HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Revenge is a dish best served cold. Hurricanes at Panthers: 7:30pm

Old
03-24-2009, 08:32 AM
Guy

vCash: 500
I'll take the victory, eventhough it's obvious that God, Jesus, Gary Bettman, the New World Order, and a consortium of other secret world agencies have clearly aligned themselves with the Hurricanes to elevate us to legendary status to help us singlehandedly keep the Panthers franchise downtrodden and playoffless for the rest of time.

Kudos to Greg Louganis for his pregame instruction and the East German judge for leading us to victory over the league's best franchise ever, the certainly capable of going 82-0-0-0 Florida Panthers.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 08:57 AM
daikan
sad times

Send a message via MSN to daikan
The Canes now have the second longest (current) winning streak in the league, with 4 in a row.

daikan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 09:49 AM
wolfofthesteppes
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
Remember, the higher you raise your hopes the more it is going to hurt when the failboat strikes.

I'll never forget last season and i am not talking about P word until it is done.

Amen. Just keep collecting points.

03-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
Remember, the higher you raise your hopes the more it is going to hurt when the failboat strikes.

I'll never forget last season and i am not talking about P word until it is done.

Exactly. I'm trying not to let my emotions get to high here. We're in good shape yes, but this is far from over.

I remember all to well the empty feeling of missing out last year based on game #82.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 12:41 PM
WoodGundy

I will admit that I did not think this team was capable of a run like this. I would have probably wagered on the Canes and Slugs trading places first.

No coincidence that the timing matches the return of Brind'Amour. What a difference having three dangerous lines makes. Also, much credit to Ward for a pretty solid season.

JR is probably drafting Mo's lifetime contract.

WoodGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 12:58 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Exactly. I'm trying not to let my emotions get to high here. We're in good shape yes, but this is far from over.

I remember all to well the empty feeling of missing out last year based on game #82.
Exactly. And its not like we've got that easy of a schedule. It helps that 4 of our last7 are at home, but its not going to be an easy ride. There is still plenty of time for the failboat to revert its course back to Cane Country.

Last 7 games:
vs Ottawa - Sens are hot right now, going 9-1 in their last 10. They have confidence that they can still make the playoffs.

at Jersey (twice) - We will likely get Marty both games. Not saying we can't win, but I doubt we sweep the series with them.

vs Rangers - they have grabbed the reigns like Pittsburgh/Carolina and playing some good hockey now.

vs Pittsburgh - see Rangers

vs Islanders - we all know what almost happened Friday night. Hopefully that was a lesson learned and we don't make the same mistake.

vs Buffalo - will Buffalo be out or will they still be in the race? Miller will likely be back as well.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I know this is going to seem like major hyperbole, but Cam Ward should actually get enough votes this year to put him in the Top 5 for Vezina voting.

3rd in the NHL in Wins with the highest save percentage of the Top 5.

14th among qualified goaltenders for goals against after last night. Irregular starters like Hiller, Clemmenson, Conklin, and Khabibulin can be eliminated due to games played as realistic options to garner Vezina votes. Perhaps Pekka Rinne as well. Among established number one guys, he's 9th or 10th.

6th in the NHL in saves.

T-8th in the league in SOs with 5.

One of 6 NHL goaltenders to play 60 games this year. Kiprusoff, Turco, Lundqvist, Backstrom, and Bryzgalov. Cam has the statistical edge over them all save Backstrom and his system may hurt him.

If he finishes the year strong, there may be a chance he's in the crowd when they announce it.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:34 PM
Old Uncle

There are no guarantees for any of the remaining games.
If the Fat Lady is riding in the failboat then sinking is a definite posibility.

Old Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:59 PM
WoodGundy

The team definitely seems to have a fragile psyche and one or two bad games could result in a slide.

Let's hope the addition of Cole and the resurgence of Brind'Amour will get us at least 4 of the last 7.

Old
03-24-2009, 04:45 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I know this is going to seem like major hyperbole, but Cam Ward should actually get enough votes this year to put him in the Top 5 for Vezina voting.

3rd in the NHL in Wins with the highest save percentage of the Top 5.

14th among qualified goaltenders for goals against after last night. Irregular starters like Hiller, Clemmenson, Conklin, and Khabibulin can be eliminated due to games played as realistic options to garner Vezina votes. Perhaps Pekka Rinne as well. Among established number one guys, he's 9th or 10th.

6th in the NHL in saves.

T-8th in the league in SOs with 5.

One of 6 NHL goaltenders to play 60 games this year. Kiprusoff, Turco, Lundqvist, Backstrom, and Bryzgalov. Cam has the statistical edge over them all save Backstrom and his system may hurt him.

If he finishes the year strong, there may be a chance he's in the crowd when they announce it.
I don't know about the Vezina yet but Cam Ward still gets slighted all around HFboards. People still don't think he's an above average #1 because he hasn't posted stats like he did when he won the Conn Smythe, which is idiotic to me. With his workload his numbers are very good, IMO. Can't believe some people think goalies like Martin Biron are better than him because of Biron's slightly better stats.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caner Soze View Post
I don't know about the Vezina yet but Cam Ward still gets slighted all around HFboards. People still don't think he's an above average #1 because he hasn't posted stats like he did when he won the Conn Smythe, which is idiotic to me. With his workload his numbers are very good, IMO. Can't believe some people think goalies like Martin Biron are better than him because of Biron's slightly better stats.
Well, I see Mason as a mortal lock for the Vezina at this point. I think that this year the other candidates are wide open. Tim Thomas could occupy the 2nd spot and the 3rd spot could go to anybody. Leading candidates are Backstrom, Nabokov, and Ward IMO. I think the voting should end up looking like this:

1. Mason
2. Thomas
3. Nabokov
4. Ward
5. Backstrom

With the injuries to Broduer, Luongo, Miller, Dipietro, Kiprusoff having a down year, etc. the race has just been wide open this year. I think Ward could crack into the Top 5 with that considered. I never attempted to say he'd win it though, that's a few years away.

If Ward can finish the season as hot as he has been recently, he could leap frog Backstrom there for being a finalist.

If Ward could finish as the only goaltender to win 38+ games with a better than .91 save percentage and a lower than 2.55 goals against you'd have to think there would be some votes thrown his way.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 06:07 PM
WoodGundy

Agreed that Mason and Thomas are probably locks.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kiprusoff number three based on past feats of strength and the fact he will have all of his team's W's this year