HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalev on Carbo: we had a tought time following him

Old
03-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Thinkaboutthat

vCash: 500
Kovalev on Carbo: we had a tought time following him

In La Presse. Players had a tough time following Carbo with his decisions
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...-le-suivre.php

Thinkaboutthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 07:54 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
The title can be misleading because of the translation. "on avais du mal a le suivre" means they had trouble understanding his decisions NOT that they had trouble following his lead (in the sense that he lacked leadership or whatever).

I just wanted to clear that up.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Kovy talks about not liking of Carbo changing the lines all the time. My answer for this: did he want to stay with Plek and Andrei all season and continue sucking? Didn't he learn anything from his "stellar" duo with Samsonov?

He mentions the players were confused when he would put grinders on the PP. And Carbo mentioned this very thing at the press conference that some players were too exausted. Even if they were the best players when they have no juice left, should he put them on the ice anyway. We saw last game how a Saku with nothing more to give lead to a goal.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 07:57 PM
hackeyisneat
Incostitsynt

Babelfish Translation

Kovalev on Carbonneau: “There was evil to follow it”

At the end of the day, the major problem of Guy Carbonneau in the cloakroom of the Canadian is summarized in only one sentence: its players had evil to follow it.

It is Alex Kovalev who provided this explanation at the end of the training of team, Wednesday in end of the afternoon with Brossard. The Russian attacker insisted to say that it did not have anything against Guy Carbonneau, but it lengthily explained why the former captain of the Canadian had evil to render comprehensible himself behind the bench.

“We tried to play of best than one could with him, started by saying Kovalev during a long maintenance. If it is not here any more, it is not necessarily because certain guy were against him. In fact, I do not believe that only one of our players had a problem with him. But sometimes, there was evil to follow it.”

“It was felt that he wanted to treat everyone on an equal footing, young people like the veterans. It was its style. I looked at that and I tried to include/understand. It left me on the bench, I tried to include/understand too. Sometimes, it sent the third or the fourth trio on the ice at the time of the attack to five. I tried to include/understand. Was it annoyed? Did he want to prove something to us? One tried to include/understand…”

Kovalev also gave in example the situations of end of match, when Guy Carbonneau could send on the ice of the players of support whereas the team was hopelessly with the research of the tying goal

“When he played, he was this type of player, a defensive player, then I imagine that he wanted to make play of the guy like that in these situations, Kovalev answered. Did he think too much like a player? Perhaps. When you are a trainer, you must think like a trainer, not like a player. You must see the play from the point of view of a trainer, not from the point of view of a player.”

Other irritating according to Kovalev: the famous question of the trios. It is known, Guy Carbonneau passed much from time to chambouler his trios. Sometimes for best, sometimes for the worst.

And that, that always did not give pleasure with certain members of CH, seems it.

“Of course, we are professionals, and the question of the companions of trio should not even disturb us, recognized the veteran. But at the same time, there is a reason for which certain teams employ the same trios during a whole season. I remember that on our premises, at the time of the Soviet Union, one had the same trios during years! When you are always with same the guy, you can play the closed eyes, because you always know where your colleagues will be.”

Without giving too many details, Alex Kovalev admitted having had “two good discussions” with Guy Carbonneau during the last weeks. Discussions which related to its style of play, of the discussions of strategy.

The two men, obviously, did not see really the things in the same way.

“He wanted that I make certain things with his way, told the Russian player. Sometimes, I was not ready to modify my style of play. But I was never annoyed against him. Never. One cannot undertake a match while being in fury against somebody. I feel badly for him, badly for the way in which that finished. I was very disappointed for him the year spent when it did not obtain the title of trainer of the year.”

Despite everything, in spite of the famous as well mentioned problems of communication, Alex Kovalev estimates as if the Canadian finds himself today in survival mode, it is not only the fault with Guy Carbonneau.

“We placed ourselves in this position, it concluded. The greatest difference, it is that this season, one plays as if one is afraid to make errors. One plays nervously. It was not the case last season.”

hackeyisneat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:02 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by blicemj View Post
Kovalev on Carbonneau: “There was evil to follow it”
Oh god

I'll make a short summary of the article in english, just wait a few mins.

Old
03-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Oh god

.. thank you

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:09 PM
j c petit
Locked-out

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Oh god

Don't you change one word!!! That's the funniest thing I've read here.

"the attack to five"

j c petit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkaboutthat View Post
I hope Kovy will not be back with this team next season...!

Hannibal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Stradale

Kovalev is just saying what every Habs fans and media was saying but since its Kovy, they will take one line and make a big deal about it.

Thats like when Koivu said communication what Carbo does best but since Saku said it, the french media made a big deal about even if ALL the quebecer of the team has said that Carbo doesnt communicate with his players.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:23 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

summary of the important parts :

Kovalev on Carbonneau: «We had trouble understanding him»

This afternoon, after training at Brossard, Kovalev explained how the players had difficulty understanding Carbo's decisions. However he wants to make it clear he had nothing against the individual.

"We tried playing as best as we could for him. If he's not here anymore, its not necessarily because some guys were against him. In fact, I believe not one of us had problems with him. However, sometimes we had trouble understanding his decisions."

"We felt he wanted to treat everyone equaly, young players and veterans. It was his style. Looking at it I tried to understand. I would try to understand when he benched me too. Sometimes, he would send the 3rd or 4th line on the ice on the powerplay. I tried to understand. Was he angry? Did he want to prove something to us? We tried to understand."

Another example given by Kovalev is that Carbo would often send support players in end game situations when the team desparately needed a tying goal.

"When he played, he was this type of player, a defensive player, I suppose this is why he wanted to have these guys play in these situations. Was he thinking like a player too much? Perhaps. When you're a coach, you need to think like a coach, not like a player. You need to see the game like a coach, not see it like a player."

Kovalev wasn't satisfied with Carbo's habit to change trios every game either. An habit that apparantly wasn't popular with some hab players.

While he admits professionals shouldn't care about trio combos, he mentionned some teams use the same combos for entire years. Chemistry works better in his opinion with set trios "you can tell were your teammates are with closed eyes"

Kovalev says he had two discussions with Guy in the last two weeks about his playing style and strategies. They didn't see things the same way.

"He asked me to do some things his way. I was not always ready to change my playing style. I have never been angry about him however. Never. We can't start a game while being furious about someone. I feel bad for him and the way this all ended. I was sad last year that he didn't win the coach of the year award."

Still, Kovalev it is wrong to blame Carbonneau alone for the precarious position the Habs are in at the moment.

"We placed ourselves in this position. The biggest difference this season, is that we play like we are afraid to make mistakes. We play nervously, which wasn't the case last year."

Oh well.. wasn't much of a "summary", rather a nearly complete translation

Its nice to hear from the players about this. Kovalev might be the incarnation of absolute evil to some people here, but no one can deny he can be brutally honest.

Old
03-18-2009, 08:24 PM
HotHabsFan*

Koivu

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:25 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Kovalev, if he wants can be the most talented player in the league. It isn't up to the coach to entice him to want to play. He should want to play at his best every night because he wants to help the most storied franchise in hockey win.

But Kovalev, I am afraid, rarely looks motivated. Some weeks its shift by shift, some weeks its game by game.

In between are stellar performances, ones Im sure my generation of Habs fans will remember for a long time.

But he won't help this young team win a cup. His leadership skills are questionable at best. His effort level is up and down based on his own whims.

Its time for Gainey to let Kovalev walk and look for a new solution on the wing in Montreal.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:34 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Kovalev is a smart guy, he knows pretty well that if Carbo put grinders on the PP at some point, its because himself and the other supposed offensive players were choking big time.. Demers talked there was some hypocrytes faces in this team, Kovy is the best example, thats what we call a team killer, a cancer or anything going in that sense..

The guys arent dumb enough to not realize some evident things, just like the fact that our supposed fourth line (Lats Laps Kosto) has not only been our most reliable line for a long stretch but the most dangerous one 5 on 5 as well.. Guys like Kovy and other hypocrites arent honest enough to admit their responsabilities, its easier to put the blame on the coach when in reality they just didnt work hard enough, they were struggling big time and Carbo was so depressed by their play that it led to some marginal decisions, like putting grinders on the PP in hopes his offensive players would wake up.. We know the story, they werent proud enough to react positively to the coach's moves, they werent proud enough to jump on the next PP hungry, ready to make a difference.. What Im saying is the reality and Kovy knows it pretty well, he is just that kind of hypocryte person able to lie watching you in the eyes, he played his little game perfectly, wasnt willing to work hard like last year and pay the price every games, thats the sad reality Mr.Kovalev, once again, you got another coach head, congratulation never I thought you would get Carbo's one.. But Gainey didnt have enough bullets to extend your little holiday longer.. The good news for us, is that you are playing your last few games as a Habs, you wont dishonour this jersey anymore.. Just watch this team get alive again next year, get rejevaneted, having some spirit, starting to find its identity.. As soon as the season is over, I will be the first one to write the word liberty on this board!

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 03-18-2009 at 08:43 PM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:37 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I hope Kovy will not be back with this team next season...!
One thing is for sure that Carbo will not be back with this team next season.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Kovalev: "I couldn't understand why he didn't make me jump one or two games considering how bad my intensity was on the ice."

