HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

'Slats" Falling

Old
03-16-2009, 02:21 PM
TylerDurden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Oh come on, it was a fairly large risk trading for a 32 year old player who was run off his team and was perpetually described as a cancer, even if the cost was minimal. If Jagr flopped Sather would have been ripped to pieces, actually he was ripped pretty bad before Jagr even played a game.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=46245

Sather gets more than enough flak around here for his foul ups, he should get credit when he does something right.
Haha,that thread is hysterical. The Jagr bashing and Ortmeyer love fest is gold.

TylerDurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Oh come on, it was a fairly large risk trading for a 32 year old player who was run off his team and was perpetually described as a cancer, even if the cost was minimal. If Jagr flopped Sather would have been ripped to pieces, actually he was ripped pretty bad before Jagr even played a game.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=46245

Sather gets more than enough flak around here for his foul ups, he should get credit when he does something right.
That wasn't a large risk at all. We had NO PLAYERS at that time, taking a used Jagr who wanted to play in NYC for almost no salary was a no brainer. Milbury wouldve made that deal

If Jagr flopped? You mean like if we paid him 6 or 7 million a year to provide mediocre offensive numbers? Yeah Slats should be buried if he did that

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Martin Madden - Neil Smith's dir. of scouting - thanks you.
First, I don't disagree with you that Sather holds responsibility for his part of the playoff drought.

Regardless of when Lundqvist was drafted, though, it's impossible to deny that Rangers' drafting has steadily improved under Sather. Time was, there were no prospects in the Rangers farm system and that's what killed Smith. The best move that Sather made when he first became Rangers GM is to make sure that the team kept Christer Rockström, the European scout who was brought in by Smith, on board.

I know that Maloney was responsible for a lot of the drafting, but considering we didn't seem to blow it in last year's draft indicates that there is a decent structure in place now.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 02:41 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
That was awesome! Pure Genius!!!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Fletch

phew, I somehow didn't even comment in that thread. I don't know how the trade went down, but I don't think McPhee called Sather and said, hey man, I'll take Carter off your hands and you can have Jagr and we'll eat 1/2 of his salary. Not knowing all the details, I can say that getting Jagr for Carter and paying Jagr under $5MM per season, and in a cap era, was a good thing. Sather was the GM when it happened and I will give credit where credit is due...but he shouldn't have been allowed to be the GM when Jagr took the ice for his first full season with the Rangers...that I'll maintain...

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 02:45 PM
lundy

**** slats

lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
phew, I somehow didn't even comment in that thread. ...
I didn't either, but seeing some of those names in there, man, its been awhile...where the hell is Laches & Edge!?

Old
03-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
phew, I somehow didn't even comment in that thread. I don't know how the trade went down, but I don't think McPhee called Sather and said, hey man, I'll take Carter off your hands and you can have Jagr and we'll eat 1/2 of his salary. Not knowing all the details, I can say that getting Jagr for Carter and paying Jagr under $5MM per season, and in a cap era, was a good thing. Sather was the GM when it happened and I will give credit where credit is due...but he shouldn't have been allowed to be the GM when Jagr took the ice for his first full season with the Rangers...that I'll maintain...
Carter wasn't a liability at that time. the Caps traded him for a decent prospect at the deadline (who didn't turn out, but still)

they were talking about Jagr to the Rangers for a long time before it happened.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Fletch

was thinking the same thing, Bluenote. There was a time people accused me a Laches of being the same person. And True Blue - not around too much these days. I am waiting for another moosemessier sighting though.,

Old
03-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
was thinking the same thing, Bluenote. There was a time people accused me a Laches of being the same person. And True Blue - not around too much these days. I am waiting for another moosemessier sighting though.,
I think I was the one saying that about you Fletch on the rivals board What can I say, you guys always agreed with each other

Old
03-16-2009, 03:44 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
That wasn't a large risk at all. We had NO PLAYERS at that time, taking a used Jagr who wanted to play in NYC for almost no salary was a no brainer. Milbury wouldve made that deal
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=751647&postcount=9

Quote:
I don't think Jagr looks as quick as he used to, is it just me?

Yeah, he may want to play here, but there's a long list of bums who've said that as well. He's only going to be as good as the people around him. Remember that.

As for who's going to be traded, i'd say Lundmark as well as Carter are goners.
No brainer?

Seriously though, if Jagr would have pouted and we got stuck with him people would have freaked out on Sather. The move was risky but it paid off. He gets enough legitimate grief on these boards, when he does something right, he should get credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
That I agree with completely. Sather was a horror show up 2004, and probably should have been booted a few times.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=751647&postcount=9

No brainer?

Seriously though, if Jagr would have pouted and we got stuck with him people would have freaked out on Sather. The move was risky but it paid off. He gets enough legitimate grief on these boards, when he does something right, he should get credit.

That I agree with completely. Sather was a horror show up 2004, and probably should have been booted a few times.

It was a no brainer for Slats, indeed. I had my reservations, and as far as I can tell I was right about what I said.

Old
03-16-2009, 03:53 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Most of the old time posters were part of the Doom and Gloom brigade and stopped posting as much when the Rangers made it back into the playoff scene. Every now and again they pop up if they perceive that the Rangers did something stupid or if there is a Sather thread. Too bad too, they were always entertaining. Sometimes I think Chosen is Aneirin...

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Fletch

funny you say that Mc...I've often thought the same thing about aneirin and Chosen, but came to the conclusion that Chosen isn't as abrasive/condenscending as aneirin, who I thought was an extremely knowledgeable poster. Yes, my life is so pathetic at times that I often debate if one poster is another poster. I guess it's not as fun posting about Sather and callig him jackass, as was done in the past.

Old
03-17-2009, 01:43 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Slats WAS handed Jagr on a silver platter. Jagr wasn't going anywhere else, he basically only wanted to play here. And the same with Bure, too. It didn't matter who the team's GM was in those situations, they still would have been able to do the same moves. It's not like he really out maneuvered rival GMs there. Those guys made it pretty clear they wanted to come to NY.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 01:50 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
You know a GM is bad when Millbury praises him.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/...s_on_targ.html

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 02:20 AM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreification View Post
You know a GM is bad when Millbury praises him.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/...s_on_targ.html
Not true.

I see plenty of Mad Mike and he's a very good if not great analyst. Over-the-top at times of course but still knows his stuff.

He's just like former Detroit Lions GM Matt Millen. Fine analysts who were distracted by becoming ****** GM's.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 08:36 PM
dedalus

Quote:
I guess it's not as fun posting about Sather and callig him jackass, as was done in the past.
I think that's because there was always the sense that the critique might actually matter somehow.

It's become plain that Sather can succeed or fail, and it will make no difference to his employment situation. The blame from the Dolans will be perpetually laid at the feet of coaches and never at the feet of the man who hired the coaches and built the team they actually coach.

All that said, Sather isn't as bad as his worst detractors make him, nor is he as good as his biggest supporters make him. He's had a handful of years as miserable as those of his failed predecessor followed by a handful of years of modest success that seem spectacular relative to what came before. In short, he's proven to be a "decent" GM of an "decent" team.

Part of the problem is that many of us, myself included, expected a whole lot more than "decent" when Glen Sather signed on as GM. We probably should have paid more attention to his record as GM of the Oilers, but it was easy to pass that off under the excuse that "Well, he had no money there," a card he was happy to play himself when he made statements like, "If I had the Rangers' money, I'd never miss the playoffs."

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 10:44 PM
JerseyRangers

Sather hasn't done a great job; at the same time he sure hasn't been down at Milbury's level either. During his regime we've managed to rebuild our farm team and actually have a decent stable of good young players; something this team really hasn't had since the early 90's. Add to that we've lost two studs to tragic circumstances (I personally can't think of another team thats even lost one guy under such circumstances) and you've got to give credit where credit is due. On the trade front he's also done pretty well. As I write this I'm actually beginning to think that Sather, post lockout, has been a pretty good GM. Certainly we could be doing a lot worse!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 04:58 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
During his regime we've managed to rebuild our farm team and actually have a decent stable of good young players;
There's that word again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
something this team really hasn't had since the early 90's.
If this team had a stable of youth like that of the early-to-mid 90s, we could all be very, very happy. So far as I can see, there is no Kovalev here, no Zubov, no Weight, no Savard. Other than Staal whom I think could be a Norstrom, our best prospects look like Nemchinovs, Sundstroms, and Johnssons: all good solid contributors but not difference-makers.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 07:54 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
There's that word again.

If this team had a stable of youth like that of the early-to-mid 90s, we could all be very, very happy. So far as I can see, there is no Kovalev here, no Zubov, no Weight, no Savard. Other than Staal whom I think could be a Norstrom, our best prospects look like Nemchinovs, Sundstroms, and Johnssons: all good solid contributors but not difference-makers.
I envision Staal being better then Norstrom. Girardi is a better comparison to Nordstrom. However, thats not the point. Since the mid 90's to right after the lockout we had virtually no youth whatsoever. During the last 4 years we've added more youth then we had since the early 90's. Also, everyone seems to forget that we tragically lost two top prospects in that time period. Show me one other team that has lost two top prospects like we did. Just one!

I don't think Sather has done a great job. At the same time there are alot of team GM's who haven't accomplished what Sather has. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sather has done an average or maybe slightly above average job. Certainly his trades have seemed to work out pretty well!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Chief

People do tend to pile on Slats but there is no doubt that his pre-lockout tenure was an unmitigated disaster. Crazy money thrown around and zippo results. Couple that with horrid coaching hires and that should have been enough to get him canned.

Post lockout he put together a surprisingly productive squad and a coach with a clue. Centering the team around Jagr was smart but he failed to get Jagr the necessary help to really make a Cup run. Shoestring and BTO at the last deadline did nothing to help. This season he went out and got reinforcements but those moves looked like moves just to make the PO's.

His current string of PO appearances are enough to keep him employed but this team is in bad cap shape and the future could be ugly. Of course, when you've got one of the best goalies in the league, it shouldn't take much to be battling for the PO's in spring. Whether Slats can put together a team that exceeds that expectation is the test for him.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote