HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Vapor stiffness question skates..

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-24-2009, 04:11 PM
  #1
ALF AmericanLionsFan
Registered User
 
ALF AmericanLionsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 500
Vapor stiffness question skates..

Going to try some skates on tomorrow. I was wondering if the Vapor XXXX were a stiffer boot than the Vapor XXV? Or are they the same? Would a higher end skate be stiffer than a lower? Will be trying some Bauer one75 as well and was wondering the same thing...

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 04:48 PM
  #2
Carboneer
Registered User
 
Carboneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Higher end models = stiffer boot, thats the rule. stiffer is better, because it translates more of your power to your stride

Carboneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 05:53 PM
  #3
ALF AmericanLionsFan
Registered User
 
ALF AmericanLionsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carboneer View Post
Higher end models = stiffer boot, thats the rule. stiffer is better, because it translates more of your power to your stride
What if your an intermediate player? Still better? Or is a stiffer boot restrictive to a mid level player?

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 05:55 PM
  #4
TheShoe82
No Diving!
 
TheShoe82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF AmericanLionsFan View Post
What if your an intermediate player? Still better? Or is a stiffer boot restrictive to a mid level player?
It depends how often you are skating. I found the Vapor XXX waaaaay too stiff for my liking. The stiff boots are so that they dont wear out as easily, for the NHLer or the person who skates hard everyday. Id go with a boot that was less stiff.

I tried on the XX's and liked them, but settled on a XIV or something like that due to price. The difference in both skates was negligible.

TheShoe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 05:57 PM
  #5
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!
 
adaminnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pickering ON & N-NJ
Country: Canada
Posts: 667
vCash: 50
Skates won't exactly make you faster or use your edges better, but if you want to get better you need the right skate.
Buy the best skate you can afford and learn to make them work for you.

I skate on XXXs player skates and XIX goal skates.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 05:58 PM
  #6
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF AmericanLionsFan View Post
What if your an intermediate player? Still better? Or is a stiffer boot restrictive to a mid level player?
you would have to get used to it. the XXV is a very good skate. it is a very light skate. if you arent playing a high level, it probably isnt worth getting the XXXX over the XXV


the one75's are on the same level as the vapor XXXX. they are a different fit but still, im not sure if its worth spending 4 large if you arent going to notice a difference

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 06:18 PM
  #7
ALF AmericanLionsFan
Registered User
 
ALF AmericanLionsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 500
I play 3 times a week and want a good skate (as well as the right fitted one) that would last me awhile.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 06:32 PM
  #8
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF AmericanLionsFan View Post
I play 3 times a week and want a good skate (as well as the right fitted one) that would last me awhile.
the xxv is something i would still look into. ive read good things about it and its durability

you might not like the fit of the vapor though, so yea, definitely try a few brands and models on

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 06:33 PM
  #9
ALF AmericanLionsFan
Registered User
 
ALF AmericanLionsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
the xxv is something i would still look into. ive read good things about it and its durability

you might not like the fit of the vapor though, so yea, definitely try a few brands and models on
Yeah, I'm wondering about that as well...which I why I thought that maybe I should also look at the Bauer one75 or I guess one55 as far as fit wise. I have Tacks currently,but I continue to get blisters after three years and that is making me very weary of CCMS

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 06:36 PM
  #10
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF AmericanLionsFan View Post
Yeah, I'm wondering about that as well...which I why I thought that maybe I should also look at the Bauer one75 or I guess one55 as far as fit wise. I have Tacks currently,but I continue to get blisters after three years and that is making me very weary of CCMS
there is a pretty big drop off between teh one 75 and the one 55. alot bigger drop off than the XXXX and the XXV.

tacks have usually been a wider boot. vapors are pretty narrow....

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 06:49 PM
  #11
ALF AmericanLionsFan
Registered User
 
ALF AmericanLionsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
there is a pretty big drop off between teh one 75 and the one 55. alot bigger drop off than the XXXX and the XXV.

tacks have usually been a wider boot. vapors are pretty narrow....
that sucks concerning the one75's and one55's. I was hoping they would be the route to go if the vapors don't fit properly...

