HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs sign Olivier Fortier

Old
03-19-2009, 02:22 PM
plafleur10

vCash: 500
We will all have the pleasure of watching him in the Memorial Cup, as his team is the host team...

plafleur10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Iwishihadacup

if he wins the memorial cup this season, we will have another memorial cup winner captain

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Not big enough for Michel Villeneuve. Just said that he's a good kid but too small to be one of our centermen. As if, Fortier was going to play next year in the bigs, as if when he'll be ready, we won't have bigger centermen at the time.

So for whoever thinks that everybody will shut up 'cause we just sign a guy from Quebec....well better luck next time....

Seems to me that Michel Villeneuve favorite player has to be Kevin Veilleux. Wouldn't be surprise to see Fortier in the NHL before Veilleux though.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 02:27 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
We will all have the pleasure of watching him in the Memorial Cup, as his team is the host team...
Rimouski won like 20 games out of their last 21. They could be good contenders in front of their home crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not big enough for Michel Villeneuve. Just said that he's a good kid but too small to be one of our centermen. As if, Fortier was going to play next year in the bigs, as if when he'll be ready, we won't have bigger centermen at the time.
Villeneuve: what a looser ! He's gonna cry after that, that the Habs don't have enough kids from Quebec !!!!

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-19-2009 at 06:42 PM.
CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Jigger77

I don't know why you guys are so hard on Michel Villeneuve. I think he's a level headed brilliant hockey mind in the making. His point of view is very mature and I think he'd be GM material in the NHL if it weren't for his fantastic job as a hockey analyst.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevanos View Post
this guy is french but he wasn't drafted either.

doUcY
He was drafted...unless this is some sort of joke or something.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 02:46 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I don't know why you guys are so hard on Michel Villeneuve. I think he's a level headed brilliant hockey mind in the making. His point of view is very mature and I think he'd be GM material in the NHL if it weren't for his fantastic job as a hockey analyst.

Sure. The guy coached his sons at Pee-Wee level and he is following hockey since 45 years, minimum. He is more than competent... !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 02:48 PM
shiftycanuck
Habby Habitants

Directly from Hockey Futures: After he was drafted

3rd round (65th overall)
Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL
5’11, 168 pounds, DOB: May 2, 1989

The first of Montreal’s two third-round selections, obtained in the Richard Zednik trade with Washington, was used on a player who is the polar opposite of the mercurial, streaky player for whom the pick was traded

Olivier Fortier enjoyed a breakthrough season with the Oceanic this year (2006-07), accounting for 28 goals and 36 assists in 69 games. And while the offense is nice, it’s the other parts of his game that really excite the Canadiens.

“At every level he plays, his coaches can’t say enough good things about him,” Timmins said. “They know each and every time he steps on the ice what they’re going to get. He’s a low-maintenance player. He’s a solid two-way player – I can’t say he has any real weaknesses.”

In fact, Timmins sees a lot of a current Hab in him.

“He’s got that twinkle in his eye – he’s going to be a player,” he said. “The last guy that I saw with that look was Maxime Lapierre.”

Fortier is in great shape – unfortunately it’s the wrong one. “His dad is a marathon runner, so he’s been training along the lines of cardio and fitness levels. That will be adjusted,” Timmins explained.

Like Lapierre, Fortier has a solid perspective on what his long-term role will be.

“I think in the NHL I’ll be on the fourth line or third line, because of my defensive game,” Fortier said. “But I also have some offensive skill so I can jump on the first two lines. I’m a two-way player. I’ll do what I have to do to play.”

The following 2007-08 season he was not as productive offensively as he scored 46 points (23 goals) in 67 games, but would go on to win the Guy Carboneau Trophy as the leagues top defensive forward.

Also, as team captain this season, he potted 35 pts (8 goals) in only 29 games, with an impressive 19 in Rimouski's final 11 games, Rimouski winning 10 of 11. Will captain the Oceanic into the Memorial Cup this season as the tournament host.

Last edited by shiftycanuck: 03-19-2009 at 02:54 PM.
shiftycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:

So for whoever thinks that everybody will shut up 'cause we just sign a guy from Quebec....well better luck next time....

Seems to me that Michel Villeneuve favorite player has to be Kevin Veilleux. Wouldn't be surprise to see Fortier in the NHL before Veilleux though.
Did you really expect anything else from him?

Anyways I'm not sure about Fortier being in this league before Veilleux simply because Veilleux is a goal scorer and the Pens can use him on either Crosby's or Malkin's wing,but they are not NHL material right now,minimum 2 more years

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 02:52 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Honestly don't know much about him, small and does not look to be an offensive dynamo. 3rd line material?
He's a defensive forward .... and a pretty damn good one. Good leadership too.

FerrisRox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 02:52 PM
JeromeHP
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

well Veilleux has been nothing short of amazing since he came back from his injury and slowly becoming a fan of him wich i wasnt in his draft year

Big center, french canadian, right handed shot.......oh god i can already hear the media

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 02:53 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
I hope they could make a winger out of him
Move him to wing to negate most of his impact as a defensive forward? Why would they do that? Why would you want them to do that?

FerrisRox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Mtl6

[QUOTE=Roulin;18608599]I can't see Fortier as a winger. If I'm not mistaken, Rimouski moved Caron to the wing to keep Fortier at center? His strengths (defensive smarts, speed) indicate center through and through.

Actually, He is playing on Kevin Veilleux's wing right now. He can play either position.

link: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...n-veilleux.php

I believe the habs are high on him to sign him this quickly. They did the same last year with Ben Maxwell. IMO Fortier will be a role player in the NHL, playing maybe on the third, but probably on the 4th line. He doesn't have a bif frame thought.

Mtl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 02:56 PM
habdynasty

another little guy eh ! habs need roids !!!!

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FrankMTL

Out of the Habs 2007 draft, the only player that does not have NHL potential is Scott Kishel in my opinion. Four players of this draft are already signed by the habs (Pacioretty, Fortier, Weber and Conboy) with another 2 sure to be signed (Subban and McDonagh) I love what I have heard about Stejskal and have seen of Torp so far as well. You have a potential 8 NHLers in this draft. That is fantastic.

2007 Entry
Draft Num. Round Player Pos Drafted From GP G A Pts PIM
2007 Entry 12 1 Ryan McDonagh D Cretin Derham Hall H.S. (Minn.)
2007 Entry 22 1 Max Pacioretty L Sioux City Musketeers [USHL]
2007 Entry 43 2 P.K. Subban D Belleville Bulls [OHL]
2007 Entry 65 3 Olivier Fortier C Rimouski Oceanic [QMJHL]
2007 Entry 73 3 Yannick Weber D Kitchener Rangers [OHL]
2007 Entry 133 5 Joe Stejskal D Grand Rapids H.S. (Minn.)
2007 Entry 142 5 Andrew Conboy L Omaha Lancers [USHL]
2007 Entry 163 6 Nichlas Torp D HV71 Jrs (Sweden)
2007 Entry 192 7 Scott Kishel D Virginia H.S. (Minn

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
well Veilleux has been nothing short of amazing since he came back from his injury and slowly becoming a fan of him wich i wasnt in his draft year

Big center, french canadian, right handed shot.......oh god i can already hear the media
Can't wait to see how it translates in the bigs. I'm still not convinced. When I see Veilleux, I see Bruce Graham. I'm definately off, but I'm still not convince about his drive.

As far as the draft, well it's PK Subban against Veilleux. It's one thing not to pick Veilleux, but I'm pretty much certain they'll have a hard time bashing the Subban selection. They are capable of doing it, but their credibility might be affected....euh....nevermind.....

Last edited by Whitesnake: 03-19-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 03:01 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post

Ya but we drafted PK Subban instead.....he will be a fan favorite I guarantee...

Plus PK seems like such an outgoing person..I'm sure he will want to pick up French to please everybody.

Last edited by FrankMTL: 03-19-2009 at 03:07 PM.
FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 03:13 PM
kevanos

oh I had forgotten about him but after reading the article I remember he was like the only Quebecois we drafted that year.

kevanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 03:31 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koivu_habs#1 View Post
Excellent happy for the guy deserves it!

But I still dont understand why Gainey takes the time to sign Junior people when we have 11 un-signed players in Montreal... Come on I know he told us he doesnt like signing people during the season but thats the time to sign junior hockey players. Gainey get going.

Can someone clarify this, confused, why he does this???
What does it matter when he signs them? They aren't playing for us this year.

Here's a couple players that went to Hamilton after their junior/ncaa season was over. Price, Halak, Chipchura, Wyman, Trotter (but he left school if Feb) Danis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Good move. he's our future Guy Carbonneau (the player, not the coach).

Next draft, I hope the Habs will select another Rimouski's guy, Jordan Caron.
I highly doubt Fortier will ever be close to Carbonneau who was a great player for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Chipchura was also supposed to be our future Carbo (the player).

Hopefully this guy has a little more foot speed.
He does for sure, he's got good speed/skating, no doubt about that. Small frame though and needs to improve his lower body strength by a lot. Smart, hard working player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
That 2007 draft has the potential to go down as one of our best in the last 20 years...
I agree. While it's still early, I love how the '07 draft is shaping up.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Doctor House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
I thought we didn't draft French Canadians?
Stop reading Rejaune Tremblay lol

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor House View Post
Stop reading Rejaune Tremblay lol
nice avatar,well done

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 03:50 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

He'll be our coach in 25 years

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Scotianhab

Nice to see him get signed.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Habs

My cousin that I have never met. Oh look at me, name dropping.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 07:14 PM
kernkraft

Waste of a contract. Another small defensive forward (I didn't get it when we drafted him). But I suppose we don't have a choice, him being from Quebec and all (and being an RFA or whatever in June).

Last edited by kernkraft: 03-19-2009 at 07:22 PM.
kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote