HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Stevens ponders changes for Flyers

Old
03-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Mota

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
I doubt there's any way Carcillo plays on the 2nd line. Or if he does, this team is more screwed than we can imagine.
This team doesnt have traditionally ranked lines....they pretty much have a top 9 who all see similar ice time at even strenght.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Gagne-Briere-Giroux
Hartnell-Richards-Carcillo
Knuble-Carter-Lupul

Whoa, let's not get carried away.

I like Carcillo, but I think if I see him on the 2nd line...I might just go ballistic.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I don't see why you'd want to bump the teams leading scorer from the 1st line to the 3rd...but hey, that's just me.
I like Steven's taking some small risks and exploring the possibility of making the team better overall. Richie's production might take a slight hit, but I think we could see much greater production from his new linemates.

If not, we can always go back to what we had before, I don't think Stevens said anything about sticking with this for the rest of the year.

I don't see a lot of harm in the move and think it could yield some good results.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 05:43 PM
XS Chop

He could have the top 9 draw straws for their spots and end up with good lines. What Stevens needs to be pondering is why a pretty skilled and talented defense still looks lost in their own zone at this point in the season. Thats the single biggest issue he has control over right now that directly effects our playoff success.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 05:46 PM
trees17

gagne-briere-lupul
hartnell- richards- giroux
carcillo-carter-knuble

i think carcillo would be able to get the puck to carter enough that it would create good things...

these line combos would be some shake up though!

trees17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 05:47 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS Chop View Post
He could have the top 9 draw straws for their spots and end up with good lines. What Stevens needs to be pondering is why a pretty skilled and talented defense still looks lost in their own zone at this point in the season. Thats the single biggest issue he has control over right now that directly effects our playoff success.
Abso-****ing-lutely

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
I like Steven's taking some small risks and exploring the possibility of making the team better overall. Richie's production might take a slight hit, but I think we could see much greater production from his new linemates.

If not, we can always go back to what we had before, I don't think Stevens said anything about sticking with this for the rest of the year.

I don't see a lot of harm in the move and think it could yield some good results.
Very true. Guess it depends on how Stevens tries to match the lines. With Richards on the 3rd line (for sake of arguement), who does he match up against when we play the Pens? Maybe that's how I'm looking at it, who knows. I know Richards is pretty flexible and seems to be able to play with most people...but as the leading scorer of the team, I just don't know if I'd be in a rush to break that up.

I know if it doesn't work, Stevens will re-adjust...so it's all good.

Old
03-19-2009, 05:59 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin018 View Post
I am not sure what Gagne has done in the last month to justify his place on that first line,
Awesome

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 06:11 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
According to Timmah on CSN, these are the new lines:

Gagne -- Giroux -- Knuble
Briere -- Carter -- Hartnell
Carcillo -- Richards -- Lupul
Asham -- Powe -- Cote
I'd love to know which of these lines Stevens plans to use to shut down Vanek. I love Giroux, but I don't think he's experienced enough to shut down one of the league's top scorers. Briere isn't nearly strong enough defensively, and neither is Carcillo or Lupul.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Miss Mess

Interesting news. I figured they'd just put Briere in Lupul's slot sooner or later. But it appears all three lines are changing. I'm sort of relieved that something changed, we need a spark. We need three lines rolling, not just one a game.

All the players seemed pleased with it in their interviews, should be fun to see how this goes tomorrow. I think the Briere-Carter-Hartnell line has potential to be scary good....we'll see

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Quote:
Very true. Guess it depends on how Stevens tries to match the lines. With Richards on the 3rd line (for sake of arguement), who does he match up against when we play the Pens? Maybe that's how I'm looking at it, who knows. I know Richards is pretty flexible and seems to be able to play with most people...but as the leading scorer of the team, I just don't know if I'd be in a rush to break that up.

I know if it doesn't work, Stevens will re-adjust...so it's all good.
Good point I hadn't really considered. Definitely have to wonder about how Gagne-Giroux-Knuble would matchup with Kunitz-Crosby-Guerin if these lines stick for more than a game. Is Stevens trying to say that he thinks Giroux is as defensively advanced as Richards?

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 08:45 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Good point I hadn't really considered. Definitely have to wonder about how Gagne-Giroux-Knuble would matchup with Kunitz-Crosby-Guerin if these lines stick for more than a game. Is Stevens trying to say that he thinks Giroux is as defensively advanced as Richards?
Or you just match Carcillo-Richards-Lupul against them. I can't imagine any way Stevens doesn't play Richards against Crosby.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Briere would get more ice time if they stopped taking stupid penalties.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Shoeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Or you just match Carcillo-Richards-Lupul against them. I can't imagine any way Stevens doesn't play Richards against Crosby.
Carcillo shouldnt be matched up with any teams first line. He is a defensive liability. Carcillo may start on the third line, but he will get a bad penalty and will be benched and Asham will be on the third line.

Anyone else find it ironic that Stevens would put Upshall in his doghouse and now he's complaining about the team lacking energy.

Shoeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:33 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
According to Timmah on CSN, these are the new lines:

Gagne -- Giroux -- Knuble
Briere -- Carter -- Hartnell
Carcillo -- Richards -- Lupul
Asham -- Powe -- Cote
i like it. We have 2 pure snipers on the team in Gagne and Carter, put them with our best passers seems logical then allow them to have the guy thats goes to the net too. Richards will would work well with Lupul and keep Carcillo in check. Honestly toughness and 4-line needs aside, We have Carter Richards, Briere and Giroux as our centers, we need to be playing A LOT better than this.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:45 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeny View Post
Carcillo shouldnt be matched up with any teams first line. He is a defensive liability. Carcillo may start on the third line, but he will get a bad penalty and will be benched and Asham will be on the third line.
Fine, put Asham there, it doesn't really change much. The reason these guys are on the wing is because their defensive responsibilities are smallest there. Crosby generally works on the rush and down low. Wings tend not to get abused as much in those situations.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 12:26 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeny View Post

Anyone else find it ironic that Stevens would put Upshall in his doghouse and now he's complaining about the team lacking energy.
To be fair, Upshall wasn't in the doghouse at all this year. Last year he was without a doubt, but he worked out of that come the playoffs last year.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Opus

Quote:
Well, these are the starting lines for tonight, let's assume they stick...

Quote:
12 Simon Gagne -- 28 Claude Giroux -- 22 Mike Knuble
19 Scott Hartnell -- 17 Jeff Carter -- 48 Danny Briere
13 Daniel Carcillo -- 18 Mike Richards -- 15 Joffrey Lupul
32 Riley Cote -- 36 Darroll Powe -- 45 Arron Asham

When we play the Pens, I don't think I like these lines and their matchups.

Richards is, IMO best to match Crosby...but with Lupul and Carcillo...heh. I don't know.

Briere on the ice against Malkin kinda worries me, especially the way he's been skating.

Giroux, the kid has been awesome...but those are two matchups I'd rather not see at this stage in the season.

We shall see!

Old
03-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
....at least he stopped baking cakes.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Defmincex13

Quote:
Originally Posted by letitrain View Post
Briere would get more ice time if they stopped taking stupid penalties.
very true

Defmincex13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carle Winslow View Post
....at least he stopped baking cakes.
Heh, I'm in the midst of baking a pie.

You have something against baking?

Old
03-20-2009, 10:36 AM
dr.rosenrosen

Quote:

Richards is, IMO best to match Crosby...but with Lupul and Carcillo...heh. I don't know.

Briere on the ice against Malkin kinda worries me, especially the way he's been skating.

Giroux, the kid has been awesome...but those are two matchups I'd rather not see at this stage in the season.

We shall see!
luckily sunday is our last pens game of the year. hopefully the will drop a spot or two and we won't see them in the playoffs.

dr.rosenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:36 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Heh, I'm in the midst of baking a pie.

You have something against baking?
You wanna bake with me sometime?

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.rosenrosen View Post
luckily sunday is our last pens game of the year. hopefully the will drop a spot or two and we won't see them in the playoffs.
The Penguins will make the playoffs. Since firing Therrien and trading for Kunitz, they have really been on fire. Of course, I would rather they weren't...but I don't think that's likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
You wanna bake with me sometime?

Pervert!

Old
03-20-2009, 10:40 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:

We shall see!
You have to remember that we are playing the Pens away, they get last change. At least Gagne is with Giroux. 95% of the time we have Gagne, Richards, or Carter out there. Plus if Carcillo can play with controlled energy and not only Malkin, but get him to start shoving and take him for 2 minutes each, that would be a plus.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote