HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Canadiens @ Ottawa Senators 7:30 PM RDS (HD)

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Gary320

vCash: 500
Off-topic for a bit.

Some moron on CKAC says that he would not take Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Hossa, Malkin ever in his team because they wont show up in the playoffs and that he would take a North American before any of those guys.

Old
03-19-2009, 11:58 AM
MJN79

I think the Sens come out flying in this one and the difference will be the Sens capitalizing on their PP's. Lappy and Lats will have a big game, it will be a close one but I see the Sens beating us. The Habs will bounce back on Saturday.

I cant believe I am so negative but its been 2 months I pick the Habs to beat everyone and im on the losing end. Hopefully I am wrong tonight.

I just hope Price can deliver a big performance again.

Old
03-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Frankenheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Umm yeah you did watch the last few games right? Price is not the reason, we all can agree it is a defensive problem, our guys are not hard enough on opposing players in front, are not getting the puck moved out quickly or effectively and need to clear out rebounds better. Either of the goalies are in and we get the same results.
Since we are sitting the guys that are to blame we are gonna need a few more defensemen from somewhere.
This argument is starting to become weaker in my opinion. The argument being, it's not Price's fault.

At some point, events become correlated (Price in nets, team playing poorly and losing), and then you have to make decisions based on that correlation even though it seems that Price is not directly a cause for the loss.

Take a scenario where a goalie plays well but loses all his games. Then a goalie that plays less well (which isn't the case with Halak by the way, just the opposite) and wins all his games. Do you continue going with the goalie you perceive to be performing better? Or maybe you go searching for other explanations. Maybe the team is performing systematically differently because of Price.....Maybe the team doesn't trust Price right now and overcompensates or takes risks they might not otherwise take. Maybe he has effects on the team that are not always apparent, but become apparent only after examining the larger picture of wins and losses.

That's the reason coaches get axed, because of wins and losses. That's the bottom line and the goalie, for better of for worse, is a major cause of this result. Halak, on the same team, under the same conditions, and over a stable period of time (2 months) has significantly more wins and much less losses. Is it just a fluke or statistical anomaly? Is that what people think? I guess I don't think that and it makes me somehow a Price hater. I don't hate the guy, I like him. But the evidence must direct our decisions, not what we hope and feel might happen.

Old
03-19-2009, 12:12 PM
x-bob

I haven't made a prediction in a GDT in a long time but I have a good feeling for this one.

4-1 Habs

The team has been playing consistantly better but they can't seem to put together a convincing win and this will be the night. We will come out flying (like against the Rangers) and score an early first goal. The last one will be an empty net.

Old
03-19-2009, 12:27 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
If I went with the evidence alone, not my emotions, not with conventional wisdom, but on evidence, the answer would be Halak.

The #1 goalie argument is a poor one when it comes to Price. It would work with say an established goalie with a proven track record, Roy, Luongo, etc. The fact is Price hasn't show he's a number 1 goalie yet, by which I mean:

1) Playing one full season of solid hockey.
2) Not being a reason for getting bounced from the playoffs.

He's a number 1 goalie only in title for now. Once he shows he can handle the pressure and full workload and not draw attention to his emotional fragility, he will be number 1, but that will be based on evidence not appointment.

Your second argument is just as weak in my opinion. He won a round of hockey against the number 8 seed, and against a team the Habs had gone 8-0 against during the regular season. He merely did his job in winning that round, albeit in seven games.

The next round is widely regarded as a failure for Price.

We need a goalie with the potential of stealing rounds, and based on the evidence, I'm going with Halak. I sincerely hope the kid turns it around and starts winning games, but I suspect he won't. But when he does, I will defend him based on the evidence, not what I imagine Price is.
My argument was based on experience of a goalie and he trumps Halak which can't be refuted. Like it or not he's the number 1 goalie, whether be it from title, playing-time, experience or a bumper sticker. So you're gonna have to live with that. That was made clear after they traded Huet. If Price couldn't handle being a starter, rest assured Huet wouldn't have gone anywhere.

You argue Halak MAY steal some playoff rounds based on his play. Well you're putting your eggs on HOPE that he becomes stellar during the playoffs yet he has just as much chance to struggle as Price did last playoffs. Price was nothing short of spectacular closing the regular season last year yet struggled in the post-season due to his inexperience. Why would you put in another rookie when you already have a goaltender whose already been there and is hungry to redeem last season's loss?

I don't know how you can diminish the Boston win. The only difference with this year's Bruins version from last year is Michael Ryder. That was a good team Price beat. A motivated team that he shut out in game 7 when all the momentum was swinging the other way. That's huge.

There was nothing in your post that argues that Halak should be the goalie of choice over Price for a playoff push other than "he's been playing well, he can PROBABLY steal some rounds". This "evidence" your talking about means f&ck all in the postseason since Price showed the same promise based on the same regular season "evidence".

You chose unwisely.

Old
03-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

Quote:
The Senators' top line of Dany Heatley, Jason Spezza and Daniel Alfredsson has picked it up offensively, combining for 27 points in its past seven games, but Brian Elliott has really carried the team. The rookie goaltender is 6-0-0 with a 2.12 goals-against average since March 5.
Goalie battle again tonight.

Old
03-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
The Plekanec line is going to score 6 goals tonight! 3 for Kost,2 for Kovy and Pleks with the other

8-0 Habs

Old
03-19-2009, 12:42 PM
kovaless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
The Plekanec line is going to score 6 goals tonight! 3 for Kost,2 for Kovy and Pleks with the other

8-0 Habs

I will send you a 20.00 cheque if it's 8-0

Old
03-19-2009, 12:43 PM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
God it pisses me off to see Halak stand on his head for 10 games and keep the team in a playoff race and then have to sit on the bench to let Price start and lose games.

I'm all for giving Price a few games here and there to get out of his slump, but if the kid isn't winning and we need to win games, why keep playing him??? Halak was winning games for the Habs, which is what they need, and now he's sitting on the bench instead of Price?? It makes no sense to me.
Last 10? Halak was standing on his head while stinking the joint out against Calgaray and Atlanta (9 goals combined in 80 minutes). Despite the 4-game streak, he's only 6-4 in his last 10 and has a 3.20 avg and .921 save percentage. Not quite as heroic a performance as you might think. Good save percentage if you want to talk about that, but Price is .936 over his last 5 games. I don't understand the outrage.

I bet you are actually hoping the Habs lose tonight because Price is playing?

Old
03-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovaless View Post
I will send you a 20.00 cheque if it's 8-0
no matter who wins?perfect I got a great chance,go sens

Old
03-19-2009, 12:49 PM
The Rocket

OMG..its not either goalies fault for any losses...ya wanna blame someone its the lazy skaters on the team if anything...plus most of the team is unsigned and don`t even know who is going to be in Montreal next year...Montreal is a transeit team much like the Rangers last year...NO identity...

Old
03-19-2009, 12:50 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
He had 4 wins in a row, but he has provided solid goaltending for his last 10 games or more. He has been the better goalie since the All-star break so why does he have to sit??

Yes Price might be the FUTURE of the team, but he isn't playing like it lately so sit him on the damn bench and use the goalie that deserves to play based on his performances over the last 2 months.
Goaltending is not the problem.
We routinely get outshot.
We routinely get outchanced.
We routinely lose important face-offs.
We routinely get out muscled, out-worked and out-hit.

None of this slump has been on goaltending. The only games we've won this season despite our 8-1-1 record and when Halak came in for Price during his first injury, have been because of goaltending. We're in the Tavares cup if it hasn't been for Price or Halak this season. So maybe people should stop scrutinizing goaltending because that's all they can do because they lack applicable hockey knowledge in every other aspect of the game. Most of you don't even know what a bad goal really is because you don't even have applicable knowledge of goaltending. So why don't you guys just keep quiet about the goaltending because it is the very least of our worries now and in the future.

Old
03-19-2009, 12:50 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Umm yeah you did watch the last few games right? Price is not the reason, we all can agree it is a defensive problem, our guys are not hard enough on opposing players in front, are not getting the puck moved out quickly or effectively and need to clear out rebounds better. Either of the goalies are in and we get the same results.
Since we are sitting the guys that are to blame we are gonna need a few more defensemen from somewhere.

This is true, but who the **** is going to be the tough guy..Breezer, Marky, Schneider, Hamrlik, Gorges....? LMAO that is soft man, real soft and that is our major problem right now. The opponent is not scared to go to the net, because well, we are soft on D.

Old
03-19-2009, 12:51 PM
kovaless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
no matter who wins?perfect I got a great chance,go sens
Why not make it interesting, no matter who wins

Old
03-19-2009, 12:54 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc2005 View Post
Last 10? Halak was standing on his head while stinking the joint out against Calgaray and Atlanta (9 goals combined in 80 minutes). Despite the 4-game streak, he's only 6-4 in his last 10 and has a 3.20 avg and .921 save percentage. Not quite as heroic a performance as you might think. Good save percentage if you want to talk about that, but Price is .936 over his last 5 games. I don't understand the outrage.

I bet you are actually hoping the Habs lose tonight because Price is playing?
he and many others here are actually doing this !
it makes this place so much more interesting no ?

Old
03-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Come on, boys. Solid game... please ?

Old
03-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
2-0 Ottawa. The Senators outshoot us 52-6. Seven "Price sucks" threads are posted after the game.

Old
03-19-2009, 01:00 PM
The Chef*

important game for your club tonight.

good luck.

Old
03-19-2009, 01:02 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
2-0 Ottawa. The Senators outshoot us 52-6. Seven "Price sucks" threads are posted after the game.

I lol, but this will actually happen here even if we win 4-0 !

Old
03-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Frankenheimer

For the record, I'm hoping the Habs win and I don't think Price sucks at all, only that over the last few months his performance is not that great compared to Halak. I think Gainey is making a mistake in putting so much pressure on him but I guess he knows better.

Old
03-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Frankenheimer

For those preferring Price over Halak, what is the justification at this point? The evidence suggests one goalie is performing better than the other over a relatively long stretch, and that Price has not yet shown at the NHL level that he deserves the benefit of the doubt, in the same way that Carboneau's stellar performance last year and earlier this year was insufficient to justify continuing with him now. I wish I could understand the argument for Price over Halak, but as an empirically minded individual, I can't.

Old
03-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Capitano

The final score will be 3-1 with an empty netter.

Old
03-19-2009, 01:16 PM
HotHabsFan*

**** this is annoying !!!!

Old
03-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Habs win 3-1.

Goals from Pacioretty, Kovalev and Plekanec.

Old
03-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Habs

3-1 Habs! The good luck.gif is back!
/

Closed Thread