Notices

Prospect Update thread II

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

vCash: 500
Here's another scout on de Haan:

"I guess if you think in terms of puck-carrying d-men vs. puck-moving, de Haan is the purest of the puck-movers. I think sometimes scouts get too excited by the puck-rushers and forget that the most effective NHL blueliners are the ones who can reliably make the first pass."

He also added that he doesn't think de Haan will be there when Boston's turn comes (barring a move up) but that if he is, to him, it would be a "no brainer" for them to call his name.

Interesting.

Old
03-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
Im not Kirk but I thought I would share my opinion on Rundblad. I would be shocked if Rundblad would fall to us. He played great in the WJC, was good in the Elitserien (the highest level) regular season and has been great in the post season. I still can't believe this kid is only 18. If his performance in the Elitserien post season isn't enough for the scouts, I don't know what is. I laughed out loud when i saw that Rundblad isn't on the ISS march top 30 prospects list. I haven't seen lots of guys on that list, but it's damn near impossible that 30 kids are better than Rundblad and will be taken before him.
Yes, laughabale how a kid that is a star in SEL playoffs, and consistently looks very impressive for his team isn't in TOP 30. No way there are 30 kids that are more impressive than him.

He is way more impressive in his draft year than Erik Karlsson when he was drafted ¹15 last year.

Old
03-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
We attack at 11.

Any chance Dmitri Kulikov is still on the board when we pick?

Old
03-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminated View Post
Any chance Dmitri Kulikov is still on the board when we pick?
No effing way.

Old
03-24-2009, 01:14 PM
reffree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
Here's another scout on de Haan:

"I guess if you think in terms of puck-carrying d-men vs. puck-moving, de Haan is the purest of the puck-movers. I think sometimes scouts get too excited by the puck-rushers and forget that the most effective NHL blueliners are the ones who can reliably make the first pass."

Thats something I like to hear !!!
I will defenetly try to rewatch the prospect game, but the camera doesn't give justice to that kind of player. It's so better live when you can see all the options.

Old
03-24-2009, 01:27 PM
Ratty

This thread seems to have been hijacked to discussion of the 2009 Entry Draft. The original intent was to look at and discuss Boston Bruins prospects.

Mods note: as the season winds down we may need a new thread on the 2009 Draft. Or use Kirk's "Midterm Prospects to Watch "thread.

Old
03-24-2009, 01:27 PM
reffree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Yes, laughabale how a kid that is a star in SEL playoffs, and consistently looks very impressive for his team isn't in TOP 30. No way there are 30 kids that are more impressive than him.

He is way more impressive in his draft year than Erik Karlsson when he was drafted ¹15 last year.

Yep, I know it's kind of strange, but there's so many guy this year who are call "first rounder". Don't tink he'll be there because he's one of the sexiest name among the guy where there's no consensus on. Anyway He'll probably be rank pretty high everywhere when the final list come. Even at this time of the year there's alot of change on the list, the buzz arround Karlsson start late last year but like you said it was enough for him to be draft 15th.

Don't know why, probably because you produce alot of good ones in the late 80's early 90's, but I'm always high on swedish dman, even if I didn't see the guy, if there's a buzz arround a swedish d, I'm always on the bandwagon

Old
03-24-2009, 01:31 PM
reffree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
This thread seems to have been hijacked to discussion of the 2009 Entry Draft. The original intent was to look at and discuss Boston Bruins prospects.

Mods note: as the season winds down we may need a new thread on the 2009 Draft. Or use Kirk's "Midterm Prospects to Watch "thread.
Oh sorry, I'm at fault on this ...
I Appologize and I'll post on Kirk's thread about the draft.

Old
03-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Ratty

No apoligies, necessary, reffree. Just thought it was a good idea, with the draft approaching, to separate that discussion from the Bruins Prospects thread.

Old
03-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Gruntfuttock

Bruins prospect Radim Ostrcil is going to try-out for my hometown team HPK in Finnish Elite League for next season. I don't know how long the try-out will last, but I heard he's already here in Finland and will be training with the junior team until the pro team starts training again.

Old
03-25-2009, 09:24 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
No apoligies, necessary, reffree. Just thought it was a good idea, with the draft approaching, to separate that discussion from the Bruins Prospects thread.
Let's wait until the season's over first. I'll post a new draft thread in May, when we can look at the CSB Final rankings and have a better idea of where a lot of guys stand with Central and the other scouting services.

