HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks sign free agent forward Eric Walsky

Old
03-20-2009, 04:19 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

vCash: 500
Whoops, didn't see this thread. Mine got deleted anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMind View Post
Another article on Walsky on why he left UAA and joined Colorado College:

http://dwb.adn.com/sports/story/7957536p-7851042c.html
Sounds like an intelligent guy.

I have to say I love this direction that the organization is taking - signing college free agents. Worst case scenario is that the guy doesn't pan out. We lose no assets in the long-run. Great move.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 04:23 PM
pitseleh

I wonder if the Canucks had a bit of an inside edge because this is about as close to a homecoming Walsky would have had available (being from Alaska)?

Just looking through the list of names that Hanky posted, Bozak played Junior B in Victoria, MacIntyre is from Sooke, and Thiessen is from Aldergrove.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 04:25 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPokey View Post
The college guys are older, stronger and more mature and able to deal with the pro game much quicker than most junior prospects. I hope there are more signings on the way.
I complete dispute this. College's laughable schedule imo puts them light years behind the CHL in terms of NHL readiness.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 04:28 PM
windflare

Roger Takahashi making workout/strength plan for him, then sent to Manitoba:

Quote:
Vancouver Canucks general manager Mike Gillis added another player Friday to his organization when he signed NCAA free agent Eric Walsky, a right-winger who will report directly to the American Hockey League’s Manitoba Moose.

The 24-year-old Walsky completed his university career Saturday at Colorado College where he had 36 points in 38 games for the Tigers. He finished in a tie for 10th in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association scoring race.

On Friday, Walsky watched the Canucks practise at GM Place and then worked out for strength and conditioning coach Roger Takahashi. He will fly to Winnipeg Saturday to join the Scott Arniel-coached Moose.

“Roger is going to design a plan for Eric and then he’s going to begin practising and playing with Manitoba,” said Gillis, who described Walsky as a forward with “tremendous” skating and puck-handling skills. “It will be up to Scott Arniel when he plays, but they have some injuries there so we are anticipating getting him into the lineup fairly quickly.”

The first-place Moose are in Chicago Friday and in Rockford, Ill., Saturday night, then begin a six-game homestand Tuesday against the Syracuse Crunch.

“Obviously I’m really excited about joining the organization,” said Walsky, a native of Anchorage, Alaska.

Walsky sounds like an interesting individual off the ice as he is completing his thesis on “atheist identity.”
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/T...569/story.html

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Wayne Maki

Anyone hear anything besides "speedy" and "puck-skills" regarding him? I think we are pretty much covered in young speedy wingers now.

Wayne Maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 04:37 PM
timorousme
luongod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killface View Post
Anyone hear anything besides "speedy" and "puck-skills" regarding him? I think we are pretty much covered in young speedy wingers now.
whatever. if he pans out, trade him for something we need.

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 04:39 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
I highly doubt this guy will see much action in the NHL.

Old
03-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Yah, I mean who the heck wants those qualities in a player. I prefer speed with no puck-skills like Raymond way more.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 04:43 PM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
I complete dispute this. College's laughable schedule imo puts them light years behind the CHL in terms of NHL readiness.
You seem very contrarian. And very wrong. Are you actually claiming that 23-24 year-olds coming out of college are less physically able to handle the pro game than 19-20 year-olds coming out of junior?

Don't be silly.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 04:45 PM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Can you substantiate this or are you talking out of your ass? Have you seen him play? Have you read a professional scouting report on him? What's your evidence for such a claim?

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 04:46 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlak View Post
You seem very contrarian. And very wrong. Are you actually claiming that 23-24 year-olds coming out of college are less physically able to handle the pro game than 19-20 year-olds coming out of junior?

Don't be silly.
I think it's a fair assumption to make that players who play the smaller college schedules would not be used to the rigors of an 82 game schedule + playoffs.

But at the same time, I know the reason Brian Burke likes signing college players is because less games means more time in the weight room, which - if true - would completely negate any conditioning worries.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 04:47 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Can you substantiate this or are you talking out of your ass? Have you seen him play? Have you read a professional scouting report on him? What's your evidence for such a claim?
Statistics. I could win the lottery tomorrow too.

Old
03-20-2009, 04:48 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Yeah, because no undrafted players ever achieve success in the NHL.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 04:48 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Dug this article up:

http://www.adn.com/sports/story/596798.html

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 04:49 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:

Don't be silly.
Physically handle, perhaps. But are they more able to adjust to a grueling 82 game schedule? which, i believe was my point. Ive seen many college kids struggle in the AHL or even the NHL with the load of games. Its a big jump and harder than you'd think.

