HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr's Omsk Avangard huge playoff upset

Old
03-16-2009, 04:00 PM
bcrt2000

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
He said he'd play for the minimum for Mario because of what Mario did for his career. He said nothing of the sort about doing so for the Rangers.
There was another article/interview that came out a few days later that mentioned he said it about both the Rangers and Penguins. Maybe it was a misquote.

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 04:12 PM
czechmate25

Now that Avangard's season is over, I expect to hear an annoucement very soon about Jagr joining the Oilers next season.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 04:17 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
Now that Avangard's season is over, I expect to hear an annoucement very soon about Jagr joining the Oilers next season.
I don't. I don't think anything's coming "very soon".

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 04:22 PM
WeezyHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
I refuse to celebrate an organization that clearly had a hand in Cherepanov's death. Jags or not.
Are you serious right now?

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyHabFan View Post
Are you serious right now with that avatar, lol?

Anyway, Jagr is not coming to New York. I wouldn't be surprised if he does end up back in the NHL, though.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 04:32 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrt2000 View Post
Jagr did seem to enjoy playing with Dubi and Avery so its possible if he is able to negotiate out of his obligation to Omsk for next season. Obviously it is less likely now that Renney is gone though. If he is serious about taking minimum salary I think both Slats and Shero would have to think long and hard about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
In one sense I would think Torts and Jagr might clash personality wise..

But than again Torts does:

1. Like to lean on his best player/players giving them lots of ice time

2. Prefers a more wide open offensive attack.

Two things JJ likes very much

I say forget about. He's not going to come back to a team that's even a longer shot to win the cup then the one he was on, and especially for a discount. He was also probably good friends with Straka who is now gone. The only Czech we have left is Rozsival, and it's not even a given he returns next season. Jagr just won't fit in anymore

The way I see it is: He signs cheap in Pittsburgh to play with Crosby or Malkin and to make "amends" for some of tensions created during his last year there. Think about it... even if he doesn't win a cup all those idiots that were booing him in Pittsburgh would instantaneously have a change of heart and he'll retire with the fans back on his side again. Not to mention he'll probably get his number retired.

He could also sign with the Oilers, but it probably won't be for cheap. The Oilers have the cap space to pay him and he's not going turn money down. They'll probably be a playoff team next year, and him and Hemsky will mesh very well

He won't sign in NY. I can gaurantee you that.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 05:59 PM
czechmate25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I say forget about. He's not going to come back to a team that's even a longer shot to win the cup then the one he was on, and especially for a discount. He was also probably good friends with Straka who is now gone. The only Czech we have left is Rozsival, and it's not even a given he returns next season. Jagr just won't fit in anymore

The way I see it is: He signs cheap in Pittsburgh to play with Crosby or Malkin and to make "amends" for some of tensions created during his last year there. Think about it... even if he doesn't win a cup all those idiots that were booing him in Pittsburgh would instantaneously have a change of heart and he'll retire with the fans back on his side again. Not to mention he'll probably get his number retired.

He could also sign with the Oilers, but it probably won't be for cheap. The Oilers have the cap space to pay him and he's not going turn money down. They'll probably be a playoff team next year, and him and Hemsky will mesh very well

He won't sign in NY. I can gaurantee you that.

I think you're right on with those two scenerios. If/when Jags comes back to the NHL, it will either be with Edmonton or Pittsburgh.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 01:42 AM
NHLsnipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyHabFan View Post
This might be the worst avatar ever......

JJ will be back next year lighting it up with Hemsky most likely and well have a ton of "why did we not sign him" threads.

NHLsnipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 02:23 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
He said he'd play for the minimum for Mario because of what Mario did for his career. He said nothing of the sort about doing so for the Rangers.
1st PP unit.
Malkin-Crosby-Jagr

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 03:46 AM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
1st PP unit.
Malkin-Crosby-Jagr
I don't care how old Jagr is, it will be absolutely devastating to see Crosby feeding Jagr for one timers on the power play.

I was watching replays of a lot of his goals from that record-breaking season for the Rangers and it's ridiculous how many of them he scored just by blasting one timers on the PP.

Last edited by Banks3rdLineCenter: 03-17-2009 at 04:00 AM.
Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 06:22 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
I don't care how old Jagr is, it will be absolutely devastating to see Crosby feeding Jagr for one timers on the power play.

I was watching replays of a lot of his goals from that record-breaking season for the Rangers and it's ridiculous how many of them he scored just by blasting one timers on the PP.
I don't care much about Pens fans, but I kind of feel sorry for them too. Thoose blocked or fumbled shots gets very very booring in the long run...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 07:28 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post

That Jagr is gone. His shot was not even half as effective his last two years here.

He would still be one of the better vets in the league, but those 100 point seasons are a thing of the past imo.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 08:40 AM
n_a_c

My golly, Jagr with Crosby & Malkin would be amazing to watch. I agree that on most teams he probably wouldn't get 100 points, but with Pitts - I'd wager he would.

It would be nice to see him back in the NHL, and even thought it would make Pittsburgh all the more lethal - I hope he signs there so I can watch him multiple games

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 02:39 AM
Madik77

According to Marian Jelinek (personal coach and friend of JJ) Jagr will stay in Omsk also for the next season...and the talks about JJ coming to Oilers before the trade deadline were true (if Omsk did not make PO).

Sorry I dont have more time to translate the whole article but here is the link:

http://hokej.idnes.cz/nhl-ne-jagr-zu...923_evropa_cig

Madik77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 03:36 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madik77 View Post
According to Marian Jelinek (personal coach and friend of JJ) Jagr will stay in Omsk also for the next season...and the talks about JJ coming to Oilers before the trade deadline were true (if Omsk did not make PO).

Sorry I dont have more time to translate the whole article but here is the link:

http://hokej.idnes.cz/nhl-ne-jagr-zu...923_evropa_cig
It isint exactly jagr's choice to stay or not ,if they dont have the money to pay him than he gets cut ,no?

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 04:12 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
It isint exactly jagr's choice to stay or not ,if they dont have the money to pay him than he gets cut ,no?
Pacta sunt servanda...

...but if Omsk told JJ that they wouldn't afford to bring in any new players, not renew contracts et c or even go bankrupt if JJ stayed I guess he would walk.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 04:15 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Pacta sunt servanda...

...but if Omsk told JJ that they wouldn't afford to bring in any new players, not renew contracts et c or even go bankrupt if JJ stayed I guess he would walk.
pacta who whada?
JJ come home
Though i rather choose edmonton over sheetsburgh so i dont have to see jagr mentor a whiny little biznoitch like crosby.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:40 AM
dynamoovechkin

What a heartbreaker for Avangard, in a season of heartbreaks. Deciding game 5 on the road, against a great offensive team after just being humbled 11-1 in your own building. Jagr with a goal and an assist, Omsk up 2-1 with 20 seconds left.

Omsk ices the puck, foolishly. Faceoff in the Omsk zone with 16 seconds left. Hang on for 16 seconds and you just knocked off the #2 seed after a historic upset of the #1 seed. But noooo... they lose the faceoff, puck goes back to the point... the rest as they say is history. 16 seconds from the win in a deciding game! Arg!

Jagr, for his part, does not look like his old self. He still has great hands and a lethal release, but he has lost a step, can't dominate like he once did, rarely scores from above the faceoff circles. Sure, he had some average linemates and Avangard had a mediocre team this season, but trust me, after watching Jagr be a beast in the playoffs last year, and after watching him in every playoff game this year ( I get the Russian channel ), he just isn't the same player anymore.

I much as I loved what the guy gave us, his NHL career is likely over. He is just not the monster he has been in the past, despite a point a game pace in the KHL, I'm sorry to say.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Avy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamoovechkin View Post
What a heartbreaker for Avangard, in a season of heartbreaks. Deciding game 5 on the road, against a great offensive team after just being humbled 11-1 in your own building. Jagr with a goal and an assist, Omsk up 2-1 with 20 seconds left.

Omsk ices the puck, foolishly. Faceoff in the Omsk zone with 16 seconds left. Hang on for 16 seconds and you just knocked off the #2 seed after a historic upset of the #1 seed. But noooo... they lose the faceoff, puck goes back to the point... the rest as they say is history. 16 seconds from the win in a deciding game! Arg!

Jagr, for his part, does not look like his old self. He still has great hands and a lethal release, but he has lost a step, can't dominate like he once did, rarely scores from above the faceoff circles. Sure, he had some average linemates and Avangard had a mediocre team this season, but trust me, after watching Jagr be a beast in the playoffs last year, and after watching him in every playoff game this year ( I get the Russian channel ), he just isn't the same player anymore.

I much as I loved what the guy gave us, his NHL career is likely over. He is just not the monster he has been in the past, despite a point a game pace in the KHL, I'm sorry to say.
Actually he is in better shape this season than he was in NHL. But i expected even before he signed with Omsk that he will have a problems in KHL. KHL surface = much more running around the ice
Jagr played 17 something minutes per night and... its actually big minutes in KHL
22 minutes = big minutes for defender in KHL.

Avy* is offline   Reply With Quote