Halak all the way! Why not, he's a terrific goalie...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
the Only Reason The Habs Got To The Shootout Is Bc Of Price!!! Stop Bashing We Should Have Lost This Game Bout 5-3 In Regulation.
I think Carey Price is Bob Gainey's golden childen and has had the starting position handed to him even when it wasn't deserved... but, even I have to agree with this statement.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lucius

So, Price has a very good game, the team gets completely outshot AGAIN and clearly the goalie is the issue.

Sure, he wasn't good in the shootout, but if this team would play a complete game, he wouldn't have to be.

When there are 40+ shots against, you have no business winning in the NHL.

Joel Bouchard said something illuminating before the game. He said, he did just want the Habs to win, he wanted them to dominate. To have a convincing win for once.

When exactly is the last time the goalie had no margin for error in a Habs game?

Until the Habs forwards learn to backcheck and cover the boards and the defense learn to make tape to tape passes, this team is going nowhere.

If you want to see the problem, look no further than the wingers up at centre receiving passes at a standstill because they're so far a head of the play.

Other than the 1st period of Gainey's first game as coach, I am not sure I remember a clean breakout all year.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LeMAD

Quote:
To answer your question, yes I have been a Habs fan for 50 years and I am willing to bet have seen way more games than you have. I am not bashing the Habs. All I am saying is the kid is struggling big time and probably needs some time in the AHL to get some confidence back. He lets in a weak goal every game. That second goal by the Rangers would have been stopped by a tier 3 bantam goalie. Oh, and you shouldn't put so much emphasis on the 74 posts as a big thing as to whether your a Hab fan or not. I certainly am not in the same league like your 1800+. All your posts, and I am impressed (you must be the ultimate Habs fan with that many) mean 1. you either like to read what you post, pat yourself or the back and say gosh I am good) or 2. you have nothing better to do with your life.
Price is better than most #1 goalies in the league, doesn't need time in the AHL at all (besides he's playing great right now), but he's too young to be a clear #1 goaltender. What he needs is a veteran to share his workload.

Clearly you haven't watched enough games in your life if you think that Price should be in the AHL (which he can't because he would have to go through waivers). You have to realise that all goaltenders, including Brodeur, Luongo, Kiprussof and Lundqvist go through bad streaks from time to time.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:56 PM
transitguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan1215 View Post
Don't let the total shots cloud your judgment. Minor league goalies give up big fat juicy rebounds like goal 1, let in soft goals like goal 2 and then look like a pylon against NHL shooters in the shootout.

Old
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
I think Carey Price is Bob Gainey's golden childen and has had the starting position handed to him even when it wasn't deserved... but, even I have to agree with this statement.
It was deserved, he certainly has the talent to be a good #1 right now, but it wasn't a good idea because he's still too young.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan1215 View Post
Out of those 42 shots, maybe 5 were dangerous...

Price was excellent in the first, bad in the 2nd and awfull in the 3rd... and I'm running out of superlatives to express how bad he was in SO

Old
03-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Out of those 42 shots, maybe 5 were dangerous...

Price was excellent in the first, bad in the 2nd and awfull in the 3rd... and I'm running out of superlatives to express how bad he was in SO
That's absurd.

The Antropov goal, maybe you could fault him for rebound control, but I'd fault the four guys on the ice for running around like chickens with their heads cut off chasing the puck... and Brisebois with his patened "own blueline pinch."

So how exactly was he bad in the 2nd?

Maybe my perspective is different, I admit I did not see the Zherdev goal, I had left the room for a moment. But the third one was again blown coverage and a point blank shot through a screen. Those goals go in, be it Price, Tier II Bantam Goalie or Brodeur.

The shootout was not good, but it's a crapshoot anyway. And we had no business being in one.

Old
03-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
It was deserved, he certainly has the talent to be a good #1 right now, but it wasn't a good idea because he's still too young.
Why thanks, I didn't realize my opinion was wrong

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 10:04 PM
DeVries*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post
Could Price stop a beach ball bouncedtoward his net from centre ice during a shoot out?

Apparently, he does not get the fact that backing into the goal and going down works in favor of the shooter!
I noticed too. Price did nice center passes to opponents with crappy rebounds.

Jim Carey evil curse is on us.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
So, Price has a very good game, the team gets completely outshot AGAIN and clearly the goalie is the issue.

Sure, he wasn't good in the shootout, but if this team would play a complete game, he wouldn't have to be.

When there are 40+ shots against, you have no business winning in the NHL.

Joel Bouchard said something illuminating before the game. He said, he did just want the Habs to win, he wanted them to dominate. To have a convincing win for once.

