HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News & Notes 2009 I

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2009, 01:52 AM
HTFN

vCash: 500
He's a bone crusher, just like his brother. Not anything to write home about when it comes to playing defense, but he's not a huge liability the way Schultz is. I'd actually like him to make a decent career here as a player.

Old
03-16-2009, 08:09 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauntsghost View Post
He's a bone crusher, just like his brother. Not anything to write home about when it comes to playing defense, but he's not a huge liability the way Schultz is. I'd actually like him to make a decent career here as a player.

We're not really saying that Kronwall is better defensively than Schultz are we? That's crazy talk.

Old
03-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

There isn't much point trying to convince people of Schultz' positive attributes. The team appreciates them just fine, and that's all that matters.

Schultz would be far more popular with fans if he were 5' 11", yet because he has size, he's expected to be a physical hitter.

Schultz is a mobile puckmover, with a good first pass, who happens to be tall. He could stand to work on his skating, to be sure, as he can get beat. Yet he's a puckmover who will probably never be a guy with a lot of snarl. As long as he doesn't get too expensive, that's a valuable player. Pair him with a decent defenseman with wheels. If the club adds a guy who can play with Green at some point, Schultz can play with Poti.

Old
03-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
There isn't much point trying to convince people of Schultz' positive attributes. The team appreciates them just fine, and that's all that matters.

Schultz would be far more popular with fans if he were 5' 11", yet because he has size, he's expected to be a physical hitter.

Schultz is a mobile puckmover, with a good first pass, who happens to be tall. He could stand to work on his skating, to be sure, as he can get beat. Yet he's a puckmover who will probably never be a guy with a lot of snarl. As long as he doesn't get too expensive, that's a valuable player. Pair him with a decent defenseman with wheels. If the club adds a guy who can play with Green at some point, Schultz can play with Poti.
Exactly. I agree with every single word.

Old
03-16-2009, 09:23 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Schultz is a ditchdigger. And that's just fine. The world needs them too. As long he's paid at a level commensurate with his ability, rather than his draft position, I'll gladly keep him.

Old
03-16-2009, 10:50 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

I actually disagree somewhat. I see Schultz as neither a puckmover, nor mobile. He's a positional defensive guy with a decent stick, and not much more, IMO. He's as uncomfortable and awkward with the puck as any defenseman on the Caps, Jurcina included. I think he'd be fine with a mobile partner in a third pairing role at this point, and that he'll comfortably be a solid #3-4 in the future, so long as the skating does improve.

Old
03-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Devil Dancer

I think Mo is the most awkward and uncomfortable with the puck of the bunch. I hate it when he's out there with the top line because you know he's going to turn it over if he touches it.

Old
03-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Morrisonn will probably end up being the team's first cap casualty since the rebuild, and one whose loss isn't going to be missed by this fan, anyway.

Schultz' mobility can certainly be questioned, but I do believe he is an excellent puckmover, not insofar as his ability to skate the puck up ice, but his first pass.

Old
03-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:

I'm not meaning to pick on you Drake, but I have never really understood this. How can you be mobile, while at the same time need to work on skating? Don't those 2 things fly right in the face of each other? To be "mobile", doesn't one need to be fast?

Old
03-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I actually disagree somewhat. I see Schultz as neither a puckmover, nor mobile. He's a positional defensive guy with a decent stick, and not much more, IMO. He's as uncomfortable and awkward with the puck as any defenseman on the Caps, Jurcina included. I think he'd be fine with a mobile partner in a third pairing role at this point, and that he'll comfortably be a solid #3-4 in the future, so long as the skating does improve.
While I agree with your questions about his mobility, I think Jeff Schultz is the best defenseman we have at passing the puck out of the zone these days. Poti seems to be struggling, and he's really the only other d-man we have with any real skill at it. When Schultz gets the puck on his stick, it ends up on a forward's stick more often than any other d-man we have.

Old
03-16-2009, 11:57 AM
TheGoldenJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
This.

Old
03-16-2009, 11:58 AM
txpd

1. Its been said about Schultz for a while now. He will be hated because he is big and doesnt hit. Why can't he be Hal Gill. He was drafted as an offensive defenseman, not a lumberjack, but that has never sunk in.

2. Schultz puck movement is smooth and reliable. He is not known for turnovers. Getting beat one on one or knocked down by a much smaller player, sure. Bad passes, not so much.

3. Schultz is a key penalty killer and he rarely makes mistakes in that role. With his reach and good stick he covers a vast amount of ice and closes off big passing lanes. He doesn't wiff and chunk clearing attempts as Steckel and Erskine are known to regularly do.