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 06:56 PM
  #12
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF AmericanLionsFan View Post
that sucks concerning the one75's and one55's. I was hoping they would be the route to go if the vapors don't fit properly...
see if they have one90s. that i think would be inbetween the one55 and one75. they probably wont cause i think they stopped making them

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 07:10 PM
  #13
ALF AmericanLionsFan
Registered User
 
ALF AmericanLionsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
see if they have one90s. that i think would be inbetween the one55 and one75. they probably wont cause i think they stopped making them
wouldn't those be stiffer than the one 75? Or were they slightly different?

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 07:15 PM
  #14
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF AmericanLionsFan View Post
wouldn't those be stiffer than the one 75? Or were they slightly different?
the one75 is an updated improved version of the one90. i think the one90s had some sizing issues and the steel broke easily or something, so i think the stiffness is probably pretty similar. im not sure they would hvae one90s anyway cause i think they stopped making them

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 07:20 PM
  #15
ALF AmericanLionsFan
Registered User
 
ALF AmericanLionsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 500
Ok...just hope I can find what i need tomorrow...just don't want to get the wrong skate...

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 08:08 PM
  #16
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,452
vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
the one75 is an updated improved version of the one90. i think the one90s had some sizing issues and the steel broke easily or something, so i think the stiffness is probably pretty similar. im not sure they would hvae one90s anyway cause i think they stopped making them
Tendon guard. The one 75 is the exact same boot as the one 90, minus the durability problems.

BTW, the one 75 fits shallower then the One 95/55.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 08:36 PM
  #17
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Tendon guard. The one 75 is the exact same boot as the one 90, minus the durability problems.

BTW, the one 75 fits shallower then the One 95/55.
how much of a downgrade is the one55 to the one75?

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 04:50 PM
  #18
ALF AmericanLionsFan
Registered User
 
ALF AmericanLionsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 500
Got one75...tried on a bunch of different brands and it honestly came down to the vapors and the one 75's...really couldn't decide which way to go...the one 75 felt a tad bit more comfortable so I went with those...hoping i made the right choice...Also hoping the break in period is not long...I didn't get them baked...

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 04:56 PM
  #19
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF AmericanLionsFan View Post
Got one75...tried on a bunch of different brands and it honestly came down to the vapors and the one 75's...really couldn't decide which way to go...the one 75 felt a tad bit more comfortable so I went with those...hoping i made the right choice...Also hoping the break in period is not long...I didn't get them baked...
they are really really nice skates. i would get them baked if it were me.

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 05:19 PM
  #20
ALF AmericanLionsFan
Registered User
 
ALF AmericanLionsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
they are really really nice skates. i would get them baked if it were me.
Yeah, I had every intention to do it,but the owner said the skates break in so fast he is not too sure how much of a difference it really makes. I don't know...I'm a bit nervous heading out tomorrow to skate with a new boot to begin with,but we will see I guess.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 10:20 AM
  #21
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,543
vCash: 500
Ha Gunnar, look at you adding another to the list of One75 converts. I am still loving mine. These are the first skates I've ever had where I didn't have even the slightest pain/blistering while breaking in. Granted I had them baked, but these skates were perfect from the moment I first stepped on the ice.

Interested to see if Alf had a similar experience.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 01:03 PM
  #22
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
Ha Gunnar, look at you adding another to the list of One75 converts. I am still loving mine. These are the first skates I've ever had where I didn't have even the slightest pain/blistering while breaking in. Granted I had them baked, but these skates were perfect from the moment I first stepped on the ice.

Interested to see if Alf had a similar experience.
hahaah i know i should be getting paid for this

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 02:17 PM
  #23
ALF AmericanLionsFan
Registered User
 
ALF AmericanLionsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 500
Well, will be skating tonight for the first time....should have had them baked...a bit nervous heading out...I hate breaking in skates...hoping it's not a long period...

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 05:58 PM
  #24
ALF AmericanLionsFan
Registered User
 
ALF AmericanLionsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 500
Skated Friday without baking them and I was quite surprised in how it wasn't that bad, my other skates were nightmares the first five or so times out.......stiffness will take a bit more time as well as getting used to the pitch they have. I did go back Sat to have them baked and skated today in our playoff game and I'm quite happy with them. I still can't get over how comfortable these skates are...I'm very happy at this point with this choice..

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 06:02 PM
  #25
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Skates these days have a break in around nil.

Mind you, i only use Missions and have never baked and they have ALL been great out of the box (3 in the last 6 or so years).

Glad your skates are working out for you.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.