When exactly is the last time the goalie had no margin for error in a Habs game?

Until the Habs forwards learn to backcheck and cover the boards and the defense learn to make tape to tape passes, this team is going nowhere.

If you want to see the problem, look no further than the wingers up at centre receiving passes at a standstill because they're so far a head of the play.

Other than the 1st period of Gainey's first game as coach, I am not sure I remember a clean breakout all year.
Too many problems to pin this on Price. The team is weak physically. Can't play physical or keep up with a better team for 60 minutes, hence the shot totals.

But I will say this to the Price fans. The first and third goals were on juicy rebounds, the shootout was weak. Let's not pin the game on Price, but just keep that in mind when you're talking about Halak's inferior rebound control and Price's legendary prowess in these areas. Fair is fair.

Old
transitguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Price is better than most #1 goalies in the league, doesn't need time in the AHL at all (besides he's playing great right now), but he's too young to be a clear #1 goaltender. What he needs is a veteran to share his workload.

Clearly you haven't watched enough games in your life if you think that Price should be in the AHL (which he can't because he would have to go through waivers). You have to realise that all goaltenders, including Brodeur, Luongo, Kiprussof and Lundqvist go through bad streaks from time to time.
Another guy with thousands of posts that know's everything. As stated in my post I am willing to say I have watched more games than you. I wasn't aware of the technicalities of him having to clear waivers. Thanks for clearing this up for me, much appreciated. He is a good goalie and he has the potential to be an even better goalie but he just does not have the confidence to get it done right now. I don't agree with your assessment he is playing great right now. He gives up a soft goal every game, tonight included.

Old
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
That's absurd.

The Antropov goal, maybe you could fault him for rebound control, but I'd fault the four guys on the ice for running around like chickens with their heads cut off chasing the puck... and Brisebois with his patened "own blueline pinch."

So how exactly was he bad in the 2nd?

Maybe my perspective is different, I admit I did not see the Zherdev goal, I had left the room for a moment. But the third one was again blown coverage and a point blank shot through a screen. Those goals go in, be it Price, Tier II Bantam Goalie or Brodeur.

The shootout was not good, but it's a crapshoot anyway. And we had no business being in one.
Why aren't you using the same comments to criticize Price as you would Halak?

Tonight, Price was having a really hard time with his rebound control, was really deep in his net and made every save look difficult... how does that put confidence in the guys in front of you?

Yes, the habs sucks in their zone, it's obvious, but the RAgs don't get their noses dirty, all the shots were from the perimeter, they were hardly good ones and still Price had trouble with them.

But still, I repeat my question, why is it so difficult for you to let Halak be the no1 and Price refine his game slowly? Espacially now that Halak is a lot more confident and better technically...

Last edited by MTL-rules: 03-17-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old
03-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
I thinks you fails.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Newhabfan

It's interesting that at yesterday's practice Roland Melancon was not part of it he was watching it from the bench - apparently this almost never happened before.

People on CKAC (yea, I know they suck) were questioning Melancon's future with the Habs.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Why aren't you using the same comments to criticize Price as you would Halak?

Tonight, Price was having a really hard time with his rebound control, was really deep in his net and made every save look difficult... how does that put confidence in the guys in front of you?

Yes, the habs sucks in their zone, it's obvious, but the RAgs don't get their noses dirty, all the shots were from the peripheric, they were hardly good ones and still Price had trouble with them.

But still, I repeat my question, why is it so difficult for you to let Halak be the no1 and Price refine his game slowly? Espacially now that Halak is a lot more confident and better technically...
Ummm - Did I even mention Halak? Unlike too many on this board, I do not feel you have to hate one or the other.

I was commenting on tonight's game. Price did fine.

Halak had a good run a few weeks ago, then got nailed with the flu. Tough break, but it happens.

If you want to know, yes, he won us a few games we had no business winning. Frankly, this team has not had business winning games in a month and a half. They've been horrific (the skaters) and that combined with a Price slump threw some of you off the deep end.

Now Price and Halak are both playing well and suddenly we all have to pick sides.

Halak had a good streak, but I don't believe you jettison your deserved (if you think Halak has done more before this last 1.5 months to be the starting goalie in Montreal, you're deluded) starting goalie based on a slump and a hot streak.

My point is that the skaters need to get their act together and fast or it won't matter who is in net.

Old
03-17-2009, 10:11 PM
zx81

He is not reason why they lost but he wasn't good either.

And people should stop mentioning the number of saves.
Those are just numbers.

Fact is the Rangers were shooting from anywhere in the third when they noticed that Price was shaky.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote