HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Price ........

Old
03-18-2009, 07:36 AM
Valrico Gold

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Price is one of the top goaltenders in the league, but he's still not mature enough for the job. It's useless to complain about him, the team ask too much out of a 21 yo kid.
Couldn't agree more.

Talented kid, but not yet ready for prime time.

Valrico Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 07:48 AM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Wait till Price steals a game for us, you'll see threads like "Price is going to lead us to the Stanley Cup! Price will be on team Canada, Price this, Price that.
Price does what he does today, "Price sucks"

People wonder why we as habs fans are despised by friend and foe alike.
i agree! welcome to montreal, where the fans are bipolar! One day a player can be a superstar, and the next day hes a zero. Exactly in Prices' case. If we win a game and he plays half decent, '' wow price is amazing, a franchise goalie. If he plays well yet loses a game, '' aww he sucks, bench him, trade him, Halak #1''..

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Price is one of the top goaltenders in the league, but he's still not mature enough for the job. It's useless to complain about him, the team ask too much out of a 21 yo kid.

OMG....based on what???? What has he done at the NHL level that give him such recognition???

He hasn't done ANYTHING in the NHL to deserve such hype and credit. He had a couple of good streaks so far in his career where he has looked pretty good. But then he has had some awful streaks so far that make people question why he is the Habs #1 goalie and why he is even in the NHL right now.

The fact is, he was rushed. He should have played a season or 2 in Hamilton, but Gainey wanted to push him and force him into the #1 job even though he wasn't ready for it. Halak is looking like the better goalie between the 2 of them. Halak has been respectable since he came in the NHL and he hasn't had the terrible streaks that Price has had.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by transitguy View Post
To answer your question, yes I have been a Habs fan for 50 years and I am willing to bet have seen way more games than you have. I am not bashing the Habs. All I am saying is the kid is struggling big time and probably needs some time in the AHL to get some confidence back. He lets in a weak goal every game. That second goal by the Rangers would have been stopped by a tier 3 bantam goalie. Oh, and you shouldn't put so much emphasis on the 74 posts as a big thing as to whether your a Hab fan or not. I certainly am not in the same league like your 1800+. All your posts, and I am impressed (you must be the ultimate Habs fan with that many) mean 1. you either like to read what you post, pat yourself or the back and say gosh I am good) or 2. you have nothing better to do with your life.

Wow way to back pedal, Price was struggling but since than has gotten his game back. Yes he let in a weak goal and wasn't good in the shootout but making 40 saves dosn't get you demoted to the AHL. And your right post count dosn't make you more or less of a habs fan but it seems like the majority of the hate comes from the guys with the low counts...the guys who just come out after a loss to bash a certain player. As far as my post count do the math 1800 posts over 7 years that's less than 1 a day so yeah I do have better things to do than argue with 60 year old habs fans who still jump on and off the bandwagon depending on the season.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Habarazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4KOMI View Post
the guy still made 39 saves
He should have made 40!!

(I couldn't resist )

Habarazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 09:33 AM
jcpenny

Price has a few things to change if he wants to be the star he is supposed to be.

1- He has to be stronger mentaly. The only reason Halak is doing better lately is because he is not rattled by anything. Price puts too much pressure on his shoulders and cannot take it just yet.

2-Needs to make better use of his size and start playing bigger. He needs to get out of the blue paint more and challenge shooters, be more agressive.

Its not a lot but if he can make this happen, he'll be fine.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 09:39 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Lundvist wasn't much better...

Kostitsyn : missed the net
Kovalev : Goal
Markov : Goal

2/3, one shot missed the net...

People forget to fast around here. Price was very good last year and in the beginning of the year. He's a star caliber goaltender who is still learning some aspects of the game. We saw what he can do, and we're starting to see him come back to his old form. If he can't stop a beach ball in 3 years from now, we'll have to start worrying about him, but as of right now, whinners should take a walk and enjoy the sun...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 10:11 AM
TheGoalJudge

Price needs to be perfect for us to win. At 21 years old, it's very hard to ask that. In the future, maybe we can. Right now Price is doing everything he can.

We have much much bigger problems than him.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 10:18 AM
odishabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
OMG....based on what???? What has he done at the NHL level that give him such recognition???

He hasn't done ANYTHING in the NHL to deserve such hype and credit. He had a couple of good streaks so far in his career where he has looked pretty good. But then he has had some awful streaks so far that make people question why he is the Habs #1 goalie and why he is even in the NHL right now.

The fact is, he was rushed. He should have played a season or 2 in Hamilton, but Gainey wanted to push him and force him into the #1 job even though he wasn't ready for it. Halak is looking like the better goalie between the 2 of them. Halak has been respectable since he came in the NHL and he hasn't had the terrible streaks that Price has had.
The Fact that he is 21 and besides his slide after the injury, he has better stats than most starting goalies...based on that "habs fan"

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 06:59 PM
j52

Price was over-hyped from day one. He is not Hainsworth, Plante, Dryden, or Roy.
He isn't the Gumper, or Charlie hodge, or Vachon - though he does resemble a junior B goalie at times. His youth per se is no excuse -there are younger goalies in the league who are excelling this year. He seems to be mentally weak, and not in good shape. (Some talked of baby fat!) A bad goal deflates a team. A bad goalie drains
motivation from it.
The Habs will ride Price til the bitter end, right over the cliff. He should be sent to Hamilton to develop a work ethic, (or just to party with his friend).

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 07:31 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
Price has a few things to change if he wants to be the star he is supposed to be.

1- He has to be stronger mentaly. The only reason Halak is doing better lately is because he is not rattled by anything. Price puts too much pressure on his shoulders and cannot take it just yet.
Do you think this is a mental problem, or do you think it is because he is tired?

I think he may be fatigued from all the hockey he has played in the past 4 years. Not many 21 year old goaltenders can carry the work load that Price has in the passed 4-5 years.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:04 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by j52 View Post
Price was over-hyped from day one. He is not Hainsworth, Plante, Dryden, or Roy.
He isn't the Gumper, or Charlie hodge, or Vachon - though he does resemble a junior B goalie at times. His youth per se is no excuse -there are younger goalies in the league who are excelling this year. He seems to be mentally weak, and not in good shape. (Some talked of baby fat!) A bad goal deflates a team. A bad goalie drains
motivation from it.
The Habs will ride Price til the bitter end, right over the cliff. He should be sent to Hamilton to develop a work ethic, (or just to party with his friend).
Such an epic fail of a post.

First of all he wasn't over-hyped from day one most Canadiens' fans were pissed off he was chosen as a lot of people thought we were set in net and didn't know why we used our 5th pick on a goalie instead of a center.

Second of all which other young goalies under 22 not named Steve Mason are excelling this year in the NHL?

Third of all he lost over 20 pounds in the summer and he's been eating properly, something he didn't do last year, so he's not out of shape.

Won't even mention that Price needs to clear waivers to go to Hamilton since you probably don't even know what waivers is.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 01:45 AM
Doc McKenna

Wrong he doesn't have to clear waivers to go to the hammer. He can go if he agrees to a conditioning stint. Which can be up to 14 days . So yes he can be sent. Just not permanently. SO I guess your post is Epic Fail. For people who claim they know all because they have HUGE post counts they seem to not know, or ask the proper questions.

Doc McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 03:23 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Madsen View Post
Wrong he doesn't have to clear waivers to go to the hammer. He can go if he agrees to a conditioning stint. Which can be up to 14 days . So yes he can be sent. Just not permanently. SO I guess your post is Epic Fail. For people who claim they know all because they have HUGE post counts they seem to not know, or ask the proper questions.

Price had a bad shootout?? YES

Price had a bad game?? NO... he's one of the reasons we still got a point out of that game.
Price has had 5 pretty good games in a row... and you people want send him to Hamilton.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post

2-Needs to make better use of his size and start playing bigger. He needs to get out of the blue paint more and challenge shooters, be more agressive.

Its not a lot but if he can make this happen, he'll be fine.
I think using his size is a huge part of it.

Luongo looks absolutely HUGE in net as does a guy like Lundqvist. Whether its because he doesn't use the same gear as those guys or hasn't put the meat on the bones yet I don't know but he doesn't look big in net.

at the end people need to realize he is 21 years old on a team that can't play defense. Its something that we continually lose sight of. Yes he is in the NHL and he isn't going anywhere, management right or wrong has decided to go with two young goalies and we have to realize that with young guys, that there are going to be a lot bumps along the way.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 08:21 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Doesn't he have to be injured for a conditioning stint?

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:21 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:

Price is playing well again after struggling really bad since the all-star break, so i'm sure he'd agree to go for a conditioning stint in Hamilton right now. That'd really help with his confidence.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:35 AM
mabus

Really well? Last game he couldn't stop a beach ball and in the shootout he let in ALL THREE shots.

mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Hermamoud

I find it unfair to compare Price to Mason. Both of them pretty much followed the same path (good junior careers and WJC mvp), but Mason definitely plays under a more closed and soporific style with Hitchcock. I don't think it's a coincidence that Leclaire got a boatload of shutouts and now it's Mason's turn to reap the benefits of Hitchcock's coaching. We'll see next year if Leclaire is really a superstar caliber goalie or if he was only good with Hitchcock. If Price played in Columbus, people would already be engraving his name on the Vezina.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:49 AM
tchendoh

Send a message via ICQ to tchendoh Send a message via MSN to tchendoh Send a message via Yahoo to tchendoh
Jim Carey Price!

tchendoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Gary320

Quote:
He has to be injured for atleast 6 games I think.

And now he can't even go to the Bulldogs now.

Gary320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
I find it unfair to compare Price to Mason. Both of them pretty much followed the same path (good junior careers and WJC mvp), but Mason definitely plays under a more closed and soporific style with Hitchcock. I don't think it's a coincidence that Leclaire got a boatload of shutouts and now it's Mason's turn to reap the benefits of Hitchcock's coaching. We'll see next year if Leclaire is really a superstar caliber goalie or if he was only good with Hitchcock. If Price played in Columbus, people would already be engraving his name on the Vezina.
Columbus have a great system for sure. No team have had as much shutouts in the past two years than them.

And sure Mason is good in his first year, but so was Price. The second year is often the hardest one for a young people. We'll see in a year from now if Mason will be able to keep it up. We'll also see if Price will regain condidance in his play...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:48 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Just like Halaks amazing two softies that killed Montreal last game right.

The *****ing and moaning about goaltending just masks whats wrong with the habs. Easy answers for idiots.
I would tend to agree. Right now the problem is not in nets but the lack of any sort of ability of keeping the puck in the offensive zone and to limit shots to below 30 against a game.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 05:02 PM
KovalevDeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post
Could Price stop a beach ball bouncedtoward his net from centre ice during a shoot out?

Apparently, he does not get the fact that backing into the goal and going down works in favor of the shooter!
21 years old ...

KovalevDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovalevDeke View Post
21 years old ...
Stop using that as an excuse, if he was not ready he should have not been rushed up here. He's in the NHL now, he should know.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote