HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

RDS choice of words

Old
03-20-2009, 06:39 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

vCash: 500
RDS choice of words

I've noticed lately that RDS often choose subjective words on their website. Their titles are often really bad and subjective, and I can't stand it. Journalists are supposed to be objective, even if they don't think what they write.

Exemple...

http://http://www.rds.ca/canadien/ch...es/271453.html

Quote:
Malgré l’importance de ce duel, Price a été horrible
Despite the importance of the game, Price was horrible. Horrible is too strong of a word to put in a informative and objective article. You can put it in a editorial, but not in a text like that.

Quote:
Heureusement, Halak a assumé la relève avec brio
Fortunatly, Halak was incredible. The writer, in this case, Éric Leblanc, is obviously a Price basher at this point. They way he wrote this little sentence was clearly a way to bash Price.

Too prove my last sentence, take a look at the title and another part of the article;

Quote:
Price sabote la soirée
Quote:
Price n’est toutefois pas l’unique coupable de cette défaite
Is it just me or it's not working well together?

I'm not writing this to bash RDS, I just want to know if I'm the only one noticing these kind of things. I've studied journalism, so maybe that's why it really bugs me these days...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 06:58 AM
TheCH*

If Price would stop giving reasons to bash him every single game he plays then he wouldn't have any bashers.

Many are just fed up the habs have opted to go with a struggling young goalie every single game when we have another(better) option. Habs management makes no sense, its been very clear since 09 started that this team has the best chance to win with Halak in nets.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 07:09 AM
Doctor House

I don't mind the choice of words, Price has been absolutely horrible at least Halak robbed us a couple of games. That said the defense has been pretty bad as well.

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 07:09 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
If Price would stop giving reasons to bash him every single game he plays then he wouldn't have any bashers.

Many are just fed up the habs have opted to go with a struggling young goalie every single game when we have another(better) option. Habs management makes no sense, its been very clear since 09 started that this team has the best chance to win with Halak in nets.
I understand this, but you still have to stay professional in what you do. If the guy who wrote that thinks it, fine...but don't write is to add fuel to the fire!

Old
03-20-2009, 07:15 AM
Fozz

Bof.
Nothing to get all worked up about.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 07:23 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Bof.
Nothing to get all worked up about.
Well, maybe it's just me after all! I'm just tired of hearing all that negative stuff on the Habs. It would be great one in a while to read objective stuff in sport news websites...

Old
03-20-2009, 07:27 AM
deandebean

Typical of HFboards posters: when the team sucks badly, blame the media.

FACE THE TRUTH: the 2008-09 Habs are not worthy of the logo. That's the plain truth. Stop blaming the ****ing media. They are not the ones who get beat by puny opponents.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-20-2009 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Don't circumvent the profanity filter
deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 07:33 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post

FACE THE TRUTH: the 2008-09 Habs are not worthy of the logo. That's the plain truth. Stop blaming the ****ing media. They are not the ones who get beat by puny opponents.
True but they are a bunch of hacks. Even you can admit that.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-20-2009 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Edited quoted post.
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 07:42 AM
BeBen*

I mean its RDS...do you really expect much in the first place?

We had fun couple weeks ago on another forum linking all the grammatical errors on their pages, from people paid to know how to speak french hell even the audio guys cant speak french

Ben Brunet anyone?:p

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 07:42 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Not all of them. I don't listen to 110%. THEY are hacks. And people who join they are as bad as the hacks. I guess Marinaro and Stock need the money that l'Union des Artistes prescribes TQS to give...

However, I like the Antichambre formula. I take Bergeron with a grain of salt, but he DOES have experience in an NHL locker room, and things haven't really changed that much.

Antichambre has some good guests. And Alain Crête is a host that I've always liked. I like flynn because he brings some interesting technical points. He knows s hit about the players, but he's one of the rare invities that can talk real hockey with the boys.

I love Mathias Brunet. I love JF Bégin. I have great respect for vets like Pedneault and Raymond. I'm always interested by what Tremblay brings, even though I don't like the guy. Just like Ronald King. I hate Michel Blanchard, because I know how he really is in life. I like François Gagnon, even though his head got big since he left Gatineau. Marc De Foy and Pierre Durocher are good, even though I'm not a big fan of their lockout.

I do believe there's more to the stories that the media is letting us know. I do believe that the La Presse story is nothing, but should have been something. I do believe that the Habs' lawyers (very powerful ones in the Montreal sphere by the way), and Boivin did their job in all of the scandals that were supposed to come out.

And I do believe that they will come out eventually, this summer, like they always do in Montreal.

Players brought all this onto themselves. People say that parties go on all the time in the NHL, that some hang out with shady characters all the time. And it's all true. I've experienced it first hand. But does it make it right? Do we need another Pat Burns-like coach, who controls ALL clubs in Montreal with paybacks if they keep the team informed?

Old
03-20-2009, 07:46 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:

WHAT? Where did I blamed the media for what's happening to the team? I asked a simple question on RDS and their subjectivity on their website!

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-20-2009 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Edited quoted post.
Old
03-20-2009, 07:47 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Dave, the way this team has been playing since the All Star game,they are even more pathetic then the media,they have no heart and don't deserve to wear that jersey,they suck and I'm starting to hope we miss the playoffs cause there needs to be a big clean up,management and player wise

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 08:10 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
WHAT? Where did I blamed the media for what's happening to the team? I asked a simple question on RDS and their subjectivity on their website!
The answer I give is: who ****ing cares? Do you think the Post in NY is objective in its titles after some pretty bad Yanks losses?

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-20-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old
03-20-2009, 08:48 AM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor House View Post
I don't mind the choice of words, Price has been absolutely horrible at least Halak robbed us a couple of games. That said the defense has been pretty bad as well.
pretty bad? they ve been horrible. Allowing over 40 shots a game for 4 games in a row is not acceptable. Its ony logical that after 40 + shots a game that a goalie will not only allow 1 or 2 goals a game. Im not defending Price at all, ill admit he had a weak game last night, and hasnt nearly been playing to his full potential for a while now, (maybe a little Hamilton time will do him good) but his defence isnt helping him at all. If the defence dont step up their game a knotch or two, theres no way we are making the playoffs.

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
The answer I give is: who ****ing cares? Do you think the Post in NY is objective in its titles after some pretty bad Yanks losses?
This board is so full of it lately and it's getting impossible to have a conversation about X subject...

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-20-2009 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Edited quoted post.
Old
03-20-2009, 08:55 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

RDS picks up writers from their boards obviously.

The guy does not know what journalism is. At least, good journalism.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Frankenheimer

I noticed that as well, and despite my views that the opinions are correct, I think your point is valid.

At the same time, this is a common trend in most "objective" media. During the presidential elections, agencies like the Associated Press were releasing similarly biased reports. The AP explained they intend to offer more editorial opinion in their objective pieces to compete with other media. So it's not surprising to find the same trend in sports journalism.

But I agree it's unprofessional in this case, especially since it's being written by an obviously frustrated journalist. If they want to vent, they can write an opinion piece. Keeping the two separate makes sense to me.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 09:33 AM
BeBen*

Yea but the guy is just reporting the facts

I mean RDS are the one who pays big money to own the right to broadcast the games and we all know they feel in a position where they can do whatever they want and still get the ratings

Pierre Houde and Ben Brunet? honnestly if RDS didnt had the only rights to broadcast they would be FORCED to change those 2 clowns because everyone would watch the other channel

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Frankenheimer

What's wrong with Pierre Houde? I love his play calling. I liked it back in the day when it was Pierre and Pierre. Play by play in French is way more entertaining than in English.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 09:43 AM
slocheauska

I'm with you Freaky Habs Fan.

slocheauska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 09:55 AM
hellojp

Has RDS being using harsher headlines as of late? à

YES... However it has only been "as of late"... I find the media in general pre-mid February in general has been VERY lenient towards the Habs. Maybe because it's the 100th, or something else...

Regardless... the habs need to pull up their freaking socks and play before it's too late... or is it already to late???

hellojp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:05 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

It's not so much about the choice of words, but more so about the utter unprofessionalism that rds.ca keeps promoting.

As a journalism student, I had to email them on two separate occasions in the last month to notify them of extremely bad unprofessional articles. Whether it was subjective titles, huge syntax errors, bad grammar, wrong choice of words, bad copy and paste, time and gender mistakes, it kept piling up. When you got titles like ''Un peu de sérieux s.v.p.'', it gets pretty pitiful.

I don't know where RDS gets their website writers, but some of them are either extremely untalented, or half-ass most of their work.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Not all of them. I don't listen to 110%. THEY are hacks. And people who join they are as bad as the hacks. I guess Marinaro and Stock need the money that l'Union des Artistes prescribes TQS to give...

However, I like the Antichambre formula. I take Bergeron with a grain of salt, but he DOES have experience in an NHL locker room, and things haven't really changed that much.

Antichambre has some good guests. And Alain Crête is a host that I've always liked. I like flynn because he brings some interesting technical points. He knows s hit about the players, but he's one of the rare invities that can talk real hockey with the boys.

I love Mathias Brunet. I love JF Bégin. I have great respect for vets like Pedneault and Raymond. I'm always interested by what Tremblay brings, even though I don't like the guy. Just like Ronald King. I hate Michel Blanchard, because I know how he really is in life. I like François Gagnon, even though his head got big since he left Gatineau. Marc De Foy and Pierre Durocher are good, even though I'm not a big fan of their lockout.

I do believe there's more to the stories that the media is letting us know. I do believe that the La Presse story is nothing, but should have been something. I do believe that the Habs' lawyers (very powerful ones in the Montreal sphere by the way), and Boivin did their job in all of the scandals that were supposed to come out.

And I do believe that they will come out eventually, this summer, like they always do in Montreal.

Players brought all this onto themselves. People say that parties go on all the time in the NHL, that some hang out with shady characters all the time. And it's all true. I've experienced it first hand. But does it make it right? Do we need another Pat Burns-like coach, who controls ALL clubs in Montreal with paybacks if they keep the team informed?
You completely missed the point.

The guy that started the thread doesn't blame the media or any of that.

110% is a sports show where they mostly comment/analyze everything surrounding the Habs. Likewise with L'Antichambre and La Zone. The ''analyst'' that appear on those shows are there to discuss things.

This is completely different from a journalist that's supposed to write an article that sums up the game.

RDS writers are bad and will lead their readers towards the opinion they want them to have. As a journalist, you have to be very careful which words you use depending on the type of article you want to write. They clearly don't know this.
But I'm not surprised seeing as they have a cast of mediocre journalist/analyst/commentators that have a hard time expressing themselves correctly on live tv.

Nobody's blaming the media for the lack of success, he just said that he's sick and tired of RDS hiring unqualified personal to cover the biggest NHL franchise. Most of them are completely unprofessional.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my ears

Agree with Freaky Habs. It was my first reaction when I read the headlines on RDS.ca. I mean really, what kind of message are we sending. Price may have been horrible this game, but the habs as a whole "sabote la saison". No use in picking players one by one. Halak came in made miraculous saves, and we still lost, when Price was playing well, we lost again. This media tends to make matters worst with their choice of words.

That being said, i would go with Halak the rest of the season. Give Price a chance to recoup.

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Gary320

Id agree with the OP. I've noticed since 2009, RDS in it self as taken a huge u-turn. They seem to think that 110% is a success thus do how 110% does. I mean Antichambre started out well, I enjoyed it.. but then the show become 110%'s clone.

I have no problem with having an opinion on a game/player.. but the way they have done it the past few games.. its really objective. This isnt "MONTGOMERYS HABS BLOG" it's RDS.ca.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote