HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How much money will RFA's Chris Higgins & Tomas Plekanec get this summer

Old
03-18-2009, 11:31 AM
otto bond

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
I would keep Higgins at between 4 and 5 million for 2 years. It gives us a pretty good NHLer with a very cap friendly contract. In the new nhl, its very important. Plus maybe he can rebound..who knows.

stats is one thing but have you seen him play this year. I say TRADE

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 11:52 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post

stats is one thing but have you seen him play this year. I say TRADE
Otto, don't you shake your head at me like that! You asking for a whoopin'!

But seriously, i'm the first to say he sucks rocks this year. But we know he can do better (I hope). He's still a very capable NHLer, but he seems to have lost all his confidence, like most of this team. He still scored 20+ goals his first 3 years..and 2 or 2.5 million is not a huge cap hit. Leave him on the 3rd line with Lapierre and Latendresse. That would be a pretty competent 3rd line.

FrankMTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 12:08 PM
PK76

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
I can't see Plekanec getting less then Kostitsyn. Pleks is just a better overall player that can play in any situation. Kostitsyn is a "goal scorer" yet Pleks puts up just as many goals as him..
Kostitsyn is also 3 years younger than Pleks and I wouldn't be surprised if AK reaches 40 goals in one of the next 3 seasons. He just needs to be more consistent and play with a decent center every night.

I agree that Pleks is a more well rounded player but AK's skills set (even if it's just offensively) is more appealing to me. If it wasn't for his goal scoring streak, Pleks would be having a very normal season and his stats are still nowhere near what he got last year.

That being said, I'd give him 3M a year for 3 or 4 seasons. I think that would be a good deal for the Habs.

PK76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Miller Time

let's see...

going on a three year average (ignoring the rookie year):

Pleks= .66pts/game or 54pts/season, +23 over that span
+ve's:
- defensively aware
- good skater
- hard worker/competitive
- injury free in last 3 seasons (indicating durability despite smaller stature)
- seems to be a solid pro (no distractions, doesn't complain about ice time/linemates)
- hints of borderline all-star abilities

-ve's:
- smallish, not very physical centre (not really a negative per se, but with our core of wingers, some size/grit down the middle seems like a must)
- inconsistent: flashes are great, but seems to be overly reliant on performance of wingers to be productive on offense

bottom line, imo, is that Pleks is a player that we cannot afford to lose UNLESS we have already traded for/signed a clear cut improvement as a 1st line centre. Even then, I'd rather have Pleks as the 2nd guy than Koivu.

That said, paying Pleks at or around the 3million $ range is risky given his inconsistent output. At 2M, having him slump most of the year and put up 40ish pts is not that as troublesome, but if he's making 3M+, expectations go up as does the difficulty in trading him should we need to move in another direction.

If Gainey can get him to sign, even on another 1-2 year deal(or more if he and his agent are nuts), for less than 3M, I'd be thrilled. If we cross the 3M barrier, I HOPE it's only a 1 year deal. If Pleks goes out and puts up another 70ish point season, then he'll have earned a bigger payday + years, otherwise, the habs are still the ones taking the risk.

Without going into detail with Higgins, I think it's a similar situation, but at ~1M less... 1-2 years, or more, @ ~2M would be perfect. Anything more than 2.5M and it'd better be a 1 year deal...
I can't believe he's on pace for the equivalent of a 30 point season, injuries or not, he is disappointing in a major way this year. I don't care how well he's playing otherwise, unless his name is John Madden or Guy Carbonneau, he needs to contribute more than that.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 01:51 PM
HotPie

I'm officially tired of Higgins. I've defended him long enough.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Where do I apply and where do I sign to become an armchair GM?

Seems like a hard job to do.....

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
I'm officially tired of Higgins. I've defended him long enough.
He is one of my favourite players, but he has been difficult to defend this year. Just awful.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 02:02 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
He is one of my favourite players, but he has been difficult to defend this year. Just awful.
That 2 on 1 last night was one of the worst things I have ever seen......

FrankMTL is online now   Reply With Quote