HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THN Fantasy Sports NYR under Torts

Old
03-24-2009, 01:40 PM
DontStepanMe

vCash: 500
THN Fantasy Sports NYR under Torts

Short but interesting. Especially them saying that Antro could be a 70 pt player and Cally a 65 pt player for us next year under torts.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...y-shakeup.html

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:43 PM
NYROrtsFan

Antro I agree, but Cally I think is at his limit right now.

Antro is odd because you'd figure he can't play this type of system, but he's excellent at it. His amazing reach allows him to cause turnovers that you wouldn't expect.

Really would like to see the Rangers keep Antro and Morris. Both are good players.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Blazephr

antro...yes. Cally...no.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:54 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Cally at 65 points is hilarity.

Maybe if the guy could pass or set up plays.

I think he's undoubtedly a 20 goal scorer though, but that doesn't translate into points. Especially at those numbers.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:57 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Antro I agree, but Cally I think is at his limit right now.

Antro is odd because you'd figure he can't play this type of system, but he's excellent at it. His amazing reach allows him to cause turnovers that you wouldn't expect.

Really would like to see the Rangers keep Antro and Morris. Both are good players.
Cally is only 24 and has but a season and a half under his belt. He also hasn't played with the most talented of line mates. Is he a 65 point player like the article suggests? I seriously doubt that, but I definitely think he still has some room for growth, especially the/a team continues to afford him big minutes with skilled mates.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Cally is only 24 and has but a season and a half under his belt. He also hasn't played with the most talented of line mates. Is he a 65 point player like the article suggests? I seriously doubt that, but I definitely think he still has some room for growth, especially the/a team continues to afford him big minutes with skilled mates.
Callahan's played with players more skilled than him for the majority of the season.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 02:05 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Callahan's played with players more skilled than him for the majority of the season.
Has he?

Old
03-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Has he?
yes, which centerman has he played with the most this season, if not Gomez?

Old
03-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Cally could potentially hit 50 pts, somewhere around 30/20/50. And I don't think any of us would complain if he managed to pull that off. But 65 is dreaming. Go ahead, Cally, prove me wrong, please.

I agree - Big Nik is an odd case. It doesn't seem like he would fit this system too well. He isn't an overly physical player, he isn't the best skater. But he has good hockey smarts, he puts himself in the right places, and he is good with his stick (offensively and defensively to snag the puck). 70 pts seems possible for him with good support.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 02:12 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
yes, which centerman has he played with the most this season, if not Gomez?
And who was the other winger? Dawes, Prucha, Sjostrom and Voros are black holes in the offensive end. I'm actually impressed that he has scored as much as he has, given the composition of the team for most of this season.

Old
03-24-2009, 02:16 PM
DontStepanMe

I actually see Cally as a replica of Chris Drury, just a bit more physical. I think his output offensively will be close to Drury.

Old
03-24-2009, 02:36 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
I actually see Cally as a replica of Chris Drury, just a bit more physical. I think his output offensively will be close to Drury.
I agree that they are similar although I'd say that Drury has a bit better vision with the passing.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 02:40 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
I agree that they are similar although I'd say that Drury has a bit better vision with the passing.
yeah I can agree that Drury is a little better w/ his passing. Hopefully Cally will develop more in that regard.

Old
03-24-2009, 02:49 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

65 points for Callahan?Don't let his agent see that.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
And who was the other winger? Dawes, Prucha, Sjostrom and Voros are black holes in the offensive end. I'm actually impressed that he has scored as much as he has, given the composition of the team for most of this season.
I remember Dawes up there. didn't see him a lot with Prucha, Voros, Sjostrom. I remember a lot of Naslund-Gomez-Callahan.

Old
03-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Fletch

65 points? I'm hoping for 40 next season. I think Cally shot his load this season. Gotta love the guy, but I think his ceiling's around 20 goals if he plays with b-level top line guys and it's around 15 goals if he's playing on a real third line. That's what I think and there's not much difference between the two and he may be more valuable on that third line with, and I've said this a lot, Dubi. I just like the thought of that kind of third line.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 03:08 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I remember Dawes up there. didn't see him a lot with Prucha, Voros, Sjostrom. I remember a lot of Naslund-Gomez-Callahan.
You could be right. I know recently it's be Sjostrom-Dubinsky-Callahan.

He has played on and off with talented players, but it doesn't seem like it's been consistent, and it also seems like he gets paired with guys that are struggling. Cally is no elite offensive talent, certainly, but set him up with two guys that actually belong on a legitimate second line and he looks like a 25-25 guy to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
65 points? I'm hoping for 40 next season. I think Cally shot his load this season. Gotta love the guy, but I think his ceiling's around 20 goals if he plays with b-level top line guys and it's around 15 goals if he's playing on a real third line. That's what I think and there's not much difference between the two and he may be more valuable on that third line with, and I've said this a lot, Dubi. I just like the thought of that kind of third line.
He's been playing with a combination of B-level talent and true third liners though, and he's still looking at 20 goals. Give him a full season with B-level talent and I think he does 25, easy.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not EXPECTING that type of production out of Cally. I think he's an awesome third line-type player, who could fill in on a top line in a pinch. I'm just saying that if the organization decided they wanted to squeeze as much scoring out of Cally as possible, they could definitely give him two decent offensive partners and see 25 goals. he has that ability.

Old
03-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:

Renney had him with Naslund and Gomez for a good part of the year. He may not have been playing with the right guys to complement his style, but having talented wingers certainly wasn't a problem.

In the right situation, I can see 30 or so goals from him, but i don't think he has the offensive-zone vision to get the helpers...although that dish to Dubinsky the other night has me wondering.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 03:20 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Send a message via AIM to ECL
I think that Cally can be a 50 point player at his highest output year.

25+25 or so.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 03:24 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
I still hope that Dubinsky can develop into a solid, 50-60 point 2nd line center. But if he doesn't, I would like a Dubinsky-Callahan combo on the third line. I like the sound of that.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 04:07 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Bingo. I said it when Drury was signed, the one player who will learn the most from Drury will be Callahan because the are so similar. I wouldnt be surprised if Callay eventually became a 60 point player but next season I would consider a bit of a stretch. I would say 50 points for him would be a nice improvement.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 04:17 PM
The Thomas J.*

That's a stretch for Cally, I just can't see him getting 30+ assists.

I can see him cracking the 30 goal mark.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 04:28 PM
Fletch

nyr..

I don't mean to pidgeon-hole Cally into anything and don't mean my post as give up on him today, he's only a fourth liner. Something tells me this is a career year for him and this is the best we'll see. Another part of me wonders if he'd do better if he had more PP time. It's tough - some players just have a ceiling, but are pretty consistent. What is disappointing about him is his total points. Nice goal total, but he needs to get some more points out there.

Sting - I hope the same about Dubi, of course, again, I do have some reservations, but the difference between he and Cally, I think, is that he sees the ice better and is more controlled with the puck as well as distributes it better. He just needs to get it to the right people at the right time and learn how to make the play. He always seems to be around the puck, near the net, getting off the shots, of kicking it out to the guy with some ice, but doesn't seem to get the points and I can't decide if that's just the way it is, or the points will soon come. His totals this season, considering who he played with and his ice time, are pretty disappointing, even for a sophomore. Still thought he was best-served as the third line centerman on this team, not playing with the team's top offensive weapon (Zherdev).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 07:52 PM
DutchShamrock

65 points might be a stretch but to call this season his limit is just as foolish. His game is better under Torts. 8 pts in 6 games now. This style suits him and he will continue the success next year.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 09:11 PM
ManicSubsidal15

Send a message via AIM to ManicSubsidal15
Quote:
I don't mean to pidgeon-hole Cally into anything and don't mean my post as give up on him today, he's only a fourth liner. Something tells me this is a career year for him and this is the best we'll see. Another part of me wonders if he'd do better if he had more PP time. It's tough - some players just have a ceiling, but are pretty consistent. What is disappointing about him is his total points. Nice goal total, but he needs to get some more points out there.

Sting - I hope the same about Dubi, of course, again, I do have some reservations, but the difference between he and Cally, I think, is that he sees the ice better and is more controlled with the puck as well as distributes it better. He just needs to get it to the right people at the right time and learn how to make the play. He always seems to be around the puck, near the net, getting off the shots, of kicking it out to the guy with some ice, but doesn't seem to get the points and I can't decide if that's just the way it is, or the points will soon come. His totals this season, considering who he played with and his ice time, are pretty disappointing, even for a sophomore. Still thought he was best-served as the third line centerman on this team, not playing with the team's top offensive weapon (Zherdev).
If you think that Callahan is only a 4th liner then you clearly havent been watching him at all this season. He's a great 3rd liner with the potential to be a fill in on the top lines once in a while like he has been this year. I see him being a Kirk Maltby/Kris Draper sorta player.

ManicSubsidal15 is offline   Reply With Quote