Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Update thread II

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2009, 12:00 PM
bruinsfan46

vCash: 500
Jamie Arniel's Sarnia Sting won their first playoff game against the Plymouth Whalers 2-0 last night. Arniel was the game's second star behind the Sarnia goalie who stopped 52 shots for the shutout, as Arniel scored the first goal on the powerplay and got an assist on the empty netter.

Old
03-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Brock Bradford's season is over. BC didn't make the NCAA tourney, so he finishes his Eagles career with 25 goals, 42 points in 37 games his senior season, and 53-57-110 in 126 games.

Old
03-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Wonder Boy
2026 Draft Prospect

Kirk,

Do you think Bradford is already in talks with the B's about playing for Providence for the rest of the season and playoffs?

Old
03-22-2009, 02:29 PM
reffree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
Watching Joe Colborne tonight...DU down 3-0 to UMD after two.

Big Joe has been wholly unimpressive- a reflection of his team's overall inability to get anything done offensively.

He was on the ice for both of UMD's second period goals and got burned when he didn't pick up Jack Connolly, who walked in alone from the side after wheeling out from behind the net and put a shot into the net between Cheverie's blocker arm and body. Not a good goal to give up on Cheverie's part, but Colborne hesitated to pick him up, giving Connolly the time and space he needed to get the shot off.

Colborne has also not done very well on faceoffs tonight.

We'll see how he does in the 3rd, but hasn't been the Pioneers' night thus far.

Final score, 4-0 UMD over DU.

Not much to add to what I posted above- Colborne didn't do much. Not awful per se, but unable to pick it up with the recent loss of Tyler Ruegsegger, which threw the Pioneers' lines out of whack.

Colborne was centering Rhett Rakhshani and Patrick Mullen (Joey's son) but none of them were able to get much going offensively.

I credit the UMD defense last night- they played sound positionally and were terrific on the breakouts. UMD's second goal was as pretty a transition goal you'll see- a balls-on accurate 150-foot breakout pass from D to right winger, who gained the zone then pulled a defender to him while he put a perfect saucer pass to the net that was tapped home by the streaking MacGregor Sharp, who had beaten his man and had nothing but net for the easy deflection. That goal took the wind out of DU's sails, and the Connolly goal moments later was the final nail in the coffin (aside from the empty-netter at the end).

I'm not familiar with the NCAA playoff.

Is their season over or is it a best of 3 series ?

Old
03-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Neither- the game last night was for the WCHA championship- one game for all the marbles after Denver had beaten Wisconsin and Minnesota to advance to the championship game.

So, University of Minnesota-Duluth wins that conference championship and automatically gets a berth, along with all other conference winners. The rest of the field is determined at large by the NCAA Div 1 Ice Hockey Committee based on their regular season records.

For example, DU finishes 2nd in the WCHA playoff, but is the No. 1 seed for the West regional playoff next week because of their 23-11-5 overall record. They play West No. 4 seed Miami-Ohio. UMD who is seeded No. 2 for the West, but beat DU in the WCHA tourney plays No. 3 seed Princeton.

Michigan, who lost to ND for the CCHA got top seed for the East and will play the Air Force Academy (AHA champ), Boston University vs Ohio State for the Northeast and Notre Dame (CCHA champ) vs. Bemidji State (CHA champ) for the Midwest.

The other teams in the dance are UNH, Northeastern, Vermont, Yale (ECAC champ), Cornell, North Dakota.

Old
03-23-2009, 01:31 AM
reffree

Thanks !!

Not sure to understand everything but it's really not as simple as I thinked.

I only knew it ended with the Frozen four with what I was thinking was the wcha, he, ccha, ?!? playoff champs ?!?

Well maybee I'm a little slow tonight

Kirk what do you think of the buzz surrounding Olivier Ekman Larsson?

Also David Runblad is suppose to have some spectacular playoff right now! Could one of those two fall to us ? I know our last experience with first round Swedes wasn't good but they looks to produce way more talent now than at the beginning of the decade.

Old
03-23-2009, 03:33 AM
Gruntfuttock

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffree View Post
Also David Runblad is suppose to have some spectacular playoff right now! Could one of those two fall to us ? I know our last experience with first round Swedes wasn't good but they looks to produce way more talent now than at the beginning of the decade.
Im not Kirk but I thought I would share my opinion on Rundblad. I would be shocked if Rundblad would fall to us. He played great in the WJC, was good in the Elitserien (the highest level) regular season and has been great in the post season. I still can't believe this kid is only 18. If his performance in the Elitserien post season isn't enough for the scouts, I don't know what is. I laughed out loud when i saw that Rundblad isn't on the ISS march top 30 prospects list. I haven't seen lots of guys on that list, but it's damn near impossible that 30 kids are better than Rundblad and will be taken before him.

Old
03-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Rundblad's not going to be available where Boston picks. They might get lucky and have someone like Charles-Olivier Roussel fall to them, who is someone Wonder Boy PM'd me about and is high on. I agree- and he's all over the map- Red Line has him in their top-15, but he was at the end of the CSB's first-round list for NA Skaters, and other "scouting" services have Roussel lower- 2nd and some even the 3rd round, which from what I hear is pretty extreme- he's a surefire first- or early-second-round pick.

Another guy who is attracting interest is Calvin de Haan. He doesn't have the dynamic upside of a Rundblad or Ryan Ellis or even Nick Leddy, none of whom I believe will be there when Boston picks. Like Roussel, CSB has de Haan lower on their list than Red Line Report does.

One scout I know who was at the Top Prospects Game said the following about de Haan:
"Always calm with the puck. Solid. Did not get beat with speed. Plays simple, steady, well-rounded game. Good overall hockey sense. Cerebral player but I'm not sure there's a lot of upside to get excited about here. Gets the puck out of trouble reliably. Maybe doesn't need much upside. Reminds me of Luca Sbisa last year - doesn't seem like much to get excited about but he does nearly everything right. Plays like a guy who could be close to being ready for the NHL."

One drawback for de Haan is his size- 5-11, 165. But, if Nick Leddy were to go off the board, I would think that de Haan would be a highly-regarded defenseman left on Boston's list.

Old
03-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Jeff077

de Haan was a highly regarded kid in the ODHA and led his team in scoring as a 16 year old last year in the CJHL with the Kemptville 73's before he moved on to the OHL this year.
Great skater and a real good puck mover.

Old
03-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Beesfan

Just wanted to make a few observations about Hamill, a guy who I like and want to succeed, but who's development has concerned me.

1. He is now +10 on the season. For Hamill to be +10 when he plays on such a low scoring line means he almost never gives up goals. I mean literally almost never. And take into consideration that he was, for a time at least, playing with Marquardt and Knackstedt, both who are heavy in the minus column. If he can get stronger, he could be a legitimate 3rd line center with scoring potential.

2. He has an unusual goals/assists ratio with 11g, 10a. In all four years of junior, he was getting about 2 assists to every one goal. He was drafted as a playmaker too. He's been playing on the third line, and I don't think he's had much power play time (not that he has deserved anything more). Still, I have to think he'd have something like 11-20-31 with better linemates.

Does anyone know who he is playing with now?

Old
03-23-2009, 12:00 PM
5 minutes a Knight

Last game I went to was March 13 and he was playing with Marquardt and MacDonald, Kirk not Ronald. I'm going to Friday's and Sunday's game this week and will report on his line mates.

Old
03-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Beesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon Eric View Post
Last game I went to was March 13 and he was playing with Marquardt and MacDonald, Kirk not Ronald. I'm going to Friday's and Sunday's game this week and will report on his line mates.
Its funny, at camp Marquardt looked better than Lehtonen. Julien said he would play in the NHL someday. I wonder what happened?

Old
03-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Stone Clode Stunner

Does anyone think the Bruins will sign Joe Colborne to a pro contract and have him play in the AHL or do they want him to stay in college? As far as I know, he's not subject to age restrictions because he never played in the CHL.

I guess it would all depend on how he does in camp.

Old
03-23-2009, 12:28 PM
STRANGE VICTORY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminated View Post
Does anyone think the Bruins will sign Joe Colborne to a pro contract and have him play in the AHL or do they want him to stay in college? As far as I know, he's not subject to age restrictions because he never played in the CHL.

I guess it would all depend on how he does in camp.
What I feel is that the best thing for the Bs and for Colborne would be to have him spend atleast 1 more year in college, where he can spend more time concentrating on his physical development, which from all reports is what currently needs the most attention.

Old
03-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

TampBear is right- they won't have him turn pro this year- doesn't serve much purpose, as he'd be definitely ticketed for Providence and might lose ice time to some of the B's young, but more experienced (AHL) prospects. He's better served to stay in school, keep getting stronger and get even more of an opportunity to play a lot of minutes next year as a sophomore.

My guess is that if he progresses and builds on this season, he'll turn pro in 2010.

Old
03-23-2009, 02:50 PM
5 minutes a Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesfan View Post
Its funny, at camp Marquardt looked better than Lehtonen. Julien said he would play in the NHL someday. I wonder what happened?
I remember one of the Bruins brass saying he was going to be a long term project , I guess they know what there talking about.

Old
03-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Beesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon Eric View Post
I remember one of the Bruins brass saying he was going to be a long term project , I guess they know what there talking about.
I don't see any reason for Colborne not to play 3 years in college. Look at all the good it did for Wheeler. Let him develop some leadership skills.

Old
03-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Just wanted to make a few observations about Hamill, a guy who I like and want to succeed, but who's development has concerned me.

1. He is now +10 on the season. For Hamill to be +10 when he plays on such a low scoring line means he almost never gives up goals. I mean literally almost never. And take into consideration that he was, for a time at least, playing with Marquardt and Knackstedt, both who are heavy in the minus column. If he can get stronger, he could be a legitimate 3rd line center with scoring potential.

2. He has an unusual goals/assists ratio with 11g, 10a. In all four years of junior, he was getting about 2 assists to every one goal. He was drafted as a playmaker too. He's been playing on the third line, and I don't think he's had much power play time (not that he has deserved anything more). Still, I have to think he'd have something like 11-20-31 with better linemates.

Does anyone know who he is playing with now?

Perhaps the real picture won't be clear until Hamill plays on a top two scoring line next year with wingers who can bury it.

Old
03-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Beesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Perhaps the real picture won't be clear until Hamill plays on a top two scoring line next year with wingers who can bury it.
Right. Though I like that they brought him along slowly and made him earn it. The key to prospect development IMO is to make it hard at first so that there is always momentum and progress going forward.

If he plays with Lehtonen and Marchand next year (both should be in Prov), then I bet he posts 6-70 points.

Old
03-23-2009, 07:54 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Right. Though I like that they brought him along slowly and made him earn it. The key to prospect development IMO is to make it hard at first so that there is always momentum and progress going forward.

If he plays with Lehtonen and Marchand next year (both should be in Prov), then I bet he posts 6-70 points.
I was going to say between 5-80....but I thought it was a bit too broad of a prediction.

Old
03-23-2009, 08:03 PM
The Depahted

Quote:
I don't see any reason for Colborne not to play 3 years in college. Look at all the good it did for Wheeler. Let him develop some leadership skills.
I think he meant Marquardt.

But I too feel Colborne should spend some quality time in college. So long as he doesnt stay until he get free agency rights ala Wheeler and possibly leave for somewhere else

Old
03-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Beesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
I was going to say between 5-80....but I thought it was a bit too broad of a prediction.
5 is way too low, 80 way too high. I'm sticking with 6-70.

Old
03-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Depahted View Post
I think he meant Marquardt.

But I too feel Colborne should spend some quality time in college. So long as he doesnt stay until he get free agency rights ala Wheeler and possibly leave for somewhere else
How could that happen? Didn't Wheeler gain that right because he was drafted before the current NHLPA/NHL agreement?

Old
03-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Correct. The loophole is closed.

Old
03-24-2009, 02:20 AM
reffree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
Rundblad's not going to be available where Boston picks. They might get lucky and have someone like Charles-Olivier Roussel fall to them, who is someone Wonder Boy PM'd me about and is high on. I agree- and he's all over the map- Red Line has him in their top-15, but he was at the end of the CSB's first-round list for NA Skaters, and other "scouting" services have Roussel lower- 2nd and some even the 3rd round, which from what I hear is pretty extreme- he's a surefire first- or early-second-round pick.

Another guy who is attracting interest is Calvin de Haan. He doesn't have the dynamic upside of a Rundblad or Ryan Ellis or even Nick Leddy, none of whom I believe will be there when Boston picks. Like Roussel, CSB has de Haan lower on their list than Red Line Report does.

One scout I know who was at the Top Prospects Game said the following about de Haan:
"Always calm with the puck. Solid. Did not get beat with speed. Plays simple, steady, well-rounded game. Good overall hockey sense. Cerebral player but I'm not sure there's a lot of upside to get excited about here. Gets the puck out of trouble reliably. Maybe doesn't need much upside. Reminds me of Luca Sbisa last year - doesn't seem like much to get excited about but he does nearly everything right. Plays like a guy who could be close to being ready for the NHL."

One drawback for de Haan is his size- 5-11, 165. But, if Nick Leddy were to go off the board, I would think that de Haan would be a highly-regarded defenseman left on Boston's list.
Thanks Moses and Kirk !!

Remember Roussel at the top prospect game, was excellent, seems to play a good physical game and seems a competent puck mover.

I'll have to rewatch it for de Haan, I heard some good thing about him but I don't like the "not alot of upside" combine with the 5-11, 165 ...

Have to say I don't know anything about Leddy now appart than he's a high school defenseman.

It's pretty interesting to look for this draft, we won't have a great pick "28-30" but it seems to be a wide open draft. Opinions diverge on a lot of guys from 15 to 45 and some solid prospect will still be there at our range

Edit: Seeing is stat and is supporting cast after the London trade, de Haan must have some high offensive attribute ?!?

Last edited by reffree: 03-24-2009 at 03:58 AM.
Closed Thread