4. IIRC, Schultz best partner has been Pothier. Pothier is a great skater and a veteran. He makes up for Schultz's lack of speed and experience and has been the perfect compliment to Schultz size and reach. I would imagine that when Pothier returns we will see Mo-Green, Poti-Jurcina, Pothier-Schultz

Old
03-16-2009, 12:03 PM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
Quote:

oh no, if schultz were 5' 11 he would not play in the nhl, right now he is in the line up because hes young and big, not cuz hes a great defender.

Old
03-16-2009, 12:39 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

My problem with Schultz's puck movement is his ability to transistion his defensive play into offensive play. When he's given time, sure he makes accurate outlet passes. But when he's pressured, he can't seem to get a handle on the puck to get it moving. He's also a master of establishing the forecheck on himself by taking so bloody long to get control of the puck. Its especially painful to watch on the PK, which contributes to the Caps being one of the worst teams in the league at clearing the puck out of the zone.

@txpd: I agree with you that he's essentially a Hal Gill. He'd be a solid player if he was paired effectively.

Old
03-16-2009, 02:29 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
1. Its been said about Schultz for a while now. He will be hated because he is big and doesnt hit. Why can't he be Hal Gill. He was drafted as an offensive defenseman, not a lumberjack, but that has never sunk in.

2. Schultz puck movement is smooth and reliable. He is not known for turnovers. Getting beat one on one or knocked down by a much smaller player, sure. Bad passes, not so much.

3. Schultz is a key penalty killer and he rarely makes mistakes in that role. With his reach and good stick he covers a vast amount of ice and closes off big passing lanes. He doesn't wiff and chunk clearing attempts as Steckel and Erskine are known to regularly do.

4. IIRC, Schultz best partner has been Pothier. Pothier is a great skater and a veteran. He makes up for Schultz's lack of speed and experience and has been the perfect compliment to Schultz size and reach. I would imagine that when Pothier returns we will see Mo-Green, Poti-Jurcina, Pothier-Schultz

1. Offensive Defenseman? He was? I mean he put up decent #s in Calgary, but did anyone really believe he was going to be an offensive defender at this level with his footspeed? I have a much bigger issue with him getting constantly bowled over by smaller forwards and beaten to loose pucks repeatedly, than I do with his lack of a mean streak.

4. Erskine?

Old
03-16-2009, 03:50 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2010 View Post
1. Offensive Defenseman? He was? I mean he put up decent #s in Calgary, but did anyone really believe he was going to be an offensive defender at this level with his footspeed? I have a much bigger issue with him getting constantly bowled over by smaller forwards and beaten to loose pucks repeatedly, than I do with his lack of a mean streak.

4. Erskine?
Erskine will probably rotate with Jurcina and Pothier. He's shown that his effectiveness wanes when he's overworked, so some breaks here and there could be a real boon. I wouldn't put him as the primary scratch (if you had to break it down that way) where he'd get the most time off, but I think he is going to be one of the guys you see out once in a while.

Old
03-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

He's Tarik's story on Brooksy. I love that guy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...031802779.html

Old
03-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

"If I asked you about your family, you would talk about them forever because it's something you love," Laich said. "That's the way I feel about this team. This team is my life, and I love playing here and I'm passionate about playing hockey. So it's easy for me to talk about it."

thats so infectious.
just like ovi's passion is infectious.

the superstar offensive player and the hard working utility cover just about everyone in terms of who the other guys on the team can strive to be.

Old
03-18-2009, 06:25 PM
txpd

Tarik's editor failed him in the Ladies Man story. The Caps lost the LA Kings game.

Old
03-18-2009, 07:25 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
He's Tarik's story on Brooksy. I love that guy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...031802779.html
Good to see Brooksie getting some much deserved ink.

Old
03-20-2009, 09:10 AM
sk84fun_dc

Laing - one and done, out with a torn spleen, speedy recovery wishes being sent his way

Green - not practicing today, no surprise

link

Old
03-20-2009, 09:16 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Laing - one and done, out with a torn spleen, speedy recovery wishes being sent his way

link
Ouch !! Wth that is some bad luck.

03-20-2009, 09:32 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post

link
Damn, sucks for QLaing.

And I guess Greener's wind is still knocked out of him, eh?

Old
03-20-2009, 09:38 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Who's the best PK'er in Hershey right now?

Joudrey?

Old
03-20-2009, 09:43 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Who's the best PK'er in Hershey right now?

Joudrey?
Yes, Joudrey. (as an additional note, he's also the guy out there when Hershey is killing a 5 on 3)

But Bourque spends a lot of time on the PK, too; and Beagle's PK time recently has been more noticeable, IMO.

The first PK last Sunday was Joudrey and Pinizzotto and IIRC, the second was Boruque and Beagle. Giroux and Gordon among others also see some time on the PK.

Closed Thread