HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers, Torts Take Long View On Roster

Old
03-19-2009, 06:01 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rangers, Torts Take Long View On Roster

Quote:
When the offseason arrives, personnel decisions will be based primarily on whether players fit into Tortorella's vision for how he wants the Rangers to think and to play. The cap is a factor, and the Rangers may lose a player they would prefer to keep, but they are unlikely to sacrifice anyone Tortorella believes can be part of the core.

The number is $41.096M for the nine players under contract next season and there will be another $6.524M committed to Qualifying Offers for five more players. Combined, that's a total of $47.62M. This will leave the Rangers with $7-10M to sign unrestricted free agents Antropov and Paul Mara and fill in the remainder of the club.

There will be tough calls to make, and it is all but certain that the Blueshirts will attempt to move at least one of the big-money contracts, but the change to Tortorella has provided management with the best prism through which to make their evaluations
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03192009...ter_160280.htm

So Torts is the de facto GM

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 07:23 AM
Levitate

Renney was also given a lot of input on how the team was built (at least, that's what was reported)

Sather seems to be fine with talking to his coaches and getting their input on how they think the team should be constructed

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 07:26 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Sather seems to be fine with talking to his coaches and getting their input on how they think the team should be constructed
Whether or not he uses that input, no one knows.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Synergy27

Sounds like Brooksie doesn't think Morris will be returning. That's a shame if true. I'm assuming Zherdev is part of that qualifying offer number? Isn't the consensus that he will require more than just a qualifier to re-sign here?

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 07:40 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
Sounds like Brooksie doesn't think Morris will be returning. That's a shame if true. I'm assuming Zherdev is part of that qualifying offer number? Isn't the consensus that he will require more than just a qualifier to re-sign here?
The way he is playing under Torts, he doesn't deserve anything more than a qualifying offer IMO.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 08:05 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Does this mean Sather's going to abandon his long term plan? Is that an admission that it's not going work? Was it designed to work only with Renney? Is it a change because that how Sather's feeling at the moment?

I don't know. Seems like chasing your tail to me.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 08:06 AM
Nich

i am telling you, trade rosi, resign mara, and bring up a kid or two

i can def go with a top 4 d of

staal - girardi
redden - mara

and the 5 mill will make it a lot easier to get everyone else under contract....plus when nasland is gone the year after, there is another 4 mill.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 08:18 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Does this mean Sather's going to abandon his long term plan? Is that an admission that it's not going work? Was it designed to work only with Renney? Is it a change because that how Sather's feeling at the moment?

I don't know. Seems like chasing your tail to me.
Think you gotta expand on this one more. What long term plan is he apparently abandoning?

Can't just throw **** like that out there and not explain what you're talking about.

Old
03-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Think you gotta expand on this one more. What long term plan is he apparently abandoning?

Can't just throw **** like that out there and not explain what you're talking about.
I don't imagine you're signing people to 5-7 year contracts unless you're looking WAY ahead and following a plan. It's inconceivable that Sather would make those offers with any intention of moving them in the near future, because it's going to take a TERRIBLE deal, from a Ranger perspective, to do so.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 08:41 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Im hoping we give Morris a fair 2 year deal..I love his play,he's cool under pressure,takes the body and has a great shot from the point.We need him back big time.Hes only 31 and seems to have solidified the D

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 09:27 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
The way he is playing under Torts, he doesn't deserve anything more than a qualifying offer IMO.
huh?

morris has been steady and smart since hes been here. not sure who you are watching but hes been very good.

heres what needs to happen.

rozy and redden have albatros contracts. reddens value is near zero and with that 7 yr deal, hes not going anywhere.

rozy has value. hes a serviceable 2nd pair guy. his contract is bad, but no where near reddens. i predict we will move him on draft day to move up and take a player we like. it will be a salary dump plain and simple but we will clear space which we should use to make sure mara and morris stay here.

plain and simple, we do not need and cannot afford to keep him and redden. since redden is staying, rozys history.

someone from hartford will play defense here next year. whom ever is most ready and has the best camp. there will be a spot open, so it will be fun to see who steps up. ill predict sauer gets a good look but would not be surprised if correy potter is the guy. i would personally like mdz to be that guy. not sure bobby sangs will be ready over potter or sauer.

mdz to me seems to be the best choice is hes ready. his offensive skills are something this team could use if we do lose rozy and resign the more defensive morris and mara. in the end though, he may need a year in hartford. then again, luke schen did it.

so far this season mdz has 63 points in 62 games. the guy has offensive skills from the blueline that we could use next year.

staal redden

girardi mara

morris and mdz or potter/sauer

this would be fine with me next year.

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 03-19-2009 at 09:35 AM.
offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 09:30 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
huh?

morris has been steady and smart since hes been here. not sure who you are watching but hes been very good.
Think he was talking about Zherdev...

03-19-2009, 09:31 AM
lotus

I see him as an upgrade to Rozsival. Not really in this teams best interest to lose Paul Mara, I think.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 09:36 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
true. my bad.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 09:41 AM
coolbean04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
i am telling you, trade rosi, resign mara, and bring up a kid or two

i can def go with a top 4 d of

staal - girardi
redden - mara

and the 5 mill will make it a lot easier to get everyone else under contract....plus when nasland is gone the year after, there is another 4 mill.
I want to rip my hair out with how many people say this. Why on earth would you trade Rozi and keep Redden? Why????????????????

Rozi is cheaper AND better!!!

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 09:48 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
I want to rip my hair out with how many people say this. Why on earth would you trade Rozi and keep Redden? Why????????????????

If you are the GM for another team,which player is more appealing?Shorter contract with 30%-40% of it already paid by the Rangers or a 5 year contract?One of them have to go.Both contracts have to go but start with Roszival first and then worry about Redden.

Old
03-19-2009, 09:50 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

Because everyone is resigned to the fact that Redden and his contract are unmovable. Someone will take Rosy off our hands.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 09:50 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:

Because it is unlikely there is a team and a GM stupid enough to take on Redden's contract. We would all love for him to be gone but its not going to happen.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 09:54 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
I don't imagine you're signing people to 5-7 year contracts unless you're looking WAY ahead and following a plan. It's inconceivable that Sather would make those offers with any intention of moving them in the near future, because it's going to take a TERRIBLE deal, from a Ranger perspective, to do so.
The Rangers and most of the other big market team were counting on the cap to increase over the next little while instead of the expected drop for 10-11.The cap is going to remain status quo for next season but could drop to $50 million for 10-11.Who could have predicted the financial crisis?Our "government" still does not have a good grasp on what is going on and what will happen next.

Old
03-19-2009, 09:55 AM
SouvenirCity

Since Torts has come in, it seems as if the "Trade Gomez Now" mentality has gone by the waistside, which is great. Gomer's been playing up to his #1 center potential recently. The non-signing moves that should be made in the off-season hinge around the movement of one of Redden or Rozsival, and a possible draft day trade of Naslund for a pick. Then you replace Naslund with Anisimov (moving Dubinsky to Drury's wing), and Rozsival/Redden with the influx of a young D (either Sanguinetti, Sauer or Potter). I mean I wouldn't be surprised if we tried to land a major name Winger this year, but i'm expecting a slow off-season for our cap-strapped club.

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 09:57 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

If Redden and Roszival are playing at their best,it's not even close.

Redden is the much better player.

Old
03-19-2009, 09:58 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
He's still wrong.

Aside from the benching, Zherdev has been fine.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Levitate

Quote:
My guess is that they were also expecting the cap to continue to increase, making the big signings not as hard to deal with...plus this is also just Larry Brooks saying "well they gotta trade someone" rather than Sather himself saying "yeah we gotta trade someone, this didn't work out"

Not to mention that the long contracts (other than Lundqvist) were FA's, and you basically have to give them long contracts these days.

Basically I don't see how any of this is "abandoning a plan" at this point.

Old
03-19-2009, 10:01 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
He's still wrong.

Aside from the benching, Zherdev has been fine.
What is our Rangers/Coyotes friend talking about?Zherdev has played better under Torts in the last 3 weeks than he did in the three previous weeks under Renney.He scored 2 big goals against Boston and Montreal in the last 10 days.

Old
03-19-2009, 10:07 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

IMO, the "player they'd like to keep but will lose" is Rozsival.

They're not letting Zherdev, Antropov, Dubinsky, Staal, Girardi, Callahan, Betts and Sjostrom walk.

depending on what Mara wants
depending on what Morris wants
depending on what Valiquette wants

They will be retained.

Voros will be gone

And Orr... they're going to have to decide weather or not they want to spend 600K on a guy who plays 5 minutes. IMO they should let him walk if he commands too much. The top two lines and the defense are a hell of a lot more important then fringe 4th line guys.

Most of these guys won't make much more then what they are currently making.

The other thing is:
Anisimov will be ready.
Grachev will get a serious look.
Del Zotto and Sanguinetti will also get a serious look.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote