HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

higgins rfa idea

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-18-2009, 03:46 PM
  #1
markov norris 2009
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
higgins rfa idea

Since higgins is from the new york islanders area, i would let him test de rfa market just to see if the islanders will give him enough to get their 1first round pick for next year... They really want him and the will pay much more than us to get him...
what do you think?

markov norris 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 03:48 PM
  #2
HotHabsFan*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bell Center Vagabond
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markov norris 2009 View Post
Since higgins is from the new york islanders area, i would let him test de rfa market just to see if the islanders will give him enough to get their 1first round pick for next year... They really want him and the will pay much more than us to get him...
what do you think?

I think Milbury is no longer on Long Island, thats what i am thinking. Oh and good luck with this one.

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 03:51 PM
  #3
markov norris 2009
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
I think Milbury is no longer on Long Island, thats what i am thinking. Oh and good luck with this one.
im sure they will pay around 4 millions to get him... If ryder got 4 millions higgins could get something close than that

markov norris 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 03:52 PM
  #4
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,184
vCash: 500
So the Isles would give up possible the 1st overall pick for Higgins?..loll
Wow..if only all dreams would come true..

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 03:52 PM
  #5
markov norris 2009
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
So the Isles would give up possible the 1st overall pick for Higgins?..loll
Wow..if only all dreams would come true..
they will get tavares this year so maybe they are going to climb the standing a bit they have some prospect that will developp next year

markov norris 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 03:59 PM
  #6
kostitsyn1489
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Louiseville, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,447
vCash: 500
A Penner type of deal I take it i think with the Isles. Odds are good that they'll end up in the bottom tier and 2010 draft looks pretty decent.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 04:00 PM
  #7
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markov norris 2009 View Post
they will get tavares this year so maybe they are going to climb the standing a bit they have some prospect that will developp next year
Pittsburgh finished close to last with Crosby if I'm not mistaken.

1st rounder is a crucial asset when you could possibly get the 1st overall. It's certainly not something worth giving up for Higgins.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 04:06 PM
  #8
Hermamoud
Registered User
 
Hermamoud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,100
vCash: 500
Even if it's Garth Snow, having the choice between Higgins and Hedman / Tavares... I don't think it's hard.

If you had the 1st overall pick, would you trade it for Steve Bernier? (I chose someone of similar skillset)

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 04:14 PM
  #9
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
At this rate, I'd try and trade him at the draft.

If that fails, I seriously contemplate not qualifying him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
Even if it's Garth Snow, having the choice between Higgins and Hedman / Tavares... I don't think it's hard.

If you had the 1st overall pick, would you trade it for Steve Bernier? (I chose someone of similar skillset)

Well to be fair, it would be in the draft after those two

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 04:28 PM
  #10
Jean-Guy Drouin*
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,413
vCash: 500
Let him go. This guy is useless. Any other team's 1st pick is better than him.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 04:47 PM
  #11
habdynasty
Registered User
 
habdynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,771
vCash: 500
let the whole team go they are all useless

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 05:04 PM
  #12
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,253
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by markov norris 2009 View Post
im sure they will pay around 4 millions to get him... If ryder got 4 millions higgins could get something close than that
ryder was also durable and a 2 time 30 goal scorer. Also the first round pick would be in 2010 people not in 2009....so stop your ****ing wet dreams of Tavares or Hedman...

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 06:47 PM
  #13
kostitsyn1489
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Louiseville, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
ryder was also durable and a 2 time 30 goal scorer. Also the first round pick would be in 2010 people not in 2009....so stop your ****ing wet dreams of Tavares or Hedman...
Taylor Hall is not far behind those 2.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 09:54 PM
  #14
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,386
vCash: 500
I will have many sleepless nights as I lie in waiting for your next brilliant idea.

Sined is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 09:58 PM
  #15
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,365
vCash: 500
The first choice would be the one of 2010 , not 2009 . Free agency signing starts the first july , after the draft .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 10:00 PM
  #16
Axeshun
 
Axeshun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 731
vCash: 500
Not that I'm in favor of the idea of trading Higgins, but if there was anywhere he'd be going I think the Islanders would be the ideal situation.

They need to turn that team around ASAP, with likely a top 5 pick at the very least, it could be a very good move for the fanbase if they could also bring in a hometown guy. Hell, maybe they'll even take a shot at Komisarek, who knows?

Axeshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 03:34 PM
  #17
Darth Milbury
Registered User
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 37,361
vCash: 500
Why, exactly, do the Isles need to "turn the situation around quick?" I see no pressure on Long Island to start winning anytime soon. If anything, the pressures are the exact opposite. Wang is trying to finally close the Hub deal and the Isles basically can't be financially solvent until that happens. So, from a strategic and economic perspective, the smartest thing the Isles can do now is build carefully through the draft and then have a young core in place when the Hub finally comes online.

As for Higgins, yeah the Isles might be interested in him. I suspect he still has decent market value too. I know he had a crappy year, but he still has nice upside and a is a solid physical winger. But, the Isles don't have the payroll room to give out offer sheets and Higgins wouldn't be worth the compensation under any circumstances.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 03:43 PM
  #18
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
The first choice would be the one of 2010 , not 2009 . Free agency signing starts the first july , after the draft .
you had to ruin things,people actually thought it would have been this years pick the Isles would trade

Since when the **** did Higgins become a superstar?I like the guy but he's not worth anywhere close to 4 million a year

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 04:11 PM
  #19
hendextall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London, ON
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
And lets not forget, Montreal has the only fans and media who cry about not having enough local players. Other teams just don't care about that.

hendextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 04:20 PM
  #20
All-Star
Registered User
 
All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Snake Mountain
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,429
vCash: 500
I'm confident Higgins will work on his flaws this summer and come back stronger than ever next season. I'd offer him 5 Million over two years.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 04:29 PM
  #21
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markov norris 2009 View Post
Since higgins is from the new york islanders area, i would let him test de rfa market just to see if the islanders will give him enough to get their 1first round pick for next year... They really want him and the will pay much more than us to get him...
what do you think?
So let me get this straight. You think there's ANY possibility that the Isles would sign Higgins to a $4+ Million contract, thus having to comepnsate the Habs with a 1st rounder (probably Tavares) that would cost about $800k??
Even if they were completely retarded and suffered from multiple brain farts at the same time, they would have ot travel back in time to get the pick as the free agency period is about a week after the draft anyways!

Massive fail.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 04:37 PM
  #22
All-Star
Registered User
 
All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Snake Mountain
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Even if they were completely retarded and suffered from multiple brain farts at the same time, they would have ot travel back in time to get the pick as the free agency period is about a week after the draft anyways!

Massive fail.
You may want to re-read the post you quoted...

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 05:07 PM
  #23
Axeshun
 
Axeshun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Why, exactly, do the Isles need to "turn the situation around quick?" I see no pressure on Long Island to start winning anytime soon. If anything, the pressures are the exact opposite. Wang is trying to finally close the Hub deal and the Isles basically can't be financially solvent until that happens. So, from a strategic and economic perspective, the smartest thing the Isles can do now is build carefully through the draft and then have a young core in place when the Hub finally comes online.

As for Higgins, yeah the Isles might be interested in him. I suspect he still has decent market value too. I know he had a crappy year, but he still has nice upside and a is a solid physical winger. But, the Isles don't have the payroll room to give out offer sheets and Higgins wouldn't be worth the compensation under any circumstances.
Yeah, you're right. Sorry I didn't word it properly, they don't HAVE to turn it around, I'd just like them to.

Axeshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 06:44 PM
  #24
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,076
vCash: 50
Ryder got 4 mil cuz he was UFA, not a RFA with compensation, if they had to give up picks they wouldn't have done it. Also, uhh, I know higgins is from Long Island but why would they do this exactly? Just because he lived there doesn't mean they're waiting for him and komi to be UFA. They aren't obsessed with local players like we are.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 07:16 PM
  #25
Darth Milbury
Registered User
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 37,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeiKostitsyn74 View Post
Yeah, you're right. Sorry I didn't word it properly, they don't HAVE to turn it around, I'd just like them to.

Well, I think most Islander fans would want that too. BUT, mortaging the future for a short term bump is not in the cards.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.