HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rozsival to undergo MRI Tomorrow (Update: out 7 to 10 days)

Old
03-23-2009, 01:34 PM
94now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
We will be fine. Is the replacement going to get all of Roszival's 20 minutes? No way. He won't be as good as Roszival just because it is impossible for a rookie to step into this situation and perform as well as a vet.

So why will we be ok? Staal is going to log 30 minutes a night and he will thrive. He won't just get the job done, he is going to be better with the extra time. Girardi has been better since joining Staal and he'll continue to perform in this situation. Mara and Morris need more minutes with their edge and grit and their solid play in the D-zone. They both could use some more offensive responsibility anyway.

I see this as a challenge not to just the D men, but the whole team and I think that this team is meeting its challenges of late.
I hope I'm wrong, but I predict w/o Rozy we will lose more games than we win .

BTW, why 30 min? Why not 40?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 01:37 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I hope I'm wrong, but I predict w/o Rozy we will lose more game than we win .

BTW, why 30 min? Why not 40?
Because I'm realistic and I don't need extreme exaggeration to make my points.

Like the MSG propeganda machine. When Roszival and Staal were paired together they routinely blamed Staal for situations that Roszival created. Rosie would turn it over and Staal would be caught out of position. Then Rosen would blame Staal for not covering the right guy. They protect the targeted players and pass the buck to candidates that the Garden embraces. I can't count how many times Rosen called a Roszival turnover a great play by the opposing team... like there was nothing he could do about the play.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 01:37 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
ok tom. fair points. i must admit i too am surprised by the numbers. it shows that rozy has been about the same as the other 2 on the pp as far as points go and at even strength, rozy has been better- as far as the plus/minus is concerned. and for the record, i never once said rozy cant play in a torts system. while i believe his play lately hasnt been particularly sharp, he isnt costing us games. it appears to me that inspite of the numbers you detail, he still seems hesitant and lacking confidence while redden seems to be blossoming under torts and morris gets a little better pretty much every game. add toi that staals recent surge in play and maras steady improvement and rozy stands out as the lagard of the group.
The bolded part is quite true. While overall production may be similar, Redden and Morris have looked much more comfortable than Rozy, which to me would suggest that they probably would have eventually started to outproduce him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
rozy is not a bad player. on this we all agree. my point simply is to what degree will his injury effect the team. my contention is that his absence will not have a big impact in the overall defensive play and may actually help the pp.
If nothing else, one major detriment to the PP breakout will be gone. Rozy almost never made a smart play to come out of the zone, and almost always wound up turning around to regroup. The only thing the PP LOSES with him gone is his shot, and he never used that anyway, sadly.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 01:38 PM
czechmate25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Most unappreciated player on the team, by far. This thread pretty much proves it.

No doubt. Hopefully, this injury isn't too serious......if we lose Rozy for an extended period of time, this team will feel it.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 01:44 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
How many man games has the team missed so far?
According the game notes for the Ottawa game, 25.

http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app?arti...e&service=page

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 01:48 PM
94now

Quote:
Because I'm realistic and I don't need extreme exaggeration to make my points.
Alright, I got the message...

Yet, you cannot play Staal any more minutes without a risk of burning the kid out. I think Girardi-Staal time should not be affected.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
ah thank you

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 01:53 PM
Vitto79

so what's the deal, how long is he out for?

Go Sauer!. this is his chance to stick for next yr and well maybe this yr. I like that choice

Lets hope Morris steps up and that Rozy is at the very least back in 10 days

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 02:04 PM
broadwayblue

Certainly it's not ideal to have one of our guys go down during the final stretch...but that said, it could be a chance to see how our D might look if we deal Rozi over the summer. He's the logical contract to move during the off-season, and now we'll get a chance to see our D play without him.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 02:23 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
We will be fine. Is the replacement going to get all of Roszival's 20 minutes? No way. He won't be as good as Roszival just because it is impossible for a rookie to step into this situation and perform as well as a vet.

So why will we be ok? Staal is going to log 30 minutes a night and he will thrive. He won't just get the job done, he is going to be better with the extra time. Girardi has been better since joining Staal and he'll continue to perform in this situation. Mara and Morris need more minutes with their edge and grit and their solid play in the D-zone. They both could use some more offensive responsibility anyway.

I see this as a challenge not to just the D men, but the whole team and I think that this team is meeting its challenges of late.
This seems the most realistic scenario to me. Tortorella already seems more inclined to having Stall-Girardi as his top pair and Marc's play has picked up a lot since the coaching change. He seems much more confident skating and moving the puck and I think he will thrive.

Injuries can have silver linings. We may be about to see what Sauer can do for real under a pressure situation. Even if it's not great--it may be a benefit to him in the off season as he prepares for next years training camp. He'll have a more concrete idea of what he'll need to work on the most. From managements perspective if Sauer moves in and plays well--it may save them from making another costly move for a veteran d-man during free agent season or it may have them feeling more comfortable about moving Rozsival $5 mil contract. That cap space + whatever Michal would bring back could make a lot of difference to our team next year.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
This seems the most realistic scenario to me. Tortorella already seems more inclined to having Stall-Girardi as his top pair and Marc's play has picked up a lot since the coaching change. He seems much more confident skating and moving the puck and I think he will thrive.

Injuries can have silver linings. We may be about to see what Sauer can do for real under a pressure situation. Even if it's not great--it may be a benefit to him in the off season as he prepares for next years training camp. He'll have a more concrete idea of what he'll need to work on the most. From managements perspective if Sauer moves in and plays well--it may save them from making another costly move for a veteran d-man during free agent season or it may have them feeling more comfortable about moving Rozsival $5 mil contract. That cap space + whatever Michal would bring back could make a lot of difference to our team next year.
of course it is crap if Rozy is out for a while but it will be nice to see what Sauer can do. Lets hope he earns a spot cause next yr they needed him to step up

Any news yet on how long Rozy is out for?. I am hoping just a week tops so he is ok for the playoffs if they hold on and get in

Old
03-23-2009, 03:41 PM
NYROrtsFan

On WFAN they said that Rozy would be out 7 to 10 days, so obviously it wasn't a big time injury.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 03:52 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
On WFAN they said that Rozy would be out 7 to 10 days, so obviously it wasn't a big time injury.
Nice, hopefully that is indeed the case and there will be no setbacks.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 03:53 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Better news than expected for Michal Rozsival, who underwent an MRI today - believed to be on his left knee - and the Rangers have just announced he'll be out 7-10 days with a lower-body injury.

Best case, Rozsival could return with perhaps five games remaining in the season, perhaps even in time for next Monday's game against the Devils, though that's probably pushing it
http://njmg.typepad.com/rangersblog/...-710-days.html

Quote:
Michal Rozsival, who suffered a lower body injury during the second period of last night's game against Ottawa, will be out 7-10 days, a team spokesperson confirmed.
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/ho...al_update.html

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

So he'll miss 4 games. We still need to go 3-1 in those games or we in deep doo doo.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Section311

7-10 days not that bad....could have been alot worse

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 04:10 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post
this is why it is a bad idea not to have a 7th D-man
We've got enough guys in Hartford that are near ready or may even be ready to step into a 6th d-man role I really don't think it matters that much

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Vitto79

good to hear. I was hoping 10 days max. I look forward to seeing Sauer. Morris will step it up now. Mara and Sauer are big boys who should pare up. Perhaps a view on next yr too as I think they would want Mara back and Sauer ideally the 6th Dman

Old
03-23-2009, 04:23 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
So he'll miss 4 games. We still need to go 3-1 in those games or we in deep doo doo.
2-1-1 cut it?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
2-1-1 cut it?
Yeah, we need points in 3 of those games, prefer wins though

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 04:33 PM
TomLaidlaw

That is good news.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 04:44 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Alright, I got the message...

Yet, you cannot play Staal any more minutes without a risk of burning the kid out. I think Girardi-Staal time should not be affected.
First, I think Staal can handle more time. He's not straight out of junior any more and if we have learned anything this season it is that Staal hasn't been pushed enough as he has handled any challenges he has been given. He wasn't supposed to be the #1 this season otherwise they wouldn't have signed Redden and maybe not Roszival. When they faltered Staal took it up and he is the man on the blueline. He got Mara's game going, then Roszival's and finally Girardi's. He has been given the greenlight to get involved offensively and he is blossoming under the new mandate. His points are increasing but the real jump is how he is able to take the puck from our goal line and carry it out to and past center ice in an effortless manner. It's nice that the staff here has acted in his best interests over the last 3 or so years, but from what I can see out there his game grows leaps and bounds anytime he is given more responsibility.

Second, if Staal and Girardi's time doesn't increase, that means that Morris and Redden have to pick up all the slack unless you are more comfortable with Mara and Sauer getting 20+ minutes a night. It makes sense to give the lion's share to Staal/Girardi, some more time to Morris/Redden and cut the time from the Sauer/Mara pairing. Schoenfeld should supplement Mara's time with shifts along side Morris and Staal, both of whom show great chemsitry with Mara.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 05:57 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

7-10 is good news. it may be a strained ligament so thats better than a tear.

im looking forward to seeing sauer. not expecting the world out of sauer but i am hoping he seizes the opportunity and gives us a reason to feel he can play here next season.

i would be happy if he came in and played a smart, physical brand of hockey. take care of hanks crease and make the safe play and ill be stoked.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
We've got enough guys in Hartford that are near ready or may even be ready to step into a 6th d-man role I really don't think it matters that much
please. there's 3 games of NHL experience in Hartford. not getting a 7th defenseman was insane.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Unk

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
please. there's 3 games of NHL experience in Hartford. not getting a 7th defenseman was insane.
And how are they going to get more NHL experience if you don't play them in the NHL? If now's not the right time to introduce one of them to the NHL, when is? The lack of a #7 is a little silly, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote