HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks sign free agent forward Eric Walsky

Old
03-20-2009, 05:05 PM
The Overseer*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Statistics. I could win the lottery tomorrow too.
So, according to your statistical silliness, every prospect is "very unlikely" to play in the NHL. But to claim that is stupid. Some are more likely than others, based on their level of skill, determination, etc. To make an accurate assessment of a player's likeliness to play in the NHL you have to observe these factors. You haven't done this.

Did I really just have to explain that to you? Jesus Christ.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Overseer*

Quote:
Just putting the same heat on Gillis as other's in the media and on forums have put on our previous two GM's in the past for precisely this kind of signing.
When did Nonis or Burke sign a college UFA here in Vancouver? Are you talking out of your ass again?

Old
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
but how much of that has to do with the relatively recent graduation of: Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Bieksa, Hansen, Raymond.......Rypien, Brown.......Bourdon.

All have graduated to the pros (or would have) since the lock-out. And we still have one blue chip prospect (as far as goalies can be a blue chipper anyways) and a legit top 6 prospect as you've mentioned both of which should (could) make the jump next season.
Burrows/Rypien were AHL signings that made the jump (and so weren't really prospects in the same sense).

Teams with quality farm systems like Detroit consistenly have 5 or 6 good prospects on the farm. Like right now Detroit has Leino, Helm, Kindl, Ericsson, Larsson and Howard as quality players who have spent most of the season on the farm and a couple guys at the Bolduc level as well despite graduating Hudler, Filppula, Franzen, Kronwall, Quincey, Lebda, Kopecky, and Meech since the lockout.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 05:06 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlak View Post
So, according to your statistical silliness, every prospect is "very unlikely" to play in the NHL. But to claim that is stupid.
Sorry, let me make it more clear to you. Very, I mean, VERY few 25 year old, unsigned College players make it to the NHL to play enough to get a NHLPA pension.
Thats all. I wouldn't put money on it. Thats all I'm saying.

Good signing for the Moose.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 05:10 PM
alternate

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Burrows/Rypien were AHL signings that made the jump (and so weren't really prospects in the same sense).
doesn't matter. they still came through our "system" and that's the topic.

Quote:
Teams with quality farm systems like Detroit consistenly have 5 or 6 good prospects on the farm. Like right now Detroit has Leino, Helm, Kindl, Ericsson, and Howard as quality players who have spent most of the season on the farm and a couple guys at the Bolduc level as well despite graduating Hudler, Filppula, Franzen, Kronwall, Quincey, Lebda, Kopecky, and Meech since the lockout.
not being Detroit doesn't make us "weak". I'm not saying we're great. and there's always room for improvement. but our farm system has been at least "solid" the past 3-4 years and should continue to be so.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 05:11 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlak View Post
When did Nonis or Burke sign a college UFA here in Vancouver? Are you talking out of your ass again?
I'm talking about making depth signings for the Moose. Perhaps not NCAA, but from Europe, the CHL or otherwise

But wait, this isn't a depth signing for the Moose, its a potential star player in the making!

Old
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
ROFLZ the theme of this board should be "The exception is always the best argument"

Baw ha ha ha ha ha!

For every Burrows their are approximately 10,217,515 Tim Smiths.

Please. this argument is laughable.
So I assume you wrote off Burrows the same way you're writing off this guy?

In all likelihood you're probably right and he'll probably never play or be of any importance in the NHL...Thing is, I'm going to reserve judgment until I actually see this guy play before throwing him in the scrap heap.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Overseer*

Quote:
Sorry, let me make it more clear to you. Very, I mean, VERY few 25 year old, unsigned College players make it to the NHL to play enough to get a NHLPA pension.
Thats all. I wouldn't put money on it. Thats all I'm saying.

Good signing for the Moose.
How many college UFAs that get signed by NHL teams go on to play in the league? What are your stats on that?

Old
03-20-2009, 05:12 PM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Yah, I mean who the heck wants those qualities in a player. I prefer speed with no puck-skills like Raymond way more.
Uh sorry what? Raymond has loads of puck skills, he just has had zero confidence during the rough stretch he had.

BAuldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 05:12 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post

In all likelihood you're probably right and he'll probably never play or be of any importance in the NHL...Thing is, I'm going to reserve judgment until I actually see this guy play before throwing him in the scrap heap.
but then how can you say "I told you so"?

and I don't mean that towards LMG. he was defending Ellington so I don't think he's that guy. but there are some around here that are....

Old
03-20-2009, 05:15 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:

Been a fan of Burrows since I saw a couple Moose games in 2005 I believe. Its his work ethic, I think.

Anyhow, like I said, if you want to use the exception, go ahead. Like I said, it seems everyone here uses the exception in their arguments as if its an everyday occurrence.

Exceptions to the usual rule are hard to come by. I've never said once it isn't worth it to sign free agents out of college. But you're posting pictures of Alex Burrows for chrissake.

Old
03-20-2009, 05:17 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAuldie View Post
Uh sorry what? Raymond has loads of puck skills, he just has had zero confidence during the rough stretch he had.
I think so too. Raymond just seems a little to far above his head in the NHL, if you look at this season as a whole.

I think he will turn out into a solid NHL winger with decent skills.

Raymond was one of our better 2nd round selections, so its silly to complain about him...how many 2nd round picks play in the NHL as quickly as he does?

Old
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

There is a brief interview with Walsky up on CDC as apparently he watched the practice in Vancouver today prior to heading to Manitoba.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Been a fan of Burrows since I saw a couple Moose games in 2005 I believe. Its his work ethic, I think.

Anyhow, like I said, if you want to use the exception, go ahead. Like I said, it seems everyone here uses the exception in their arguments as if its an everyday occurrence.

Exceptions to the usual rule are hard to come by. I've never said once it isn't worth it to sign free agents out of college. But you're posting pictures of Alex Burrows for chrissake.
It was a bit in jest. Your original comment was a little...Harsh. I don't think anyone in here is touting this guy as a sure fire NHLer or a hot prospect or anything like that. It's a project, we all know that, we're all happy about it because we get him for free.

As I said, you're probably right. He'll probably never play in the NHL or make an impact in the NHL. Like I said, I just prefer not to write him off before seeing him play/develop under our system for awhile.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 05:19 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
not being Detroit doesn't make us "weak". I'm not saying we're great. and there's always room for improvement. but our farm system has been at least "solid" the past 3-4 years and should continue to be so.
Ernie said that the farm system is weak right now, which I took as a comment on the system right now rather than a comment on it as a whole.

I brought up Detroit because I know their system fairly well, but I bet you could find similar numbers from many other teams that draft well.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 05:21 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Ernie said that the farm system is weak right now, which I took as a comment on the system right now rather than a comment on it as a whole.

I brought up Detroit because I know their system fairly well, but I bet you could find similar numbers from many other teams that draft well.
fair enough and I'd agree. I took it as a comment on the system as a whole.

Old
03-20-2009, 05:22 PM
The Overseer*

Quote:
I'm talking about making depth signings for the Moose. Perhaps not NCAA, but from Europe, the CHL or otherwise

But wait, this isn't a depth signing for the Moose, its a potential star player in the making!
Nobody has claimed he's a star.

What "heat from the media and the forums" are you referring to and what depth signing for the Moose gave rise to this "heat" put on Burke and Nonis?

Old
03-20-2009, 05:23 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:

As I said, you're probably right. He'll probably never play in the NHL or make an impact in the NHL. Like I said, I just prefer not to write him off before seeing him play/develop under our system for awhile.
Agreed. I'd be happy if he turned into a good player for the Moose, thrilled if he were in line for call ups to Vancouver.

Old
03-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
Must get Gilroy, must get Gilroy, must... get... Gil.. roy..

*rocks in a corner*
There will be a bidding war for his services, and since he doesn't apply to entry-level deals, he can pretty much sign any type of contract for any amount of money. ex. 3 year, $9 million contracts. I don't see Gillis, the moneypuck expert, playing into that kind of trap.

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 05:46 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Quote:
Walsky sounds like an interesting individual off the ice as he is completing his thesis on atheist identity.
The basis of Eric Walsky's Thesis...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IyJp5dak9M

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 06:05 PM
jabberhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
The basis of Eric Walsky's Thesis...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IyJp5dak9M
This guy actually looks a little like Wellwood.

jabberhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 06:22 PM
NCPokey

Quote:
I complete dispute this. College's laughable schedule imo puts them light years behind the CHL in terms of NHL readiness.
First, I said pro-ready, not NHL ready. Secondly, there's no comparison between the mental and physical development of the average college player and the average junior player, not in any way because I think the CHL does a bad job of player development, but simply because the players are older, it's literally men versus boys. We've seen this in past years when CIS teams have beaten Canada's World Junior squads or CIS teams have beaten or completed well against NHL prospect squads. I seem to remember the UBC T-Birds beating the Canucks prospects a few times. I'm not saying that college prospects will be better in the end than a CHL prospect, just that they have the benefits of being older, stronger and wiser.

Your point about adapting to the NHL schedule is a good one though, the first pro season for a college player usually results in a very big mid-season drop-off when they run out of gas.

NCPokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Hyack57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
There is a brief interview with Walsky up on CDC as apparently he watched the practice in Vancouver today prior to heading to Manitoba.
And by Delorme's judgement watching practice is good enough.

Hyack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
I know nothing about the guy but signing somebody who is going to be 25 at his first AHL training camp is stretching it and why does Gillis have to sign him now? Unless he's planning to call somebody up and the Moose are saying we need a replacement.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 07:16 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
I know nothing about the guy but signing somebody who is going to be 25 at his first AHL training camp is stretching it and why does Gillis have to sign him now? Unless he's planning to call somebody up and the Moose are saying we need a replacement.
Because the college season just ended and they're all signing now?

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote