HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GIT 'ER DUN!!! Canes vs Isles

Old
03-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

vCash: 500
Yeah, I don't know about calling LaRose's drawn hook or not calling Babchuk's hook on the 2-on-1 (which did give us a 5-on-3), but the crosscheck was obvious. Clear as day.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 08:38 PM
dogbazinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
Give me a break. The goal was iffy, but legit. The cross check broke his stick. The missed hooking was really weak and the isles just got caught *****ing.
The thing is, those all could have gone the other way but they all went our way. Ill take it but we got help. Call it fate, luck, refs, whatever.

dogbazinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
The Islanders got boned there. We needed the win badly, but it sucks to get them that way. The Ruutu goal had no business being counted. Seriously. Cole clearly impeded the goaltender on that one.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 08:43 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
The Islanders got boned there. We needed the win badly, but it sucks to get them that way. The Ruutu goal had no business being counted. Seriously. Cole clearly impeded the goaltender on that one.

very true, but again things tend to even out over the course of the season. We were hosed in Dallas, and now tonight we had calls in our favor.
Refs are humans and make mistakes. I am fine with that for as long as fans don't start whining that NHL is against us, or them, or that other team.

Clearly, Islanders were a better team tonight. I wonder what version of Canes we'll observe tomorrow.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Well, I'm hoping the good version of the Canes show up. Got a bunch of people going to their first game tomorrow, and I'd be really ticked off if their first experience was a blowout against us.

Old
03-20-2009, 08:51 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Well, I'm hoping the good version of the Canes show up. Got a bunch of people going to their first game tomorrow, and I'd be really ticked off if their first experience was a blowout against us.
Darn, you should have picked a better game to take those people for their first NHL experience. You might want to start preparing and feed them with stories about those legendary Alexes Capitals have

Old
03-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Well, it's my birthday tomorrow, so I went all out and got a suite. Got about 14 people coming, including a couple Capital fans. About half of the people have some knowledge in hockey, the other half will probably end up watching the NCAA tourney on the suite TVs.

Old
03-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I don't know about boned. When Ruutu shot the puck in the net, Cole was actually outside the crease and the Islanders' Hilbert had bowled the goalie clear into the net. Hilbert was in the net as well. So yes, Cole drove into the crease but he had the puck, so it was a tough call.

Isn't it funny that just the other night you and I were talking about how the refs called a good game? Even though there were a lot of penalties, they were totally justified. Tonight, the refs swallowed the whistles and just let them play, and I can't say that I enjoyed the game as much. I mean, there are only so many times that I can see a player who establishes good position in front of the net get absolutely blindsided from behind and there be no call. There was too much interference and too many missed calls.

Anyways, as for the comeback, it's great to see that the Canes are winning games in so many different ways. Shows that even on off nights, they still have what it takes to get the job done. I don't care that it was the Islanders, because they are playing very good hockey and obviously other teams are having trouble with them too.

Sens1Canes2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

That was one of the ugliest hockey games I have ever witnessed in person. Nobody deserved to get two points in that one. But, as someone said above, these things tend to even out over the year. There have been plenty of times where I felt we deserved something and we came up empty handed, so I'll take the two tonight.

03-20-2009, 09:21 PM
dmonk
doughberle

I'll be rooting for Buffalo tomorrow, what about you?

we need to get 11 points in 9 remaining game... countdown is ON.

Old
03-20-2009, 09:36 PM
WalkerBabe

Monkeys MUST dance, even if a win isn't pretty!

WalkerBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 09:56 PM
caniac247

Just got back and that was an ugly game. We scored that quick goal and the team automatically started playing down to the Islanders level, which I was afraid of. This was the first game we had major meltdowns, and this is the first team we've played that's out of the playoffs in quite awhile.

Nobody should be beatching about the refs or saying we got lucky. The whistles were put away on both ends. As far as Ruutu's goal goes its the same thing that happened in dallas. And for those watching at home, what the hell were they reviewing cause I thought they couldn't review goalie interference.

It'll be interesting to see how they play tomorrow. Right now I'm thinking they just played down a level, so we'll see how tomorrow goes.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 09:56 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Ugliest game I have seen in a long time. The ice sucked, the Canes weren't skating, the goalies sucked and the refs were arguably the worst crew I've seen all year, albeit consistently blind. They called absolutely NOTHING through two tonight and then decide to make calls in the 3rd? Seriously? McAmmond had EVERY right to be pissed off.

God I hate to have been right on the reffing the other night in this case. I didn't like the lack of flow to the Devils game, but mother of god was tonight ever worse. And it was the distinct lack of well deserved calls that caused it.

I'll take the two points, but if they play like that against the Caps they're going to get absolutely slaughtered.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

I'd much rather have a game like the Devils than a game like tonight. After the 1st ended with no calls, Tripp said that a game based on special teams works to Carolina's advantage, and it's hard to argue with him after tonight.

Call the game consistently throughout. It's all that most hockey fans ask for.

Old
03-20-2009, 10:49 PM
mlc040709

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Ugliest game I have seen in a long time. The ice sucked, the Canes weren't skating, the goalies sucked and the refs were arguably the worst crew I've seen all year, albeit consistently blind. They called absolutely NOTHING through two tonight and then decide to make calls in the 3rd? Seriously? McAmmond had EVERY right to be pissed off.

God I hate to have been right on the reffing the other night in this case. I didn't like the lack of flow to the Devils game, but mother of god was tonight ever worse. And it was the distinct lack of well deserved calls that caused it.

I'll take the two points, but if they play like that against the Caps they're going to get absolutely slaughtered.

absolutely right about the ice and the refs.. the broadcast at one point cut right to a close-up shot of larose giving the most blatant hook with no call, but i thought the canes were skating fine, especially on the forecheck.. poor positioning more than lack of skating effort led to the defensive breakdowns

do you guys think we'll see leighton at all? looking at the remaining schedule it seems like tomorrow vs. the caps would be the most logical time to give him a start. the rest of the schedule looks like it has enough days between games to ride wardo all the way

mlc040709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

I don't think Leighton plays again until next season.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Unless we clinch early. But even then, it'd probably be a fight for positioning.

Old
03-20-2009, 11:29 PM
ncsu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
Darn, you should have picked a better game to take those people for their first NHL experience. You might want to start preparing and feed them with stories about those legendary Alexes Capitals have
Wish I could go back in time and take every single person that I know that hasn't been to a hockey game or very few hockey games to that last Buffalo home game.

That was great.

ncsu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

What is up with the ice recently. We've always had pretty good ice at RBC in previous years, surprisingly so given out latitude and humidity. Even the Canadian teams remarked how good it was, and its held true in 06 even when we were playing in May and June.

Something has failed in the humidity controls or something.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 09:31 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Something went wrong after they put new ice after circus left town.

New ice was terrible ever since.

Old
03-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
Something went wrong after they put new ice after circus left town.

New ice was terrible ever since.
Maybe when they installed it they were...clowning around

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 10:44 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Maybe when they installed it they were...clowning around
YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!