HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stevens ponders changes for Flyers

Old
03-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Opus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I applaud any move that attempts to shake this team out of its complacency.

As for Briere, if the problem is all in his head (i.e. his groin is 100%) then he should be playing on a scoring line. If he's forced to compete by being on a line with Richards and Gagne, for example, his confidence will increase in time.
I don't mind shaking things up, but doing so could result in potential lost points...something we can ill afford at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
yeah and even Kunitz with the way hes playing for them,
pass.
Yep. That should be a very interesting game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
I really like that third line. Putting Carcillo with Richards is a good idea (for now) and having Lupul play with two very intense linemates is a winner in my book as well. Let's see how this plays out...
I don't see why you'd want to bump the teams leading scorer from the 1st line to the 3rd...but hey, that's just me.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 02:34 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I don't mind shaking things up, but doing so could result in potential lost points...something we can ill afford at this point.
Keeping things status quo could result in lost points as well.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Keeping things status quo could result in lost points as well.
Absolutely, and I'm not opposed to change. If the lines that BWAVgal posted are correct, I don't like them.

Quote:
Gagne -- Giroux -- Knuble
Briere -- Carter -- Hartnell
Carcillo -- Richards -- Lupul
Asham -- Powe -- Cote
I don't see how moving the leading scorer to the 3rd line is productive. Having said that, if it works and the team succeeds, I'll be the first one having a drink to it.

Old
03-19-2009, 02:44 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
I don't see how moving the leading scorer to the 3rd line is productive. Having said that, if it works and the team succeeds, I'll be the first one having a drink to it.
If you knew anything about this team (which you do), then you would know that being on the 3rd line doesn't mean that it hurts your ice time.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 02:54 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Absolutely, and I'm not opposed to change. If the lines that BWAVgal posted are correct, I don't like them.

Hartnell-Carter-Lupul
Gagne-Briere-Giroux
Carcillo-Richards-Knuble
Cote-Powe-Asham

After Carcillo was acquired, these were the lines I said I'd like to see, mainly because Richards has proven he can play with just about anyone.

As long as they're firing on all cylinders come playoff time, though, I could care less what the combinations are.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 03:00 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards View Post
If you knew anything about this team (which you do), then you would know that being on the 3rd line doesn't mean that it hurts your ice time.

Exactly, these lines would be more like:

Gagne -- Giroux -- Knuble / Briere -- Carter -- Hartnell / Carcillo -- Richards -- Lupul

Asham -- Powe -- Cote

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Opus

Quote:
When I said productive, I wasn't talking about ice time.

Old
03-19-2009, 03:14 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
When I said productive, I wasn't talking about ice time.
Then what does it matter? Richards knows that he will still get the ice time. He moves onto a line with someone who he has worked well with before in the past, and a guy who plays a crashing style. Who knows, maybe Richards will bring out more offensively out of Carcillo, he's done it with players in the past.

If it doesn't work, I'm sure Stevens will change it to something that does.

Old
03-19-2009, 03:18 PM
freakydallas13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
According to Timmah on CSN, these are the new lines:

Asham -- Powe -- Cote
thats actually not that bad. Gagne and Knubes can help lift giroux, while briere can set up carter and hartnell can make them some space. Richards and Lupul together has worked before, plus carcillo is on that line, hopefully he can go in the corners for those 2. each line has a passer, a shooter, and a grinder.

freakydallas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 03:20 PM
tytech

Gagne -- Richards -- Giroux
Hartnell -- Carter -- Lupul
Asham -- Briere -- Knuble
Carcillo -- Powe -- Kalinski

Asham should be up higher than Carcillo.

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Opus

Quote:
Then what does it matter? Richards knows that he will still get the ice time. He moves onto a line with someone who he has worked well with before in the past, and a guy who plays a crashing style. Who knows, maybe Richards will bring out more offensively out of Carcillo, he's done it with players in the past.

If it doesn't work, I'm sure Stevens will change it to something that does.
I never said it wouldn't work, I said I don't like the thought of it. If it works, I will be all for it...which I also said. Looking at it here on my computer and from what I've seen from home on tv...I don't like it. It's a mixed emotion, because much like I said we needed Biron to the better goalie and get him going before the playoffs...this is similar. It's in the Flyers best interest to get Briere going, having said that...I don't like the way the way he's playing (mainly skating) and I see Giroux more deserving of the promotion (at this juncture) than I do Briere. However, I'm not the coach, nor do I claim to be one.

I'm just saying, that right now, today...I don't like it.

I'll be the first to applaude and support it if it works, as I couldn't give a cats meow who plays where and with who...so long as the Flyers win.

Old
03-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech View Post

No, he shouldn't. We traded for Carcillo with the intention that he's a cheaper third line player than Upshall. We didn't trade Upshall so we could add a 4th line player and move another one up to a scoring line.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 03:47 PM
JSTAFF

Quote:

I highly dislike them lines. But what do i know

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 03:56 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
I never said it wouldn't work, I said I don't like the thought of it. If it works, I will be all for it...which I also said. Looking at it here on my computer and from what I've seen from home on tv...I don't like it. It's a mixed emotion, because much like I said we needed Biron to the better goalie and get him going before the playoffs...this is similar. It's in the Flyers best interest to get Briere going, having said that...I don't like the way the way he's playing (mainly skating) and I see Giroux more deserving of the promotion (at this juncture) than I do Briere. However, I'm not the coach, nor do I claim to be one.

I'm just saying, that right now, today...I don't like it.

I'll be the first to applaude and support it if it works, as I couldn't give a cats meow who plays where and with who...so long as the Flyers win.
It seems as though we aren't arguing about anything in particular here

Old
03-19-2009, 03:56 PM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
No, he shouldn't. We traded for Carcillo with the intention that he's a cheaper third line player than Upshall. We didn't trade Upshall so we could add a 4th line player and move another one up to a scoring line.
Who cares what we made trades for. You place them on their play. We pay Briere money that warrants a top line center position, doesn't mean he deserves to be there.

Asham has been one of our best players lately. He deserves more of an offensive role than Carcillo does, regardless of their "projection". Carcillo was a dumb trade and as much as we've tried to embrace him, he's lost in the shuffle with the other 4th line players here.

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 03:59 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:

I don't think Briere is ready to be a center right now, infact I wouldn't mind at all if Giroux is our center for the next couple years while Briere is on the wing.

And Carcillo should be higher than Asham-wow, no matter how cool of a nickname that is and how good he's been the past few games.

Old
03-19-2009, 04:16 PM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
According to Timmah on CSN, these are the new lines:

Asham -- Powe -- Cote
i'd be interested to see how these lines work out.

have to admit ive been kind of underwhealmed from carcillo. though i know we were mostly killing penalties those games but still.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Opus

Quote:
It seems as though we aren't arguing about anything in particular here
Who's arguing?

I don't think we ever discussing the same thing, right from the get go.

Old
03-19-2009, 04:27 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

I had been getting a chuckle out of telling friends that the Flyers had the highest paid 4th line center in the history of the NHL.

Joke goes *poof!*.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 04:29 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Im fine with either Richards or Knuble Mmoving down.

Giroux with Richards would be great

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 05:17 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1170
A few post-practice quotes:

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet...399&feedID=695
Quote:

The Flyers had a 2-0 lead at Detroit on Tuesday in a game that they were being badly outshot and outplayed. They wilted in the third period when the Red Wings ratcheted up with more physical play and their best players decided it was time to make the Flyers go away. There’s a lesson to be learned there between what makes the defending Stanley Cup champions who they are, versus who everyone else is.

“The last couple games, we haven’t created scoring chances, offensively,” Gagne said. “We don’t shoot the puck enough. We’re not spending enough time in offensive zone.

“By doing this, sometimes, I don’t know it will not last the rest of season, but sometimes, a little bit of change will bring that energy to things you are looking for.”

Kidding aside, Richards said he liked the idea of tearing apart and rearranging the lineup.

“It gives us more depth, kind of spreads things out a little bit more,” he said. “Allows different people to be on the ice different times where you don’t need to line match and things like that.”

Stevens is big on “pairs.” Richards and Lupul had chemistry last season when they played with R.J. Umberger. Gagne-Knuble is a pair that remains intact. Carter-Hartnell is another pair that remains intact. So, there is some method to Steven’s March Madness.

“I don’t think anyone is being demoted as much as finding new combinations that work,” Lupul offered.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 05:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Danny looks lost out there.
That happens when you're linemates on the 4th line's main focus is to not give up a goal, and are hanging out by the circles when the puck is in the offensive zone.

They talk about cutting Richards' ice time, I'm not so sure that's a bad thing. Stevens is the one always talking about how he rolls 4 lines, even though he really doesn't. If Briere is going to play 4th line, his role should be to spell Richards, Carter and Giroux to give those guys a shift off, which is something he's been doing. Especially with as much PK time as those guys log. His ice time is still on par with the other skill players on the team, he had 16 minutes on Tuesday

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Ychocky

Richie's last 5 games are:

21:37
19:57
21:34
21:36
18:52

Something I'm noticing is that he's forcing the play a bit to much and trying that extra move.

Cut ice time with extended time on the point on the PP could be an option.

Like it or not Briere is a player on this team. A player who is a dynamic scorer in this league. At some point we have to get him going with the other skilled players on the team.

Ychocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Mota

There are so many things you can do with this team in terms of lines...i hate the idea of breaking up the current ones because theyve been so good all year...but in an effort for a shake up...

Gagne-Briere-Giroux
Hartnell-Richards-Carcillo
Knuble-Carter-Lupul

something like that? id love for any team to go up against that richards line lol.

Another option is just to waive cote already, move carcillo with powe and asham...then you have a very very strong 4th line. As for the open top 9 spot...maybe give ross or nodl a try really get their offense going at the nhl level.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 06:14 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
There are so many things you can do with this team in terms of lines...i hate the idea of breaking up the current ones because theyve been so good all year...but in an effort for a shake up...

Gagne-Briere-Giroux
Hartnell-Richards-Carcillo
Knuble-Carter-Lupul

something like that? id love for any team to go up against that richards line lol.

Another option is just to waive cote already, move carcillo with powe and asham...then you have a very very strong 4th line. As for the open top 9 spot...maybe give ross or nodl a try really get their offense going at the nhl level.
I doubt there's any way Carcillo plays on the 2nd line. Or if he does, this team is more screwed than we can imagine.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote