HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pacioretty sent down to Hamilton, new lines in practice

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-24-2009, 09:27 AM
  #101
gillyguzzler
Registered User
 
gillyguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I would consider cutting their PK time to zero instead, especially Saku. Tanguay is far and away the team's best even-strength player and Koivu is second. They'd best leave the PKs to the grinders.
Gainey, until the last game, did cut their PK time to practically nothing. I agree with Dubé that reducing their 5 on 5 time to 10-12 minutes would mean that they would be much less fatigued for the PP. At Kovy and Koivu's ages and at this stage in the season, their gas tanks are precariously emptying and the younger guys need to shoulder bigger loads. I agree Tanguay is very good 5 on 5 (not far and away the best though) but I disagree that Koivu is 2nd, especially not in the third period where he struggles to even finish his shifts. Kovy does not seem as winded, but he doesn't always put up Koivu's effort.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 10:03 AM
  #102
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 20,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
Gainey, until the last game, did cut their PK time to practically nothing. I agree with Dubé that reducing their 5 on 5 time to 10-12 minutes would mean that they would be much less fatigued for the PP. At Kovy and Koivu's ages and at this stage in the season, their gas tanks are precariously emptying and the younger guys need to shoulder bigger loads. I agree Tanguay is very good 5 on 5 (not far and away the best though) but I disagree that Koivu is 2nd, especially not in the third period where he struggles to even finish his shifts. Kovy does not seem as winded, but he doesn't always put up Koivu's effort.
The team has to find a way to keep Koivu fresh if they're going to be giving him this much offensive responsibility. They have to maximise his energy, that means he can't play PK and he can't play against the oppositions best players and that also means that he needs to be careful about the amount of time he spends on the ice...too many times in recent weeks i've seen him get pinned in his zone because he didn't change earlier

As for Kovalev, it's really simple with him...Keep it simple. He needs more substance, more purpose to his game. Stop trying to put on stickhandling displays and concentrate on moving the puck quickly and SHOOTING THE PUCK!...he had 230shots last year which resulted in 35 goals...this year, he's not even on pace to crack 200 shots.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 10:06 AM
  #103
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
I agree Tanguay is very good 5 on 5 (not far and away the best though)
He puts up more points than anyone else on the team for his icetime by a fair margin and he's +10 overall to boot. He's the best Habs forward at even-strength by far. I'm not sure who else you could make an argument for, to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
I disagree that Koivu is 2nd, especially not in the third period where he struggles to even finish his shifts.
He puts up the second most points/icetime. Robert Lang is third. Interestingly, Lats is fourth, just ahead of AKost and Alex Kovalev.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 10:22 AM
  #104
AllCanadienFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifi View Post
Dag could go down and play Bulldogs regular seson he just can't play for them in playoffs if I was Gainey I would send him down to get his touch back and when the dogs playoff starts call him back up. Also I belive SK74 is on the digs roster so he could get sent down again if he doesn't perform.
Please no. Seen all of Sergei we need to see, keep him in Montreal. Great talent/skill that only seems to get used when he feels like it. The most frustrating player I've watched. Glad to get MaxPac back.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 10:59 AM
  #105
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
Please no. Seen all of Sergei we need to see, keep him in Montreal. Great talent/skill that only seems to get used when he feels like it. The most frustrating player I've watched. Glad to get MaxPac back.
If he doesn't perform in Montreal, he won't be sent back to Hamilton. He's gonna be dealt to another organization or play in the KHL next season.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 11:01 AM
  #106
gillyguzzler
Registered User
 
gillyguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
He puts up more points than anyone else on the team for his icetime by a fair margin and he's +10 overall to boot. He's the best Habs forward at even-strength by far. I'm not sure who else you could make an argument for, to be honest.



He puts up the second most points/icetime. Robert Lang is third. Interestingly, Lats is fourth, just ahead of AKost and Alex Kovalev.
If the stats say so, ok, but I'm just judging it by watching the games lately. 5 on 5, the Lapierre line looks to be pressuring the most, but if the stats don't support that, ok.

I like Tanguay as a player but my impression, not backed by stats, is that he could really thrive even more on the PP because of his skills and vision and that he's a little soft for 5 on 5, especially on the forecheck.

Koivu looks tired, even moreso in the 3rd, and has trouble competing defensively 5 on 5 and even looks absolutely spent after 60 second shifts, no matter what your stats say. From watching his play, less 5 on 5 time would benefit him... max 16 minutes per game, preferably 4 or 5 minutes on the PP.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 03:21 PM
  #107
Mad Habber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
He puts up more points than anyone else on the team for his icetime by a fair margin and he's +10 overall to boot. He's the best Habs forward at even-strength by far. I'm not sure who else you could make an argument for, to be honest.



He puts up the second most points/icetime. Robert Lang is third. Interestingly, Lats is fourth, just ahead of AKost and Alex Kovalev.
That +10 is missleading. A lot of players had good +/- stats earlier in the season. Tanguay got hurt when things were still going relatively well. He missed a good portion of this 2 month + "slump".

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 03:49 PM
  #108
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
That +10 is missleading. A lot of players had good +/- stats earlier in the season.
Sure, except that he's +5 since coming back from injury, he's +12 now. He may have missed much of the slump, but it's not like he's getting scored on a lot now (and he's contributed 5 points in those 7 games, too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
Tanguay got hurt when things were still going relatively well. He missed a good portion of this 2 month + "slump".
Methinks lack of Tanguay may have contributed to the Habs' troubles a great deal actually.

He was the impact acquisition by Gainey, he was a top ES player with the Flames, and he's one with the Habs. They've suffered greatly for his absence.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 04:01 PM
  #109
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
I like Tanguay as a player but my impression, not backed by stats, is that he could really thrive even more on the PP because of his skills and vision and that he's a little soft for 5 on 5, especially on the forecheck.
Grit is nice, but personally, I value effectiveness. When Tanguay is on the ice, statistically he puts up more points than any other Hab and the opponent doesn't score -- the only regular forward that has similar lower scoring rates against is Max Lapierre. And historically he has been an extremely good 5-on-5 scorer -- one of the top LWs in the entire league, in fact.

He is a passer who picks his spots for shots, there's no denying that. He will be more effective with a shooter. But he is underrated as a two-way puck-possession player. There's a reason he was used in a checking role on the Flames when they were low on NHL-quality forwards.

And besides, picking his spots for shots does work for him: there's a reason Tanguay has the best shooting percentage of any active player by a mile. He is second on the team for ES goals/60 minutes, nestled between Andrei Kostitsyn and Latendresse for goal-scoring. Max Lapierre is actually fourth on the team.

(Grit does work and can be effective: Lappy and Latendresse are actually pretty good even-strength forwards statistically, so your impression of them is not unwarranted. Max is really good defensively to boot, and Lats is underrated offensively. Makes me think the gritty scorers we keep whining about might just already be on the roster, just a couple years away. It's a different kettle of fish on the power play, of course.)

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.