I think posting it now would be premature, with the Bruins still playing and the playoffs on the horizon.

Old
03-25-2009, 09:26 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Bruins prospect Radim Ostrcil is going to try-out for my hometown team HPK in Finnish Elite League for next season. I don't know how long the try-out will last, but I heard he's already here in Finland and will be training with the junior team until the pro team starts training again.
I hope he skips the doughnuts beforehand.

A source told me that he was one of the worst conditioned (read: fat) players he'd ever seen when Ostrcil showed up to the Ottawa 67's.

Old
03-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Gruntfuttock

Quote:

A source told me that he was one of the worst conditioned (read: fat) players he'd ever seen when Ostrcil showed up to the Ottawa 67's.
Oh crap. I didn't know that. I guess we'll find out soon if there's still something wrong with his work ethic. HPK's coach doesn't tolerate lazy players at all. No matter how skilled they are. Many players have told that the training in HPK is a lot more rough and wise (can't find a better word) than many other places they've been. No wonder, the coach here seems more like an army officer than a hockey coach. BTW, just heard that Ostrcil contacted HPK himself and asked for a try-out.

Old
03-25-2009, 02:30 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Don't expect much. The guy's an absolute garbage hockey player.

Old
03-25-2009, 02:41 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:

I can't remember exactly, but I think his Redline profile red like this:

Four words of advice young man....'put down the fork'.

Old
03-25-2009, 02:57 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Is it safe to say that Ostrcil, even as a mid-rounder, has been the worst B's pick of the new scouting regime?

And that's not a knock....one terrible pick is a pretty good ratio considering the gems they've found. But this kids sounds like he's more suited to be watching from the couch than playing, lol.

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

Old
03-25-2009, 03:43 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Oh crap. I didn't know that. I guess we'll find out soon if there's still something wrong with his work ethic. HPK's coach doesn't tolerate lazy players at all. No matter how skilled they are. Many players have told that the training in HPK is a lot more rough and wise (can't find a better word) than many other places they've been. No wonder, the coach here seems more like an army officer than a hockey coach. BTW, just heard that Ostrcil contacted HPK himself and asked for a try-out.

I give Ostrcil credit for challenging himself by attempting to play at HPK. Perhaps that tough environment is just what he needs to change his approach to conditioning and the game of hockey. It will be interesting to see how he does there. Please keep us informed Moses.

Old
03-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Wonder Boy
2026 Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 View Post
Is it safe to say that Ostrcil, even as a mid-rounder, has been the worst B's pick of the new scouting regime?

And that's not a knock....one terrible pick is a pretty good ratio considering the gems they've found. But this kids sounds like he's more suited to be watching from the couch than playing, lol.
He put up some decent numbers in the Czech Jr. League the year he was drafted. I would guess the B's scouting department was hoping he would work hard on getting himself in proper shape. He was picked near the end of the draft and they also selected a few Defensemen that year....so I guess in theory they are/were hoping that 1 of the Defenseman they selected would have some pro potential. Right now I would say Goulet has the best chances right now....but even then he's a longshot to be a regular NHL player. Sure he has elevated his play in the QMJHL but has he improved his skating? The last time I saw him play for Nebraska he was sloooooooow. If he comes to camp in the fall it will be the best time to evaluate his skillset.

Old
03-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder Boy View Post
Sure he has elevated his play in the QMJHL but has he improved his skating? The last time I saw him play for Nebraska he was sloooooooow. If he comes to camp in the fall it will be the best time to evaluate his skillset.
Still sloooow...but fricking smart and one of those guys who can effortlessly carry the offense (as demonstrated in Gatineau). If he can get to where Dennis Wideman is in his skating, he's got a shot because he brings a similar skillset in terms of his puckmoving skills and offensive instincts. But you're right- in talking to Scott Bradley a few months ago, the skating is still very much an issue, and I was appalled at what I saw from him in two televised games before he bailed on UNO. Granted- he didn't get much playing time in those games, but it was bad. Have to give him credit for jumping ship and giving himself a legitimate chance of being signed by reinventing himself in the QMJHL. Before, I would've said it (Boston signing him) was iffy, but now, with Lashoff gone the B's don't have a lot of players who are signed and in the system who can do what Goulet does. I see no downside to signing him- he's a late-round pick who won't command much $$$ and is still very much a work in progress.

