HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo unsure about his future with Van

Old
03-22-2009, 02:45 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

vCash: 500
If he's insinuating Detroit, he can think again. They are way too close to the cap already, and will have a hard time resigning Hossa and/or Franzen in the summer.

My guess is he goes back to the sunshine state and signs with Tampa Bay.

WJG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
If he's insinuating Detroit, he can think again. They are way too close to the cap already, and will have a hard time resigning Hossa and/or Franzen in the summer.

My guess is he goes back to the sunshine state and signs with Tampa Bay.
Lidstrom is coming off the books when Luongo is a UFA. If Lidstrom decides to retire they could easily fit him in.

Obviously if Lidstrom decides to come back it's a no brainer.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 03:03 PM
On Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
He's signing with Toronto in 2010
but didn't Luongo say he wanted to be on a team that had a chance at a cup?

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 03:31 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
Luongols to Morontreal in 5...4...3...2...
If he doesn't stay in Vancouver he'll be a hab. The two things he's always wanted is a cup championship and to play for Montreal.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 03:33 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
^The same Montreal that is barely a PO material? Please.

Vancouver has better chance at SC then habs at this point.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 03:37 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
^The same Montreal that is barely a PO material? Please.

Vancouver has better chance at SC then habs at this point.
Yes the same Montreal.

Old
03-22-2009, 03:42 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

can't worry about this right now at all, especially after a frustrating loss.

Luongo can be extended after July 1st... there aren't a lot of teams with the cap space to offer him a huge contract anyways, and the canucks will be in a good position to give him a good contract.

if, after everything that has happened in Vancouver - their winning streak, the GM going out and signing Sundin, and having a contending team around... making sure that everyone knows that Luongo is the franchise player here... if after all that he is still unhappy, then I think all canuck fans will be happy enough just moving on.... don't need players that are going to put themselves ahead of the team.

having said that, I'm confident that Luongo knows that the franchise is doing everything to try and be a top contender... that includes the *many* things they have been doing off the ice as well - including spending significantly more money than any other organization in scouting and player development now, and bringing in the various experts to work with players throughout the organization.

If Luongo is still unhappy, he can go... I just don't see it at this point... we'll know soon enough though... if he's going to hold out on signing into next season, you have to look into trading the guy.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 03:46 PM
eldiablo17

Meh, I wouldn't commit to anything either 3-4 months before you are even able to re-sign. As of right now the Canucks have their 2 best forwards unsigned for next year. If the Sedins aren't here and they don't get any suitable replacements the team is going to be crap.

As a Canuck fan we will just have to see how it pans out. Worst case scenario the Canucks trade him at the next trade deadline for a small ransom to a team trying to make the playoffs and go with Schneider from there.

eldiablo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
If he doesn't stay in Vancouver he'll be a hab. The two things he's always wanted is a cup championship and to play for Montreal.
But he was an Oiler fan growing up, he said so in an interview

Dr Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 03:59 PM
jabberhockey

I winced when Scott Oake asked Roberto if the captaincy would weigh into his decision about whether or not to resign in Vancouver because I knew no matter how he answered it was going to get blown out of proportion.

The question was a tough one for Luongo to answer because Oake prefaced it by implying his captaincy, in the eyes of many, was a ploy by Gillis to get Luongo to resign in Vancouver. If Luongo answers yes to Oake and says the captaincy is going to increase his likelihood of resigning in Vancouver then I think he lends credence to the widespread belief that his captaincy is merely a ploy. Indeed, in reality this might be the case, but why would Luongo, an intensely proud athlete, want to cheapen his captaincy by encouraging this type of speculation on national television? While much of the league might think of his captaincy as a joke, I have no doubt that Luongo takes it very seriously otherwise I donít think he would have accepted the honour in the first place.

So Luongo answers no and says he wants to play for the team thatís going to give him the best chance at a Stanley Cup. He dodges Oakeís insinuation that his captaincy is a gimmick only to come off sounding like heís nothing more than a hired gun and has no loyalties to Vancouver whatsoever, which probably wasnít his intention.

I guess when youíre the captain of an NHL team some questions have no right answers.

jabberhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 04:09 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesome View Post
But he was an Oiler fan growing up, he said so in an interview
Apparently he grew out of it.
Check your PM in about 10 minutes.

Old
03-22-2009, 04:17 PM
AC Le Rock

I bet it doesn't matter. Every guy in sports always says he wants to win but in turn signs a fat contract, well not every guy but a lot. (Sundin anyone?)

Whoever offers him the most snags him. He's going to demand between 6.5 - 7.5 a season for at least a couple years regardless of the cap situation.

If it is about winning, I would sign with the Flyers' or Detroit if I were him for a discount -- Flyers and Detroit have the highest winning percentage of any team since the original expansion and that says something about their organizations.

AC Le Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 04:21 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
No.

Montreal will trade BC born Carey Price for him !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 04:37 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Le Rock View Post
I bet it doesn't matter. Every guy in sports always says he wants to win but in turn signs a fat contract, well not every guy but a lot. (Sundin anyone?)

Whoever offers him the most snags him. He's going to demand between 6.5 - 7.5 a season for at least a couple years regardless of the cap situation.

If it is about winning, I would sign with the Flyers' or Detroit if I were him for a discount -- Flyers and Detroit have the highest winning percentage of any team since the original expansion and that says something about their organizations.
I don't think Philly deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Detroit. And really, the Canucks can match any offer in the league for Luongo, so it won't be a money issue.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

Meh.

People should begin to notice that many canuck fans don't care anymore if he resigns or not. He has been really mediocre... making those comments made me cringe... his teammates has been bailing him out so many times...

Luongo needs to shut his trap and play like a 7 million dollar goalie.

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 05:55 PM
The Polak*

I think he wants to play in edmonton

The Polak* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 06:24 PM
LA Kings Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Polak View Post
I think he wants to play in edmonton
That's The best Polak joke I have ever heard! Good one!!!

LA Kings Cup Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy Squid View Post
That's The best Polak joke I have ever heard! Good one!!!
Best. Avatar. Hands. Down. Dayum.

Damn sunshine and stuff in LA!!!

I don't think its a big deal really. He hasn't dropped the "I haven't though about it yet, we'll access the situation when we get there" type line, and he has stated he loves the city. I think he's just being honest. He wants to win nothing wrong with that. I also don't see any added pressure on management, its not like they were going through a rebuild or anything, they were always going for it, I think his comment affirms their direction.

Trust me, as an Oiler fan, I loathe the Canucks, and would love to see them lose Luongo, but I just don't see this quote as being case. Unfortunately

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 06:33 PM
CAPiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
Just like how Vancouver wouldn't be able to sign him long-term after the trade...
Could have had Lecavalier...

not sure if

CAPiTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Le Rock View Post
I bet it doesn't matter. Every guy in sports always says he wants to win but in turn signs a fat contract, well not every guy but a lot.
Why do the two professional objectives have to be treated by some fans as mutually exclusive?

They're not.

The goal of most every professional athlete is two-fold: success on and off the playing surface.

Nothing wrong with that, whatsoever.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Moobles

As a Vancouver fan it is definitely a bit scary, but I hope we remember he's still got this year and next year left, and after his experience in Florida (they joked about his win/loss record and he made a funny comment being a bit behind because of circumstance =P) I have no doubts that if Vancouver doesn't look like they want to be competitive, he won't want to stay. And I can't blame him; we'll just have to see what he does, it'll be fun to see all the crazy rumors that come around if he doesn't poke his head in a contract this summer.

Quote:
Toronto could've had him straight out of the draft if they didn't trade his pick for Wendel Clark, Mathieu Schneider and D.J Smith. I know Toronto loves Clark and Schneider's great (although he's playing for Montreal now ;]) but I think they had their chance ; )

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Moore Money

not thread worthy

Moore Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

You mean this thread's gone on 3 pages and there still hasn't been a Luongo trade proposal?

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 06:43 PM
ranold26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
You mean this thread's gone on 3 pages and there still hasn't been a Luongo proposal thread?
oh what to hell.....lets get this partay started...
Price, Higgins and a 2nd.....

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 06:44 PM
LA Kings Cup Champs

Bernier, Purcell and '09 2nd.

LA Kings Cup Champs is offline   Reply With Quote