HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stevens ponders changes for Flyers

Old
03-20-2009, 10:45 AM
TheKingPin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
The Penguins will make the playoffs. Since firing Therrien and trading for Kunitz, they have really been on fire. Of course, I would rather they weren't...but I don't think that's likely.

Pervert!
Im hoping the Devils play the Pens. The Caps are in second right now but have played 3 game more than the devils. The Pens have played a game more than the rags. Its a long shot, but still something worth rooting for. I think we can beat anyone else in the East, but the Devils. I want to see how the Pens are playing Sunday before I say we cant beat them in a best of seven. I mean they are playing good teams during their streak, but mostly lesser teams. We have played the Devils, Caps, Bruins, Wings, and Flames in our last bunch of games....

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:49 AM
dr.rosenrosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
The Penguins will make the playoffs. Since firing Therrien and trading for Kunitz, they have really been on fire. Of course, I would rather they weren't...but I don't think that's likely.
oh i know they will make the playoffs but if they drop down a spot to 6th or 7th that would be great. i'd like to see a first round match up between the pens and caps. let them kill each other for 7 games.

also i hated the fact that they picked up kunitz, i like him and he was on my fantasy for a minute. now i have to hate him.

dr.rosenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
You have to remember that we are playing the Pens away, they get last change. At least Gagne is with Giroux. 95% of the time we have Gagne, Richards, or Carter out there. Plus if Carcillo can play with controlled energy and not only Malkin, but get him to start shoving and take him for 2 minutes each, that would be a plus.
Good point. I still think it's a lot to ask of Giroux. Not the most ideal of matchups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Im hoping the Devils play the Pens. The Caps are in second right now but have played 3 game more than the devils. The Pens have played a game more than the rags. Its a long shot, but still something worth rooting for. I think we can beat anyone else in the East, but the Devils. I want to see how the Pens are playing Sunday before I say we cant beat them in a best of seven. I mean they are playing good teams during their streak, but mostly lesser teams. We have played the Devils, Caps, Bruins, Wings, and Flames in our last bunch of games....
Devils vs. Penguins would be ideal. And with any luck, it would go 7 games. I don't want to have anything to do with the Devils, as I think the East goes thru them. I'm not too worried about Boston, and we've beaten the Caps. With a healthy team, and some discipline (ie: stay the **** out of the box), I think we can beat them in a 7 game series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.rosenrosen View Post
oh i know they will make the playoffs but if they drop down a spot to 6th or 7th that would be great. i'd like to see a first round match up between the pens and caps. let them kill each other for 7 games.

also i hated the fact that they picked up kunitz, i like him and he was on my fantasy for a minute. now i have to hate him.
So long as we don't draw them in the 1st round, I'll be happy. Either the Devils orr Caps...I'd rather see them play the Devils myself.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:57 AM
dr.rosenrosen

i wished the season ended when florida was in 5th and the pens were out of it. that would have been great. i really don't want to play the devils, pens or caps. pens and caps especially, they will get those crappy calls like in the rangers game last week and it will drive me nuts. richards will look at crosby and he will fall down and richie will get 2 minutes for roughing. same goes for the caps. the devils i won't mind so much gut they just seem to be on a hot streak right now.

dr.rosenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Mr Oysterhead

Thought this was relevant enough to post here, found it from MSE's gdt. http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app?artic...e&service=page

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:19 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Personally... I dont think Gags and Giroux work well (based off the games they played together)... Im a bigger fan of Giroux and Richards... Oh well. This doesnt go to say though that Grioux finally has legit linemates. Hopefully Gags will finish Giroux's passes

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:36 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Personally... I dont think Gags and Giroux work well (based off the games they played together)... Im a bigger fan of Giroux and Richards... Oh well. This doesnt go to say though that Grioux finally has legit linemates. Hopefully Gags will finish Giroux's passes
Only one who I think could/would finish Giroux's passes better is Carter maybe

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Only one who I think could/would finish Giroux's passes better is Carter maybe
I agree

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Stonehands77

Stevens ponders changes? Hmm, like a defensive system for the team to employ, perhaps? Or maybe figuring out a way to break out of their own end?

I really wish the Pens could've kept their idiot head coach a bit longer. It was a lot of fun seeing them on the verge of not making the playoffs.

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Defmincex13

this game tonight is huge for Briere. He can use this game in Buffalo to jump start himself for the rest of the season. We need him to produce if we are to go any were come the playoffs. No better place then Buffalo. It worked for Biron week or so ago. Its Danny's turn.

*** Side Note: Anyone buy there Nine Inch Nails/Janes Addiction tickets today!??!?!

Defmincex13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 03:01 PM
TheKingPin

I dont think it was the coaching change, more them getting a scoring winger and Gonchar back.

Old
03-20-2009, 09:19 PM
twenty2

Anyone here still complaining about the new lines?

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 09:23 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Can we get a photoshop of Stevens on Rodin's "The Thinker"?

Call it The Ponderer...er

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 09:24 PM
DrHamburg

I thought the Gagne Giroux and Knuble line was pretty solid tonight. Although I think it was kinda hard to judge the new lines considering how many penalties were in the game.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 01:52 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
Anyone here still complaining about the new lines?
Yes. The team's captain and leading scorer is saddled with two useless lumps at even strength.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 04:33 AM
twenty2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Yes. The team's captain and leading scorer is saddled with two useless lumps at even strength.
Richards is going to get his points regardless. Please tell me if you think otherwise.

On top of that I'd MUCH rather have Briere on the 2nd line with Carter and Hartnell than Lupul.

Then my biggest concern was the top line, but when I watched Giroux make some of those passes I realized for the first time that he was as patient if not more patient of a passer than Richards. I knew he had the eyes for setting people up, but this was the first time I saw the thinking-two-steps-ahead passes. Personally I loved it.

So then Richards gets trapped on the 3rd line with "two useless lumps at even strength". Actually Richards could do a lot worse. Remember why Lupul had a 0.8 PPG year last season when healthy? Richards made him better. And well Carcillo is Carcillo. No arguing with you there. I still say Richards will get his points and his ice time.

Old
03-21-2009, 07:19 AM
riskyxxbusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
I thought the Gagne Giroux and Knuble line was pretty solid tonight. Although I think it was kinda hard to judge the new lines considering how many penalties were in the game.
saw two things from this line, one good, one bad.

good: knuble is exactly what giroux needs right now, or maybe the other way around. claude loves those little drop passes and sneak-throughs around the net, and mike has the stability to withstand the physical crap it takes to finish them...like asham kinda did, but much more effective.

bad: as i noticed the first time they played together, gagne seems to be a step behind giroux with the passes. even when he knows they are coming, he has trouble handling them for some reason. kinda worrisome. hopefully with a few games, it'll work itself out.

riskyxxbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 08:35 AM
duffy9748

Was watching the highlights and on brieres second goal i noticed that Richards and Carter were out there with him. Anyone think Richards and Carter will play on the same line at times such as Malkin/Crosby and Forsberg/Sakic use to do.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 08:46 AM
MiD

last minute of the second period... defensive zone face-off... that's why Carter, Richards and Briere were on the same line...

MiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 08:47 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Was watching the highlights and on brieres second goal i noticed that Richards and Carter were out there with him. Anyone think Richards and Carter will play on the same line at times such as Malkin/Crosby and Forsberg/Sakic use to do.
It was a def zone face off and I assume dummy wanted 3 centers out to take the draw

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 08:50 AM
twenty2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiD View Post
last minute of the second period... defensive zone face-off... that's why Carter, Richards and Briere were on the same line...
Why not Richards - Carter - Gagne then?

Old
03-21-2009, 08:59 AM
MiD

wild quess?? Gagne-Giroux-Knuble just finished shift... but 3 centers is my choice

MiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 11:30 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Why not Richards - Carter - Gagne then?
Well, the regular line was Briere-Carter-Hartnell, so Stevens probably took off Hartnell and threw out Carter choosing not to think of Briere as a center or something haha.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Richards is going to get his points regardless. Please tell me if you think otherwise.

On top of that I'd MUCH rather have Briere on the 2nd line with Carter and Hartnell than Lupul.

Then my biggest concern was the top line, but when I watched Giroux make some of those passes I realized for the first time that he was as patient if not more patient of a passer than Richards. I knew he had the eyes for setting people up, but this was the first time I saw the thinking-two-steps-ahead passes. Personally I loved it.

So then Richards gets trapped on the 3rd line with "two useless lumps at even strength". Actually Richards could do a lot worse. Remember why Lupul had a 0.8 PPG year last season when healthy? Richards made him better. And well Carcillo is Carcillo. No arguing with you there. I still say Richards will get his points and his ice time.
Oh he'll get his points when he happens to not be on the ice with those two (special teams, line change situations like last night's goal with Briere). But I could care less about his points. You want Lupul and Carcillo matched up with Crosby on Sunday?

Gagne-Richards-Knuble were just named the league's third most effective line by some publication (HN?) because of their ability to shut down opposing lines and score. Now one of the league's best defensive players is centering two huge defensive liabilities that I don't want anywhere near Crosby.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:52 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Oh he'll get his points when he happens to not be on the ice with those two (special teams, line change situations like last night's goal with Briere). But I could care less about his points. You want Lupul and Carcillo matched up with Crosby on Sunday?

Gagne-Richards-Knuble were just named the league's third most effective line by some publication (HN?) because of their ability to shut down opposing lines and score. Now one of the league's best defensive players is centering two huge defensive liabilities that I don't want anywhere near Crosby.
as far a sRichards new line scoring, give it time. As far as getting scored against, we'll see. It dosent look promising, but Carcillo seemed more directed when playing with Richie. If Lupul and Carcillo hustle to pucks, they should be ok.