HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stevens ponders changes for Flyers

Old
03-19-2009, 09:25 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1447
Stevens ponders changes for Flyers

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news...or-flyers.html
Quote:
"There's no time for moral victories this time of year,'' he said. "Up until the first New York game (a 4-2 home win over the Rangers on Saturday), I thought we played aggressive. I know we've had five games in eight days, and that's not an excuse, but we need to play with energy.

"We need to skate; we've got a good group of skating forwards. We need to pursue the puck and be a lot more aggressive, with and without the puck. I didn't think we did that the last two games.''

Stevens does have some options. Daniel Briere is capable of playing on the first two lines. Question is: Who gets dropped to the third line? Both Scott Hartnell and Joffrey Lupul scored in Detroit and played well. Mike Richards might be a possibility, but do the Flyers really want to cut the captain's ice time?

Briere does not have a goal since he was initially injured back in October. In a way, this is his training camp. He's showing signs of finding his timing and conditioning, but it's still a work in progress.

"It's going to take some time, but I do think he's starting to come around,'' Stevens said. "It will take some time for him to get back to the level we're accustomed to (he was the Flyers' leading goal-scorer last year with 31).

"I think we might shuffle some things around here, try to get some balance on our front lines, get him more involved than he has been up to this point. We're looking at Danny as a healthy player now. It seems like we get one line going, then (that one stops) another gets going. + I think we need some continuity. I think if we have size, experience, different ingredients for each line, it will bode well for us.''
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...s_lineup_.html
Quote:

The plan for Danny Briere's return was to play him on the fourth line, get him back in games and then start thinking about where he really fits with the Flyers.

No knock on NHL fourth-line players; teams that have effective players throughout their 12 forwards are usually the most successful.

But Briere is not a fourth-line player. Just what he is right now is a little up in the air with the way the Flyers' current top two centers, Mike Richards and Jeff Carter, are playing.

That's what John Stevens was trying to figure out yesterday.

"Our plan was, we had four games in 6 nights and we wanted to get him through that, get his legs under him and go from there. And we did that," the coach said.

"Most signs are that Danny is doing good and has started to get his legs under him and now it's time to go from there."

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 03-19-2009 at 09:31 AM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Mo0sE

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mo0sE
i say give it a shot... we are finally getting some solid goaltending by Marty.. and now our offense is gone...

Last edited by Mo0sE: 03-19-2009 at 09:30 AM. Reason: typo
Mo0sE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 09:38 AM
CantSeeColors

Why can't you just play him with Giroux and Asham on the third line? Giroux's got as much skill as anyone on the team and Asham has some pretty underrated hands to fill the Knuble/Hartnell role on that line. I don't see much of a reason to break up those top two lines that have worked most of the year when Briere hasn't even found his hands yet.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 09:41 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I'd honestly demote Asham. I know he's been great recently, but he's ultimately a 4th line guy.

Carcillo-Briere-Giroux

That's a pretty solid 3rd line especially considering that our top 2 lines are essentially our shutdown lines.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 09:46 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

I'd like to see what happens with Giroux, Asham, and Knuble and Briere gets to play with 18 and 12.

This is Briere playing with Carcillo:

Not very bright.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo0sE View Post
we are finally getting some solid goaltending by Marty.. and now our offense is gone...
So frustrating.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Mo0sE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Why can't you just play him with Giroux and Asham on the third line? Giroux's got as much skill as anyone on the team and Asham has some pretty underrated hands to fill the Knuble/Hartnell role on that line. I don't see much of a reason to break up those top two lines that have worked most of the year when Briere hasn't even found his hands yet.
true they have worked together all year... but our offense is beginning to get very streaky... for example... the home and home series against the Rangers...if breaking up those two line give us a more consistant offense... sign me up

Old
03-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Maybe it's me, but do you guys/girls think that Briere looks like he's ready for the additional ice time yet?

I don't.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Mo0sE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Maybe it's me, but do you guys/girls think that Briere looks like he's ready for the additional ice time yet?

I don't.
I think he hasn't actually been that bad.. he played well with Giroux when he first came back. Then stevens put him on the fourth line. You can't expect much from him on the fourth line getting those minutes. I'm saying... maybe start him on a top 2 line.. see how he does... and just make adjustments if you need to..

Old
03-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:

I don't.
Danny looks lost out there.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:13 AM
JSTAFF

I personally think we need to just go back to giving this a try.

Gagne - Richards - Briere
Hartnell - Carter - Giroux
Knuble - Carcillo - Lupul
Asham - Powe - Cote

1st line - playmaker = briere, sniper = gagne, all-in-one Richards. Richards and Gagne make up for Briere's lack of defense.

2nd line - sniper = carter , net presence/protection= hartnell, giroux = obvious playmaker. Replacing Giroux with Lupul could mix things up a bit and maybe get some more offense out of the team.

3rd line - More of a traditional 3rd line role with scoring abilities. I dont know why I think Carcillo and Lupul will click. Plus Lupul gets to play with a familiar role in Carcillo with Hartnell. This line set up good forechecking and cycling.

4th line - role players that need to stop getting placed on lines 1-3.

Just trying to mix things up a bit. Who knows.

EDIT: I think Carcillo spent time playing Center in PHX if i recall

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
I know he's on the 3rd line, but it's not the play with his linemates that's off...it's his legs. He looks (to me) like he's skating like it's family fun skate. I'm sure the hands will come back, but why is skating so poorly???

I don't think he's anywhere close to getting more minutes, which will result in playing against better players. I think this at this point, is a recipe for disaster.

Old
03-19-2009, 10:20 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Yea he isn't ready for more ice time. He's noticeably slow, and as much as people on hear hate on him none of them can say that he's slow.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:24 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:

I don't.
He is not a fourth line player and he is an expensive third line player. If you grade his play since the return as unimpressive, the question becomes is it physical reasons or because of his linemates; is he ready to make a jump to the next level of a top two line? It is a dicey proposition and it can alter chemistry but if it doesn't work out, then they will have to deal with the circumstances of that. I'm not thrilled by a Carcillo-Giroux-Briere combo. I was underwhelmed by Upshall's quote from when Briere returned about a month ago and I hope the locker room hasn't been affected by all the changes. I am still unsure of that -- time will tell. My two biggest questions coming into this season was the depth on the blueline and the lack of a vet who could kick a little a when needed. If the team expires prematurely, goalies will again be blamed when there are other more caustic reasons.

Old
03-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Mo0sE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiria92 View Post
Yea he isn't ready for more ice time. He's noticeably slow, and as much as people on hear hate on him none of them can say that he's slow.
I dunno why a lot of people on here hate him so much...yeah he's got a huge contract... as does the majority of the team...he was second in points last season and lead the team in points in the playoffs..it unfortunate this season and you know he wants to contribute..Gagne makes 5 mil a year and no one complained about him when he got hurt last season...

Old
03-19-2009, 10:29 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafuccijr View Post
That would be neat to watch.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
He is not a fourth line player and he is an expensive third line player. If you grade his play since the return as unimpressive, the question becomes is it physical reasons or because of his linemates; is he ready to make a jump to the next level of a top two line? It is a dicey proposition and it can alter chemistry but if it doesn't work out, then they will have to deal with the circumstances of that. I'm not thrilled by a Carcillo-Giroux-Briere combo. I was underwhelmed by Upshall's quote from when Briere returned about a month ago and I hope the locker room hasn't been affected by all the changes. I am still unsure of that -- time will tell. My two biggest questions coming into this season was the depth on the blueline and the lack of a vet who could kick a little a when needed. If the team expires prematurely, goalies will again be blamed when there are other more caustic reasons.
I completely agree, and am of the same thinking. I know he's not paid to be bottom 6, and obviously (one would think) he'd have more success with better players on the top 6...but I just don't see his legs as being ready. Nothing to do with his hands, it's his skating and possible confidence (or lack there of) that worries me.

It wouldn't be the Philadelphia Flyers if they didn't have a goaltending controversy.

I thought too, when we lost Hatcher, Smith and Kapanen...that the veteran leadership was very thin...especially that none of them were replaced. I think that was grossly overlooked. Now is the time when they would be really nice to have. That's why I was hoping we could have gotten Shanahan, for that reason alone.

Old
03-19-2009, 10:32 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
I completely agree, and am of the same thinking. I know he's not paid to be bottom 6, and obviously (one would think) he'd have more success with better players on the top 6...but I just don't see his legs as being ready. Nothing to do with his hands, it's his skating and possible confidence (or lack there of) that worries me.

It wouldn't be the Philadelphia Flyers if they didn't have a goaltending controversy.

I thought too, when we lost Hatcher, Smith and Kapanen...that the veteran leadership was very thin...especially that none of them were replaced. I think that was grossly overlooked. Now is the time when they would be really nice to have. That's why I was hoping we could have gotten Shanahan, for that reason alone.
The Flyers haven't had a good goalie since Bruce Gamble. No wait, Doug Favell.

Old
03-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The Flyers haven't had a good goalie since Bruce Gamble. No wait, Doug Favell.
Awww, poor Hextall.

With the Sabres, Devils, Panthers and Bruins coming up...I have a huge cause for concern with Breire playing more minutes than his groin/hip/confidence will allow. Obviously, only he knows if he's 100% (or as close as can be) but as a fan watching the games at home...he sure as hell doesn't look anywhere close to it.

Old
03-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Cleary84

I'd love to see the old Gags Bre and Ritchie line again, but as it's been said before Danny just isn't up to speed. I personally don't think our second line should be broken up. The only thing we really need to change is our defensive play in all three zones and staying out of the box. Hartnell seriously needs to stop the ********. One of my favorite players and I'm glad he's a Flyer, but the stretch is here and we can't be taking stupid penalties.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:02 AM
supa scoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafuccijr View Post
I personally think we need to just go back to giving this a try.

Gagne - Richards - Briere
Knuble - Carcillo - Lupul
Asham - Powe - Cote
These lines actually look pretty good. Briere has looked pretty slow/bad so far but in very limited minutes. Let's see if he can get back to form with Richie and Gags, if he can't there, he can't anywhere.

Only thing that is worrisome is that 3rd line but... if the first two really click who knows.

supa scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:05 AM
bungle
Casual Observer

I'd like to see him spend some time on a consistent 3rd line - with say Asham and Giroux. He won't get his legs back playing on the 4th line, and right now I don't think he's ready for the top 6.

Nothing really to be gained by rushing him back...having him ready for the playoffs should be the priority.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:27 AM
smokin018

It's time to get Giroux with Richards and Knuble:

Knuble - Richards - Giroux
Hartnell - Carter - Lupul
Gagne - Briere - Carcillo
Asham - Powe - Cote

I am not sure what Gagne has done in the last month to justify his place on that first line, but even with moving to the 3rd he'll have the opportunity to play with Briere and Carcillo.

Also, I wouldn't mess with that Carter line right now...when they are on, they can really light it up. Plus with Giroux with Richards and Knuble will just make those guys even better. I know he's young but for some reason I fell he'll elevate the play of that line moreso than Gange has been....

smokin018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:31 AM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
According to Timmah on CSN, these are the new lines:

Gagne -- Giroux -- Knuble
Briere -- Carter -- Hartnell
Carcillo -- Richards -- Lupul
Asham -- Powe -- Cote

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Talbetts

Why not...
Gags - Briere - Hartnell
Lupul - Carter - Knuble
Carcillo - Richards - Giroux
What - Ev - er
?

Last edited by Talbetts: 03-19-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote