HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Jack Johnson for Jordan Staal in the offseason

Old
03-18-2009, 10:49 AM
JTG

vCash: 500
Funniest thing has happened. Since this thread was created, Staal has had 12 points, in the last 20.

Crazy how things like that happen eh?

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 10:57 AM
AC Le Rock

IMO, the only way the Penguins move Staal is for a top six winger. That's it. Their defense is one of their strong points. They need more depth on the wings and it's as simple as that.

AC Le Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 11:05 AM
AC Le Rock

So I propose this offseason move...

Staal and a pick to Minny for Bouchard.

Definitely not saying this would happen considering the Wild most likely would not move Bouchard due to his nice contract, but what the hell.

Staal fits into Minny's defensive system very very well and Bouchard's pt totals explode from playing alongside either Crosby or Malkin. Win win IMO.

AC Le Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 11:08 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Le Rock View Post

Definitely not saying this would happen considering the Wild most likely would not move Bouchard due to his nice contract, but what the hell.

Staal fits into Minny's defensive system very very well and Bouchard's pt totals explode from playing alongside either Crosby or Malkin. Win win IMO.
I think the Pens currently assembled are how they should stay. They provide the toughest match-up for opponents when all 3 lines are clicking like they are now.

Their wing situation is no longer a weakness. Guerin, Kunitz, Fedotenko, Sykora, Cooke, Kennedy, with a handful of solid prospects in the farm system, and Satan sitting in WBS.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 11:11 AM
johnniewalker

Staal has 9 points in his last 10 games and appears to finally be breaking out a little bit.

The difference between this past 10 game stretch and the rest of his career is that he is finally putting together a stretch where he is consistent and does what he is capable of doing night in and night out. If he continues to play the way he is playing right now, he will be a 60 point guy next season at a minimum with 30-30.

johnniewalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Homerocks*

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1DRIVER View Post
Staal is an overrated third line player at best.End of story.
I can't tell if some posters are being sarcastic or just plain idiotic.

As a pens fan, I surely hope they hold on to Staal. We're talking about a 6'4" 20 year old who is used in a primarily defensive role, and he has still potted 20 goals and is on pace for 45-50 points.

You put this kid on any team where he is a 1st or 2nd line center who is used more offensively including PP time, and you are guaranteed 50+ point seasons at the minimum. And his upside is unknown.

Homerocks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:

I'm scared stiff that this will be seen as homerism..... but how on earth can Bouchard be worth Staal? And you want a pick as well?
He's a first line winger whose career high in goals is what Staal has right now this season as a 20 year old third line center not getting any meaningful PP time.

Sure, if Staal is moved it will be for a winger or for picks and prospects when the cap goes down, but if its for a winger its not for an undersized pass first guy who scores less than Staal. I think you can bank on that.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
I'm scared stiff that this will be seen as homerism..... but how on earth can Bouchard be worth Staal? And you want a pick as well?
He's a first line winger whose career high in goals is what Staal has right now this season as a 20 year old third line center not getting any meaningful PP time.

Sure, if Staal is moved it will be for a winger or for picks and prospects when the cap goes down, but if its for a winger its not for an undersized pass first guy who scores less than Staal. I think you can bank on that.
I agree. I don't see how this is fair value at all for Staal.

Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 11:26 AM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Funniest thing has happened. Since this thread was created, Staal has had 12 points, in the last 20.

Crazy how things like that happen eh?
That's because he's a poster at HF boards.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Octavian1999

It's always problematic to compare values for players who have yet to achieve their purported potential. Unfortunately, this leads to this type of pointless back and forth between fans of each player's respective team who have a unique insight as to the development of their own prospect/player.

Johnson and Staal are both very nice players who will likely improve their games and gain further respect around the league as well as these boards. It will be interesting to revisit this topic in about a years time. As for now, this thread should be put out of its misery.

Octavian1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 02:27 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocker View Post
I agree. I don't see how this is fair value at all for Staal.
Same reason Kunitz was a fair value for Whitney. A player's value is their value to an individual team, not their average value across all 30 teams (which is what 90 percent of hfboard posters think it is).

Staal on Pens = 50 points, 3rd line center. ~25/25.

Bouchard on Pens = 80 points, top-6 winger ~20-25 goals, 55-60 assists.

You do the math.

However, I'm not sure the Wild would do that. Bouchard has really grown-up as a player this year and is starting to put the team on his shoulders more. He's no longer just the set-up guy, he's proving that he's 1st line material.

That said, the Wild would be better suited to fine Bouchard a sniper to feed. If they do that, Bouchard would instantly jump up 20 points, as he's been playing with 30-40 point linemates all year.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:

Just what the Pens need: a small, soft, pass-first winger.

PASS!

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Kingjordan

Someone close this thread

Kingjordan is offline   Reply With Quote