HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers, Torts Take Long View On Roster

Old
03-19-2009, 10:09 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
What is our Rangers/Coyotes friend talking about?Zherdev has played better under Torts in the last 3 weeks than he did in the three previous weeks under Renney.He scored 2 big goals against Boston and Montreal in the last 10 days.
I was worried about the benching, as is known. But he responded VERY well to it.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Please let this be code for Gomez will be gone this summer, please.

Radek27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:12 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Please let this be code for Gomez will be gone this summer, please.
Why?

He has been great lately.

Who are you replacing him with?

Old
03-19-2009, 10:13 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Roszival has no trade restictions and $7 million of the $20 million has already been paid by the Rangers.3 years/$13 million.SJ moved Rivet with 3 years remaining at $10.5 million for a pick last summer.

Naslund has a NMC.Does he fit into the system?He has looked lost and out of place except for the shootout goal against Jim Carey.One year remaining on his contract.$4million cap and $3 million salary for 09-10.Naslund has no ties to the NY area so as long as it's good team,he won't reject a trade.

The Rangers talked to other teams about Gomez this season.Pierre McGuire,Larry Brooks and Pierre LeBrun all reported it.Continue to play well and increase his market value.

It appears Torts really likes Drury so............

Quote:
Tortorella wasn't acquainted with Drury when he arrived last month, but their relationship is growing, too.

"I've watched him play before, he knows how to win," Tortorella said. "He cares, he almost cares too much. He's had the pressure on his shoulders, it's been a struggle here the last little while. I just want him to loosen up and play . . . I'm beginning to get to know him, he's beginning to get to know me. That's the stuff we're going through with all the players
."
http://www.newsday.com/services/news...,4472289.story

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I hope both Naslund and Rozsival are moved.

Rozsival could bring back a nice pick.

Naslund, on a one year deal, could bring back something halfway decent as well.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:17 AM
showjaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
IMO, the "player they'd like to keep but will lose" is Rozsival.
I can't imagine why they would like to keep him, but then again I couldn't imagine why Sather re-signed him to begin with. He plays like he is time traveling and when the puck hits his stick, he doesn't know where he is, who he is, or what he's supposed to do.

showjaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:19 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
What is our Rangers/Coyotes friend talking about?Zherdev has played better under Torts in the last 3 weeks than he did in the three previous weeks under Renney.He scored 2 big goals against Boston and Montreal in the last 10 days.
Sure he has scored but he has made bad decisions. He passes the puck up the middle whether there are opposing players there or not which can lead to turnovers. His decisions lead to turnovers alot.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:20 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Why?

How do you sign the rest of the players when you have 2 centers making $7 million per?The cap is going to decrease for the following season,how will the Rangers be able to keep most of their current players and have enough money to re-sign Staal and Girardi when they are group II's next summer(2010)with the cap expected to decrease.Something has to give.

Old
03-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Does this mean Sather's going to abandon his long term plan? Is that an admission that it's not going work? Was it designed to work only with Renney? Is it a change because that how Sather's feeling at the moment?

I don't know. Seems like chasing your tail to me.
I think its a "excuse" to dump some players. Like you said below, you don't sign a player to a 7 year contract and then dump him. That would raise some eyebrowns in lockerrooms all across the league. Sign with the Rangers as a UFA and you could end up in a living nightmare in the minors in a hurry...

I think thats what Dallas did with Avery more then anything, created an excuse to get rid of him, for example. Sure Avery passed a line, didn't mesh with the lockerroom et c.

But if Slats can send out a message that Redden/Rozsival/Drury/Gomez just doesn't fit into the new coachs plans it might soften the hit on our reputation.

RangerBoy- It sounds very credible that Slats called around about Gomez -- but isn't that kind of his mo? I don't think we can draw conclusions of that that its Gomez who will go. If I know Slats right he called around and asked for the moon in return for Gomez...

He did the same thing with JJ in 07'.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Why?

Give me the list of free agents, it's not really that hard. Thats not even talking about who could be available in a trade. There is no way we can keep all these salaries and Gomez and Rozy are the two mist likely to go unless we can find a taker on Redden.

The word GREAT gets tossed around wayyyyy too much in here, or our standard for greatness has really been lowered here in Rangerland.

Radek27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:27 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Sure he has scored but he has made bad decisions. He passes the puck up the middle whether there are opposing players there or not which can lead to turnovers. His decisions lead to turnovers alot.
High risk/high reward.Safe is death.Isn't that the mantra by Tortorella?

Old
03-19-2009, 10:30 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Turnovers happen.

You can't stifle creativity because turnovers might happen.

This is the reason why Renney wanted his defensemen playing a conservative game. Because having them pinch leaves your team susceptible to odd man rushes in the event of a turn over.

This is something we KNEW would happen with Tortorella.

The real issue is not that Zherdev turns the puck over sometimes, it is why do the defenseman not play aggressively against odd man rushes? It has happened numerous times, even on the goal against that Zherdev was benched for... the defenseman were TOO passive.

People either want more offensive creativity and talent, or they don't. Can't have it both ways. With the skill and reckless abandon upfront, comes the consequences of odd man rushes.

You think guys like Callahan don't turn the puck over? EVERYONE on this team turns the puck over. It is up to the other 5 guys (including the goaltender) on the ice to step up if the puck is turned over.

Zherdev provides something this team needs and without it they would not be where they are right now. He provides unpredictability with the puck. He has the ability to look one way and do something completely different with the puck.

His passes more often are on target. The minute occasions that he does happen to turn it over are more glaring because you are LOOKING for that kind of player to turn it over.

Why is it that no one says anything when Staal turns the puck over in the DEFENSIVE zone? Because he is not expected to do it, but he does do it often.

Old
03-19-2009, 10:31 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I think its a "excuse" to dump some players.
Absolutely. The coach change is a cover for Sather when he would try to undo the harm he has caused.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:34 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
High risk/high reward.Safe is death.Isn't that the mantra by Tortorella?
Making passes up the middle in the defensive zone is stupid when opposition players are looking for a turnover...even Tortorella wouldn't want that.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:40 AM
94now

Quote:
Turnovers happen.

You can't stifle creativity because turnovers might happen.

This is the reason why Renney wanted his defensemen playing a conservative game. Because having them pinch leaves your team susceptible to odd man rushes in the event of a turn over.

This is something we KNEW would happen with Tortorella.

The real issue is not that Zherdev turns the puck over sometimes, it is why do the defenseman not play aggressively against odd man rushes? It has happened numerous times, even on the goal against that Zherdev was benched for... the defenseman were TOO passive.

People either want more offensive creativity and talent, or they don't. Can't have it both ways. With the skill and reckless abandon upfront, comes the consequences of odd man rushes.

You think guys like Callahan don't turn the puck over? EVERYONE on this team turns the puck over. It is up to the other 5 guys (including the goaltender) on the ice to step up if the puck is turned over.

Zherdev provides something this team needs and without it they would not be where they are right now. He provides unpredictability with the puck. He has the ability to look one way and do something completely different with the puck.

His passes more often are on target. The minute occasions that he does happen to turn it over are more glaring because you are LOOKING for that kind of player to turn it over.

Why is it that no one says anything when Staal turns the puck over in the DEFENSIVE zone? Because he is not expected to do it, but he does do it often.
No one knows why Z was benched. Never in his career Torts benched or otherwise punished people for errors. He did when player was not doing what he wanted for some reason. May be Zherdev was offended with demotion to 3rd line and said something. That would be enough for him to spark the bench boss.
Turnover was a crime with Renney, it should not be so with Tortorella or players will not support him.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:41 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Give me the list of free agents, it's not really that hard. Thats not even talking about who could be available in a trade. There is no way we can keep all these salaries and Gomez and Rozy are the two mist likely to go unless we can find a taker on Redden.

The word GREAT gets tossed around wayyyyy too much in here, or our standard for greatness has really been lowered here in Rangerland.
The guys we would want via free agency, are not available this year.

Kovalchuk, Nash, Frolov... just to name a few.

And by that time Naslund's 4 mil comes off the books. If you can move Gomez or another contract before the summer in 2010 you can possibly have one of the guys you REALLY want.

If Sather wants to ask Naslund to waive his NTC then that would be a way to go.

Old
03-19-2009, 10:44 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Making passes up the middle in the defensive zone is stupid when opposition players are looking for a turnover...even Tortorella wouldn't want that.
He hasn't done that though...

The turn over that resulted in a goal was in the offensive zone, and it it wasn't sucha horrid turn over either, he had the point man, and the opposing winger picked it off...

Where was Girardi on the play? He didn't do anything but poke check...

Zherdev has not turned the puck over in the defensive zone in the way you are mentioning... Gomez has though.

Old
03-19-2009, 10:52 AM
coolbean04

Quote:
If you are the GM for another team,which player is more appealing?Shorter contract with 30%-40% of it already paid by the Rangers or a 5 year contract?One of them have to go.Both contracts have to go but start with Roszival first and then worry about Redden.
Uh, last time I checked, your point doesn't matter. Who cares who's more appealing? You keep Rozi and you send Redden to Hartford. Why do you have to decide who's easier to trade?

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:52 AM
coolbean04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Because everyone is resigned to the fact that Redden and his contract are unmovable. Someone will take Rosy off our hands.
Send Redden to Hartford, problem fixed.

Old
03-19-2009, 10:54 AM
coolbean04

Quote:
Because it is unlikely there is a team and a GM stupid enough to take on Redden's contract. We would all love for him to be gone but its not going to happen.
Are you kidding me, 3 posts in a row that doesn't know that we can send Redden to Hartford??????????

Old
03-19-2009, 11:08 AM
showjaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
Are you kidding me, 3 posts in a row that doesn't know that we can send Redden to Hartford??????????

Uh, last I checked the AHL has a salary cap of 10million.

Congrats on being able to make 3 posts in a row though.

showjaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

Yeah, signing UFA's has worked out great for us in the past.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Or 3 people who are actually realistic in their expectations.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:49 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Uh, last time I checked, your point doesn't matter. Who cares who's more appealing? You keep Rozi and you send Redden to Hartford. Why do you have to decide who's easier to trade?
Uh,can you walk and chew gum at the same time?I would say no.You just don't understand.

Old
03-19-2009, 11:50 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR censored View Post
Uh, last I checked the AHL has a salary cap of 10million.

Congrats on being able to make 3 posts in a row though.
The AHL has a salary cap

People