Old
03-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Wonder Boy
2026 Draft Prospect

Quote:
Still sloooow...but fricking smart and one of those guys who can effortlessly carry the offense (as demonstrated in Gatineau). If he can get to where Dennis Wideman is in his skating, he's got a shot because he brings a similar skillset in terms of his puckmoving skills and offensive instincts. But you're right- in talking to Scott Bradley a few months ago, the skating is still very much an issue, and I was appalled at what I saw from him in two televised games before he bailed on UNO. Granted- he didn't get much playing time in those games, but it was bad. Have to give him credit for jumping ship and giving himself a legitimate chance of being signed by reinventing himself in the QMJHL. Before, I would've said it (Boston signing him) was iffy, but now, with Lashoff gone the B's don't have a lot of players who are signed and in the system who can do what Goulet does. I see no downside to signing him- he's a late-round pick who won't command much $$$ and is still very much a work in progress.
I agree 100%. I see no reason why the B's wouldn't give him a chance in Providence. Skating is something that can be fixed with hard work. Bergeron did it on his own dime before he arrived at his 1st camp. If Goulet has the same work ethic I see no reason why he wouldn't get a chance....but IMO it all comes down to how much he wants it.

I look at the Habs young team and see what they are doing off the ice and it makes me wonder how bad some of those kids want it. IMO not as much as I originally thought.

Any news on Brock Bradford?

Old
03-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder Boy View Post

Any news on Brock Bradford?
Negatory.

Providence hasn't heard of Bradford heading there, so don't think it will happen if there's no word on the street.

Got a possible response on Reul and Arniel, but not definite given their current playoff dispositions.

No word on Sauve, who's sitting at home right now, but not a good sign because his season's been done a week and with no movement, doesn't look like it will come to pass or at least the team would have some kind of indication of it happening.

Old
03-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
We attack at 11.

Last season we had a bunch of guys jump over to Providence.

Any reason why Sauve or Bradford wouldn't want to come over?

Old
03-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Mike B.

Quote:
Fantastic numbers for a slooooow defenseman. Is he anything like Kevin Dallman (who, BTW, is putting up fantastic numbers in the KHL)?

Old
03-26-2009, 04:30 AM
Alan Ryan

Matt Kalman on the progress of Jeff Penner in Providence

In The Bruins Blog, Matt Kalman writes about the significant progress made by Jeff Penner in Providence this season. Jeff has stepped into a top four role after the Matt Lashoff trade and is producing for Providence. Have the Bruins found another free agent gem?

At the AHL level, the departure of Lashoff opened up playing time for first-year pro Jeff Penner at Providence. All the P-Bruins rookie has done since March 4 is put up 3-2-5 totals and a plus-7 rating while playing top-four minutes for a second-place club.

“It’s been great. Everybody loves the opportunity to get a little more responsibility,” Penner told TheBruinsBlog.net before Providence went 1-1-1 last weekend. “And I relish the responsibility and I’ll take as much ice time as I can get.”

Lashoff was dealt with the P-Bruins in the midst of their longest road trip of the regular season, which took them to six different cities over the course of 10 days. Head coach Rob Murray said that in Manitoba at the tailend of the trip, Penner actually logged in excess of 30 minutes to help Providence make it to a shootout in one loss and then hang close in a 2-0 loss the next night.

Once the P-Bruins returned to the Northeast for divisional play, Penner really hit his stride — capping off a 3-0-0 weekend for the team by scoring two goals in a win over Lowell March 15.

Read the full article: http://www.thebruinsblog.net/2009/03...ear/#more-2873

Old
03-26-2009, 08:00 AM
Saxon Eric

Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
Quote:
Negatory.

Providence hasn't heard of Bradford heading there, so don't think it will happen if there's no word on the street.

Got a possible response on Reul and Arniel, but not definite given their current playoff dispositions.

No word on Sauve, who's sitting at home right now, but not a good sign because his season's been done a week and with no movement, doesn't look like it will come to pass or at least the team would have some kind of indication of it happening.
Its one thing if there hurt or burned out and need a little break before coming down but if they don't even show up? can't be the money as its a open ended pro rated ATO, what a bummer

Closed Thread