Koivu: "I couldn't understand why he was letting me play 20 minutes a game while at this point of my career, and considering I managed to come back from a terrible cancer, I should be given 15 minutes a game."

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:43 PM
NewHabsEra*

I guess he understands Gainey way better than Carbo so far..

Old
03-18-2009, 08:44 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Kovalev, if he wants can be the most talented player in the league. It isn't up to the coach to entice him to want to play. He should want to play at his best every night because he wants to help the most storied franchise in hockey win.
There is more of an issue with the expectations of the Kovalev bashers then there is an issue with his motivation to play his best.

Countless times I've come to this forum after a game to find the usual suspects trashing Kovalev for his efforts in a game where he clearly played hard but didn't get results. There was a game earlier this season where Kovalev hit two posts and the side of the net, all on rather spectacular plays and also in that same game ragged the puck and put on a skating exhibit in the process while killing a penalty. He recorded no points, but played a truly special game.

The game day thread, amazingly, had a thread about someone being sick of his indifferent play and lack of 'fire' in his game. I was blown away, but figured this was just the ramblings of a clueless fan. Nope, several others echoed his sentiments.

The people here who suggest he's mailing in his efforts simply aren't watching the same game I am.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:47 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
I guess he understands Gainey way better than Carbo so far..
i am sure he does

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:53 PM
smon

Well, guess him and Carbonneau didn't golf that together all that much

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:55 PM
NewHabsEra*

Kovy: "Il voulait que je fasse certaines choses à sa façon, a raconté le joueur russe. Parfois, je n'étais pas prêt à modifier mon style de jeu. Mais je n'ai jamais été fâché contre lui. Jamais. On ne peut pas entreprendre un match en étant en furie contre quelqu'un. Je me sens mal pour lui, mal pour la façon dont ça s'est terminé. J'étais très déçu pour lui l'an passé quand il n'a pas obtenu le titre d'entraîneur de l'année".»

traduction: "He (Carbo) wanted me to do things his way. Sometime, I wasnt willing to modify my style of play.. But I never been angry against him, never.. I feel bad for him, I feel bad for the way it ended.. I was very desapointed for him last year when he didnt get the Jack Adams." pure ********!!

Gainey 2 days ago: "I want Kovy to play a north south type of game and simplify his game, I want him to work the way Chris and Max work.."
Do I need to add something?? It says all..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 03-18-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old
03-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Kovy: "Il voulait que je fasse certaines choses à sa façon, a raconté le joueur russe. Parfois, je n'étais pas prêt à modifier mon style de jeu. Mais je n'ai jamais été fâché contre lui. Jamais. On ne peut pas entreprendre un match en étant en furie contre quelqu'un. Je me sens mal pour lui, mal pour la façon dont ça s'est terminé. J'étais très déçu pour lui l'an passé quand il n'a pas obtenu le titre d'entraîneur de l'année".»

traduction: "He (Carbo) wanted me to do things his way. Sometime, I wasnt willing to modify my style of play.. But I never been angry against him, never.. I feel bad for him, I feel bad for the way it ended.. I was very desapointed for him last year when he didnt get the Jack Adams." pure ********!!

Gainey 2 days ago: "I want Kovy to play a north south type of game and simplify his game, I want him to work the way Chris and Max work.."

Do I need to add something?? It says all..
No need to add anything. You already sound like an ***.

Btw, this will be the mean subject on l'Antichambre and Bergeron will have a lot of fun bashing Kovy just like you.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Kovalev is a ****ing hypocrite and he should just shut the **** up as he's one of the main reasons for Carbonneau being fired.

Had it not been of Carbo's class in diffusing the heat in saying that thing about the golf and the comments about Koivu (to avoid an avalanche of other questions), you could tell that he could have take a rip into Kovy by only hinting that it was Gainey's job to now detect who the cancers were and sending that message about him being able to clean the dressing room with them being UFA's. Good on Carbo, I wouldn't have held back!

Jacques Demers, a good friend of Carbo, wasn't so "reserved" in his interviews on RDS.ca and hinted strongly at Kovalev with his comments on "hypocrites playing when they feel like it".

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Pat

I'm willing to bet a couple of bucks that this thread will become a Koivu bashing thread somewhere down the line

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 09:24 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I'm willing to bet a couple of bucks that this thread will become a Koivu bashing thread somewhere down the line
How about now?

Koivu is a good guy, and a good warm body.

He isn't the leader of the Canadiens, he isn't our best player, he isn't our best forward, and he isn't our best player. Blah blah blah blah yada yada yada

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkiness View Post
How about now?

Koivu is a good guy, and a good warm body.

He isn't the leader of the Canadiens, he isn't our best player, he isn't our best forward, and he isn't our best player. Blah blah blah blah yada yada yada

I see someone wants money

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote