HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ovechkin's 50th goal celebration

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
Ovechkin's 50th goal celebration

so saw the announcers on Sportsnet giving him crap. one was saying it was'nt a big deal

what did ya think?

Old
03-20-2009, 12:02 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
so saw the announcers on Sportsnet giving him crap. one was saying it was'nt a big deal

what did ya think?
I think the next time Theodore, Mike green and Nick Backstrom tell him to "Do it, because we'll all be doing it", he'll tell them where to shove it.

Old
03-20-2009, 12:29 AM
Ched Brosky

This should be in the NHL discussion not trade talks and rumors.

Anyways I liked it, he brings personality to the NHL, and it gets the crowd pumped seeing creative celebrations like that.
Alot of players celebrate in the NFL after getting a touchdown, why not celebrate like that after scoring a goal?
It shows a passion for the game which can never be a bad thing

Old
03-20-2009, 12:35 AM
Highbrow
Alfie, Alfie, Alfie!

Enjoyed it. Laughed. Continued to laugh. Then I listened to Nick Kypreos and its idiotic comments. But, realized that Kypreos only scored 46 goals in his CAREER so he can't really understand what A.O. did. If only he got 50... he'd be more understanding.

The bottom line: he wasn't insulting TB and their goalie. He was having fun playing hockey.

Old
03-20-2009, 12:37 AM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

TOR: Ovechkin's Goal Celebration + Caps 2nd
WSH: Rangers 2nd

Thoughts?

Old
03-20-2009, 12:51 AM
ClubSandwiches

Loved it, he was insinuating his stick was on fire, where is the poor sportsmanship in that?

I really can't stand the Sportsnet personalities, but to be honest I'm hearing disapproving remarks from all sides including Boudreau (sic?). I just don't understand what the big deal is.

Old
03-20-2009, 12:54 AM
19nazzy

So does everyone want this to become like the No Fun League? These guys are virtually robots in most of their answers to the media, seeing a little personality doesn't hurt anyone.

Old
03-20-2009, 01:02 AM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubSandwiches View Post
Loved it, he was insinuating his stick was on fire, where is the poor sportsmanship in that?

I really can't stand the Sportsnet personalities, but to be honest I'm hearing disapproving remarks from all sides including Boudreau (sic?). I just don't understand what the big deal is.
Respect for your opposition. How do you think Tampa? (I didn't watch the game. It looked like the Bolts in the video, but I wasn't paying much attention to them) felt after he scored 1v3?

In any case - I don't really mind celebrating the 50th. It was pretty funny. The way he celebrates ALL his goals is a bit disrespectful though. We get it. You're a great scorer.

Old
03-20-2009, 01:17 AM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
it was stupid... its almost like he's planning them now like terrell owens or something

Old
03-20-2009, 01:20 AM
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse Flying V View Post
TOR: Ovechkin's Goal Celebration + Caps 2nd
WSH: Rangers 2nd

Thoughts?

I loved the celebration. I want more.

Old
03-20-2009, 01:47 AM
Alamo

People need to realize hockey is a GAME..

I'm sorry to think a game should have some emotion or be fun...

Imagine if people made a thread for every celebration someone does in another sport...

on a side note: Come on... He had a whole season to prepare his celebration and that's all he could come up with?

Old
03-20-2009, 02:02 AM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

vCash: 538
Looking forward to what the fun police says on cbc on saturday

Old
03-20-2009, 02:11 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

He has the right to celebrate since there's no rule that says he can't.

I still think his over the top celebrations are both lame and annoying, but that's just my opinion.

He's the player that scores the most and still acts like he's never scored before in his life.

Old
03-20-2009, 02:14 AM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnkd View Post
Enjoyed it. Laughed. Continued to laugh. Then I listened to Nick Kypreos and its idiotic comments. But, realized that Kypreos only scored 46 goals in his CAREER so he can't really understand what A.O. did. If only he got 50... he'd be more understanding.

The bottom line: he wasn't insulting TB and their goalie. He was having fun playing hockey.
TB and their goalie seem to think otherwise:

After the game, there was plenty of negative reaction to the celebration from the Lightning locker room, particular some of the veteran players. Here’s what they had to say:

Right wing Marty St. Louis: “He’s a fun player to watch, but to do that to a team that’s . . . we’ve had better days, there is no reason to embarass us and embarass Mac [Mike McKenna] like that.’’

Left wing Ryan Malone: “He is the game’s most dominant scorer, but to do that, especially on our ice, I took it as an insult, personally. It’s embarrassing, this isn’t football. I know it’s his 50th goal ...’’

More from Malone: “I was in the [penalty] box at the time, but you remember something like that and make sure he pays the right way. He’s going to do what he’s going to do and it’s up to us to react the way we should.’’

Center Jeff Halpern (Washington’s captain during Ovechkin’s rookie year): “I don’t mind the spontaneous celebrations, but that kind of stuff is … I don’t even know the word for it. It’s up to our team to do something about it.’’

Lightning interim coach Rick Tocchet: I think he’s a top-notch player, but he went down a notch in my book after that. It’s hard for me to accept, to see that in our building. I grew up as a player in the days of the [Philadelphia] Spectrum and if that happened in the first period like that, it would have been a three-hour period.’’

McKenna: “After I stopped him on that breakaway [in the third period], I could have done a spin move or something like that, but I didn’t.’’

Old
03-20-2009, 02:20 AM
ClubSandwiches

Sour grapes out of Tampa. I could just as easily criticize them for being too sensitive.

Quote:
McKenna: “After I stopped him on that breakaway [in the third period], I could have done a spin move or something like that, but I didn’t.’’
He should have, go tit for tat, would have been great to see.

Old
03-20-2009, 02:22 AM
RLD12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
This should be in the NHL discussion not trade talks and rumors.

Anyways I liked it, he brings personality to the NHL, and it gets the crowd pumped seeing creative celebrations like that.
Alot of players celebrate in the NFL after getting a touchdown, why not celebrate like that after scoring a goal?
It shows a passion for the game which can never be a bad thing
You'll end up in Buffalo, lol..

Old
03-20-2009, 04:05 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubSandwiches View Post
Sour grapes out of Tampa. I could just as easily criticize them for being too sensitive.

sour grapes? no ****en **** sour grapes, it's been an awful year for them, a very stressful year for everyone there...

but overall, i bet you'd be the type of person that would whine foul if malone went and head hunted ovechkin the very next shift?

as great as he is, as talented and purely gifted as he is, ovechkin will be caught, soon, and it'll hurt. he'll either throw gloves with the wrong guy, or won't be looking, or celebrate like he did tonight... one way or another he'll get it...

i love watching him play as much as the biggest ovechkin fan boy, but when that happens, that other part of me will recognize it, nod, smirk, and move on..

Old
03-20-2009, 04:44 AM
Canucksrock

Why, why does the NHL have to be so freakin conservative all the ****ing time, hes a personality and that draws in fans, if anything he is the best marketing product the NHL has had in a long time.

Let the man celebrate, and let anybody who doesn't like it stop him CLEAN, if you go back and try and fight a goal scorer or cheap shot a great talent then that IMO is BS, and not his goal celebration.

Of course Don CHerry is going to hate this, Don is one of the biggest hypocrites ever saying he doesn't like the way that Ovy is attention grabbing, SAYS THE MAN WEARING A NEON ****ING SUIT.

Old
03-20-2009, 06:03 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Ovechkin is the best thing to happen to the NHL in a long time. For anyone in the NHL to criticize him for being entertaining shows, to me at least, why the game is suffering in the U.S.

Old
03-20-2009, 06:14 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I'm a lightning fan and I didn't think it was a big deal, but I see where the bolts players are coming from. Nobody wants to be made a fool of, especially on home ice.

Old
03-20-2009, 06:19 AM
twenty2

courtesy of http://thehockeywriters.com/ovechkin...-caps-victory/

Old
03-20-2009, 06:40 AM
The Four Seven
Boone Jenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
Best camera angle ever, or best camera angle ever?

Personally, I thought it was funny. Ovechkin's bringing some damn fun to the league and all of these stiffs in and around the league have to wag their fingers at him.

Hint: You want to make hockey more than just the number five sport in America(yes, as ridiculous as it is, NASCAR is still more popular in the U.S.)? Give the fans some more of that. Forget the purists, survival of the sport is more important to me than "act like you've scored before."

While the opposition might be offended, there are many simple ways to try to keep him from doing it again. The best one? Win the game. Hard to go crazy and do a bunch of silly celebrations when you're not winning.

Last edited by The Four Seven: 03-20-2009 at 06:46 AM.
Old
03-20-2009, 06:49 AM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeBearMountain View Post
I'm a lightning fan and I didn't think it was a big deal, but I see where the bolts players are coming from. Nobody wants to be made a fool of, especially on home ice.
Then they should play a little defense on him next time...

Old
03-20-2009, 06:52 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Caps fan. Didn't like the celebration. The reactions are on the overblown side, but I can see where they are coming from.

Any attempt to show personality in the game certainly draws controversy, and I can't decide if it's a good thing or not.

Old
03-20-2009, 07:05 AM
Chain Attack

I love Green's reaction:

Closed Thread