HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jamie Lundmark

Old
03-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Brendl has the skills to be a star, just not the work ethic.

Lundmark on the other hand, appears he went to the Andy Hilbert scoring school. The kid had just no hands. I don't know if was a distinct lack of hockey sense or just getting too flustered, but he would always just shoot into the goalies pads. While picking spots and scoring is always difficult at the NHL, someone just needed to pull him aside and show him how to elevate the puck consistently when shooting from within the hash marks.
It's funny you mention Hilbert in this thread, I remember reading on hockey boards so many "prospect experts" fighting who was going to be the better NHL player, Hilbert or Lundmark. I don't think they were talking 4th line then though........

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
With all this said, how anyone can say, "good for him" or be happy for him is beyond me.

His failure to care set us back a long time. He could be the dominant 1st line center that we have never had since Messier left.

Just never gave a damn.
Lundmark came into camp and lost the last spot to Mike York, I think he was leading the team in scoring in the Preseason of close to it...........i'm not making excuses for him but I really don't think it was that he didn't give a damn, he was never really given a great chance. Brendl gosh I'm not sure what happened to him........I hear he likes junk food too much.

Ahhh the good old days of Brendl and Lundmark.

Old
03-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Fletch

wow - I had thought he was out of the league...

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Fletch

Radek...

Lundmark seemed to have a sense of entitlement of a first rounder. Low actually gave him a lot of chances, including moving him to left wing to take defensive pressures off him as he was a pretty small kid who wsa used to playing it big against 15 year olds in Juniors. He looked good on the wing, but could never sustain anything. In his fist season, I believe the one in which you mention he played well in preseason, he was playing 12-13 minutes per night and getting PP time with no points (or maybe it was one) in 12-13 games to start the season.

Old
03-19-2009, 10:52 AM
94now

Two words: Knee Injury.

Young athletes are not getting it that often, but if they do, that thing impedes their progress to the point that entire career is in question. Lundmark, Klucek, even Prucha have never been the same after it.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Fletch

it depends on the player, 94. If they're driven and focused, they bounce back fine, a la Kovalev in 1997 (yes, Kovalev is driven and focused, believe it or not). Kloucek always had a questionable work ethic. Lundmark didn't, but I just think he never got over not being a star from day one. Prucha - something happened to his hands and eyes, not his legs.

Old
03-19-2009, 01:12 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
At 28 he's had a short hot streak in the NHL. He's only in the NHL because of injuries not because he's a legit NHLer. At this time next year, I really doubt there's going to be any talk about Lundmark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
It's a fluke. He'll come back crashing down to earth a la Voros very soon
Great comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I was disappointed when that deal was made and I still am. Not because I think Lundmark is going to be that great, but because trading him to get Jeff Taffe...well, that doesn't make sense.
You really shouldn't let minor league deals get to you so much. Taffe for Lundmark was really nothing for nothing from an NHL perspective.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 01:29 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
it depends on the player, 94. If they're driven and focused, they bounce back fine, a la Kovalev in 1997 (yes, Kovalev is driven and focused, believe it or not). Kloucek always had a questionable work ethic. Lundmark didn't, but I just think he never got over not being a star from day one. Prucha - something happened to his hands and eyes, not his legs.
Kovy was fully developed by then. Bure could be a better exception, but any rule has some. Prucha was never the same after knee injury. Lundmark was done when Peca(?) run him over.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 01:48 PM
Fletch

wasn't Kovy around the same age as Prucha? He was a month short of his 24th b-day when he injured his knee.

Lundamrk - again, I just saw a small kid who couldn't adjust to the NHL. And if you ever saw Lundmark in person, you would've thought the same. I thought he was a 15 year old with a Lundmark jersey.

Old
03-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Lundmark seemed to have a sense of entitlement of a first rounder. Low actually gave him a lot of chances, including moving him to left wing to take defensive pressures off him as he was a pretty small kid who wsa used to playing it big against 15 year olds in Juniors. He looked good on the wing, but could never sustain anything. In his fist season, I believe the one in which you mention he played well in preseason, he was playing 12-13 minutes per night and getting PP time with no points (or maybe it was one) in 12-13 games to start the season.
Yeah, Lundmark got his chances, but I think he ultimately just wasn't quite as skilled as we were all lead to believe, and him being a lightweight on the ice didn't help either. He didn't have the skill to do it all himself, the hockey sense to be one of those guys who is just smart enough to somehow be in the right place at the right time, or the size to impose his will on opposing players.

He just wasn't as advertised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Two words: Knee Injury.

Young athletes are not getting it that often, but if they do, that thing impedes their progress to the point that entire career is in question. Lundmark, Klucek, even Prucha have never been the same after it.
This could also have had an impact, though it's hard to tell.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 01:54 PM
BwayBshirt

I still remember Lundmark's last game for us at the Capitals.

That careless turnover which led to the game-changing goal & subsequent loss.

Even Renney practically said "Enough!" after that.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Lundmark came into camp and lost the last spot to Mike York, I think he was leading the team in scoring in the Preseason of close to it...........i'm not making excuses for him but I really don't think it was that he didn't give a damn, he was never really given a great chance. Brendl gosh I'm not sure what happened to him........I hear he likes junk food too much.

Ahhh the good old days of Brendl and Lundmark.
Are you serious? He was put on a line with Mark Messier and even he couldn't get Lundmark to play with any heart.

He was a heartless punk who I only wish never got another chance in the NHL.

He didn't deserve it and really ****ed over our franchise by not putting in the effort.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Kiddington
heehats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Brendl gosh I'm not sure what happened to him........I hear he likes junk food too much.
Hot dogs and fast food cheeseburgers, to be specific.

I honestly don't know he even manged to forge such a successful WHL career with that kind of diet. I once ate a cheeseburger before a hockey game because I didn't have much of a choice, and it just about killed me. Judging from past comments, he ate this kind of stuff all the time. To add to all that, he didn't believe in over the summer training. To quote the man himself; "Why should I ruin my summer by training?". I really can't imagine how he actually managed to be a good hockey player, and even now still be playing in somewhat high-calibre leagues (he played in the SEL last year, and scored 30 goals in what is normally a more defensive league). By all accounts, he should be toiling in some 3rd tier league in Belarus or something.

For as bad as Lundmark was, which is who this thread is about obviously, nothing ever compares to scale of epic fail than Pavel Brendl. Well, maybe the Capitals own Alexandre Volchkov would come to mind, but I don't remember him having the same diet that causes most people to be massively overweight. Brendl must have a fast metabolism or something.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Some prospects you can be nostalgic about. Jamie Lundmark is not one of them. I don't hold the same anger about him as Jonathan, but the kid was given EVERY chance to succeed with the Rangers and never stepped up.

My only regret is that they didn't trade him earlier, when he had some value, but that would have been unfeasible considering the Rangers' reputation and how they needed to show the fans that they could give a prospect a chance. There were a lot of other prospects, even Manny Malhotra, who were mishandled and could have contributed, but ultimately Jamie's failings as a Ranger were as much, if not more, his own doing than the organization's.

If he's finally got his brain in gear in Calgary, more power to him, but I barely even think of him as an ex-Ranger.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:38 PM
bleedrngrblue

You gotta be kidding me with this thread....Jamie Qustionmark the topic of a NY Ranger thread.....I think I'm gonna spew! He sucks....he always sucked.....he always will suck! He was touted as the next Roenick/Messier.....maybe when they were pee wee players! Given EVERY opportunity to be succesful....and he BLEW IT! He doesn't even deserve mention on these boards!

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
You gotta be kidding me with this thread....Jamie Qustionmark the topic of a NY Ranger thread.....I think I'm gonna spew! He sucks....he always sucked.....he always will suck! He was touted as the next Roenick/Messier.....maybe when they were pee wee players! Given EVERY opportunity to be succesful....and he BLEW IT! He doesn't even deserve mention on these boards!
lol now there is some first class hate

Old
03-20-2009, 12:51 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Some prospects you can be nostalgic about. Jamie Lundmark is not one of them. I don't hold the same anger about him as Jonathan, but the kid was given EVERY chance to succeed with the Rangers and never stepped up.

My only regret is that they didn't trade him earlier, when he had some value, but that would have been unfeasible considering the Rangers' reputation and how they needed to show the fans that they could give a prospect a chance. There were a lot of other prospects, even Manny Malhotra, who were mishandled and could have contributed, but ultimately Jamie's failings as a Ranger were as much, if not more, his own doing than the organization's.

If he's finally got his brain in gear in Calgary, more power to him, but I barely even think of him as an ex-Ranger.
This about says it all.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 01:04 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I was disappointed when that deal was made and I still am. Not because I think Lundmark is going to be that great, but because trading him to get Jeff Taffe...well, that doesn't make sense. I would have rather kept him around on the off-chance the new team direction might have helped turn his game around. Who knows what might have been if he had stayed. He did a score a goal in one of those first games before they dealt him.
Al Montoya for Leneveau?
I was ok with trading Lundmark (and Montoya) but you would hope that the deal would have been for a better player. You can at least make the argument Prucha and Dawes got dealt for a better player, albeit one who is an impending UFA. The best the Rangers could have done with Lundmark was stick him back in Hartford at the beginning of a season for the season and if he made the team out of camp the following year, he would stick. Unlikely. He was rushed. I'm just glad we aren't really rushing our young players anymore but I also think in some cases we now take too long bringing them up.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 03:42 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I'm not saying he didn't have attitude problems, or that he wasn't as great as we all hoped he'd be. That's all true.

But he was also put into a very difficult situation when he joined the big club. He came up during that awful season where, after Bure went down, they just sucked. That team was crappy, and when Lundmark didn't light it up immediately, he was under some heavy pressure. I think he got frustrated and lost his confidence.

I just really hated the way that ended. I would have rather they kept him than just give him away for nothing.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Draft Guru

I throw up in my mouth every time I think about our top picks from 1998-2004.

Everybody who watched Lundmark in his draft year saw top 6 forward potential. He just needed to get stronger and fill out, but he never was willing to put in the required work to get it done. I knew once he pulled his little tantrum in Moose Jaw and forced a trade to Seattle that there was more problems with him to come.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 06:29 PM
HackandLube

I have to say that Lundmark is a strange player. He's a career AHL or Europe all-star but at the NHL level, he never seemed to have that extra heart to make it long-term.

What he did this season shows that he's getting over the fact that he's not a star and he has to earn his chops and place in the league - 10 years later on.

Basically, he signed for the Flames farm team for the AHL minimum salary which is something under $100,000 as a desperation move for the team to take a chance on him and that gamble paid off as having a salary at the AHL minimum actually exempts a player from waivers when they are brought up and sent down! This meant that he would be the first player called up in terms of injury. It took most of the season but the Flames injuries now means that he got his chance and he is making the most of it. But this is a guy who is now getting to play on the upper lines and even the 2nd unit powerplay. He's useless as a 3rd/4th liner in the NHL. He's just a goalscorer and any lower he seems to lose it. He's impressed Flames fans quite a bit though, with the drive he's shown. He's desperate to stay on after seasons in Russia and the AHL and it might finally be doing something to his worth ethic after 10 years in the league.

Both his earlier work ethic and player development were screwed up. He was rushed and groomed to be a star - by his ego and the Rangers. He could never live up to those expectations and busted. He should have started his career with a few seasons in the AHL. It took him a decade to get the AHL time he needed. As a Flames watcher, I hope his maturity can last long term now and he's really impressed a lot of people here. He's even getting oohs and ahhs during games when he's fighting and skating with the puck in the corners of all things.

Last edited by HackandLube: 03-20-2009 at 06:35 PM.
HackandLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 08:11 PM
trilobyte

It is a different Jamie Lundmark that is seen now. I definitely remember how excited Rangers fans were about him, and I think he had a 2 goal game with the team in 2003. Mentally or emotionally or character-wise, he wasn't ready.

I saw him play recently, and he plays like a guy who realizes that now he better make an impression if he wants even a chance in hell of sticking in the NHL. He never did that before; he never wanted it enough. He does have talent, not topline talent but definitely he could be a third or fourth liner on some clubs. I can at least see that he has some skill, sense, some moves. True, it could all vanish. But I actually believe he is really trying now, before, not so much.

I am not overly concerned about Lundmark. He didn't really take care of things on his end, it's not like he was treated unfairly or was a victim of circumstance. I figured I would never hear of the guy again, until the Flames started bringing him up from Quad Cities.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Chris 84

He'd be a good addition to the Hartford roster.

I'd be very surprised if he keeps up any kind of form. I've been critical about a whole lot of decisions by our franchise but even if Lundmark became an established, decent NHL'er I can't blame the organisation for this one cos he was pretty crap for a long long time.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 12:40 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Fluke. It won't last.

I'll never forget what I think was the one and only time they ever had an NHL Draft party at MSG. We got Brendl and Lundmark and I was absolutely ecstatic. I figured we were set for the next 15 years. Yeah, somehow that didn't happen.

The guy wasn't good for us, I don't miss him and to be honest, I don't even know where he would play on this team.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote