HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo unsure about his future with Van

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-23-2009, 04:02 PM
  #151
The Jester
Registered User
 
The Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlak View Post
This thread should be titled:

LUONGO WANTS TO WIN STANLEY CUP
....but then it wouldn't be controversial.

What would people in this thread be able to talk about other than Luongo being like every other NHL player.

The sensationalist Vancouver media makes me incredibly angry at times. This isn't even a story and yet they manage to take an honest comment and twist it around to make it into a controversial story. Jason Botchford should work for the National Enquirer.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 04:08 PM
  #152
shaolinson
Bim Jenning
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Forest
Country: Canada
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
what a ****ing joke, obviously if we dont even come close and suck ass why would luongo want to stay? I saw the interview, his first priority is STILL winning yet he loves it here, likes the guys and really believes in the team. i cannot stand the hockey media in the papers. my friends know so much more. how about a little support instead of trying to make people panic?

shaolinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 04:11 PM
  #153
The Jester
Registered User
 
The Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnychiba View Post
what a ****ing joke, obviously if we dont even come close and suck ass why would luongo want to stay? I saw the interview, his first priority is STILL winning yet he loves it here, likes the guys and really believes in the team. i cannot stand the hockey media in the papers. my friends know so much more. how about a little support instead of trying to make people panic?
Because the job of a tabloid journalist to create a reaction. And make no mistake, the Province is a glorified composition of tabloid journalism.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 04:18 PM
  #154
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Beukeboom Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 12,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
secondly, I don't think any canuck fan doesn't care if Luongo leaves... it's more a reason for why he left... if he leaves because he's chasing the biggest paycheck, I think all canuck fans will sympathize with the team... if he leaves because the team can't put a contender around him and he's basically forced to carry the team on his own, I think most fans will sympathize with Luongo.

right now we don't know anything really... I think however most canuck fans should be happy that management is doing the right things to try and build a winner here... and the team has done plenty to show Luongo already that a) he's a huge part of their team and b) they are trying to build a contender here right now around him... so with that said, if Luongo still isn't happy, as a canuck fan I have no problem moving on.

we'll have to wait and see what happens though... it's all speculation at this point, and outside the comments after a frustrating loss, there's no reason to think he's not happy with his role and the direction of the team overall.

Great point. As a fan though - don't you wish your team captain would have said "I'm committed to winning the Stanley Cup in VAN. We've put together a really great group of players this year and we all collectively have to step it up and raise our level of play in the play-off's."

RL was great in the play-off's against Dallas, and it wasn't like DAL was the 80's Oilers scoring wise. The Canucks have put together a really strong team, and are spending close to the cap. AKA - there's not much more the organization do to give RL a chance to win the Cup. It's not like Roberto is toiling away for the Islanders with a bunch of young kids or retreads in front of him. Luongo has to be the difference maker for the Canucks.

When you're the team captain and the highest paid player on the team - I think you need to say that instead of (my paraphrase) "I want to go where I have the best chance to win the Cup". If you want to win - play better.

[EDIT - removed error about losing to the Stars in the play-off's]


Last edited by Beukeboom Fan: 03-23-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 04:28 PM
  #155
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 21,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
RL was great in the play-off's against Dallas, but they still lost that series, and it wasn't like DAL was the 80's Oilers scoring wise.


Canucks *won* that series. Turco got three shutouts for the Stars in that series, so that tells you the kind of offensive support Luongo received.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 04:39 PM
  #156
shaolinson
Bim Jenning
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Forest
Country: Canada
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Great point. As a fan though - don't you wish your team captain would have said "I'm committed to winning the Stanley Cup in VAN. We've put together a really great group of players this year and we all collectively have to step it up and raise our level of play in the play-off's."

RL was great in the play-off's against Dallas, but they still lost that series, and it wasn't like DAL was the 80's Oilers scoring wise. The Canucks have put together a really strong team, and are spending close to the cap. AKA - there's not much more the organization do to give RL a chance to win the Cup. It's not like Roberto is toiling away for the Islanders with a bunch of young kids or retreads in front of him. Luongo has to be the difference maker for the Canucks.

When you're the team captain and the highest paid player on the team - I think you need to say that instead of (my paraphrase) "I want to go where I have the best chance to win the Cup". If you want to win - play better.
I agree that there should be a little more loyalty to the canucks, yet i think roberto has paid his dues, wasting 7 years or so on a team with no hopes. Ideally he enjoys the team, city and fans and would want to win here. he has come to play so many times when the team hasnt (last playoff performance), and i have no doubts he will again this playoff run.

shaolinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 04:39 PM
  #157
MG10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: EDM
Country: Canada
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
A little off-topic, but did Roberto take interview lessons from Marian Gaborik? Maybe not the best things to say right before a hugely important playoff run for Vancouver with the team's roster for next year being so uncertain.

MG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 04:43 PM
  #158
shaolinson
Bim Jenning
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Forest
Country: Canada
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG10 View Post
A little off-topic, but did Roberto take interview lessons from Marian Gaborik? Maybe not the best things to say right before a hugely important playoff run for Vancouver with the team's roster for next year being so uncertain.
he said what i was expecting him to say, no real surprise and no disappointments. im sure majority of the teammates and fans feel the same way.

shaolinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 04:59 PM
  #159
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Beukeboom Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 12,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post


Canucks *won* that series. Turco got three shutouts for the Stars in that series, so that tells you the kind of offensive support Luongo received.
DOOH! Open mouth - insert foot!

Guess I picked the wrong day to start sniffing glue!

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:08 AM
  #160
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 21,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
DOOH! Open mouth - insert foot!

Guess I picked the wrong day to start sniffing glue!


Don't worry - you're not the first person to make a mistake (I make at least my fair share of them).

Easy for a Canuckfan like myself to remember all our playoff serious victories - considering they don't number a lot.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 03:28 AM
  #161
Saren
Multi Pass!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fhloston Paradise
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG10 View Post
A little off-topic, but did Roberto take interview lessons from Marian Gaborik? Maybe not the best things to say right before a hugely important playoff run for Vancouver with the team's roster for next year being so uncertain.
Wouldn't be the first time we've talked to players from Minnesota while they're under contract.




But, seriously, how can stating the desire to win a Stanley Cup be detrimental to a playoff team?

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 03:39 AM
  #162
AgentNaslund*
 
AgentNaslund*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,576
vCash: 500
funny how some of the crazies here think we will get nothing for him. YOu guys stupid? Luongo to Dallas? Luongo to Detroit? Luongo up your behind! What do you guys have to offer? There only 1 roberto LUongo, if we don't sign him, we will trade him.

But honestly guys, we will resign him. For all the haters wanting him to leave vancouver so you think we will "downgrade" think again.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 06:16 AM
  #163
VanCanucks14
Registered User
 
VanCanucks14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,881
vCash: 500
It didn't come out perfectly but it was kind of taken out of context. These are quotes from Luongo in response to all this heat he has been taking because of the comments he made on HNIC.

"I don't think there was anything wrong with that," he said after practice Monday. "I didn't say I wanted to leave. I like Vancouver. It's a great city, and if we have the type of team we have today in two years, I don't see why I wouldn't be here. I think we have a great chance to win a Cup with this team. Obviously, I know teams change every year and in two years if we've got a chance, I don't know why I would leave."
Is Luongo disloyal? Is he unhappy?

ďOf course not,Ē he said. ďI like our team here. I think we can do some damage in the playoffs. How that could be interpreted as me leaving, I donít know.

ďI think we have a team with a chance to win the Cup. At the end of the day, the only thing thatís going to enter my mind for the [contract] decision is winning. Thatís why I play. Iíve played 10 years in this league and havenít had much success. I think Iím deserving of having a chance to win the Cup, and hopefully that comes with Vancouver.Ē

VanCanucks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 10:10 AM
  #164
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhl-Coaster View Post
It didn't come out perfectly but it was kind of taken out of context. These are quotes from Luongo in response to all this heat he has been taking because of the comments he made on HNIC.

"I don't think there was anything wrong with that," he said after practice Monday. "I didn't say I wanted to leave. I like Vancouver. It's a great city, and if we have the type of team we have today in two years, I don't see why I wouldn't be here. I think we have a great chance to win a Cup with this team. Obviously, I know teams change every year and in two years if we've got a chance, I don't know why I would leave."
Is Luongo disloyal? Is he unhappy?

ďOf course not,Ē he said. ďI like our team here. I think we can do some damage in the playoffs. How that could be interpreted as me leaving, I donít know.

ďI think we have a team with a chance to win the Cup. At the end of the day, the only thing thatís going to enter my mind for the [contract] decision is winning. Thatís why I play. Iíve played 10 years in this league and havenít had much success. I think Iím deserving of having a chance to win the Cup, and hopefully that comes with Vancouver.Ē
Damage Control!

smackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 11:35 AM
  #165
WeWillRiseAgain
Registered User
 
WeWillRiseAgain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadadaimhollaing View Post




i think ill bookmark this thread. if luongo leaves well hear zomg hes gone. i cant believe so many canucks fans in this thread have just had a dont care attitude towards this.
ya most of us dont really mind if luongo dont plan to sign an extension with us. The reason is b/c we already have a great goalie prospect called schnider rdy to come up. If we didnt know have him, of course we would desperately want to sign luongo at all cost

WeWillRiseAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 11:38 AM
  #166
WeWillRiseAgain
Registered User
 
WeWillRiseAgain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Great point. As a fan though - don't you wish your team captain would have said "I'm committed to winning the Stanley Cup in VAN. We've put together a really great group of players this year and we all collectively have to step it up and raise our level of play in the play-off's."

RL was great in the play-off's against Dallas, and it wasn't like DAL was the 80's Oilers scoring wise. The Canucks have put together a really strong team, and are spending close to the cap. AKA - there's not much more the organization do to give RL a chance to win the Cup. It's not like Roberto is toiling away for the Islanders with a bunch of young kids or retreads in front of him. Luongo has to be the difference maker for the Canucks.

When you're the team captain and the highest paid player on the team - I think you need to say that instead of (my paraphrase) "I want to go where I have the best chance to win the Cup". If you want to win - play better.

[EDIT - removed error about losing to the Stars in the play-off's]
Luongo has ONLY been the difference maker during his first year at vancouver. Ever since his play has only been average at best except November of this season

WeWillRiseAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:11 PM
  #167
Brain Sergeant
Squirrel!
 
Brain Sergeant's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillRiseAgain View Post
ya most of us dont really mind if luongo dont plan to sign an extension with us. The reason is b/c we already have a great goalie prospect called schnider rdy to come up. If we didnt know have him, of course we would desperately want to sign luongo at all cost
Please speak for yourself. I want Luongo to sign an extension, hes a proven NHL starter and a top 5 goalie, and he is only 28. Schnieder is a great prospect, and probably will be a great NHL goalie but he is unproven. I am not going to speak for Canuck fans but as a whole I would assume 80% of them would like Luongo to re-sign.

Brain Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:14 PM
  #168
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillRiseAgain View Post
ya most of us dont really mind if luongo dont plan to sign an extension with us. The reason is b/c we already have a great goalie prospect called schnider rdy to come up. If we didnt know have him, of course we would desperately want to sign luongo at all cost
Schneider is not ready to come up, I thought he proved that quite convincingly when he did come up.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:20 PM
  #169
senfan266
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMosquito View Post
Please speak for yourself. I want Luongo to sign an extension, hes a proven NHL starter and a top 5 goalie, and he is only 28. Schnieder is a great prospect, and probably will be a great NHL goalie but he is unproven. I am not going to speak for Canuck fans but as a whole I would assume 80% of them would like Luongo to re-sign.
You're wrong. Luongo will be 30 years old next week. He will be 31 years old at the end of next season where he is a UFA. He has maybe another 4 good years left.

senfan266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:28 PM
  #170
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by senfan266 View Post
You're wrong. Luongo will be 30 years old next week. He will be 31 years old at the end of next season where he is a UFA. He has maybe another 4 good years left.
You're right, Luongo is no Roloson. No way can he be a good starter in his late 30's...

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:42 PM
  #171
senfan266
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
You're right, Luongo is no Roloson. No way can he be a good starter in his late 30's...
I'm glad you're able to see Luongo is starting to break down and declining.

senfan266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:43 PM
  #172
Brain Sergeant
Squirrel!
 
Brain Sergeant's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by senfan266 View Post
You're wrong. Luongo will be 30 years old next week. He will be 31 years old at the end of next season where he is a UFA. He has maybe another 4 good years left.
my bad, I stand corrected but his age doesn't mean he only has 4 good years left in him. Look at Roloson. Youre just making a huge assumption that he is going to wither and die at 34-35.

Brain Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:46 PM
  #173
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by senfan266 View Post
You're wrong. Luongo will be 30 years old next week. He will be 31 years old at the end of next season where he is a UFA. He has maybe another 4 good years left.
goalies usually tend to play a lot longer than other positional players...

Brodeur, Khabibulin, Roloson are all 36 or older... guys like Hasek and Roy played great into their late 30s.

Luongo has many years of great hockey ahead of him... and like most goalies, there's no reason to think that he hasn't even hit his best days yet at his age, as most goalies will play their best hockey into their early to mid 30s.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:55 PM
  #174
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,623
vCash: 500
Hell Martin Brodeur didn't win a Vezina until he was 31, Luongo is still 29. His time is just starting.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 02:16 PM
  #175
Passthedonuts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oakville, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Great point. As a fan though - don't you wish your team captain would have said "I'm committed to winning the Stanley Cup in VAN. We've put together a really great group of players this year and we all collectively have to step it up and raise our level of play in the play-off's."

RL was great in the play-off's against Dallas, and it wasn't like DAL was the 80's Oilers scoring wise. The Canucks have put together a really strong team, and are spending close to the cap. AKA - there's not much more the organization do to give RL a chance to win the Cup. It's not like Roberto is toiling away for the Islanders with a bunch of young kids or retreads in front of him. Luongo has to be the difference maker for the Canucks.

When you're the team captain and the highest paid player on the team - I think you need to say that instead of (my paraphrase) "I want to go where I have the best chance to win the Cup". If you want to win - play better.

[EDIT - removed error about losing to the Stars in the play-off's]
Good points. However let's assume Luongo did say that and let's assume the Canucks crash and burn over the next 2 season. Unlikely, but hey, it's happened to better teams.

Let's say Luongo decides to leave, he would be crucified in the media for going against his word, he would be booed by the fans and it could taint his entire career as a self-server with no integrity.

When you're playing in Canada, the media will screw you either way. It's the same kind of garbage that forced Pavel Bure away.

Passthedonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.