HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Price performance = Second year syndrom?

Old
03-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Talent Analyst

vCash: 500
Price performance = Second year syndrom?

Your tought?

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I think Carey needs a veteran to show him the way, especially in terms of dealing with all the media BS in Montreal, and how to not let your off ice "hobbies" take you off your game.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Magic33

One could only hope...

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think Carey needs a veteran to show him the way, especially in terms of dealing with all the media BS in Montreal, and how to not let your off ice "hobbies" take you off your game.
Not only him, this team need a leader. Koivu? meh..

Old
03-19-2009, 10:30 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Price was outstanding 4 game sin a row, not a words was spoken. Slips up and the knives are out. Gotta love Montreal.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:41 PM
TheCH*

Its not really second year syndrome, he's been very streaky since his nhl career started. He is lacking between his ears i don't think he mentally has what it takes to succeed in Montreal. EVERYTHING gets to him.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Price was outstanding 4 game sin a row, not a words was spoken. Slips up and the knives are out. Gotta love Montreal.
Yeah I know, but what happen to Price remind me of Sam Gagner this year, Jordan Staal, etc. He'll be back next year or in the playoff, I don't worry at all. He'll learn and gain experience, if he's the real deal, Price will come back in force sooner than later.

Old
03-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Hermamoud

Seems like a few of the players are in their sophmore slumps this year, but because Price is supposed to be our #1 goalie, the spotlight is on him. Sergei Kostitsyn has been more than underwhelming when he played in Montreal (he seems to have picked up his game in the AHL) and Andrei Kostitsyn shows a few flashes now and then, but he's not the great sniper that we remember from last year.

Edmonton's entire kid line (Nilsson, Gagner and Cogliano) isn't really productive this year either, but they're not throwing them under the bus like we're doing with our players no?

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Outstanding? I guess if you compare it to the total disaster that was the previous two months, but he still let in an awful goal in overtime, was pathetic in the shootout last game, and then sucked tonight.

You can point to that terrible second goal Halak allowed against New Jersey all you want, but there's simply no argument you can make that says Price has been as good as Halak since the All-Star break. None.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:13 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
You can point to that terrible second goal Halak allowed against New Jersey all you want, but there's simply no argument you can make that says Price has been as good as Halak since the All-Star break. None.
I totally agree.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:16 PM
TheHMan

Quote:
Outstanding? I guess if you compare it to the total disaster that was the previous two months, but he still let in an awful goal in overtime, was pathetic in the shootout last game, and then sucked tonight.

From an outsider perspective, and having watched a handful of games Montreal has played, I don't even think it's up for discussion. Halak has been the better goalie, and he's given Montreal a chance to win just about every night he's started. The same cannot be said about Price.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:16 PM
DaHabMan

people need to look at the defense for christ sake and stop blaming the ******* goalie. If halak were in net we probably still would have lost or if wed have won, he would have had stood on his head to do it. 39 shots against, a couple breakaways, many many chances from the slot, other team cycling at will, i mean we are getting dominated and once the other team gets chance after chance after chance, there bound to start going in. There is no defensive system or it is faulty. We need a defense coach and even at that its still not gonna help. Your goalie isnt suppose to stand on his head EVERY game but thats what its come to now in order for us to win. If our goalie is only great than too bad we lose.

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Its not really second year syndrome, he's been very streaky since his nhl career started. He is lacking between his ears i don't think he mentally has what it takes to succeed in Montreal. EVERYTHING gets to him.
Amen.

Whether that's just due to his character or whether it's a consequence of management rushing him into the lead role too soon, I don't know. If they plan on keeping him, though, they should invest in a good psychotherapist because this kid is gonna need some counseling after failing time and time again...

Habs_Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:35 PM
Sports1131

The numbers speak for themselves. Since the All-Star Break:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabMan View Post
people need to look at the defense for christ sake and stop blaming the ******* goalie.
Absolutely, the goaltending is not the biggest problem on the team right now. That doesn't excuse Gainey from playing the guy that gives us the best chance to win though.

Old
03-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Axeshun

IMO, Carey has been pretty streaky this season (so have others), but our defense is not helping matters at all.

Axeshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 12:31 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

[QUOTE=Sports1131;18619175]The numbers speak for themselves. Since the All-Star Break:

Price was terrible in february, however since he came back after Halak's flu, his stats are incredible. Before today he had a .936 save% with 2.13 gaa in his last 5 starts. The fact the team only took 6 of 10 points in that span is not on Price. That is why price is getting the start on Saturday. Good record against the Leafs and has been on fire lately.

Old
03-20-2009, 12:36 AM
Magic33

Wow look at the number of shots were routinely giving up. Look at Halak shot totals in Halaks picture, that is ridiculous!

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 12:37 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
Wow look at the number of shots were routinely giving up. Look at Halak shot totals in Halaks picture, that is ridiculous!
Halak and Price play behind the same players in the same system, yet halak allows a lot more shots. That should tell you something about the two goaltenders.

Old
03-20-2009, 12:45 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Halak and Price play behind the same players in the same system, yet halak allows a lot more shots. That should tell you something about the two goaltenders.
wait what? I don't follow. It's Halaks fault he gets so many shots on net?

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 12:48 AM
Axeshun

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
I`m assuming what he meant by that, Price`s rebound control is superior to that of Halak`s, therefore Halak creates more chances against himself.

Axeshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 12:49 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
he doesn't exactly help himself out with his rebound control. Its not like the defence says hey let's start allowing more shots with this guy in. The Habs system is to allow shots from the outside, so the totals will be high for any goaltender, however with Price in net those shots from the outside end up in the corners where our demen can retrieve them. Halak however leaves the pucks in the slot where forecheckers can get to them and get additional shots on net. halak has been on his game the past month so he is stopping them, but sooner or later he will come down to earth and those rebound shots from the slot that he has been saving will soon turn into goals.

Old
03-20-2009, 01:22 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
he doesn't exactly help himself out with his rebound control. Its not like the defence says hey let's start allowing more shots with this guy in. The Habs system is to allow shots from the outside, so the totals will be high for any goaltender, however with Price in net those shots from the outside end up in the corners where our demen can retrieve them. Halak however leaves the pucks in the slot where forecheckers can get to them and get additional shots on net. halak has been on his game the past month so he is stopping them, but sooner or later he will come down to earth and those rebound shots from the slot that he has been saving will soon turn into goals.
You really think that? Come back down to earth?

Halak, I admit, has terrible rebound control on most nights. However, it's how he's ALWAYS played.. and it's ALWAYS worked for him.

Maybe if Price went back to what worked for him, he'd be a better goalie again. I can't even begin to talk about how often the guy is on his knees anymore.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 01:24 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
You really think that? Come back down to earth?

Halak, I admit, has terrible rebound control on most nights. However, it's how he's ALWAYS played.. and it's ALWAYS worked for him.

Maybe if Price went back to what worked for him, he'd be a better goalie again. I can't even begin to talk about how often the guy is on his knees anymore.
You see, Price has come back to where he was. In his last 5 starts, his play has been phenominal. That is what you fail to see. You are too hung up on January and February to realize that Price has played outstanding goal since being reinstated as the starter.

Old
03-20-2009, 01:28 AM
Sports1131

Quote:
You see, Price has come back to where he was. In his last 5 starts, his play has been phenominal. That is what you fail to see. You are too hung up on January and February to realize that Price has played outstanding goal since being reinstated as the starter.
Yes, his numbers are good in the last stretch, but they're still not as good as Halak's numbers in recent games and he's been giving up more weak goals than Jaro has.

Old
03-20-2009, 01:29 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Yes, his numbers are good in the last stretch, but they're still not as good as Halak's numbers in recent games and he's been giving up more weak goals than Jaro has.
this is not true. Need a rmeind anybody about the New Jersey fisco? nothing Price has given up were that weak.