HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coburn not suspended.

Old
03-17-2009, 01:43 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Ah. Coburn's comments after the game confused me at first. He said that he thought Antropov was going to come at him, so he put his hands up. I can see it in the slo-mo replay; Antropov takes one stride towards Coburn... obviously no intent to engage Braydon, though.

A completely moronic thing to do and he deserved the major, but his comments make sense now.

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 03-17-2009 at 11:48 AM.
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 06:12 AM
BigBanger

vCash: 500
During yesterday's game on NBC, they played an old clip of a game from the '70s, I believe between the Rangers and Flyers.

Though it wasn't the subject of the clip, the camera just happened to catch a battle-axe style slash to a forward on the rush. No one batted an eye.

What I have been saying for years todays game is for pansies, Im glad coburn finally hit something he needs more snarl in his game to be effective otherwise he is big bird on skates.

BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 06:14 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Ah. Coburn's comments after the game confused me at first. He said that he thought Antropov was going to come at him, so he put his hands up. I can see it in the slo-mo replay; Antropov takes one stride towards Coburn... obviously no intent to engage Bryadon, though.

A completely moronic thing to do and he deserved the major, but his comments make sense now.
It's comin' right for us!

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 06:50 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
During yesterday's game on NBC, they played an old clip of a game from the '70s, I believe between the Rangers and Flyers.

Though it wasn't the subject of the clip, the camera just happened to catch a battle-axe style slash to a forward on the rush. No one batted an eye.
That was then, this is now. Players also didn't wear helmets, so what.

Quote:
What I have been saying for years todays game is for pansies.
The league mandating blows the head isn't, IMO, 'pansy'. You can't have players deliberately taking shots at others players heads, even more so when it's away from the play.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 07:16 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Its good to hear. He definately deserved what he got but nothing more.

Its also a bit surprising that a Flyer wasn't suspended.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 07:58 AM
Ychocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Im glad hes not suspended. I personally know that if someone else did that to us, Id want him suspended, and I think Coburn's hit could have gotten him suspended.
Well put. If Redden did that to Gags I'd be pissed.

Pretty silly way of getting back at Antropov. You know it's stupid when both referee's raise their arms at the same time.

Ychocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 08:04 AM
BigBanger

The league mandating blows the head isn't, IMO, 'pansy'. You can't have players deliberately taking shots at others players heads, even more so when it's away from the play.

Yea ya can, its hockey which was and is Violent by nature. Mandating anything opens door to a nazi controlled league ( Bettman)where players who play no longer determine out come of games.( like out of control refs are now doing). Players should police themselves in already established rules that worked for 50 years. look how good mandating everything has done for our society... you cant even make a joke anymore without offending someone.

Old
03-17-2009, 08:13 AM
Opus

Quote:
Yea ya can, its hockey which was and is Violent by nature. Mandating anything opens door to a nazi controlled league ( Bettman)where players who play no longer determine out come of games.( like out of control refs are now doing). Players should police themselves in already established rules that worked for 50 years. look how good mandating everything has done for our society... you cant even make a joke anymore without offending someone.
Violent in the way of high speed contact, yes. Violent in the way of stepping outside the rules, sure it happens...and it's illegal and should be enforced.

You think the game would be less violent if there were no refs, and we let the players 'police' themselves???

Old
03-17-2009, 08:36 AM
BigBanger

Violence on ice is what made hockey great, cheap shots ,hits from behind are seen alot today because there is No repercussions from players. No real Fear of getting yer arse handed to ya. Read what virtually every NHL /AHL/ECHL player have stated give the Game back to the Players to decide. What we have here today is a game with dozens of stoppages constant whistles and little flow. The great games watched today are always the ones when The refs have put away their whistles...

Old
03-17-2009, 08:43 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
i won't say whether or not this is the right call, but it's what i expected. as far as headshots go, this was no big deal.

besides, coburn would need to injure someone before bettman would lift a finger.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Opus

Quote:
Violence on ice is what made hockey great, cheap shots ,hits from behind are seen alot today because there is No repercussions from players. No real Fear of getting yer arse handed to ya. Read what virtually every NHL /AHL/ECHL player have stated give the Game back to the Players to decide. What we have here today is a game with dozens of stoppages constant whistles and little flow. The great games watched today are always the ones when The refs have put away their whistles...
Good, clean hard hitting hockey is what I want to see. Violence, heh. If I want to watch 'violence', I will watch the UFC.

I find most of the penalties are for hooking, interference, tripping...none of which have anything to do with 'violence'. If a player on the opposing team (Perry on Giroux, for an example) does something outside the confines of the rules, then I want a penalty to follow it. I'd much rather see that player be penalized and possibly suspended, than let it go and have Cote/Asham/Carcillo try and seek retribution...but hey that's just me.

If you let the players police themselves and allow them to decide, sooner or later, I could only suspect that the outcome would quite possibly lead to very serious injury and maybe even death.

I agree that the refs tend to be a little whistle happy, but when it comes to protecting plays that have nothing to do with the game of hockey, I'm all for it. unecessary hits to the head simply aren't needed.

Do I think Coburn should be suspended, not really.

Would I have been surprised if he had, not at all.

Old
03-17-2009, 09:13 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
he sounds almost drunk
Coatsey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
this will give the Flyers haters more to ***** and moan about
They will complain whether our guys do dumb **** or not. Eff em, our franchise is not in Canada and has been successful, OH NOES!

Quote:
It's comin' right for us!

I love South Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Its good to hear. He definately deserved what he got but nothing more.

Its also a bit surprising that a Flyer wasn't suspended.
This

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:28 AM
BigBanger

Good, clean hard hitting hockey is what I want to see. Violence, heh. If I want to watch 'violence', I will watch the UFC.

Violence in hockey is high speed contact and everything that comes from that. That was what this game was built from and sadly going away from.

Old
03-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Opus

Quote:
Violence in hockey is high speed contact and everything that comes from that. That was what this game was built from and sadly going away from.
And what does a head shot away from the play have to do with hockey?

Old
03-17-2009, 11:33 AM
BigBanger

All part of the Game, as a boy I watched some great games by players who were light years ahead in Class of these clowns today and things got nasty. What we have today is watered down Hockey plain & simple you like it great but its a shell of the great game it was. Today its Presented with great lighting ,real loud music, flashing graphics never ending highlite reels of God forbid! Crunching Checks and fisticuffs and announcers telling you how great this game is... lulls you into the stupor thats todays marketed NHL.

Old
03-17-2009, 11:42 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
All part of the Game, as a boy I watched some great games by players who were light years ahead in Class of these clowns today and things got nasty. What we have today is watered down Hockey plain & simple you like it great but its a shell of the great game it was. Today its Presented with great lighting ,real loud music, flashing graphics never ending highlite reels of God forbid! Crunching Checks and fisticuffs and announcers telling you how great this game is... lulls you into the stupor thats todays marketed NHL.
You're right, Dale Hunter crushing Pierre Turgeon well after he scored, McSorley slashing Brashear in the head, Rocket Richard tomahawking someone in the head then punching a ref, Claude Lemieux running Kris Draper face first into the boards, Bobby Clarke breaking Karlamov's ankle with a two hand slash, that's what good hockey is all about. Why would the NHL ever want to regulate tough old-time hockey like that?

Old
03-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Opus

Quote:
You're right, Dale Hunter crushing Pierre Turgeon well after he scored, McSorley slashing Brashear in the head, Rocket Richard tomahawking someone in the head then punching a ref, Claude Lemieux running Kris Draper face first into the boards, Bobby Clarke breaking Karlamov's ankle with a two hand slash, that's what good hockey is all about. Why would the NHL ever want to regulate tough old-time hockey like that?
You forgot this one...

Old
03-17-2009, 11:51 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
You forgot this one...
Indeed I did, Betuzzi: another man's man's man

Last edited by UseYourAllusion: 03-17-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old
03-17-2009, 12:27 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

not to turn this into a debate on the Bertuzzi hit on Moore, but I still believe Moore's severe injuries resulted from the pileon.
Was it cheap and ********? absoultely, but if had just been Bertuzzi falling on Moore the injury would have been far less severe IMO

Back to Coburn though, I would hope he got a lecture from the league that head shots will not be tollereated. I think if he does this again, he is sitting. Regardless of what people think that this wasnt that bad.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 07:44 AM
BigBanger

Petty funny you pick three incidents in 50 years, yea lets change the entire game I see a pattern....... no need to wonder why we are so F-up in this country anymore

Old
03-18-2009, 07:51 AM
BigBanger

Bob Clarke slashing the russian... Thats your example???.... never mind .

Old
03-18-2009, 08:18 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Petty funny you pick three incidents in 50 years, yea lets change the entire game I see a pattern....... no need to wonder why we are so F-up in this country anymore
Obviously you're missing the point. My argument has nothing to do with seeing a pattern, or any desire to change the entire game. The incidents I pointed out are universally considered to be cheap shots. The only significant difference between those and what Couburn did is the result.

Old
03-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Brophy

Antropov defenitly flubed that one. That camera angle is really hard to judge. Its his word against his word against the refs word. Don't get me wrong, it was a stupid ass play on Coburn's part but its nice to see him get a little mean streak there.

Brophy is offline   Reply With Quote