Old
03-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
But at the same time, I know the reason Brian Burke likes signing college players is because less games means more time in the weight room, which - if true - would completely negate any conditioning worries.
Other than the 50 pro contract limit - it seems to me a low risk move that costs you zero draft picks and cash (which the Canucks, being profitable, shouldn't be a huge concern).

I consider these guys kind of like getting free lottery tickets.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 04:52 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Yeah, because no undrafted players ever achieve success in the NHL.

ROFLZ the theme of this board should be "The exception is always the best argument"

Baw ha ha ha ha ha!

For every Burrows their are approximately 10,217,515 Tim Smiths.

Please. this argument is laughable.

Old
03-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Red

Great low-risk move. Certainly seems like he has some 3rd line upside. Hopefully someone who has seen him play from the boards can chime in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Other than the 50 pro contract limit
Just wondering, anyone know how many of the 50 pro contract limit the Canucks have filled up? I know the Oilers were in trouble with it last year because they I think they had 49 or 50 pro contract at one point.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 04:54 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Other than the 50 pro contract limit - it seems to me a low risk move that costs you zero draft picks and cash (which the Canucks, being profitable, shouldn't be a huge concern).

I consider these guys kind of like getting free lottery tickets.
Agreed. Always good to sign guys to cheap contracts. Its a loooooong shot, however for him to have an extended NHL career.

Good move for the Moose, tho.

Old
03-20-2009, 04:56 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Just wondering, anyone know how many of the 50 pro contract limit the Canucks have filled up? I know the Oilers were in trouble with it last year because they I think they had 49 or 50 pro contract at one point.
NHLScap is usually comprehensive and they have the Canucks at 44 including Walsky. They shouldn't be in any trouble and they have a bunch of guys coming off contracts like Ouellet, Sanford, and Cowan at the end of the season.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 04:57 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
The farm system is weak because there aren't many prospects on it. Other than Grabner (and maybe McIver/Bolduc if you want to count low impact guys) there aren't any prospects that are significant contributors on the Moose. The rest of the quality players are AHL vets.

EDIT: Duh, forgot Schneider too.
but how much of that has to do with the relatively recent graduation of: Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Bieksa, Hansen, Raymond.......Rypien, Brown.......Bourdon.

All have graduated to the pros (or would have) since the lock-out. And we still have one blue chip prospect (as far as goalies can be a blue chipper anyways) and a legit top 6 prospect as you've mentioned both of which should (could) make the jump next season.

I guess it depends on how you define weak. when you've just had a group of prospects graduate, its going to be a little weak on top end talent. especially when your top prospect isn't on the farm. but imo if your farm system is adding 1-2 players every season, as ours has been the past 3-4 years and looks poised to continue to do, then I don't think you can call it a "weak" farm system.

no we don't have any probably superstars in our farmsystem. but we have a decent amount of potential.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Red

Quote:
For every Burrows their are approximately 10,217,515 Tim Smiths.
Sigh. The point is that you don't get a player like Burrows without going through some 20-30 Tim Smith's to get him. That's why teams are allowed to have 50 players signed at the same point, not just the 23 guys who are on the roster.

What's laughable is saying this guy will never play an NHL game without having ever seen him play, without knowing how he's developed, and all the while knowing that players like Burrows, Chris Kunitz, Andy McDonald, Andrew Ebbett, Dustin Penner, Ryan Carter, who have all had success in the NHL (and that's just the players the Ducks have signed through the college free agent route).

Old
03-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
NHLScap is usually comprehensive and they have the Canucks at 44 including Walsky. They shouldn't be in any trouble and they have a bunch of guys coming off contracts like Ouellet, Sanford, and Cowan at the end of the season.
I'd checked the site out for cap numbers but didn't know they had the complete list for all our contracts. Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Old
03-20-2009, 05:02 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Sigh. The point is that you don't get a player like Burrows without going through some 20-30 Tim Smith's to get him. That's why teams are allowed to have 50 players signed at the same point, not just the 23 guys who are on the roster.

What's laughable is saying this guy will never play an NHL game without having ever seen him play, without knowing how he's developed, and all the while knowing that players like Burrows, Chris Kunitz, Andy McDonald, Andrew Ebbett, Dustin Penner, Ryan Carter, who have all had success in the NHL (and that's just the players the Ducks have signed through the college free agent route).
Just putting the same heat on Gillis as other's in the media and on forums have put on our previous two GM's in the past for precisely this kind of signing.

Old
03-20-2009, 05:03 PM
DreamCatcher*

Other than being "speedy and skilled", he is intelligent and can dangle. I trust Gillis' evaluation on young talent because he is a former agent and they have to be superb in this department so it'll be interesting to see how well he develops.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote