HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Goaler pads question

Old
03-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Talent Analyst

vCash: 500
Goaler pads question

Hi guys, I'm willing to buy pads from someone and those pads are 31''. Since I'm 6 foot 0.5, are those are the right size for me?

Thanks

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
Hi guys, I'm willing to buy pads from someone and those pads are 31''. Since I'm 6 foot 0.5, are those are the right size for me?

Thanks
This will help

http://www.vaughnhockey.com/sizing/sizing.htm

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

its preference. it also would help to know what kind of pads and if they have a plus on the thigh rise. i wear itechs that are 34" and im 6'3. i used to wear heatons that were 32" but they were oldschool and were realistically like 4 inches shorter than my itechs with the plus on the thigh rise

i prefer smaller pads

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Talent Analyst

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLa...09190b_18.jpeg

its those pads,its old school, but I'm not willing to pay 200$ for street hockey pads.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

nice. dr's, martin brodeyr wears drs wrapped in rbk leather, or atleast its based off of the drs

Old
03-24-2009, 07:01 AM
RedK

Very unlikely. I'm 5' 8" and I wear 32 inch pads. Most of the guys I know who are your right wear at least 34s

RedK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 08:25 AM
DevsFan84

It is personal preference, but unless you have an extremely long torso and small legs, those are going to be real short. To give you an idea, I'm 6'0 and I wear 35"
pads.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 08:50 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

im 6'4" and wear 36 +1...im all leg apparently. i had 33.5, custom made CSS and they were just way too short for me. so i grabbed a new set and theyre much better. but again, its personal preference. shorter pads leave ur knee vulnerable without the guard so make sure its there if ur gonna buy them

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedK View Post
Very unlikely. I'm 5' 8" and I wear 32 inch pads. Most of the guys I know who are your right wear at least 34s
its preference. like i said before, i use 34 and im easily 6'3 and it took me a while to get ued to them cause i used to use 32

Old
03-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Hamilton35

5'7, listed at 5'8 (in my own little world), and I rock 34s. Like he said preference.

But 31s are way to short for you, especially if youre going down.

And 200 is way too much for those pads. WAY.

Hamilton35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:32 PM
densetsu

Pad size is preference to a degree. I can prefer to have a 32" pad, but if I did the landing gear would be below my knee and I'd be smacking my knees into the ice every time I went into butterfly.

I'm 6'3" and when I bought my 36" RBK 5K's, my knees were right in the middle of the landing gear. When I retired those pads two years later, my height didn't change at all but my knees were at the very top of the landing gear (and I'm 26, so I didn't go through a sudden growth spurt. ).

Shrinkage is a factor when buying pads; the foam compacts / settles and the pads usually lose an inch or two over a few years. New pads will shrink, so take that into consideration when doing a fitting. Similarly, when buying used pads, take into account that while that brand new 34" pad in the store fit you, a two-year-old 34" off eBay will measure more like a 33" or even 32", even if the pads are the exact same model.

I learned my lesson, I went up a size and wear 37+1" TPS Summits now. My knees were hitting the lower half of the landing gear, but after a year my knees are in the perfect position on the landing gear.

But for sizing, best bet is to measure your ATK and go from there. Since that measures your leg length, it's much more accurate than just going by your height. http://www.goaliestore.com/board/equ...e-project.html gives a brief tutorial and is a great reference for matching your ATK to pad length of specific manufacturers and models.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 04:07 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

I'm 6 ft and I ware 34s and I have one friend who is 6 ft he wares 35s I'm thinking that you should be looking for at very least 33s

If you are buying used make sure you know what to look for in pads and that you get the thigh boards and that the stacks are not crushed. Or at least get the pads at a good enough price that you can fix them up a bit.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 04:44 PM
the_pen_is_mightier

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
Pad size is preference to a degree. I can prefer to have a 32" pad, but if I did the landing gear would be below my knee and I'd be smacking my knees into the ice every time I went into butterfly.

I'm 6'3" and when I bought my 36" RBK 5K's, my knees were right in the middle of the landing gear. When I retired those pads two years later, my height didn't change at all but my knees were at the very top of the landing gear (and I'm 26, so I didn't go through a sudden growth spurt. ).

Shrinkage is a factor when buying pads; the foam compacts / settles and the pads usually lose an inch or two over a few years. New pads will shrink, so take that into consideration when doing a fitting. Similarly, when buying used pads, take into account that while that brand new 34" pad in the store fit you, a two-year-old 34" off eBay will measure more like a 33" or even 32", even if the pads are the exact same model.

I learned my lesson, I went up a size and wear 37+1" TPS Summits now. My knees were hitting the lower half of the landing gear, but after a year my knees are in the perfect position on the landing gear.

But for sizing, best bet is to measure your ATK and go from there. Since that measures your leg length, it's much more accurate than just going by your height. http://www.goaliestore.com/board/equ...e-project.html gives a brief tutorial and is a great reference for matching your ATK to pad length of specific manufacturers and models.

This.

However, pads changing in length isn't that big of an issue anymore. Not with the newer stuff anyways.

the_pen_is_mightier is offline   Reply With Quote